Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Billcarson wrote: »
    Solstice takes place today at 3.54 pm. Can't wait for the nights to get longer again. This time of yr does my head in.

Why is that .......I’m genuinely interested ?

I love brightness and daylight and need it, I suffer from SAD a bit .
    But I also feel that there is more pressure to be doing stuff , everybody is outside doing things, I feel a bit weird and guilty coming inside before 9pm even though I’d often prefer to !

Im off now to celebrate the Solstice with an evening walk along the headland at Clogherhead.

Ever since I've been a kid I've always preferred the longer nights. I think a few weeks either side of the solstice just doesn't feel natural with so little darkness. I've always been an autumn winter person more so then a spring summer one. I also love the quietness of a cold dark winters night . One time of yr i love is around halloween a magical time of yr imo. The angle of the sun on the coloured leaves etc the autumn chill and the coming of winter etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Cork and Waterford

Outbreaks of heavy rain during Sunday will lead to rainfall accumulations of 25 to 40mm, with the highest values in coastal areas.

Valid: Sunday 23 June 2019 06:00 to Sunday 23 June 2019 18:00

Issued: Saturday 22 June 2019 17:00

Updated: Saturday 22 June 2019 17:00

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Leinster

Scattered thundery downpours will push northwards later Sunday and for a time on Monday. Rainfall totals of 25-40mm are possible in some areas over a short period.

Valid: Sunday 23 June 2019 18:00 to Monday 24 June 2019 06:00

Issued: Saturday 22 June 2019 17:00

Updated: Saturday 22 June 2019 17:00

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

I found today chilly in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

alentejo wrote: »

Where in Dublin ? We sat out in the garden in t shirts in a lovely bit of warm sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭highdef

alentejo wrote: »

Wasn't in Dublin today but I see that (at Dublin Airport) it was generally about 16c this afternoon with a bit of an onshore breeze so I'd imagine anyone not sheltered and close to the coast may well have found it quite chilly. In fairness, 16c in late June is not exactly warm. We had several degrees warmer in February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭esposito

highdef wrote: »
    In fairness, 16c in late June is not exactly warm. We had several degrees warmer in February.

It’s pathetic for late June, let’s be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Max temps today from synops

Shannon Airport; 19.7c
    Belmullet; 19.5c
    Casement Aerodrome; 19.4c
    Mullingar; 19.1c
    Claremorris; 19.0c
    Gurteen; 19.0c

Dublin Airport with 17.1c was among the coolest.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Where in Dublin ? We sat out in the garden in t shirts in a lovely bit of warm sunshine

In Terenure and Raheny. Sea breeze near the coast. Just a chill in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

Little bit chilly in City Centre but it was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I was on bull island beach and in St Anne's park and found it lovely

Every one is different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

esposito wrote: »
    It’s pathetic for late June, let’s be honest

Well DA got up to just over 17c eventually and Casement and PP were a degree or so higher. Those temps are almost bang on average for their locations for the time of year.

Also 16 or 17 in the sun in June will be far different and warmer than 16 or 17 in February.

I went swimming today in the 40 foot and found it lovely - particularly when the sun came out.

Yes it wasn't sweltering heat but this is Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

compsys wrote: »
    Well DA got up to just over 17c eventually and Casement and PP were a degree or so higher. Those temps are almost bang on average for their locations for the time of year.

Also 16 or 17 in the sun in June will be far different and warmer than 16 or 17 in February.

I went swimming today in the 40 foot and found it lovely - particularly when the sun came out.

Yes it wasn't sweltering heat but this is Ireland!

Yes this is Ireland but I have to agree with those who find 16C in late June pretty pathetic. And ok you can't compare 16 in June with 16 in February, neither are welcome in either month imo

But we do all differ widely in our perception of heat, cold and what is or isn't a good temperature. Personally, no way will I swim outdoors in anything less than 25C at an absolute minimum. And in winter I'm a real cold lover!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

acequion wrote: »
    Yes this is Ireland but I have to agree with those who find 16C in late June pretty pathetic. And ok you can't compare 16 in June with 16 in February, neither are welcome in either month imo

But we do all differ widely in our perception of heat, cold and what is or isn't a good temperature. Personally, no way will I swim outdoors in anything less than 25C at an absolute minimum. And in winter I'm a real cold lover!:pac:

I get your point. I just think we need to remember that we live in Ireland and 17 to 20c, which is pretty much what we all got today, is pretty much average/normal for us.

You’d be surprised how pleasant swimming in Ireland can be! I’d only do it June to end September mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Back in Ireland tonight after a week in southern France, cloudless skies and mid 20's every day down there with overnight lows of 18-20C, perfection. Not a bad evening to come back to to be fair though I see tomorrow is due to be a washout

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking at temperatures over the next week from the gfs predictions:

tomorrow looks cool with plenty of rain, with the north of the country getting the highest temperatures, mid teens at best for most of us but the temperature will be irrelevant with lots of rain.

Monday is the first day with a warming effect, possibly reaching 21C in a few places, with high teens in most places. Could possibly be the warmest day of the summer so far in some areas.

Tuesday is similar, possibly getting to 22C in a few select areas if there are decent sunny breaks inland.

The rest of the week see's 19C to 23C generally, then leveling off to 20C next weekend. Nothing properly hot on any of the GFS profiles next week, but I suspect these temperatures are undercooked by several degrees, so 24 to 26C is a definite possibility if conditions are decent.

Even if these rather uninspiring temperature highs are the max we get, next week will definitely be warmer than anything we've experienced this year so far.

BBC is still showing high teens for most of next week in Dublin, with a 20 or 21C possible by Wednesday, then high teens into next weekend.

BBC is showing up to 25C for western Ireland, a definite improvement over temperatures on the east coast.

Met Eireann are indicating low 20s and possibly mid 20s to locally higher for mid week.

ECM looks warmer with temperatures possibly reaching 27 or 28C here next week, but whos right? Hopefully we will know more by Monday and the ECM proves right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

woke around 2 am to heavy hard rain. Dark skies now and very still. west mayo offshore island. Off out to pick my green leafy vegetables from the garden for my Sunday dinner before anything worse than rain arrives :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Sooooo dark. Is the rain due earlier than I expected Booo.
    NE Galway

Still dry here in Dublin but ME radar show some right crap about an hour away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing rain here in cork city. Hope it clears up in a while for all the bonfires that are organized!

Lashing rain here in cork city. Hope it clears up in a while for all the bonfires that are organized!

Bonfires for what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

lawred2 wrote: »
    Bonfires for what?

Bonfire night of course!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Bonfire night of course!

Lol

I lived in Cork City for a decade after growing up in the North of the county and never once heard of a bonfire night in June.

But then here you go

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/community/community-initiatives/bonfire-night.html

No idea how that passed me by entirely.

Only bonfire night I was aware of was in the UK on the 5th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lol

I lived in Cork City for a decade after growing up in the North of the county and never once heard of a bonfire night in June.

But then here you go

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/community/community-initiatives/bonfire-night.html

It’s a great night really and they are getting better at keeping it under control. There are organized community events now in togher park, knocknaheeny, Mahon and other communities and it’s actually a really great community event in which people usually wouldn’t meet up! It may also be more a city then county thing! I think dublin do it on halloween? Stand to be corrected though :p

Oh well here’s to praying that the organizing work for this won’t be a waste! Forgot the Ironman was on in youghal again today too, this should really test their strength haha

It’s a great night really and they are getting better at keeping it under control. There are organized community events now in togher park, knocknaheeny, Mahon and other communities and it’s actually a really great community event in which people usually wouldn’t meet up! It may also be more a city then county thing! I think dublin do it on halloween? Stand to be corrected though :p

Oh well here’s to praying that the organizing work for this won’t be a waste! Forgot the Ironman was on in youghal again today too, this should really test their strength haha

What happens up here in Dublin at Halloween is far from organised. Knack bag stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lol

But then here you go

Bonfire night / Oiche Tine Cnáimh isn't a Cork thing, it's been an Irish tradition for probably hundreds of years. Safe to say it's going to be a washout tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

They had St Johns Night in the West last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Came here to read about the weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

woefully wild, wet, windy out here; the leafy greens will live to grow another day as not about to get soaked.

Did get a short walk in before this got set in but only 2 of the cats came...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

From what I hear the swim was cancelled for Ironman so the rain is really affecting that competition. In can't be much fun cycling in this weather either. As for bonfires, they won't be happening with 40mm of rain due today

• Advertisement

Still dry in Dublin

Advertisement