Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

I still support the nurses!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

hawkelady wrote: »
    where’s all you do is scratch yourself and stroll to the shops in your pjs for your family’s spaghetti and toast dinner !

Put down the shovel and stop digging - you're only making a show of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    So we cant compare any job to nurse pay unless its public sector? Your just suiting your argument, my point was and is still valid that many jobs are tougher than nursing and dont get paid as much.

I fully support the nurses.

If the government aren't willing to increase pay and improve conditions in order to recruit more nurses, then I'd highly recommend that existing nurses look abroad to countries with safe patient to nurse ratios and better conditions.

You have an internationally recognized skill, don't be afraid to market yourself to other countries where you'll be appreciated far more than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So we cant compare any job to nurse pay unless its public sector? Your just suiting your argument, my point was and is still valid that many jobs are tougher than nursing and dont get paid as much.

how can you make a comparison to private sectors workers when private sector wages vary wildly?

So what are these jobs that require a degree and are tougher with lower wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

trellheim wrote: »
    you think Phil Sheedys driving this ? With a 95% mandate for action shes only carrying out members wishes.

Government can end this immediately they see fit. Get away with your guff about causing patient suffering. Every nurse I've talked to wants to get back to work with their pay properly equalized.

Phil Sheedy ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

road_high wrote: »
    If only they could magic up the billions this will cost in itself and knock on pay claims!
    Of course patients will and are suffering. It might be just be “guff” to you but it’s real patients life and health they’re weaponising now.

There will always be casualties of war.

How many lives are lost each year to government incompetence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

how can you make a comparison to private sectors workers when private sector wages vary wildly?

So what are these jobs that require a degree and are tougher with lower wages?

Who said anything about having a degree? Anybody that has a degree knows they are easy to come by, i studied science btw so i know what i am talking about.

Who said anything about having a degree?

Well if you are comparing nurses to other workers surely you should be comparing them to others with the same level of qualifications?

Anybody that has a degree knows they are easy to come by,
    i studied science btw so i know what i am talking about.

UCD presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Nurses have bitten off more than they expected.
    Public support is waning.
    Leo is holding strong.
    Vive la resistancé!!

Horse****, strikes will increase, 4 in a row, 5 in a row until the system is on its knees

Well if you are comparing nurses to other workers surely you should be comparing them to others with the same level of qualifications?

UCD presumably?

No you presume wrong. Are you honestly saying that degrees are hard to come by? I have seen some of the least intelligent people get a degree and that includes nurses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Nearly 4000 posts later and 6 things haven't changed:

1. Irish nurses are still paid significantly more than their UK (& other EU) equivalents
    2. We have a higher number of nurses per patient (by ~30%) in Ireland versus the OECD average
    3. Irish nurses are currently enjoying significant pay rises, on already inflated salaries under the current public sector pay deal, with further increases due, far exceeding levels of inflation & CPI
    4. A further increase in nurses pay rises will lead to the other public sector unions demanding more too, this with the economy maxed out, yet we are borrowing (without technical tax bonuses) to fund current expenditures
    5. The Irish healthcare system is the worst value in the world (source OECD)
    6. The aggressive strike actions from the nursing unions are impacting on sick people's healthcare when they are at their most vulnerable.
    (This is particularly cruel & cynical by the nursing unions, as most of these sick patients will have worked in the private sector, having already paid overly high levels of tax throughout their working lives to fund already excessive public sector pay & pensions. Yet, when they are old and most feeble the nurses are opting to explicitly neglect their healthcare for the nurses's own agenda. This is simply mean, patently unfair and needs to be highlighted far clearer imho)

As far as I am concerned, if the nurses keep acting like this, the best solution might be to lay off the whole lot of them and privatise nursing in the Irish health system and see how the unions and their members like working in the private sector.
    That should now be put as a clear option to them IMHO.

No you presume wrong. Are you honestly saying that degrees are hard to come by? I have seen some of the least intelligent people get a degree and that includes nurses.

UCC or UCG??

whether degrees are hard to come by or not if you are comparing salaries then you have to compare to people on the same educational level. You mentioned bin men as one example. do you honestly think bin men should get paid as much as nurses? It is not like collecting refuse is a hard physical job anymore. they wheel the bins to the lorry and the lorry does the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

The more of anything there is -the less valuable it is . Basic logic and common sense .
    Same applies to Degrees - Bachelor degrees mean little -Masters degrees going the same way -the dogs of the road have them. More and more people of only average intelligence and ability getting Doctorates. I spent many decades lecturing in Universities so I have some insight into this dilution process.

daithi7 wrote: »

1. Irish nurses are still paid significantly more than their UK (& other EU) equivalents
    2. We have a higher number (~30%) of nurses per patient in Ireland versus the OECD average
    3. Irish nurses are already enjoying significant pay rises, on already inflated salaries under the current public sector pay deal, with further increases due ahead of inflation & cpi
    4. A further increase is nurses pay rises due will lead to all public sector unions demanding more too, this with the economy maxed out yet we are already borrowing (without technical tax bonuses) to fund current expenditures
    6. The aggressive strike actions from the nursing unions are impacting on sick people's healthcare when they are at their most vulnerable.
    (This is particularly cruel & cynical by the nursing unions, as most of these sick patients will have worked in the private sector, having already paid overly high levels of tax throughout their working lives to fund already excessive public sector pay & pensions. Yet, when they are old and most feeble the nurses neglect their healthcare for the nurses own ends. This is lousy, patently unfair and needs to be highlighted far clearer imho)

As far as I am concerned, if they keep acting like this, the best solution might be to lay off the whole lot of them and privatise nursing in the Irish health system and see how the unions and their members like working in the private sector. It should be put as a clear option to them IMHO,

Nearly 4000 posts later and 1 thing hasn't changed:

People are STILL quoting the OECD study that is inaccurate.
    it is important to point out that the OECD data on nurses’ remuneration, which is frequently used as an indication of where Irish nurses fall on the scale, is not (by the OECD’s own admission) a reliable source.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-nurses-pay-4463814-Jan2019/
    Phil Ní Sheaghdha, general secretary of the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation, described the report as “wildly inaccurate to the point of being grossly misleading”.

