Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-09-2018, 10:07   #1471
banie01
Registered User
 
banie01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post


The old " if correctly challenged, accuse of ignorance" tactic! Screening then a useless and costly exercise is what you are saying.. which we already knew .... as I said.
I have never in all my time on Boards wanted to attack a poster more!
Your intransigence and myopic understanding of what screening is intended to be, could quite easily earn me my 1st ban.

I would respectfully suggest that you research and then try and actually understand what the goals and limitations of any medical screening program are. There is a reason screening programs are continuous and it is to ensure that where possible a false positve/negative on screen is picked up on the following screen.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK230552/

Start there, even a limited screening program saves a health service an order of magnitude more in costs than it would spend in treating late stage diagnosis.
Let alone the lives saved by the early identification and ablation of cancerous or pre-cancerous cells in just cervical cancer cases.
banie01 is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 10:11   #1472
ProfessorPlum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post


The old " if correctly challenged, accuse of ignorance" tactic! Screening then a useless and costly exercise is what you are saying.. which we already knew .... as I said.
Really?? Is that what you think I’m saying?

Jesus wept.
ProfessorPlum is offline  
(4) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 10:12   #1473
kunst nugget
Registered User
 
kunst nugget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post


The old " if correctly challenged, accuse of ignorance" tactic! Screening then a useless and costly exercise is what you are saying.. which we already knew .... as I said.
After all the press coverage that has been about the Cervical Check and all the information that has been put out there in relation to screening, how can you be this clueless?
kunst nugget is offline  
(3) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 10:15   #1474
Call me Al
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post


The old " if correctly challenged, accuse of ignorance" tactic! Screening then a useless and costly exercise is what you are saying.. which we already knew .... as I said.
How on earth have you gone from plum's saying that it doesn't pick up all cases to saying that's he or she is implying that it's a useless and costly exercise? Which it isn't.
And I'm quite sure the 1000s of women in this country who have had abnormal smears, many if not most as a direct result of HPV, through the Cervical Check process would say it may very well have saved their lives.
The trick is trying to get that other proportion of women who don't participate in the screening to be more proactive about their health.
And where possible to get the HPV vaccine before its too late.
Call me Al is offline  
14-09-2018, 10:26   #1475
alaimacerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post


The old " if correctly challenged, accuse of ignorance" tactic!
There might be a reason you're seeing what you purport to take as this "tactic" so much.

Quote:
Screening then a useless and costly exercise is what you are saying.. which we already knew .... as I said.
Graces7 is a handy distillation of why we can't have nice things. Especially in the health service. If it's not perfect, scream the house down and wreck it. Losing the demonstrable good that it did do.

Last edited by alaimacerc; 14-09-2018 at 20:46.
alaimacerc is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 14:23   #1476
Srameen
Registered User
 
Srameen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
I have never in all my time on Boards wanted to attack a poster more!
Your intransigence and myopic understanding of what screening is intended to be, could quite easily earn me my 1st ban.

I would respectfully suggest that you research and then try and actually understand what the goals and limitations of any medical screening program are. There is a reason screening programs are continuous and it is to ensure that where possible a false positve/negative on screen is picked up on the following screen.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK230552/

Start there, even a limited screening program saves a health service an order of magnitude more in costs than it would spend in treating late stage diagnosis.
Let alone the lives saved by the early identification and ablation of cancerous or pre-cancerous cells in just cervical cancer cases.
Not worth the annoyance.

Unfortunately there are people who will trawl the Internet for the one piece of bad science that agrees with their viewpoint. They'll make blanket statements but won't engage in an actual discussion based on facts.
Thank goodness we have screening. Thank goodness we have vaccinations. What we now need is more of both. It's a clear fact that thousands of lives have been saved by vaccines. Screening saved two lives in my own family.
Srameen is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:46   #1477
Igotadose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srameen View Post
Not worth the annoyance.

Unfortunately there are people who will trawl the Internet for the one piece of bad science that agrees with their viewpoint. They'll make blanket statements but won't engage in an actual discussion based on facts.
Thank goodness we have screening. Thank goodness we have vaccinations. What we now need is more of both. It's a clear fact that thousands of lives have been saved by vaccines. Screening saved two lives in my own family.
Vaccines do more than save lives. They save you from living with horrible disabilities. They save children from going through the hell of childhood diseases.
Igotadose is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 16:07   #1478
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaimacerc View Post
There might be a reason you're seeing what you purport to take as "tactic" so much.



Graces7 is a handy distillation of why we can't have nice things. Especially in the health service. If it's not perfect, scream the house down and wreck it. Losing the demonstrable good that it did do.
I have reported this post as a personal attack. I challenge yes and the way you respond? as a seriously vaccine damaged person of course I challenge.

Attacking like this? Cuts too near the bone?
Graces7 is offline  
14-09-2018, 16:10   #1479
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotadose View Post
Vaccines do more than save lives. They save you from living with horrible disabilities. They save children from going through the hell of childhood diseases.
and sometimes they do serious damage. You need to face THAT reality please.

Over and out as you are clearly refusing to have any civilised discussion. I have never made personal insults against you so why take this tack?

Over and out...more challenging vaccines than ever.
Graces7 is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 16:12   #1480
VinLieger
Registered User
 
VinLieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
and sometimes they do serious damage.

No they don't.
VinLieger is offline  
14-09-2018, 16:13   #1481
kunst nugget
Registered User
 
kunst nugget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
I have reported this post as a personal attack. I challenge yes and the way you respond? as a seriously vaccine damaged person of course I challenge.

Attacking like this? Cuts too near the bone?
How did vaccines seriously damage you?
kunst nugget is offline  
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 16:22   #1482
ancapailldorcha
Liberal Oppressor & Ailurophile
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunst nugget View Post
How did vaccines seriously damage you?
I wouldn't bother asking to be honest. Graces7 has a tendency to make wildly fanciful claims and then leave.
ancapailldorcha is online now  
14-09-2018, 16:34   #1483
kunst nugget
Registered User
 
kunst nugget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
I wouldn't bother asking to be honest. Graces7 has a tendency to make wildly fanciful claims and then leave.
I was just curious... I don't know if she mentioned it on this thread before and with nearly 1,500 posts on it, I'm not arsed going through it.
kunst nugget is offline  
14-09-2018, 16:42   #1484
Igotadose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunst nugget View Post
I was just curious... I don't know if she mentioned it on this thread before and with nearly 1,500 posts on it, I'm not arsed going through it.
No she hasn't, have been on this thread awhile.
Plus she did say 'over and out' so hopefully she won't be back.
Igotadose is offline  
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 16:57   #1485
ancapailldorcha
Liberal Oppressor & Ailurophile
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunst nugget View Post
I was just curious... I don't know if she mentioned it on this thread before and with nearly 1,500 posts on it, I'm not arsed going through it.
Don't. You won't learn anything. I've tried asking to no avail.
ancapailldorcha is online now  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet