Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

davedanon wrote: »
    Can I ask people to desist with the homophobic crap re: Leo Varadkar. It's ignorant, crude, unfunny and offensive. I've reported each one. Give it over, for chrissakes. I have a gay son, and I'm fûcked off with this ****, quite frankly.

Mod: Agreed. That user was carded and several replies/comments about it were deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Anyone that thinks the EU's chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier is 'a clown', needs to look down at their own footwear. I have a feeling they are somewhat overlong....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Look here's the thing, regardless of who ran Lisbon 2 (the EU, the Irish Gov) and regardless of weather there were reassurances and rewording, it was a move that red pilled a tonne of people. They should have at least given it a few years, but exactly one year? Christ, that was bad. To me, democracy was killed and I became an advocate of smaller and smaller government.

AND then they made voting Yes compulsory, mandatory, and said the Revenue would be collecting those yeses.
    I've been on the run all these years cos I voted No.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Anyone that thinks the EU's chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier is 'a clown', needs to look down at their own footwear. I have a feeling they are somewhat overlong....

Had to laugh when Boris proudly announced the UK were upping the ante and now attending meetings two days a week to get a new deal. Less than 3 months to Brexit and he says 2 meetings a week!!

FFS, Barnier and his team have said they are available to meet 7 days a week if needs be. Thats what needs to happen if they want a deal.

There is only one side acting the clowns and dragging their feet here and its not the EU side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Have you read it? Obviously not! An example of how retarded it is would be the claim that the UK would run out of fuel. This is despite the fact the the UK does not buy ANY fuel from the EU. The claims about medicine and food shortages are equally stupid. Can you name one person who signed off on the document other than "Doctor Nick"? Do civil servants represent senior government? The government have publicly stated that there will be "bumps on the road". There is no denying that

This was a government commissioned report. The U.K. has supply lines that traverse the EU, hence the worry about fuel and medicine whether either originate in the EU or not.

• Advertisement

It's a partially-leaked, internal government report. How is it even possible to read it, if it hasn't been released in full?

Have you read it? Obviously not! An example of how retarded it is would be the claim that the UK would run out of fuel. This is despite the fact the the UK does not buy ANY fuel from the EU. The claims about medicine and food shortages are equally stupid. Can you name one person who signed off on the document other than "Doctor Nick"? Do civil servants represent senior government? The government have publicly stated that there will be "bumps on the road". There is no denying that

Not sure about the fuel example but you saying the UK doesn't buy any from the EU as if that invalidates a government report tells me you don't actually understand that all of the UK's deals around the world are as part of the EU.

Do you understand that? All deals disappear. It doesn't matter if a good is from the EU or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I work for a living.

Hopefully they get to block a no deal. Britain voted to leave but a deal in place beforehand just makes sense.

Although I don't actually care either way

Erm, I also work for a living, it's pretty easy to get the basic facts after the work day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Calina wrote: »
    The UK left cos it wanted to control its borders. It has one land border. Which it is screaming it won't control.
    This is psychotic.
    We're the special ones. That's why we, and only we, have the CTA with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

recedite wrote: »
    In your hypothetical, Ireland is somehow in the EU single market, but outside the EU. So lets say we were like Norway.
    Not being in the EU we would have been allowed to negotiate a free trade deal directly with the UK, instead of standing idly by on the sidelines watching the clown Barnier trying to do it, as we have done over the last 3 years.

The point of my hypothetical was we weren't able to reach a free trade deal before the UK left the EU, we would therefore no longer be able to trade with them under the terms of our deal with the EU and would still have to put checks at the border without the EU or anybody making us. But otherwise yes, the UK would have been able to negotiate a trade deal with us separately, just as they've done with all the other countries they've negotiated deals with in the last 3 years ... Oh wait.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The UK would have been able to negotiate a trade deal with us separately, just as they've done with all the other countries they've negotiated deals with in the last 3 years ... Oh wait.

They can't negotiate any FTAs while still an EU member

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    AND then they made voting Yes compulsory, mandatory, and said the Revenue would be collecting those yeses.
    I've been on the run all these years cos I voted No.

:p

Well there was a fair amount of scaremongering for the second vote to be fair. I remember INTEL getting involved with posters on bus stops (the cheeky fu_cks) & one of the referendum commissions ads was blatant (cannot find it on YouTube)

"If you vote yes blah blah blah, if you vote no......... blah"

Boris trying to set up an election pact with Farage and his gang.

https://twitter.com/Adam_SH69/status/1170112132970684416?s=19

Well there was a fair amount of scaremongering for the first vote to be fair.

Fixed that for you.

