Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

fitz1.jpg?strip=all&w=816

There's something about Davy.

descarga.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Just play the All-Ireland Final next week to hell and be done with it. Tipp v Limerick. It'll save the rest of us a lot of time and money.

Tommy Kelly
    Gort
    Co. Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Hard to see Clare getting anything in Limerick

Based on today yes. Tipp are the form team who can destroy any team on a given day with their forwards. Clare have a good record against limerick and i think it will be close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

According to the match tracker on rte.ie Tuohy got a yellow card for this. I think it should have been red

00122733-1280.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

According to the match tracker on rte.ie Tuohy got a yellow card for this. I think it should have been red

Yellow’s about right I’d say. God only knows what he thought he was at though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Based on today yes. Tipp are the form team who can destroy any team on a given day with their forwards. Clare have a good record against limerick and i think it will be close.

Limerick weren't great at home v Cork. Clare were awful at home v Tipp.

Limerick were dominant away to Waterford. Clare were ok against waterford but allowed them back into the game.

Clare have to improve massively to beat Limerick at home next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Akrasia wrote: »
    Limerick weren't great at home v Cork. Clare were awful at home v Tipp.

Limerick were dominant away to Waterford. Clare were ok against waterford but allowed them back into the game.

Clare have to improve massively to beat Limerick at home next week.

Wouldn't write it off either, its not always as simple as you describe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ompala wrote: »
    Wouldn't write it off either, its not always as simple as you describe

Yep Clare easily beat limerick last year. Very hard to produce good performances every time. Big match for Clare though as when they will be playing cork, it will be 3 weeks on the trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Yep Clare easily beat limerick last year. Very hard to produce good performances every time. Big match for Clare though as when they will be playing cork, it will be 3 weeks on the trot.

Even bigger game for Limerick , lose and they're out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Will be calls for tiers after those defeats for Waterford,Clare today, oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Clare can still afford to lose next week. They could beat Cork at home and go through on the head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Clare can still afford to lose next week. They could beat Cork at home and go through on the head to head.

They would need limk to beat Tipp for the hd to hd to come into play

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Difference in Munster excitement between this and last year....Waterford have further regressed and Tipp unfortunately are showing their true ability. Last year Waterford weren't as bad and Tipp were much worse. It made the 5 teams be in close competition.
    Waterford players are a disgrace. However bad a management team or game plan can be. 10 points over 70 minutes has to largely lay at the feet of the players. Win 10 50 50s over a game and you'd have 10 points. I think Waterfords panel thought they had a right to progress after reaching the final in 2017. Many of them appear to have a sense of entitlement, thinking they only have to show up to get a starting place and tog off to get a win. This is a hard lesson they're learning this year. How they approach next Saturday is anybodies guess.
    It's now 9 years since Waterford won a Munster. 21 since Clare have. Not gonna change this year by the looks of today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Will be calls for tiers after those defeats for Waterford,Clare today, oh wait...

on clares performance today i would nearly agree with you , but it better come into the football championship asap .....

tipperary were excellent today , clare went 15 v 15 and got trounced , we will have to go back to our running and short passing game against limerick to give us any chance next week

Difference in Munster excitement between this and last year....Waterford have further regressed and Tipp unfortunately are showing their true ability. Last year Waterford weren't as bad and Tipp were much worse. It made the 5 teams be in close competition.
    Waterford players are a disgrace. However bad a management team or game plan can be. 10 points over 70 minutes has to largely lay at the feet of the players. Win 10 50 50s over a game and you'd have 10 points. I think Waterfords panel thought they had a right to progress after reaching the final in 2017. Many of them appear to have a sense of entitlement, thinking they only have to show up to get a starting place and tog off to get a win. This is a hard lesson they're learning this year. How they approach next Saturday is anybodies guess.
    It's now 9 years since Waterford won a Munster. 21 since Clare have. Not gonna change this year by the looks of today.

i think if you talk to supporters of cork clare or limerick they would probably tell you that the importance of winning munster is not as important as just getting out of the group , i dont think anyone in clare would care if it was another 21 years before we win a munster as long as we are in the mix at the latter half of the season

i think if you talk to supporters of cork clare or limerick they would probably tell you that the importance of winning munster is not as important as just getting out of the group , i dont think anyone in clare would care if it was another 21 years before we win a munster as long as we are in the mix at the latter half of the season

Do you mean another 21 years without any silverware along as Clare reach semis and finals.. ? I'd take a Munster final win over a losing All Ireland final appearance thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

Do you mean another 21 years without any silverware along as Clare reach semis and finals.. ? I'd take a Munster final win over a losing All Ireland final appearance thank you very much.

Why? It's about as meaningful as winning the triple crown. A consolation prize for when you can't close the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

threeball wrote: »
    Why? It's about as meaningful as winning the triple crown. A consolation prize for when you can't close the deal.

I may be picking you up wrong on this but are you saying winning a Munster is not meaningful?

alta stare wrote: »
    I may be picking you up wrong on this but are you saying winning a Munster is not meaningful?

In the greater scheme of the year it means Damn all. You'll be remembered for all Irelands, not munsters. May as well throw in an aul Calcutta cup between tipp and cork while they're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

In the greater scheme of the year it means Damn all. You'll be remembered for all Irelands, not munsters. May as well throw in an aul Calcutta cup between tipp and cork while they're at it.

Well yeah winning an AI would be better but to say winning a provincial title is meaningless is a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Good bounce back for limerick but at this rate Waterford are a write off so it doesn't mean anything yet (bar giving them some momentum)

If you take out Waterford who will go 0/4, it's essentially a 4 team mini league now, with both Clare and limerick without a win

Their clash next week is the first game all summer to resemble a knockout game of sorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭cms88

When are pundets going to call out dirty play for what it is? And not this ''it's part of the game'' BS the likes of Jackie Tyrell go on with. Again today in the Waterdord game they could have had at least 2 read cards imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

cms88 wrote: »
    When are pundets going to call out dirty play for what it is? And not this ''it's part of the game'' BS the likes of Jackie Tyrell go on with. Again today in the Waterdord game they could have had at least 2 read cards imo

There were. Two of them, including Tuohy's Bruce Lee effort, were old fashioned taking out of the goal scorer or goal creator after the event. Deliberate attempts to injure out of badness.

The triple crown is still very valued in rugby. I take silverware over no silverware every day of the week. Your premise doesn't even make sense . You want to be in semis and finals at the later end of the year but your happy to have no silverware for the next 21 years....that would be not closing any 'deal '...not a Munster cup deal ,not an All Ireland deal...no deal.

It meant alot in 95. Clare didn't give a fiddlers about the All Ireland that year . Look Clare have a deplorable record in Munster but dont try to gloss over the fact it does matter. ....it matters to the fans and players who gave their lives to trying to win one. Very disrespectful to those who went before you. ...Were you in Limerick in 93 or Thurles in 94? Those finals mattered

• Advertisement

The triple crown is still very valued in rugby.

Valued in Ireland maybe where the team are "legends" for beating Canada in the autumn series

Don't think I've seen it barely mentioned in England and Wales when they do it, since it was a big deal in the amateur era

jr86 wrote: »
    Valued in Ireland maybe where the team are "legends" for beating Canada in the autumn series

Don't think I've seen it barely mentioned in England and Wales when they do it, since it was a big deal in the amateur era

But you and I are in Ireland. We are Irish where its valued. You've just stated that fact so you are confirming the point iv been making. You do understand that dont you.

But you and I are in Ireland. We are Irish where its valued. You've just stated that fact so you are confirming the point iv been making. You do understand that dont you.

I often suspect that the main reason the rugger chaps value the triple crown is that it reminds some of them when we were all part of the Union :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

cms88 wrote: »

Jackie Tyrell (sic) highlighted the Shanahan incident and stated that he was lucky to not be sent off since it was striking with intent.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I often suspect that the main reason the rugger chaps value the triple crown is that it reminds some of them when we were all part of the Union :)

And a fine Union it was.. (dont believe the propaganda in the Irish school books)

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone who takes themselves seriously in the game should give a fiddlers about a triple crown unless you win the bloody thing out. Celebrating one and then getting the championship taken off you by France or Italy should be for the times when you had little to no belief you could win it out.

95 mattered to Clare because they'd won nothing for decades. It was also the only route to the all Ireland and without one you were out so it was a right of passage. Ask them what they want this year, a munster or an all Ireland. Then ask limerick if they were sorry they won the all Ireland but not munster and see what they think. Maybe they'll be happy with a munster this year and no all Ireland... but I doubt it.

no what i meant is its more important to win an all ireland by any means necessary and put yourself in the mix as much as possible then a league or a munster , who do think had the better year last year limerick or cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Just play the All-Ireland Final next week to hell and be done with it. Tipp v Limerick. It'll save the rest of us a lot of time and money.

Tommy Kelly
    Gort
    Co. Galway

I think we learned from the example of Galway last year the foolishness of crowning teams before they have earned it. In the middle of last summer Galway were the next big thing but since that have been going backwards quickly. After next weekend it'll probably get worse. Anyway the actual All-Ireland final will be Kilkenny v Cork or maybe at a stretch Limerick.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I think we learned from the example of Galway last year the foolishness of crowning teams before they have earned it. In the middle of last summer Galway were the next big thing but since that have been going backwards quickly. After next weekend it'll probably get worse. Anyway the actual All-Ireland final will be Kilkenny v Cork or maybe at a stretch Limerick.

Yeah a long way to go

While tipp have started brilliantly, the system is more convoluted than ever before. They still have to play 2 matches to even get to the all Ireland series. Plenty of time to lose some form, pick up injuries etc

But the majority of online commentary is based on recency effect alone

Filthy stroke by O Mahoney in the limerick game. Only saw it one TSG now. No respect for opponents with a stroke like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Fanning just said Waterford doesn't have a disciplinary issue and that he thinks the red cards were unwarranted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Fanning just said Waterford doesn't have a disciplinary issue and that he thinks the red cards were unwarranted...

Just saw that as well. I can understand managers & coaches defending and standing by their players but saying that it was unwarranted is just embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Mahony0509 wrote: »

Yeah he didn't inspire any confidence. I know its straight after the game but if you are from Waterford you are looking for leadership and a path forward. He seemed a bit baffled all around saying wild pulls don't deserve reds

Yeah he didn't inspire any confidence. I know its straight after the game but if you are from Waterford you are looking for leadership and a path forward. He seemed a bit baffled all around saying wild pulls don't deserve reds

He wasn't even comfortable saying it. He was swaying and pulling at his pants. Like a lad telling a lie but not having any poker face.

Waterford have always had a wild enough streak but the stuff today was petty. Shanahan should have walked as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Donal Og Cusack and Henry Shefflin ruthlessly analysing how bad Waterford were.

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    As Jim Royal might say, Munster hurling my arse. Two home teams get their arses handed to them.

You obviously have quite an interest in arses. But I'm not sure why two home teams being beaten is supposed to reflect badly in Munster hurling assuming that's what the cryptic "Munster hurling my arse" is about.

There's been six games in Leinster and only two have been home team wins. Not exactly a huge contrast.

Leinster set up nicely for a close finish. Will come down to the final day with Dublin v Galway and Kilkenny v Wexford, with probably only the Cats having secured a play off or final place before that.

Going to be optimistic for a change and predict a Kilkenny/Dublin final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Leinster set up nicely for a close finish. Will come down to the final day with Dublin v Galway and Kilkenny v Wexford, with probably only the Cats having secured a play off or final place before that.

Going to be optimistic for a change and predict a Kilkenny/Dublin final.

There's surely no way Dublin could beat Galway is there?

Dublin are capable of beating anyone in Parnell Park.

Galway most likely still be without Canning and haven't looked great in their two home games so certainly possible.

Hard to know with Dublin. Dominated the game yesterday with 14 for most of it, but still showed occasional lapses that would be ruthlessly exploited by a better team. Unlikely to go any further than a quarter final against one of the top Munster teams, but hopefully some sort of shape being put on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah, Clare won the all ireland in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Yes, there is a fair chance it could happen. Galway haven't been playing well for a while (even when they had canning - felt he was papering over some cracks tbh) and rarely perform well in Parnell park.

Also Kenny will know some of the Galway players well from his time as a selector there. On paper, Galway should win it, but I wouldn't be putting my money on them atm. Their match against Kilkenny will tell us what galway will be up to this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

To be fair Galway were blitzing teams in the first half of games last year but then taking the foot off the gas. I'm fairly convinced had they not had all the replays they'd have won against Limerick. They'd just nothing left in the tank that day (and still only lost by a point!).
    RMAOK wrote: »
    Also Kenny will know some of the Galway players well from his time as a selector there. On paper, Galway should win it, but I wouldn't be putting my money on them atm. Their match against Kilkenny will tell us what galway will be up to this year.

Dublin is the game I'd be most worried about as a Galway supporter. Mattie knows every one of those players because he'd have coached most of them to underage success at minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

So who's going to k/o Tipp'? If KK make the final with a very average side, Eamon Sweeney will have a meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

cson wrote: »
    To be fair Galway were blitzing teams in the first half of games last year but then taking the foot off the gas. I'm fairly convinced had they not had all the replays they'd have won against Limerick. They'd just nothing left in the tank that day (and still only lost by a point!).

Dublin is the game I'd be most worried about as a Galway supporter. Mattie knows every one of those players because he'd have coached most of them to underage success at minor.

Does it make much odds in the modern game with all the video analysis that is done on opposition and how visible they are. I doubt Mattie will have any more insight into Galway than any of the other managers.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    So who's going to k/o Tipp'? If KK make the final with a very average side, Eamon Sweeney will have a meltdown.

The losers of the Leinster Final in the quarter final or the winners in the semi-final I assume. Kilkenny are average but the regression of Galway is setting it up for them to have a long run. It's a generally average championship it has to be said.

Advertisement