Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Housing crisis- the elephant in the room

Options
12346»

Comments

rosmoke wrote: »
    Let me give a few examples.
    When you go to McDonald's what do you think is the ratio of non nationals there?
    Or in Musgrave's warehouse down in Kilcock, youse have any idea how many are foreigners? I think over 85% and it's a big warehouse, quite a few people working there.
    So why aren't Irish taking those low paid jobs? I suspect it's because they are better off on social and I can't blame them, it's unfair that someone on housing list gets a brand new 300k house and others on middle wage can't even dream of it.

I've also been working for a smallish 180 employees Irish tech company where ~40% were foreigners, same with another Fintech I've had the pleasure to work with.
    Foreigners pay taxes and contribute to the economy.
    I suspect there is only a small proportion of immigrants that are abusing the system and does it really matter their race, nationality, religion?
    Is it fair to discriminate people based on their place of birth (nationality)?
    This is a bigger problem and borders or bridges are not a solution on the long term.

I haven't noticed anyone complaining about foreigners who work and pay taxes.

The issue is with those who roll up and demand every service there is, without ever paying a cent of tax.

You're making way too many assumptions just to support your belief.
    I was actually worse off financially in Dublin than I was in Bucharest when I made the move and my wife wanted to go back every day for a year.
    From a business owner to washing toilets in mcdonald's that's a hell of an improvement.

Interesting how everyone forgot about Great Famine now and we're up on that high horse.

We finally agree with something.
    I'm done, goodluck.

You mean the famine where the Irish were discriminated against, and were handed nothing for free?

That's not quite the same thing, now, is it?

Where there is a housing shortage, an influx of people entering the Country further strains existing resources. That's not racist. It's not discriminatory. It is a statement of fact.

Some - not all - Immigrants scam the system. That is also a statement of fact.

So, why can't we discuss it without being accused of racism?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

We're talking about immigrants.
    1 million to 1.5 million fled the country, is it that easy to forget such a terrible period of history?
    I suspect there are more nationals scamming the system than non nationals, where can we send nationals?
    Never said it's rasist, just pointing out that there are also productive immigrants and those productive people are contributing to the society.
    Having stricter immigration laws goes both ways, be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

thomas 123 wrote: »
    I wonder how all the “sure the Irish went to Australia and America” crowd will feel when the UK closes its borders and we start getting all the North Africans who want to live in a welfare state.

Don't worry. They will be the doctors and scientists that were mentioned by that lunatic Angela Merkel. :rolleyes:

If anything I would like an Australian style immigration system introduced into this country. We should not be a soft touch country for immigrants to enter into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

beejee wrote: »
    Ireland for the irish is pathetic.

A country for irish people is pathetic.

Its pathetic for Irish people to have their own country.

Hmmmm….nope. No matter how you say it, you are exhibiting the symptoms of severe brain corrosion, my friend. I wonder how the people that died to win back an actual country for us would feel about your problems?

I suppose it would be a common link between people that don't like reality, that its "too narrow", that somehow having a much broader, incorrect view of factual things will somehow allow them to escape reality.

Its quite child-like, an infantilistic day-dream for corrupted minds.

But fair play to ye for remembering to breathe, I guess :)

It's funny that you are not capable of putting together a coherent point, your entire argument is based on attacking the poster. Good job :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You mean the famine where the Irish were discriminated against, and were handed nothing for free?

That's not quite the same thing, now, is it?

Where there is a housing shortage, an influx of people entering the Country further strains existing resources. That's not racist. It's not discriminatory. It is a statement of fact.

Some - not all - Immigrants scam the system. That is also a statement of fact.

So, why can't we discuss it without being accused of racism?

Because this post pretty much says white immigrants are good non white immigrants are bad and that is racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Is it racist to suggest that while there's a housing shortage and a homelessness issue, no immigration - be it from America, Africa, Europe, Australia, Asia, wherever - should be allowed into the country at all, and no new citizenship should be granted until the problem has been dealt with?

Nativism is the belief that the existing citizens of a country and those new ones born in it should take priority over those wanting to come into it from outside, when the country has a resource shortage problem. The definition of it is "the policy of protecting the interests of native-born or established inhabitants against those of immigrants." That is not the same thing as racism, and it really pisses me off when so many accuse those who are anti-immigration of racism, when in fact they're actually nativists. Nativism is a very natural human trait which goes back to the dawn of the human race and is probably one of the reasons we were successful as a social species to begin with - to attack people who publicly espouse this very common and widespread ideology as 'racist' is ridiculous.
    It's akin to accusing someone who won't give money to charity when he or she is struggling to feed their own children at home - the idea that when push comes to shove, you make sure your own are safe before you go to the aid of anyone else (as is routinely advised at the beginning of every aeroplane journey in relation to putting on an emergency oxygen mask) is somehow immoral or racist defies basic human psychology on many levels, and it's extremely grating to see this fallacy deployed repeatedly in debates on immigration.

We're talking about immigrants.
    1 million to 1.5 million fled the country, is it that easy to forget such a terrible period of history?
    I suspect there are more nationals scamming the system than non nationals, where can we send nationals?
    Never said it's rasist, just pointing out that there are also productive immigrants and those productive people are contributing to the society.
    Having stricter immigration laws goes both ways, be careful what you wish for.

Personally, I haven't forgotten the famine. Neither have I forgotten that the Irish people were discriminated against everywhere they went, and were given nothing free.

There are two ways of looking at that.
    There's the "Let's not let anyone suffer the way our ancestors did" - which has some merit, but it doesn't mean that Ireland is big enough, or rich enough, to support everyone who decides they should have a right to rock up onto our shores.

The other viewpoint is that we've been controlled by another Country before, and it didn't go well for us.
    Therefore, logic dictates that we should ensure we stay in control of our own Country, as opposed to allowing ourselves to be either brainwashed, or guilt tripped into handing over control of who lives here.

That means controlled immigration. So, a mix of people who contribute to society, with what help we can offer to refugees, without turning our own people into second class citizens.

That's what I wish for - without hesitation, and as someone with a non-European son-in-law who agrees entirely with my views....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

people who contribute to society, with what help we can offer to refugees, without turning our own people into second class citizens.

No one has a problem with this.

I think it's the rhetoric used by some people we have issue with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jail

• Advertisement
Advertisement