Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Are any of our players liable to get a suspension similar to Peter harte for Tyrone?
    There's no queues for tickets now, either, maybe there isn't as much demand as anticipated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Capacity in Killarney cut from 38,000 to 31,900. Id imagine should easily be enough

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/fitzgerald-stadium-capacity-reduced-for-kerry-v-mayo-clash-935703.html
    The inability of the main stand at Fitzgerald Stadium to cater for all Kerry and Mayo season ticket holders has seen the capacity of the Killarney venue reduced by over 6,000 for this Sunday's Super 8 fixture.

Kerry County Board chairman Tim Murphy confirmed this morning the capacity of Fitzgerald Stadium has been lowered from 38,000 to 31,900 for this weekend's All-Ireland quarter-final round-robin game.

But despite this 16% reduction, the Kerry official is confident demand for tickets will not outstrip supply and that no supporter will be left empty-handed.

The main stand at Fitzgerald Stadium can hold in and around 7,500 people, according to the county board chairman, but this figure is reduced when the portion of seats allocated to the respective teams and members of Ard Comhairle are factored in, while the front row will not be in use because of the obstructed view it offers.

The remaining number of seats would not be enough to accommodate the almost 7,000 season ticket holders from the two counties and so all tickets for the game state general admission, rather than specifying entry to the main stand or any particular terrace.

The main stand will be filled on a first come, first served basis. And once all seats have been taken, the turnstiles leading into the main stand will be shut, with queuing supporters directed to the terrace.

Because of the number of season ticket holders, primarily the Mayo season ticket holders, I think they have around 4,500 season ticket holders and we’d have in between 2,000-2,500, you couldn’t guarantee every season ticket holder a seat in the stand. So for that reason, entry has been made general admission

"Basically, it will be first come, first gets into the stand. But because of that, the health and safety people reduced the capacity by around 6,000. To allow for the free movement of people on the day, there has to be a lesser number of people within the stadium on health and safety grounds."

Murphy added: "I think the capacity of 31,900 will be adequate. We are expecting a crowd of somewhere around 30,000."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

So am I right in thinking that the stand is a free for all until filled? Season ticket holders don't get preference? That's how it reads to me, as everyone will be General Admission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Call me Al wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking that the stand is a free for all until filled? Season ticket holders don't get preference? That's how it reads to me, as everyone will be General Admission.

That too is my understanding.

The stand in Killarney is just a load of long wooden benches, I don't think they even have backs.

The benches are divided into individual "seats" with faded paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Stoner wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Looking forward to it... sounds like you want to tog out for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Are any of our players liable to get a suspension similar to Peter harte for Tyrone?
    There's no queues for tickets now, either, maybe there isn't as much demand as anticipated?

Don’t believe any of ours have accumulated many cards, yet at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That too is my understanding.

The stand in Killarney is just a load of long wooden benches, I don't think they even have backs.

The benches are divided into individual "seats" with faded paint.

And some ar$es are more equal than others so be careful down there or you could end up sitting on someone's lap!!

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1147569228075208704?s=19

James Carr goal has 8 million views, gone viral worldwide even featuring on ESPN Argentina...

Can imagine the conversation over in Buenos Aires...."look at this team called Mayo, look at the scoring forwards they develop"

PARlance wrote: »

James Carr goal has 8 million views, gone viral worldwide even featuring on ESPN Argentina...

Can imagine the conversation over in Buenos Aires...."look at this team called Mayo, look at the scoring forwards they develop"

This will totally trigger a huge number of begrudgers and trolls.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Maradona-esque even with hand ball !;)

Better than I remembered, best mayo goal I've seen I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I can guarantee that there's debates going on in the Amazonian Jungles whether Horan should risk Leeroy from the start on Saturday.

8 million views though, that's unbelievable. It will surely go down as one of the best we've scored of all-time. Take a bow young James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I hope he's kept grounded!

PressRun wrote: »
    I hope he's kept grounded!

Bit of Junior football in the autumn should do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Bit of Junior football in the autumn should do that.

Funny you say that. I recall mickey harte stating how because brian dooher played for a junior club, he had developed exceptional solo running ability, presumably because in every game he was carrying the ball a massive amount.
    Could be something to it

Saying that, the defending was chronic there. I doubt he will get as soft a run as that in the junior championship this year, nevermind the rest of the all ireland series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

Blackjack wrote: »
    This will totally trigger a huge number of begrudgers and trolls.

