Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing crisis- the elephant in the room

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭ClintPower

duffman13 wrote: »
    Do you know what our own gypsy unemployment rate is off the top of your head?

High 80's I believe.

We're stuck with the,m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

ClintPower wrote: »
    People are not allowed in to work in warehouses for 9.80 an hour. End result- less rental pressure and employers can no longer take the piss with rates offered.

Not many Irish willing to work these factory jobs. Oh and cleaning jobs for that matter too. All the hardworking migrants are welcome here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Ah waycist thi waycist that.

Serious question or two.

1- Do you approve of councils buying property with the knowledge that tenants will be evicted, so that they can move refugees in?

2- Do you think a Romanian family who worked all of three months should be entitled to circa 10,000 each per annum in dole payments and a social house that, if new, will cost the state anywhere between 140,000 and 350,000?

Can someone explain to me how any of that is acceptable?

If I gave a damn about stuff like that, I'd find somewhere more appropriate than After Hours to bang my drum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭ClintPower

Not many Irish willing to work these factory jobs. .

It's not that they're not willing, it is that it is impossible for an adult to aspire to raise a family and own a house on 9.80 per hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

It's not that they're not willing, it is that it is impossible for an adult to aspire to raise a family and own a house on 9.80 per hour.

Surely solution is e15 an hour min wage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Maybe if “our own” got up of their lazy brown stars they could provide for themselves.

It still comes down to people who have developed a lifestyle where they will not provide for themselves but rather expect society to do it for them.

People who come here from other countries and work, build a life and rent/buy accommodation are not the problem, indeed they must be well sick to see their taxes going to keep “our own” living the fee life and pushing out sprogs to a variety of useless scrounger tow rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

MrFresh wrote: »
    It's about time somebody brought up immigration. It's never talked about.

It seems to be the only thing op and a few others talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Nobody gives a **** about immigration.

They care about their own selfish lives and god bless those people. They care about who they are ****ing who they are not ****ing. They wish they made more money they HATE their bosses. They worry about their kids being bullied they worry about their kids being bullied at school. People are depressed they are upset. People are LONELY. People are worried about their health. They are sick. They are obsessed with that girl/guy they met who doesn't like them back.

Never once has someone at three O'Clock in the morning failed to fall asleep because of immigration!

It's not something people really care about.

I mean i give you ONE wish ...what do you do with it??? Use it for immigration?? No! Not unless you are hitler!

I don't and you don't either.

People pretend they do.

They pretend to sometimes out of shame. Shame of BEING on the dole or being 'a sharon'

Or just anyone that is so shamed in life they will do anything to attain some semblance or respectability from those that shame them.

No one thinks in their spare time about immigration. NO ONE.

They think about their own ****ed up lives.

THIS IS SUCH PRETENTIOUS BULL****.

Yeah lets all be model citizens. Lets be perfect little pillars of respectability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Not many Irish willing to work these factory jobs. Oh and cleaning jobs for that matter too. All the hardworking migrants are welcome here.

The reason being Irish people won't put up with crap conditions and sh1te pay. How can an Irish person who wants to have a decent quality of life compete with immigrants who are willing to work every hour god sends and share a room with five other immigrants all in the same boat sending back home to their family as the crap money here is worth a quite a lot back home. Mass immigration creates a race to the bottom for Irish workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Do you find that amusing?
    What I find amusing is you're banned.

Lulz.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Mass immigration creates a race to the bottom for Irish workers.

You don't care at the picket lines and union meetings.

You don't care at the picket lines and union meetings.

Point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

2- Do you think a Romanian family who worked all of three months should be entitled to circa 10,000 each per annum in dole payments and a social house that, if new, will cost the state anywhere between 140,000 and 350,000?

Let's add a bit more to that one: A Roma family supported by a taxpayer funded quango and which is getting top-notch taxpayer funded legal assistance in its efforts to sue the Irish State to provide the supports mentioned above.

But if you think that one's a try-on, then why not have a look at the Razneas family's attempt (supported, needless to say by a taxpayer-funded Irish quango) to get the same housing support from the Irish taxpayer.

Point is?

Point is?

You don't care about declining workers rights unless you can associate them with immigration.

It's yours to use or put down as you see fit. You OWN them.

Immigrants are somehow simultaneously stealing our jobs and our dole money.

Migrants CREATE jobs. Their taxes subsidize hospitals, schools roads etc.

Immigrants are consumers they support Irish business. They BUY things. They go out to the pub. They go out to dinner.

The World Bank has estimated that increasing immigration by a margin equal to 3% of the workforce in developed countries would generate global economic gains of $356bn (€327bn).

One of the most frequent objections to immigration is that immigrants take jobs from locals. This only makes sense if you think that an economy has a fixed number of jobs to be shared around.

Economies don’t work like that. Economies are dynamic and immigrants enhance that dynamism.

What REALLY drained money from our public services and held down our wages was the banking crash. AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT.

But that does not suit some people's argument.

And WTF don't believe me. Meh no biggie.

I am just gonna sit back and watch you rant about immigration while i live my sweet life. :p

But I warn you. Irish people don't GIVE A ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wonder if there are any Irish people working in the likes of a meat processing factory or a slaughter house these days?

I wonder if there are any Irish people working in the likes of a meat processing factory or a slaughter house these days?

No doubt there are.

You don't care about declining workers rights unless you can associate them with immigration.

It's yours to use or put down as you see fit. You OWN them.

Immigrants are somehow simultaneously stealing our jobs and our dole money.

Migrants CREATE jobs. Their taxes subsidize hospitals, schools roads etc.

Immigrants are consumers they support Irish business. They BUY things. They go out to the pub. They go out to dinner.

The World Bank has estimated that increasing immigration by a margin equal to 3% of the workforce in developed countries would generate global economic gains of $356bn (€327bn).

One of the most frequent objections to immigration is that immigrants take jobs from locals. This only makes sense if you think that an economy has a fixed number of jobs to be shared around.

Economies don’t work like that. Economies are dynamic and immigrants enhance that dynamism.

What REALLY drained money from our public services and held down our wages was the banking crash. AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT.

But that does not suit some people's argument.

And WTF don't believe me. Meh no biggie.

I am just gonna sit back and watch you rant about immigration while i live my sweet life. :p

But I warn you. Irish people don't GIVE A ****.

That's the type of thinking that sees people solely as economic units and not as individuals with families to feed and lives to live.

I never said immigrants are taking our jobs. I said they are willing to put up with poor pay and conditions whereas the Irish want secure conditions and decent pay. In many cases immigrants are happy to work as much overtime as possible in low wage jobs and share the one room with five other immigrants in the same boat so they can split the rent between.

In these cases the only expenses they have are food and rent (which is split up) which is bought as cheaply as possible in the likes of Lidl, Aldi or ethnic shops. This is so they can send money home to their families and with the ultimate goal of going back to their country of origin. As a result Irish people are willing to be unemployed and avoid these conditions as they are resound to the fact they can't compete with immigrants.

The other issue is how can hard pressed Irish families compete rent wise with a number of forgeiners trying to rent the one house/flat all splitting the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

They care about their own selfish lives and god bless those people. They care about who they are ****ing who they are not ****ing. They wish they made more money they HATE their bosses. They worry about their kids being bullied they worry about their kids being bullied at school. People are depressed they are upset. People are LONELY. People are worried about their health. They are sick. They are obsessed with that girl/guy they met who doesn't like them back.

Never once has someone at three O'Clock in the morning failed to fall asleep because of immigration!

It's not something people really care about.

I mean i give you ONE wish ...what do you do with it??? Use it for immigration?? No! Not unless you are hitler!

I don't and you don't either.

People pretend they do.

They pretend to sometimes out of shame. Shame of BEING on the dole or being 'a sharon'

Or just anyone that is so shamed in life they will do anything to attain some semblance or respectability from those that shame them.

No one thinks in their spare time about immigration. NO ONE.

They think about their own ****ed up lives.

THIS IS SUCH PRETENTIOUS BULL****.

Yeah lets all be model citizens. Lets be perfect little pillars of respectability.

You have quite the insight into other people’s minds there. You could maybe do it on stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I am pro positive net immigration. However numbers matter.

And if countries can have a points system then all the better although that is not open to Ireland.

I am pro positive net immigration. However numbers matter.

And if countries can have a points system then all the better although that is not open to Ireland.

There should be an EU wide points system for non EU immigrants wishing to live and work within the EU.

• Advertisement

I never said immigrants are taking our jobs.

You did and you say it again in this post.

You are living in the 1800s. There are entire businesses that Irish run that cater to the immigrant market.

Tescos have entire polish sections.

Immigrants CREATE employment.

They are also in highly skilled jobs or often in management.

The entire gambling industry is propped up by the Asian community! It would quite frankly collapse without them!

Russians and Polish throw money around like its snow!

Nigerians always have the latest fashion gear etc.

And no they don't live 8 to a bed.
    That's the type of thinking that sees people solely as economic units and not as individuals with families to feed and lives to live.

I never said immigrants are taking our jobs. I said they are willing to put up with poor pay and conditions whereas the Irish want secure conditions and decent pay. In many cases immigrants are happy to work as much overtime as possible in low wage jobs and share the one room with five other immigrants in the same boat so they can split the rent between.

In these cases the only expenses they have are food and rent (which is split up) which is bought as cheaply as possible in the likes of Lidl, Aldi or ethnic shops. This is so they can send money home to their families and with the ultimate goal of going back to their country of origin. As a result Irish people are willing to be unemployed and avoid these conditions as they are resound to the fact they can't compete with immigrants.

The other issue is how can hard pressed Irish families compete rent wise with a number of forgeiners trying to rent the one house/flat all splitting the rent.

I reckon they are here to stay.

They Irish now boy!

You have quite the insight into other people’s minds there. You could maybe do it on stage.

Don't give me any credit. I had it told to me by very great people. I had nothing to do with it.

I have no talent for the stage. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

MrFresh wrote: »
    It's about time somebody brought up immigration. It's never talked about.

No politician will touch it with a barge poll in fear of the liberals and lefties attacking them. They would be destroyed by state media RTE and special interest media like Newstalk within days. These people have pundits at the ready to turn anyone who does question it into fully paid up members of the KKK.

FG want to increase the population by a million within a few short years where do people think these lads and lassies will be coming from flipping Harvard?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

They certainly do.

They have floor polish sections, shoe polish ones and I believe French polish ones too.

where do people think these lads and lassies will be coming from flipping Harvard?

They're smarter than me anyway.

You are living in the 1800s. There are entire businesses that Irish run that cater to the immigrant market.

They are mostly run by immigrants for immigrants such as Polish or Halal shops. Tesco would still be in business from native Irish customers even if they didn't have a Polish section.
    Immigrants CREATE employment.

They are also in highly skilled jobs or often in management.

And that is why I'm in favour of controlled legal immigration and would like to see an Australian style points system where immigrants that fulfill the nessecary skills and come and work in the jobs where there is a shortage of skilled Irish workers.

Immigration should be used to benefit the host country not the immigrants themselves but that's not what's happening here.
    The entire gambling industry is propped up by the Asian community! It would quite frankly collapse without them!

Would be no loss. Gambling is a scourge on society that prays on the poor, weak and vulnerable.
    Russians and Polish throw money around like its snow!

Nigerians always have the latest fashion gear etc.

Not what I've seen from any Poles I've come across most I've come across are looking to save as much money as possible for when they go back to Poland on holidays or permanently. Also the Polish economy is growing anyway so more are staying at home.

I'd say most of the latest fashion gear the Nigerians are wearing is obtained on the black market.

They certainly do.

They have floor polish sections, shoe polish ones and I believe French polish ones too.

OMG EVERY TIME I google polish i get that problem. I was trying to google polish saddles ...got saddle polish. :rolleyes:

They're smarter than me anyway.

Same here I mean they're excellent at finding new creative ways at scamming the system.

They are mostly run by immigrants for immigrants such as Polish or Halal shops. Tesco would still be in business from native Irish customers even if they didn't have a Polish section.

And that is why I'm in favour of controlled legal immigration and would like to see an Australian style points system where immigrants that fulfill the nessecary skills and come and work in the jobs where there is a shortage of skilled Irish workers.

Immigration should be used to benefit the host country not the immigrants themselves but that's not what's happening here.

Would be no loss. Gambling is a scourge on society that prays on the poor, weak and vulnerable.

Not what I've seen from any Poles I've come across most I've come across are looking to save as much money as possible for when they go back to Poland on holidays or permanently. Also the Polish economy is growing anyway so more are staying at home.

I'd say most of the latest fashion gear the Nigerians are wearing is obtained on the black market.

Newp designer gear from brown thomas mate ..the real mccoy.

Gambling and gaming industry is like any other.

Poles Russians always the latest phones the latest cars. Spend a lot on hobbies too actually.

I think it's us Irish who are tight with our money.

• Advertisement

Same here I mean they're excellent at finding new creative ways at scamming the system.

Awesome I am a quick study! :cool:

Advertisement