She said it exaggerated pay for nurses and midwives in Ireland by including allowances which did not universally apply and treating shift pay in respect of night and weekend working as if it were basic pay.

“This report represents a department in denial. If any of it were true why did the HSE’s ‘ Bring them Home’ campaign fail so miserably. Why are our wards and services continually working understaffed? Why are Irish nurses and midwives leaving our shores for better conditions elsewhere and why is our health service so dependent on foreign recruitment,” she said.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/review-states-no-exodus-of-nurses-while-pay-competitive-1.3570521

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

2. We have a higher number of nurses per patient (by ~30%) in Ireland versus the OECD average
    3. Irish nurses are currently enjoying significant pay rises, on already inflated salaries under the current public sector pay deal, with further increases due, far exceeding levels of inflation & CPI
    4. A further increase in nurses pay rises will lead to the other public sector unions demanding more too, this with the economy maxed out, yet we are borrowing (without technical tax bonuses) to fund current expenditures
    (This is particularly cruel & cynical by the nursing unions, as most of these sick patients will have worked in the private sector, having already paid overly high levels of tax throughout their working lives to fund already excessive public sector pay & pensions. Yet, when they are old and most feeble the nurses are opting to explicitly neglect their healthcare for the nurses's own agenda. This is simply mean, patently unfair and needs to be highlighted far clearer imho)

As far as I am concerned, if the nurses keep acting like this, the best solution might be to lay off the whole lot of them and privatise nursing in the Irish health system and see how the unions and their members like working in the private sector.

Well said Sir.
    Burn their feet in the fire, their tired little legs are wearing and ten thousand steps per day is no longer fun.
    The night of the long knives is upon us, the handmaids will suffer.

UCC or UCG??

whether degrees are hard to come by or not if you are comparing salaries then you have to compare to people on the same educational level. You mentioned bin men as one example. do you honestly think bin men should get paid as much as nurses? It is not like collecting refuse is a hard physical job anymore. they wheel the bins to the lorry and the lorry does the rest.

Look im just saying that having a degree doesn't mean much theses days so cant be used as a bargaining chip, yes i would agree that binmen done deserve the same pay, we can agree on that ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You must have a fine collection yourself then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Not sure about this, then why is there such poor supply of Irish nurses?

You must have a fine collection yourself then.

Why would somebody want a collection of degrees? I got my one, got employed immediately after college and now work in a lab on a very good salary that i am appreciative of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Why would somebody want a collection of degrees? I got my one, got employed immediately after college and now work in a lab on a very good salary that i am appreciative of.

More like you are being worked on in a lab.

• Advertisement

Varta wrote: »
    More like you are being worked on in a lab.

oh the humor, are you actually an adult, you post like a 10 year old child.

A rat?

Phil Sheedy ?.
    I presume that poster is referring to Phil Ní Sheaghdha

A rat?

yes we are called lab rats which i am not offended by in the least unlike some of this snowflake generation who take everything as an insult.

It doesn't suit any of the anti-nurse agenda to answer this question.
    They'll mention stuff about young nurses just wanting to travel, but ignore that understaffing has been an issue in Irish hospitals for the last decade at least.

No other industry has such chronic understaffing due to people simply not wanting to do the job, or not wanting to do the job in Ireland.

Why would you work in Irish conditions for Irish pay when you can go abroad and be appreciated?
    INMO general secretary, Liam Doran said the figures reinforce the need to improve the pay and conditions offered to nurses.

"A total of 7,500 Irish-trained nurses went to Britain in the last six years - and we've only brought 91 home," he said.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hse-campaign-to-bring-nurses-home-attracts-few-takers-35737729.html

People here are more worried about the pennies in their pocket now that the health of themselves and their families

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The Telecom Eirean debacle in 1999 means that trying to privatise either fully or partly any Public Service company/service would be very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I think the government know that if there is no agreement this evening , then the inmo will just keep going with the strike action , I hear they have dates agreed upon for the following three weeks !!! I can’t see the inmo backing down at all now , if they do , it’ll be seen as a huge climb down which will be seen for decades to come and they will never be taken seriously again !!! I’d put money on there will be an agreement tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why would you work in Irish conditions for Irish pay when you can go abroad and be appreciated?

Well why don't they just fcuk off then?

Find a country that's not 200 billion in debt that can afford to pay them what they feel entitled to - I hear the Middle East is lovely this time of year.

If they want to stay in Ireland they need to accept they're working in a Country that has been bankrupted by Public Sector greed over the decades - there' no more money left - Boo Hoo, it's very sad

yes we are called lab rats which i am not offended by in the least unlike some of this snowflake generation who take everything as an insult.

Good man. I hope you have the guts to tell the nurses what you think the next time you are lying on a hospital bed. I seriously doubt you would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

There isn't. This claim is completely bogus.

Most Irish nursing vacancies are filled easily with many applications per post. This is in an expanding health service that we are all paying for btw, where you might expect more shortages than in usual times. Also, the churn rates in Irish nursing staffing are low.

These findings were published and publicized through a specific study on the sector (by the government iirc). Yet eejits in the media still get this repeatedly assways on a daily basis e.g. Ciara Kelly on Newstalk.

Some nurses also actively contribute to this 'fake news' through inaccurate soundbytes, etc and through their union representatives who are very economical with the truth i.e. they lie their t**s off!!

Advertisement