Why??????

snowgal wrote: »
    Why??????

Jealousy, begrudgery, general misery and loneliness too probably. I can’t pretend to understand the motivations of those types of folks but you see them on here occasionally. They’re all over Social media usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Wait it till gets goal of the year and watch the moaning start from the dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

irishgeo wrote: »

In fairness I'd say the majority of Gaa/sports fans appreciate watching a sublime piece of skill no matter team they support.

gigantic09 wrote: »
    In fairness I'd say the majority of Gaa/sports fans appreciate watching a sublime piece of skill no matter team they support.

This is true. It’s the noisy minority that have little to do that will find some weasel words to add.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »
    This is true. It’s the noisy minority that have little to do that will find some weasel words to add.

True to a point. But if paul mannion scores a similar, yet not quite as good a goal, then that whinging will probably come to pass, long and loud. Look at the poty debates. Mccarthy not even in the shakeup for it prior to the final in 17, puts in a very good second half display after being moved off oshea as he was completly on top of him in the first half, and the response is he was robbed of poty. Crazy stuff.
    Cluxton for an allstar was similar. Cluxton saved a penalty and made one good one on one save all year, while clarke does more than that in his amazing triple save from a penalty against dublin in the league, allied with a string of massive performances, and the response was cluxton was robbed.
    The world just revloves around dublin for a lot of these guys. Its cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Off topic a bit, but can anyone recommend a good place in Dublin city centre to watch the game on Sunday? I cant make it down to Kerry, and Im not so familiar with town since the childer came along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Off topic a bit, but can anyone recommend a good place in Dublin city centre to watch the game on Sunday? I cant make it down to Kerry, and Im not so familiar with town since the childer came along...

I second this...

Up in my partner's for the weekend in Dublin, not back till Monday, but would love to just get out of the house sunday for a while

There's a sh1t-ton of sport on sunday, with a hurling game, the Wimbledon final and Grand Prix on at the same time. Might just go to Sinnotts as they'll show Mayo for sure, and can half keep an eye on the other stuff, as they've a load of screens

I'm not a fan of it at the best of times but a Sunday aftrenoon should be manageable in there I'd say (and no rugby on :) )

I'm dreading going to a smaller spot and a group of Tipperary fellas roaring to show the hurling :pac:

True to a point. But if paul mannion scores a similar, yet not quite as good a goal, then that whinging will probably come to pass, long and loud. Look at the poty debates. Mccarthy not even in the shakeup for it prior to the final in 17, puts in a very good second half display after being moved off oshea as he was completly on top of him in the first half, and the response is he was robbed of poty. Crazy stuff.
    Cluxton for an allstar was similar. Cluxton saved a penalty and made one good one on one save all year, while clarke does more than that in his amazing triple save from a penalty against dublin in the league, allied with a string of massive performances, and the response was cluxton was robbed.
    The world just revloves around dublin for a lot of these guys. Its cringe

I'd hazard a guess and say that it's actually your world which revolves around Dublin!!!

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess and say that it's actually your world which revolves around Dublin!!!

And your guess would be wrong. Im not that interested in dublin truth be told, they just arent my thing. The build up to our game with kerry this weekend has been low key and you can see both sets of fans are just interested in the football and looking forward to the game. Its not personalised, its not ugly, its just football - the way it should be. If it was dublin we were playing there would be several facebook and media campaigns on the go with a load of stuff about players and nasty crap in general going on. So what dublin bring doesnt really appeal to me.

However, Dublin and the issues surrounding them take up a large part of the gaa landscape at present. It would reflect better on the game if that wasnt the case, but it is. Finding issue with people who discuss these issues is kinda disingenuous, they are the hot topics in the gaa today.

jr86 wrote: »
    I second this...