Not sure about the fuel example but you saying the UK doesn't buy any from the EU as if that invalidates a government report tells me you don't actually understand that all of the UK's deals around the world are as part of the EU.

Do you understand that? All deals disappear. It doesn't matter if a good is from the EU or not.

60-70% of their energy is either produced by themselves of is shipped from the US. The other 30-40% is imported from Europe & Norway via pipelines. Do Europe not sell energy to non European countries or something? Will they just stop selling to the UK as a big FU to one of their largest customers? Give me a break please.

They can't implement them while still a member.
    Here's a list of deals negotiated, and Trump has stated he wants a deal concluded within one year.
    They want to do it within a year, I’d love to do it within a year, but that’s a very fast timetable,” he told Sky News. Earlier, before the two leaders began a trade-focused bilateral meeting, Trump said he was looking forward to discussing big numbers with Johnson.

Of course he is....
    Corbyn would be forced to agree because he has already committed to opposing a No deal Brexit.
    Boris, on the other hand has committed to honouring the referendum. The parliament can legislate against No Deal but they cannot force Boris to go cap in hand to Brussels asking for more time, Teresa May style. He won't do it.
    So Boris wins either way. The jackpot for him is calling an election now but holding it after Brexit day. Farage and co then stand down or form an election pact, allowing Boris to return with an overall majority. He then dumps the DUP and negotiates a free trade agreement very quickly with the EU, by agreeing to the Irish Backstop demands and paying over some cash.
    Sinn Fein's plan to provoke a UI border poll on the back of an EU imposed hard border come to nothing, and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson earns the title he has already bestowed on himself - Minister for the Union.

Fixed that for you.

Indeed, there was scaremongering for both votes, particularly for the second.

Boris and his "gang" will win, you, me and the dogs on the street know it. Why? Because the British people want to leave the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Here's a list of deals negotiated, and Trump has stated he wants a deal concluded within one year.
    They want to do it within a year, I’d love to do it within a year, but that’s a very fast timetable,” he told Sky News. Earlier, before the two leaders began a trade-focused bilateral meeting, Trump said he was looking forward to discussing big numbers with Johnson.
    They will sell to ye but it won't be on credit anymore, too risky after Oct 31 or whenever he leave

• Advertisement

Boris and his "gang" will win, you, me and the dogs on the street know it. Why? Because the British people want to leave the EU
    If doris doesn't take the t brits out on Oct 31st hes finished in britian, he mite even go back to Turkey

Andean countries
    CARIFORUM trade bloc
    Central America
    Chile
    Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) trade bloc 
    Faroe Islands
    Iceland and Norway
    Israel
    Liechtenstein
    Pacific states
    Palestinian Authority
    South Korea
    Switzerland

Fair enough, I thought they had to wait until they were out. So, these are completed trade deals. Wow, some BIG HITTERS there, economically speaking.

And, for the nth time, Trump is talking out of his vast arse. Pelosi and the Ways & Means Committee control this, and the UK is getting jack **** if the GFA is compromised.

The misinformation never stops around here.

I don't quite follow the 'logic' here. Boris doesn't look like a confident politician to me. He looks terrified and completely out of his depth.

doris could be going to prison, sky news could go 'pay per view' and not lose a single customer in Ireland, this is brilliant

If doris doesn't take the t brits out on Oct 31st hes finished in britian, he mite even go back to Turkey

They will be gone on the 31st, mark my words

doris could be going to prison, sky news could go 'pay per view' and not lose a single customer in Ireland, this is brilliant

He hasn't done anything that is without precedent, he will not be going to prison. More fake news by the remoaners.

I don't quite follow the 'logic' here. Boris doesn't look like a confident politician to me. He looks terrified and completely out of his depth.

He was a successful mayor of London and is the PM of the UK among many other career achievements (whilst still relatively young) and he doesn't look like a confident politician to you :confused:

He hasn't done anything that is without precedent, he will not be going to prison. More fake news by the remoaners.
    Could be a good for ye, if doris goes down, nige gets top job and takes ye out,

He was a successful mayor of London and is the PM of the UK among many other career achievements (whilst still relatively young) and he doesn't look like a confident politician to you :confused:

He was a terrible mayor. The bendy buses, the garden bridge. He could be the shortest serving PM in history. He lost his first 4 votes. His own PMs rebelled against him and he expelled them. He's made Corbyn look like a statesman. He's turned the Conservative party into the Brexit party. And he's being harangued by people every time he appears in public and has no idea how to deal with it.

• Advertisement

Could be a good for ye, if doris goes down, nige gets top job and takes ye out, I think brexit had broke him, he's not up to it mate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement