Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

jimmynokia wrote: »

Quite ominous skies in Kildare now

74198094-0-FFE-43-BA-8-D77-79-BCAF87366-B.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Lighting struck a tree before once beside the tee off when I was playing golf i was about to tee off well I dropped the club and ran...

Reminds me of this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

pad199207 wrote:
    Quite ominous skies in Kildare now

Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where are these many areas?

Coastal areas affected by sea fog and/or sea breeze. Areas stuck under prolonged cloud cover or showers.

The Dublin and Cork regions, which account for almost half the county’s population, don’t look very hot on any of the temp charts or forecasts I’ve seen. They’ll reach 22 maybe. Pleasant but hardly anything to start issuing warnings or getting hyped up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rain has arrived in West Clare.

• Advertisement

compsys wrote: »
    Coastal areas affected by sea fog and/or sea breeze. Areas stuck under prolonged cloud cover or showers.

The Dublin and Cork regions, which account for almost half the county’s population, don’t look very hot on any of the temp charts or forecasts I’ve seen. They’ll reach 22 maybe. Pleasant but hardly anything to start issuing warnings or getting hyped up about.

Sea fog, while it will be there, probably won't be very prominent due to an easterly flow (as opposed to a mere sea breeze).

Dublin and Cork aren't 'many areas', and even a few kilometers inland from a sea breeze it can begin to warm up quickly. Geographically speaking, most of the country will be getting will into the mid 20's.

Nobody's issuing a heat warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭celt262

Are we going to get washed out of it tomorrow in Clones for Ulster Final. Game starts st 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

celt262 wrote: »
    Are we going to get washed out of it tomorrow in Clones for Ulster Final. Game starts st 2.

You may find it dry on arrival but probably at some point before the end of the game you will have some heavy showers or continuous rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I still think next weeks temperatures may be uneventful in eastern parts of Leinster, up to maybe 20 to 50 km inland, but we'll see, also nobody really knows who much rain/cloud we will get and how little/much sun there will be. Those factors will play a huge role in temperatures.

I am more interested in the thunderstorm potential because it's so rare, almost a once in a lifetime event for something proper. Will we see a proper 1985 event next week? who knows, but I think once again the sweet spot of high temperatures and humidity combined with instability will play a huge role in that, so I'm thinking greatest risk of this will be the south-western half of the country.

It's still a bit too far away to guess where storms will happen and what the highest temperatures will be, there is alot on the table to play for, some of us will be very dissapointed with a non-event while others could do great with high temperatures and decent thunderstorm activity, certainly an interesting week of weather watching to come, but it could all be very localised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Significant levels of 'CAPE' moving up from the continent for later next week on the latest ECMWF:

wODM26v.png

Demented looking clouds here earlier this evening, but in keeping with the tradition of the Irish weather, all bark and feck all bite.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

With stories of cows getting killed or stunned in the milking parlour or under a tree I have insurance to cover me if I lose cows to lightning.

The GFS jumping onboard on the 18z run.

Heat spell is fairly set now in my opinion, the question is how hot, and what thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heavy rain in Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Gonzo wrote:
    I am more interested in the thunderstorm potential because it's so rare, almost a once in a lifetime event for something proper. Will we see a proper 1985 event next week? who knows, but I think once again the sweet spot of high temperatures and humidity combined with instability will play a huge role in that, so I'm thinking greatest risk of this will be the south-western half of the country.

Just remember from last year we all thought we'd would get good storm but it hugged the whole east coast neber came inland let's hope for something special this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

While the synoptics for this coming week are definitely interesting, looking at the actual ground level forecasts they're nothing special from what I can see, temperatures low to mid 20's at best with plenty of cloud and rain. Certainly an improvement on anything we've seen so far but hardly spectacular.

Hopefully a few decent thunderstorms around though from my 13 or so years following this forum I know 99% of the time thunderstorm forecasts turn out to be a damp squid :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

While the synoptics for this coming week are definitely interesting, looking at the actual ground level forecasts they're nothing special from what I can see, temperatures low to mid 20's at best with plenty of cloud and rain. Certainly an improvement on anything we've seen so far but hardly spectacular.

Hopefully a few decent thunderstorms around though from my 13 or so years following this forum I know 99% of the time thunderstorm forecasts turn out to be a damp squid :p

hopefully this time it will work out but I have my doubts. I've been close to 15 years here, and theres been plenty of interesting charts over the years with exciting prospects of thunder and lightning, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen proper lightning here in Meath since the 1990s, maybe I've just had very bad luck but proper thunder and lightning storms are a true thing of rarity here. Sure i've seen the odd flash of lightning and maybe one or two forks in the past 20 years, but those are not exactly storms that the rest of Europe experiences.... hopefully this week is our time to finally get some proper forks and fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Significant levels of 'CAPE' moving up from the continent for later next week on the latest ECMWF:

Yes. I think some lucky places next week will see thunderstorms that are normally only seen on the near continent. The last great visit we had from Biscay was May 2001. Did you get any of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The UK Met is progging some mental numbers for Southern England Weds / Thurs, 35C and high rH. With the long southerly fetch on the air mass we are at this stage bound to see a significant bounce from it. The cold Irish sea could turn Leinster into a mist fest but any kind of battleground potential will set up spectacular storm conditions, especially midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The only downside to this is the high humidity- i will have difficulty sleeping at night next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The only downside to this is the high humidity- i will have difficulty sleeping at night next week!

Hot water bottle filled with ice and cold water can't beat it ha ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

While we are naturally focused on events here potentially quite a serious situation for France in the latter part of the week.

icon-9-135.png?23-00

While we are naturally focused on events here potentially quite a serious situation for France in the latter part of the week.

icon-9-135.png?23-00

Serious heat wave from them, definitely red warnings to be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully this time it will work out but I have my doubts. I've been close to 15 years here, and theres been plenty of interesting charts over the years with exciting prospects of thunder and lightning, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen proper lightning here in Meath since the 1990s, maybe I've just had very bad luck but proper thunder and lightning storms are a true thing of rarity here. Sure i've seen the odd flash of lightning and maybe one or two forks in the past 20 years, but those are not exactly storms that the rest of Europe experiences.... hopefully this week is our time to finally get some proper forks and fireworks.

We had a three day storm in the late 2000s; I had a thunder phobic collie and she nearly literally died of terror. Had to syringe feed her

often see lightning out here; not my favourite sight. We have no tall buildings and no trees and it makes for vulnerability

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

ZX7R wrote: »
    Serious heat wave from them, definitely red warnings to be issued.

Heading to Paris Thursday, I wonder would the likes of Disneyland close if there’s a red warning issued, must look into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

They only issue a status Orange warning for heat if minimum temperature is 20°C or above for one night. Red is issued if this persists for a second and subsequent nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'm in the Algarve, next week just seems to be constant mid 20's , probably a bit far west to be effected

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Manitoban wrote: »
    Heading to Paris Thursday, I wonder would the likes of Disneyland close if there’s a red warning issued, must look into that!

I wouldn't know.to be sure.
    Definitely worth keeping an eye on the local weather reports.
    Hope you and your family love heat

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The lack of activity on this board I think is indicative of the fact folk know that all this talk of violent thunderstorms and high temperatures is unlikely to materialise. Chatting to some folk on UK weather forum and they reckon Ireland won't see any action and certainly no high temperatures. Maybe 21 or 22 in the west. Disappointed I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What happened to the supposed deluge we were promised in the South Dublin area tonight? Yesterday the charts were showing a spike of rain up to 6mm / hour between 11PM and 2AM, now it's just looking like a bog standard "it's gonna rain" night instead. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

What happened to the supposed deluge we were promised in the South Dublin area tonight? Yesterday the charts were showing a spike of rain up to 6mm / hour between 11PM and 2AM, now it's just looking like a bog standard "it's gonna rain" night instead. :mad:

Fizzled out. The same way this weeks exciting weather will also. Charts are a mess and backing away from high temperatures.

Advertisement