Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

And it's why I always wear a cap now :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Christopher Strasser is out for a spin. For last 137hrs, including time stopped, he has been averaging 26km/h.

He has crossed the Rocky mountains in that time to. For perspective the great Joe Barr, M2M return record holder is over 1000km behind

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He is a full state ahead of his nearest rival, incredible, but can he keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

CramCycle wrote: »
    He is a full state ahead of his nearest rival, incredible, but can he keep it up

2018 1. Place - Race Across America
    2017 1. Place - Race Across America
    2014 1. Place - Race Across America
    2013 1. Place - Race Across America
    2012 2. Place - Race Across America
    2012 1. Place - DOS-RAS Extreme
    2011 1. Place - Race Across America

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That's all well and good, but why didn't he win it in 2015 and 2016.
    And I note, he was only 2nd in the 2009 24 hour Le Mans race.
    It has to raise doubts about his ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

meh. He's only been on the podium once at the Race Around Ireland.

I don't see a boards hill climb challenge or an Evil 200 in that list, not having a go, just saying :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Christopher Strasser is out for a spin. For last 137hrs, including time stopped, he has been averaging 26km/h.

He has crossed the Rocky mountains in that time to. For perspective the great Joe Barr, M2M return record holder is over 1000km behind

That’s some going. I commuter 126km last week and I was tired. I need to talk to my legs.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can anyone suggest to me a light rain jacket that I can take with my on long cycles where the weather isn't guaranteed to hold up, but that I can fold up small enough to comfortably stow in a jersey pocket?

There seems to be a bewildering array of options available at all sorts of price points and I'm finding it difficult to pick something. Would something like this offer any protection from showers or do I need to spend more?

The stuff that seems to be decently waterproof also seems to be kind of heavy and maybe more suited to winter cycling, are there any decent compromises for Irish summer cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I have the jacket linked above and it stows nicely in my jersey pocket

• Advertisement

I have the jacket linked above and it stows nicely in my jersey pocket

Thanks - how do you find it in the rain?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's usually in his jersey pocket.

(gets coat).

keane2097 wrote: »
    Thanks - how do you find it in the rain?

It's grand tbh, a bit sweaty but it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have a Montane Featherlight rain smock. It's very light, and folds down into a drawstring bag about the size of an apple. It's pretty waterproof; you can see the rain beading on it in showers. After a while it's does get wet, but I find it keeps you reasonably warm when it does soak through eventually, and it dries quickly for the return journey, if there is one. I use it all year round, but I assume it's a summer thing for most people.

Like most proper rain gear, it lasts well if you wash it in soap flakes, not the usual washing powder. I make my own with a bar of soap and a nutmeg grater, so I feel a bit like Mr. Bean.

Not sure how available it is these days, but I assume there are equivalents. It's pretty much this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sportful Fiandre Light NoRain is my go to one. Probably doesn't squeeze down as small. It gets wet, but you remain dry. It's some sort of wizardry (or the same stuff as the Gabba)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Can anyone suggest to me a light rain jacket that I can take with my on long cycles where the weather isn't guaranteed to hold up, but that I can fold up small enough to comfortably stow in a jersey pocket?

The Rapha Core Rain Jacket is my go to. Folds up small enough to fit in a jersey pocket, it's lightweight and properly waterproof with taped seams and all that. The cut is nice too so it's not super flappy like a lot of rain capes. It's a great man altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Seems about right on why cyclists enjoy their commutes:

https://twitter.com/RachelAldred/status/1140870143016390656

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Best Strava segment name. "To request maintenance of bridge & ramps, please email dbreen AT gsj dot ie & roads@fingalcoco.ie"

Miklos wrote: »
    The Rapha Core Rain Jacket is my go to. Folds up small enough to fit in a jersey pocket, it's lightweight and properly waterproof with taped seams and all that. The cut is nice too so it's not super flappy like a lot of rain capes. It's a great man altogether.

Oooh that one is a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Luxman wrote: »
    Best Strava segment name. "To request maintenance of bridge & ramps, please email dbreen AT gsj dot ie & roads@fingalcoco.ie"
    It works too. I emailed them about some horse manure and broken glass a few years ago and they cleaned the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oooh that one is a ride.

In my experience all lightweight rain jackets do much the same job, but the one feature I really miss from my old one is that it folded and zipped into its own pocket.

My current one "packs" (i.e. wraps/folds) up small-ish, but doesn't create that handy little self-contained cushion, so can't really be stored in the same jersey pocket as other stuff or else it pulls out a load of crap and throws it on the road when I retrieve it on the bike.

I ended up going for this one:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rr-900-ultralight-cycling-rain-jacket-black-id_8369629.html

A few of the others mentioned look the business but were a bit out of my price range. This one seems to get reasonable reviews, looks fairly fetching and most importantly folds in on itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    He's over half way through Ohio now while Balch is just part way into Indiana. His average speed seems to have increased to 28.8km/h (which includes any stopped time). Incredible stuff.

(Doesn't seem to be going well for Barr. Now about 1200kms behind Strasser.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Just read a report in the Guardian where a cyclist knocked a lady over who stepped into the road while looking at her phone. Cyclist was judged not to have acted in a competent manner as it was his duty to anticipate this. Seems crazy in a lot of ways that there isn't an onus on a pedestrian to take the care to look up before stepping into a road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There is an onus and that's why she was found 50 percent liable. However, just because someone isn't looking where they're going doesn't give you licence to cycle aggresively, which sounds like what happened here.
    Mr Hazeldean had come through a green traffic light, and had sounded a loud airhorn attached to his Specialized roadbike, as well as shouting, swerving and braking in a bid to avoid the pedestrian.

Ms Brushett's lawyers told the judge that she could not remember anything about the crash due to "post traumatic amnesia".

However she relied on the evidence of another cyclist who had witnessed the crash and confronted Mr Hazeldean immediately afterwards.

That witness had made a voice recording at the time, accusing Mr Hazeldean of "aggressive riding" and calling him "arrogant and reckless".

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

https://www.strava.com/segments/12134581
    https://www.strava.com/segments/12134499

Great idea that.

I went into work early today, left a bit late and picked up my kid from a friends house. He fell asleep on the way home. I don't know what to do, I have reports to write. a house to tidy, but they were not the plan for tonight. I might just go to bed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

There is an onus and that's why she was found 50 percent liable. However, just because someone isn't looking where they're going doesn't give you licence to cycle aggresively, which sounds like what happened here.

Ah, that makes more sense. The finer details on the cyclist weren't mentioned in the other report, just that he was travelling at 10-15 mph through a green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

Haha I created that segment! It used to be terrible for horse manure and the odd broken beer bottle but to be fair no issues in a good long while now!

• Advertisement

So... I think I'm going to be in trouble

Advertisement