Up in my partner's for the weekend in Dublin, not back till Monday, but would love to just get out of the house sunday for a while

There's a sh1t-ton of sport on sunday, with a hurling game, the Wimbledon final and Grand Prix on at the same time. Might just go to Sinnotts as they'll show Mayo for sure, and can half keep an eye on the other stuff, as they've a load of screens

I'm not a fan of it at the best of times but a Sunday aftrenoon should be manageable in there I'd say (and no rugby on :) )

I'm dreading going to a smaller spot and a group of Tipperary fellas roaring to show the hurling :pac:

Avoid The Palace then! Good shout with Synnotts, might head there

U-20 Connacht Final tonight in Tuam.

Would be great to win another title there again in the space of 5 days and do the three over Galway. If it's anything like last Friday it'll be some game.

U-20's looked great against Sligo last week but you'd expect Galway to give it a good rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Would be great to win another title there again in the space of 5 days and do the three over Galway. If it's anything like last Friday it'll be some game.

U-20's looked great against Sligo last week but you'd expect Galway to give it a good rattle.

Galway seem to have a good team this year too. And they have put a lot of effort into this U20 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

irishgeo wrote: »

Is there actually a goal of the year award ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Whats Up ? Why are there No rumours about Mayo on the Go ? No Rumours is very worrying;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I know! Amazing how the rumours dry up once a team wins a few games!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really looking forward to it!Two teams it appears with a lot of potential to go far in the All Ireland series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭muddle84

Avoid The Palace then! Good shout with Synnotts, might head there

I always like O'Shea's on Lower Gardiner street for GAA games. Its a good pub with a strong Kerry connection, also strong Dublin connection( did the owner play for dublin?) and its popular with Mayo people too so it should be a good atmosphere.

Are you in the centre or on the outskirts lads? Plenty of good pubs just outside.

Dame Tavern would be a favourite of mine, small but good attmosphere. You've got plenty of fall backs right beside it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Rody Bolands in Rathmines is always a good spot to watch the GAA

Are you in the centre or on the outskirts lads? Plenty of good pubs just outside.

Dame Tavern would be a favourite of mine, small but good attmosphere. You've got plenty of fall backs right beside it as well.

Cheers. Coming in from Howth, so anywhere in the city. Cant go wrong around there alright - Im just thinking of somewhere that will have the sound on, as opposed to the screen on with music blaring

Is there actually a goal of the year award ?

Probably on balls or punditarena or Joe or one of those.
    It would be irrelevant if it does exist but would still be sufficient to release some weirdos from beneath bridges.

Great crowd in Tuam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

HT Galway 10 mayo 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Sounds like a case of shooting ourselves in the foot so far.

Mayo 0-4
    Galway 0-10

After a bright start Galway well on top at half time.

Decent breeze will need to be utilised in the second half.

Well beaten, not at the races at all.

Mayo 0-10
    Galway 0-16

Tommy Conroy our standout player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well beaten at the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Cheers. Coming in from Howth, so anywhere in the city. Cant go wrong around there alright - Im just thinking of somewhere that will have the sound on, as opposed to the screen on with music blaring

If you're coming in from Howth, a stop off at Harry Brynes along the Howth road might be in order. Lovely pub.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Well beaten, not at the races at all.

Mayo 0-10
    Galway 0-16

Tommy Conroy our standout player.

Towey played well when he got on the ball I thought, Evan o brein was good going forward but rubbish defensively, an awful lot of cheap turnovers given up, Galway were very tigerish and intense, always made the correct choices too

• Advertisement

Towey played well when he got on the ball I thought, Evan o brein was good going forward but rubbish defensively, an awful lot of cheap turnovers given up, Galway were very tigerish and intense, always made the correct choices too

I'm really excited about Tommy Conroy,oozes natural talent.We're not exactly flaithulach with truly gifted forwards coming through.

IMO he's a certainty to progress into the senior ranks long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

Can’t understand how any team in the modern era doesn’t seem to have any kick out strategy game except for drive it down the middle, an area we got fairly cleaned out in today.
    Persisting with the same tactics even when they obviously were not working doesn’t bode well for Sloan chances of every getting the Mayo Senior gig.
    Very poor performance against a Galway team that didn’t even play that well.

KW will soon knock that out of them.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    KW will soon knock that out of them.

Hopefully :D

Riddled with mistakes, bad handpassing and too many cheap turnovers as you said. The ten minutes before half-time and the ten after the restart was the losing of the game and we never looked like getting back into it.

We didn't do ourselves any justice. Galway looked much slicker up front.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement