Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm in a BMW 118i for a few days. 1.5 3cyl turbo thing. A very pleasant drive to be fair. You've got to love how there's similarities to the e30 inside 3 decades + later. Splendid brand identify IMO.

It's a competent hatch, I think it's returning close to mid 40s mpg.

It's not much heavier on juice then the CLA220d I had a month or so ago.

Iirc the next gen 1 series will be front wheel drive. The transmission tunnel etc is a tad intrusive in a car this size alright.

We have a 151 116d , for sale incidentally, with a 2.0d auto. Fantastic little cars, my mother has one too and is awaiting delivery of another 116d auto only with the 1.5 diesel engine. She looked at the A3 and A class but couldn't be convinced to leave the 1 series which is odd as she rarely stays with the same marque twice, nevermind the same model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We have a 151 116d , for sale incidentally, with a 2.0d auto. Fantastic little cars, my mother has one too and is awaiting delivery of another 116d auto only with the 1.5 diesel engine. She looked at the A3 and A class but couldn't be convinced to leave the 1 series which is odd as she rarely stays with the same marque twice, nevermind the same model.

Please say the colour is different :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Please say the colour is different :-)

Arctic silver to mineral grey. Haven't seen it yet but it looks well in pictures. It has landed just hasn't been registered yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

1998 Toyota Levin BZ-R 20 Valve.
    That's bloody lovely. Fantastic to see one still on the roads too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's bloody lovely. Fantastic to see one still on the roads too.

Thanks. Wait to you see how good the emissions were considering it is 21 years old. lambda was a bit high should be 1.00.

474419.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mine would be similar W. The Japanese really knew how to bolt engines together back then. Mad how you would see Levins all over the place at one time, now I can't remember the last time I saw one. Lovely yoke to drive too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mine would be similar W. The Japanese really knew how to bolt engines together back then. Mad how you would see Levins all over the place at one time, now I can't remember the last time I saw one. Lovely yoke to drive too.

All I seen driving them were blonds

I wouldn't mind a DC2. I seen a Levin in Cork about 3 or 4 weeks ago and another 2 on travels in different places. But it is true they were really common one time.

I don't know about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ay usually young bucks with cheetah style blonde highlights ;) as was the style during those great times.

Most levins are tucked away in sheds now and come out once in a while during the summer months.

• Advertisement

as was the style during those great times.
    Speaking of those times.... My own rear view mirror is delaminating along the inside edges so... This came on Friday.

474435.jpg

It's 2004 all over again, when every ricer worth his or her salt had a Broadway mirror. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Back when Toyota made reliable fun cars.
    I'll have the DC2 back this summer all going well, it's only been 5 years since it was running.
    Kinda gotten used to not getting hassled by the cops though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Noticed a light scratch on the passenger side front door of my car annoying as it’s about 25cm long wasn’t there last year looks like a mark off a bush or branch etc although I can’t remember brushing of anything. It’s so light I would be confident it will polish out at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

CIP4 wrote: »
    Noticed a light scratch on the passenger side front door of my car annoying as it’s about 25cm long wasn’t there last year looks like a mark off a bush or branch etc although I can’t remember brushing of anything. It’s so light I would be confident it will polish out at least.

Do you only look at your bodywork once a year?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Truckermal wrote: »
    Do you only look at your bodywork once a year?:p

Damn I meant week :pac: Washed it last week and it wasn’t there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was on the M6 travelling west around half 6 this evening. There was some still a small bit of brightness but effectively it was dark. A Transit up ahead of me had no lights on... But then as I got closer I realised the dipped beams were on! So it had no working rear lights! :eek:

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'll have the DC2 back this summer all going well, it's only been 5 years since it was running.
    Kinda gotten used to not getting hassled by the cops though.
    Handy things about being an old fart, I don't get hassled by the Guards. :D
    I was on the M6 travelling west around half 6 this evening. There was some still a small bit of brightness but effectively it was dark. A Transit up ahead of me had no lights on... But then as I got closer I realised the dipped beams were on! So it had no working rear lights! :eek:
    I gather that's an issue with the rear light wiring loom with some Transits? A mate of mine has one and his rear lights went mad a while back, flashing like Christmas tree lights and then went off. He spotted and sorted it mind you.

Handy things about being an old fart, I don't get hassled by the Guards. :D

I'm mid thirties now so hoping I'm in the same boat.
    The J's Racing exhaust may have other ideas though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

To be fair, my car is louder than anything on the road and I never get hassle. Last time I was pulled it was for doing 140 in an 80 zone and I was told to take it handy and head home.
    I’m not even 30 yet! Huzzah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

tCsTGfe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Hal1 wrote: »
    tCsTGfe.jpg

They're always ***** with tall vehicles that either crawl up too close behind you at the traffic lights, or have everything so badly adjusted that you need sunglasses at night to drive....

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    To be fair, my car is louder than anything on the road and I never get hassle. Last time I was pulled it was for doing 140 in an 80 zone and I was told to take it handy and head home.
    I’m not even 30 yet! Huzzah!!

Ah but do you drive an obnoxiously loud Honda.
    Maybe it's different now, I used to get constant hassle when it was on the road.

I am looking forward to having a fun car again though, diesels have their uses but fun is generally not a word you'd associate with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm in a BMW 118i for a few days. 1.5 3cyl turbo thing. A very pleasant drive to be fair. You've got to love how there's similarities to the e30 inside 3 decades + later. Splendid brand identify IMO.

It's a competent hatch, I think it's returning close to mid 40s mpg.

It's not much heavier on juice then the CLA220d I had a month or so ago.

Iirc the next gen 1 series will be front wheel drive. The transmission tunnel etc is a tad intrusive in a car this size alright.

Manual? If so, have you noticed the rev matching thing that makes it very difficult to drive smoothly at low speed?

I had a 118i for a week or two and while it's a better use of that engine than the 318i I had before that, it's not a patch on the X1 18i I went in to after the 1 Series, but a large part of that is that the X1 doesn't have the rev matching stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Ah but do you drive an obnoxiously loud Honda.
    Maybe it's different now, I used to get constant hassle when it was on the road.

I am looking forward to having a fun car again though, diesels have their uses but fun is generally not a word you'd associate with them.

It’s an RX8 with straight pipes, you wouldn’t hear a Honda pass by at full pelt if I was at idle. :pac:

R.O.R wrote: »
    Manual? If so, have you noticed the rev matching thing that makes it very difficult to drive smoothly at low speed?

There was something weird about it alright. It's a manual.
    I thought 1st was really tall.. I didn't need to do much if any low speed stuff in it but on changing down the rev matching was magic....considering I thought it was my driving :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well didn't expect to see this outside my door just now:

20190303-152755.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ugh. A van.

The snow here went as quickly as it came.

No snow in Mayo or Galway. Just back from Galway city now. Which was handy as there was a knocking coming from the front right hand wheel so jacked it up and had a look.

Well further diagnosis of problem seems to be driveshaft. Typical pass the NCT then this happens. I'm hoping one of you more knowledgeable guys can help me. See the pic below and the green CV joint is that suppose to slide in and out of the gear box. I mean not in and out fully but it moves about a inch at least well maybe between 1/2 and 3/4.

474557.jpg

Well further diagnosis of problem seems to be driveshaft. Typical pass the NCT then this happens. I'm hoping one of you more knowledgeable guys can help me. See the pic below and the green CV joint is that suppose to slide in and out of the gear box. I mean not in and out fully but it moves about a inch at least well maybe between 1/2 and 3/4.
    Now knowledgeable for me is a stretch Wotz, but as far as I know there will be some back and forth play, like a couple of millimetres, but not half an inch or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Now knowledgeable for me is a stretch Wotz, but as far as I know there will be some back and forth play, like a couple of millimetres, but not half an inch or more.

Half an inch is fine, it has to move more than that to allow for suspension travel, maybe 1-2 inches depending on design

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I plan on picking up a cheap 4x4 for some moderate offroad stuff and muck laden lanes up the Wicklow mountains. The suzuki jimny seems to be the one that keeps coming back to me, cheap to run, easily modified and very good in the rough stuff. Im looking at one during the week and if all checks out, will be bringing it home.

So I plan on giving it a 2" lift, bigger A/T tyres and maybe a snorkel but that's not really necessary. Is it easy to change shocks and springs? Not completely inept mechanically wise but not something I've ever done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Wailin wrote: »
    I plan on picking up a cheap 4x4 for some moderate offroad stuff and muck laden lanes up the Wicklow mountains. The suzuki jimny seems to be the one that keeps coming back to me, cheap to run, easily modified and very good in the rough stuff. Im looking at one during the week and if all checks out, will be bringing it home.

So I plan on giving it a 2" lift, bigger A/T tyres and maybe a snorkel but that's not really necessary. Is it easy to change shocks and springs? Not completely inept mechanically wise but not something I've ever done before.

I would love a old Pajero or Shogun for something like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Only for the tax and terrible economy that's what Id be looking at too. A jimny with a 2" lift and good A/T tyres will be as capable as any of the big boys in the mud!

Like this :D
    46558602104_dba4f40760_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Here's a curious one, if anyone has an answer,

When it was snowing on Sunday the TPMS in the car went off, I got out and checked tyres, all good, so reset it, later on when driving, it went off again, got the pressure gauge out this time, all good, all same pressure, reset it.
    Monday morning 5am in the frost, it pinged again, had a look, nothing flat, reset and drove off, hasn't happened since,

Was it driving in the snow, and the cold, (it's never gone off before in 3years i've had the car)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I've had it happen before when temp changes suddenly or in heavy rain. I guess changes in baromic pressure could be contributory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

selous wrote: »

When it was snowing on Sunday the TPMS in the car went off, I got out and checked tyres, all good, so reset it, later on when driving, it went off again, got the pressure gauge out this time, all good, all same pressure, reset it.
    Monday morning 5am in the frost, it pinged again, had a look, nothing flat, reset and drove off, hasn't happened since,

Was it driving in the snow, and the cold, (it's never gone off before in 3years i've had the car)

This is quite a common thing to happen.

selous wrote: »

Happened to me on Sunday afternoon too. It's something to do with the sudden drop in temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Is it an actual TPMS, as in does it give you a reading for pressures or is it the flat tyre detection system? Few cars have a proper TPMS and instead use the abs sensors to detect difference in rotational speed to detect a potential flat. It's possible the slippy conditions caused one wheel to slip a little more than the other making the system suspect a flat.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is it an actual TPMS, as in does it give you a reading for pressures or is it the flat tyre detection system? Few cars have a proper TPMS and instead use the abs sensors to detect difference in rotational speed to detect a potential flat. It's possible the slippy conditions caused one wheel to slip a little more than the other making the system suspect a flat.

My F10 displays the tyre pressure in bars. The TPMS system warning came up when I started the car after being parked up over night so before I even set off in the snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Ah well for legit sensors like that, which are rare I would think the cooler temps must drop pressure enough for them to trigger the warning. Nice feature to have though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Tyre pressure varies depending on ambient temperature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Gents, any of you bought tyres online recently? Where is cheapest out of openeo, tyre leader etc lately?

It really depends on the brand your looking at. They seem to watch each other's prices but sometimes one can be slightly cheaper than the other.

TPMS in the sorento alarmed a few weeks ago in a small cold spell, pumped all tyres up to 33psi following day when they were cold.

Previously they'd been set in the summer I think.

30psi at 20degC will be 26.9psi at 0degC :) (cold tyres)

So if you have TPMS and it's hunly dorey in the summer at the recommended pressure the likelhood is you'll need to pump them up when it gets cold :)

OSI wrote: »
    20k on the Tiguan and the front tyres are down below 3mm already. Feck sake.

Wow ............. that's 20k miles presumably?

I've 32k kms on the Sorento now and the fronts are a tad lower than the rears but I think there's still 4mm + on the centre 75% anyway. The AWD definitely helps to share the wear I think. I do lots of motorway runs though, maybe 50 to 75% of my driving is at just shy of 120kph on the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Nah. KM. Nearly as bad as the GTI, and that had softer tyres and rarely saw the lower half of the rev counter.

One of the hidden costs of a big diesel lump. There is nearly the weight of a gti over the front axle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Presume it's a diesel?
    Probably the added weight over the front increases tire wear.

I've got 80k+ km out of a set of fronts on a Nissan Leaf (as I'm a cheapskate) but 20k is very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Nah. KM. Nearly as bad as the GTI, and that had softer tyres and rarely saw the lower half of the rev counter.

Heavy! Got 36k kms from a front set on the Avensis. They were Landfill tyres that actually performed very well throughout their lifespan with me (compared to the rubbish I had in a past life) Goodness knows what I'll get from the Michelins on the front of the 607, time will tell. They've covered 4k miles so far

Oh how times have changed. The irony as this started to happen towards the end of life of the tyres...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

2fwRUynl.jpg

Past 170 mile mark on the focus today. Not a bother on it touch wood. Had it since 130 miles as a tmeporary thing... The most mileage i've put up on any car :).

Interslice wrote: »
    One of the hidden costs of a big diesel lump. There is nearly the weight of a gti over the front axle
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Presume it's a diesel?
    Probably the added weight over the front increases tire wear.

I've got 80k+ km out of a set of fronts on a Nissan Leaf (as I'm a cheapskate) but 20k is very low.

Most of the cars on the road are diesel still I reckon, 12k miles and down to 3mm thread is a rarity on a car I would have thought.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement