Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

You do understand that they can negotiate a new deal yeah? You do understand that other non EU countries have negotiated deals yeah?

They haven’t been very successful at negotiating so far.

What makes you think they can up their game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You do understand that deals are not done overnight, and will probably come with the UK conceding some of its new found "independence" for a deal.

Because of course, the UK needs the EU far more that the opposite.

Not true. Plenty of countries smaller and larger than the UK survive without being in the EU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

I am in a building for about 30 minutes daily that has Sky News on a telly mounted on the wall.

The death of that african dictator proved to be a welcome break for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You do understand that they can negotiate a new deal yeah? You do understand that other non EU countries have negotiated deals yeah?
    Yeah but they take time, quite a bit in some cases and involve good faith. I think the general point is that they will almost instantly exit a whole lot of EU programmes or EU-agreed external deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PostWoke wrote: »
    I am in a building for about 30 minutes daily that has Sky News on a telly mounted on the wall.

I heard on The Guardian Politics podcast comments that some people are afraid to watch the news anymore because it will only talk about Brexit!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

is_that_so wrote: »
    I heard on The Guardian Politics podcast comments that some people are afraid to watch the news anymore because it will only talk about Brexit!

https://twitter.com/OFOCBrexit/status/1169640443501527040?s=09

Funny stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

biko wrote: »
    More Scots wanted to remain in UK, than UK people remain in EU

No they didn't. 2millon Scots voted to remain in UK. 16 million UK voters wanted to remain in EU. How did more Scots vote to remain in UK?

Besides, as already said, alot of Scots voted on the basis that they'd still be in the EU. And the whole "Better together" campaign.

Ironically, "Better together" didn't seem to apply to the Brexit vote. And now as a result, (as has been pointed out) Brexit has increased the risk of the UK breaking up. Scots may vote for independence as the goalposts have been moved.

Those that wanted Brexit, may have contributed to the breakup of the very Union they cherish.

is_that_so wrote: »

I genuinely feel these tellies have had at least some impact on my mental health. People saying exactly the same stressful things for months with no changes except for the gob****e saying them. All I can think about is the 50,000 projected lost jobs because of Brexit and this recession economists keep threatening because the U.S. Bond's yield curve has inverted.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Balanadan wrote: »

Still cracking up at this. The delivery is perfect :D

Allinall wrote: »

Well Teresa May was terrible, giving the EU everything they wanted. "Hey can we have 39 billion?" Yeah OK!!

Boris has had his best bargaining chip taken away from him. He wanted a deal. People in this forum don't understand negotiation at all

• Advertisement

Id rather stick rusty nails in my eyes than watch Sky "News"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Boris has had his best bargaining chip taken away from him. He wanted a deal. People in this forum don't understand negotiation at all

"I will blow my own brains out unless you give me what I want" is not smart negotiating.

This ****e, royal baby ****e, on the odd occasion something actually relevant. The news equivalent of a gossip mag. So dumbed down and repetitive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Well Teresa May was terrible, giving the EU everything they wanted. "Hey can we have 39 billion?" Yeah OK!!

u do understand that they can negotiate a new deal yeah? You do understand that other non EU countries have negotiated deals yeah?

That was your statement.

Point 1. England are not a non EU country.

Point 2. England have shown zero ability to negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lol, it's not like sauntering in to PC World and negotiating a price match with Harvey Norman across the retail park you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get Real wrote: »
    No they didn't. 2millon Scots voted to remain in UK. 16 million UK voters wanted to remain in EU. How did more Scots vote to remain in UK?
    Well, you cannot count in absolute numbers as Scots are in the UK and counted thus.
    It has to be percentage.

55% of Scots wants to be part of UK
    48% of UK wants wants to be part of EU.

The Scottish "leavers" took the vote seriously and accepted the result as democracy in action.
    The UK "remainers" are protesting since the result and have not accepted democracy in action.

It is being blown out of proportion. Do you know anything about her case? How much of the documentation have you read? Just the tiny portion of it that is flashed on the screen for less than a second? She did not show enough evidence therefore the application was rejected. She has until the end of 2020 to fill the form out properly, it is FAKE NEWS. You accuse me of not doing my homework yet you have done none yourself.

She has been in the UK for over 50 years, she is not going to be kicked out, it is blatant scaremongering.

Without even reading that post, I am sure it is a balanced and fair view into your earlier comments, backed up with evidence from your own research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

More idiocy.

The €39bn was money Britain already owed. Like the golf club analogy earlier. They're cancelling their sub, but haven't paid their fees. And sooner or later, they will pay it.

Boris didn't have any chips, because he ISN'T NEGOTIATING. THERE ARE NO NEGOTIATIONS.

The only person here who doesn't understand negotiation is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Doris is finished the weakest pm in history, nige is the man

This ****e, royal baby ****e, on the odd occasion something actually relevant. The news equivalent of a gossip mag. So dumbed down and repetitive too.
    Dumbed down, it's for a t british audiance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The UK "remainers" are protesting since the result and have not accepted democracy in action.
    More than 67% of UK voters voted to remain in 1975. It's almost like people can change their mind as a situation evolves.

mikhail wrote: »
    More than 67% of UK voters voted to remain in 1975. It's almost like people can change their mind as a situation evolves.
    Indeed, and 67% has now decreased to 48%.
    The problem is people not respecting democratic process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The Irish government will soon be gettin 15% on everything coming from the UK..............that’s a lot of dosh ............Happy Days indeed.........

What version of Brexit did the leavers vote for?

What version of Brexit did the leavers vote for?
    The one where they actually get to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It increased back to 51% as early as a year and a half ago. The political response to that from leavers has been to stick their fingers in their ears and loudly shout "wibble" until people stop asking them hard questions.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2018/jan/26/guardian-icm-brexit-poll-full-results

Or lying to the voter base about what you can provide if they vote your way, and taking advantage of people who are susceptible to scare mongering.

The one where they actually get to leave.

What version is that?
    What was on the ballot paper?

mikhail wrote: »
    It increased back to 51% as early as a year and a half ago.
    That is not how voting works. You had your opportunity.

• Advertisement

Doris thinks the gun he uses is pointed to his foot but everyone can see it's pointed to his head
    When they ask him not to shoot he thinks its more regulations from Brussels

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement