Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

Labour court's midmorning announcement didn't happen or hasn't been released to the media yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If the Government stand firm until the end of the month, Nurses will see a much reduced pay packet in February,

It might soften their coughs a bit.

The longer the strike goes on the more information is getting out there regarding the already generous pay and allowances that nurses get.

The nurses union has overplayed it's hand. I think they expected a public clamor to put the pressure on the Government - hasn't happened so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Labour Court Meeting 15:30 today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

you clearly haven't a notion what the benefits and pay of firefighters are. I'd love a month off in the summer and six weeks off in the winter. the salary is pretty decent as well.

So just ignore the private sector jobs i mentioned. Good way to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    I see you came to your senses and deleted your message about examples of tougher jobs than nurses feckthisgenie.

Go on name them and give examples of what makes them tough.
    You will probably say it's tough sitting on your fat hole all day at a computer

• Advertisement

Go on name them and give examples of what makes them tough.
    You will probably say it's tough sitting on your fat hole all day at a computer

ah yes back to the insults when you dont have an argument. Explain to me how a mechanic or fisherman or a painter for instance sits on there fat hole all day. Not the most intelligent nurse you i suspect.

Many private sector jobs that dont have near the benefits and pay that nurses have, fishermen, refuse collectors, mechanics, firefighter(not private sector i know) etc. Do you want me to go on. Dont try make out that nursing is the toughest job in the world.

Great accountability in those jobs fishermen, bin men haha crazy person

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Journal.ie reporting that the labour court is to intervene in the dispute

Its always the docs that take the blame if anything goes wrong, why would a nurse take the blame when they dont do anything to treat a patient anyway, oh sorry they remove the bed pans every now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Is it just a coincidence that any nurse that posts on this thread comes across as incredibly rude and entitled?

Is it just a coincidence that any nurse that posts on this thread comes across as incredibly rude and entitled?

Quite dim too.

Its always the docs that take the blame if anything goes wrong, why would a nurse take the blame when they dont do anything to treat a patient anyway, oh sorry they remove the bed pans every now and then.

I think they have HCA for that job. Ps I'm not a nurse but I know someone very close to me who is.
    I would say you know sweet fa about what happens in the health service but thinks they're an expert

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think poor Brendan is in his wee bubble if he thinks this. Support is most definitely there and him along with his blinkered friends david37, alloywheel and road_high are in the minority.

You’re pretty typical of the union mad mindset. Attack anyone that disagrees or has a different POV rather than rationally thinking things through. This strike is after falling on its arse big time- patients are starting to suffer and thus the “caring” image of nurses is starting to wane. Which was their trump card. The state is holding firm and there’s no giving into these unwarranted demands. This week will see the nurses inflict more damage on themselves, that idiot they have as union head is a real loose cannon at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

That website is not reliable, go straight to actual published figures by the unions or employing organisations for public sector salaries:

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-11-15a.477

Fairly typical of how they behave in the media too. Totally uncompromising and deluded

I also know many nurses that are lovely people, it doesn't mean they deserve a payrise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Lovely stuff.
    Labour court will undoubtedly side with the government and this is Phil's escape now from the pressure of the strike. Honestly she is in way over her head.

Telling no other nursing TU went on strike as they knew it would be breaking the agreement they had already signed up to.

If the Government stand firm until the end of the month, Nurses will see a much reduced pay packet in February,

It might soften their coughs a bit.
    Apparently in some hospitals, nurses are only striking on days for which they haven't been rostered to provide basic cover.

Even if a nurse was on strike for each of the 6 days, according to my back of the envelope calculations, the average nurse would be down about 850 euro in total. But if they're on the higher rate of tax anyway, that's effectively 425-odd euro.

In the long term, that's a small sacrifice, even if they get only a fraction of their demands.

road_high wrote: »
    You’re pretty typical of the union mad mindset. Attack anyone that disagrees or has a different POV rather than rationally thinking things through. This strike is after falling on its arse big time- patients are starting to suffer and thus the “caring” image of nurses is starting to wane. Which was their trump card. The state is holding firm and there’s no giving into these unwarranted demands. This week will see the nurses inflict more damage on themselves, that idiot they have as union head is a real loose cannon at this stage.

You have done plenty of attacking with plenty of snide remarks so done come all high and mighty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Quite dim too.

Would you call the nurses you know that they are “dim” ? I doubt you even have any friends , let alone ones that are nurses .. you come across very bitter tbh .. the type of dimwit that shakes his fist at the sky ..
    anyway , we will know later on if the Labour court will achieve something to have the strikes that begin at 8am in the morning to be called off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

you think Phil Sheedys driving this ? With a 95% mandate for action shes only carrying out members wishes.

Government can end this immediately they see fit. Get away with your guff about causing patient suffering. Every nurse I've talked to wants to get back to work with their pay properly equalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I think they are entitled to be “rude” to the likes of you , after working a 13 hour day and reading the stuff you put up here .. I’d call them quite civilized !
    where’s all you do is scratch yourself and stroll to the shops in your pjs for your family’s spaghetti and toast dinner !

hawkelady wrote: »
    Would you call the nurses you know that they are “dim” ? I doubt you even have any friends , let alone ones that are nurses .. you come across very bitter tbh .. the type of dimwit that shakes his fist at the sky ..
    anyway , we will know later on if the Labour court will achieve something to have the strikes that begin at 8am in the morning to be called off

Why would i call them dim when there not, i said the posters on here are quite dim, read full posts before replying in future. You are a prime example btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Apparently they have a skeleton staff in place ! Make no bones about it -that's a good move

• Registered Users Posts: 40,177 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So just ignore the private sector jobs i mentioned. Good way to make a point.

because is impossible to make a direct comparison as salaries vary. It is possible to make a comparison between firefighters and nurses and firefighters are much better paid with better benefits. You tried to make a comparison based entirely on your own ignorance.

because is impossible to make a direct comparison as salaries vary. It is possible to make a comparison between firefighters and nurses and firefighters are much better paid with better benefits. You tried to make a comparison based entirely on your own ignorance.

Your making comparisons to suit your point. Please put up a link of firefighters salaries in 2018? Prove what you are saying, im not saying you are wrong but you have proved nothing. Your also essentially saying public sector are better paid than private so we cant compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,177 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Your making comparisons to suit your point. Please put up a link of firefighters salaries in 2018? Prove what you are saying, im not saying you are wrong but you have proved nothing. Your also essentially saying public sector are better paid than private so we cant compare.

I am comparing nurses to firefighters. Both are public sector. so i am essentially not saying what you think i am saying and you are basically making up nonsense as you go along.

trellheim wrote: »
    you think Phil Sheedys driving this ? With a 95% mandate for action shes only carrying out members wishes.

Government can end this immediately they see fit. Get away with your guff about causing patient suffering. Every nurse I've talked to wants to get back to work with their pay properly equalized.

If only they could magic up the billions this will cost in itself and knock on pay claims!
    Of course patients will and are suffering. It might be just be “guff” to you but it’s real patients life and health they’re weaponising now.

• Advertisement

I am comparing nurses to firefighters. Both are public sector. so i am essentially not saying what you think i am saying and you are basically making up nonsense as you go along.

So we cant compare any job to nurse pay unless its public sector? Your just suiting your argument, my point was and is still valid that many jobs are tougher than nursing and dont get paid as much.

Advertisement