Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

25 degrees at midnight.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

ukmaxtemp.png

Even if it doesnt happen its an incredible chart to witness,watching the 20 degree isotherm approach the east coast of Ireland,im going to save this image.

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

Was out for a walk a while ago and caught what appears to be a funnel cloud over the shannon between Kerry and Clare

https://ibb.co/tQ5PM6Y

https://ibb.co/FsPPKgg

https://ibb.co/DG3zyqT

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Finally done Leaving Cert exams now and I come home to a drunk GFS again, oh dear.

The UK Met Office has now come in line with the GFS for potential for a serious plume of heat over southern uk next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Heat lasts 4 days then the big freeze is back. And our heat (20 to 24c) comes with rain everyday

pauldry wrote: »
    Heat lasts 4 days then the big freeze is back. And our heat (20 to 24c) comes with rain everyday

it wont be raining all the time everywhere,and the return to cool conditions isnt resolved yet as some runs show a continuation of the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Indeed, the NAO could make or brake the rest of Summer 2019 (or make my forecast a bust or not!). Will it go the way of many years since 2007 (negative) or will it do something unique like 2018? We shall see.

https://twitter.com/WorldClimateSvc/status/1141786766783012865

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Am back early tomorrow morning into Kerry. So what can I expect? It looks as if temps are recovering a bit but is that collective wishful thinking?

While I hate leaving the heat I can't wait to be back in my quiet house and be back with beloved pets.

Savage always does love its native shore and we rarely get it all.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

1st shower of the day here now, and its absolutely belting down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This time next week...

ECMOPEU12_168_2.png

7f38caf71cab8e72b3ec31b3cb5dff9a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'll believe it when I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

33ybo8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Somebody's bound to get hit hard by thunderstorms if heat that intense spreads into Britain, I don't feel like the models have a very good handle on the details of this yet.

It also reminds me of the brief hot spell around 30 June and 1 July of 2015 which was a break from otherwise cool and unsettled weather in general. However, this will be a longer warm spell (or heat wave in Britain) so maybe a sign of things to come later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

If it does happen, how long is it expected to last? I’m off from next Thursday until the following Monday week :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

leahyl wrote: »
    If it does happen, how long is it expected to last? I’m off from next Thursday until the following Monday week :-P

At the moment, not lasting that long, maybe until next weekend. But this is subject to change. Depends how far west the heat gets. Could be hard to shift

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MTs weekly forecast even with the heat is scutter really..

Buckets of rain, onshore breezes knocking back temps and then by next weekend back to Atlantic crap..

Beggars can't be choosers I suppose but still

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

lawred2 wrote: »
    MTs weekly forecast even with the heat is scutter really..

Buckets of rain, onshore breezes knocking backs temps and then by next weekend back to Atlantic crap..

:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

10.9c Monthly IMT for June so far in Sligo with all but the first day colder or much colder than normal

Last June was 14.7c IMT here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Solstice takes place today at 3.54 pm. Can't wait for the nights to get longer again. This time of yr does my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Billcarson wrote: »
    Solstice takes place today at 3.54 pm. Can't wait for the nights to get longer again. This time of yr does my head in.
    Been in Portugal the past few weeks and can't wait to be home on Monday when I get longer evenings than here and have the option of carrying out whatever outdoor tasks or recreation I may want to do until the late evening.
    Dreading the November to March period when there's little or no usable light after I get home from a normal 9 to 5 shift. Fingers crossed the upcoming ending of the biannual time changes result in us staying in Irish Standard Time all year round so that at least I can get a few bits done outdoors after work from about mid February onwards plus of course also having the benefit of enjoying the extra usable time throughout the winter and early spring period for the days that I'm not working whilst also being able to reap the benefits of those long summer evenings.

The above is the one positive thing that might actually keep me from moving to a warmer climate in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Best time of the year TBH.

I'd suggest investing in some blackout blinds 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Billcarson wrote: »

Also, to avoid confusion with some readers, solstice is at 16:54 local/Irish Standard Time. Bill's quoted time is GMT which is a timezone we are not currently using.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

For those of you looking at the projected nice weather what day is expected to be best day next week? I know it might change but just looking for some idea!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    For those of you looking at the projected nice weather what day is expected to be best day next week? I know it might change but just looking for some idea!

Unfortunately while it will warm up significantly for next week, there doesn't look to be any 'nice' days really. I'm posting this mornings ensemble run for Dublin, you can clearly see the temperature rising quickly from Sunday evening and peaking around Wednesday or Thursday of next week. That's a 25C rise in upper air temperatures from what we have between now and Sunday.

Once we reach the peak of the upper air temperatures, the temperatures fall back as quickly as they rose, and back to current values by next Saturday.

If you look at the lines at the bottom of the image, those are the rainfall spikes, and you can see that from Sunday onwards, that there is alot of rainfall forecasted for the Dublin region all through next week with no dry days. These could be from heavy slow moving showers or thunderstorms or longer outbreaks of rain. This won't be BBQ/suncream/Bucket and Spade weather.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=0&date=2019-06-21&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I've missed every good thunder event over the last few years, due to been on holidays somewhere.. I'm going away next Friday, my bet is any good thunder and lightning show will start at 5.30pm next Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks for your post Gonzo. I took annual leave last year during 2 hottest days + was best decision ever + 2 days were spent on the beach. No point having the heat with heavy rain. Sure then you can't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Very humid in the west today but a cool breeze then catches you out. A jacket on/off day.

We could have some very sticky weather in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Exams finished, weather you can now become warm and nice (and a few thunder storms) please and thanks!

It was lovely all morning and afternoon in cork. Currently it's clouding a bit but still warm and humid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Perfect out here . Caught up with washing and dried it in the sun.. sat out with my work and my cats... any warmer would be too much.
    Living in a metal box can have issues.

Today is perfect

It has been a little challenging, these last cold days, but nothing drastic or to make into a drama.

Just day by day. And whatever, fine. .

And so many utterly glorious dawns and cloud formations .. early walks in the growing light. Watching puddles form then soak in and my garden blossom . And the magnificence of the ocean in all its moods .

Content with whatever comes. As one thing is certain that we cannot change it;; just adjust and be at peace with it

west mayo offshore suntrap

Advertisement