Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Mrs MM has a wine 2005 Avensis with that lacquer peel occurring all over it. Where would I find out if it's involved in a recall?

Go to your nearest Toyota Dealer! They should sort it for you. Or ring them and give them your registration. I couldn't find it online. There is an American site but no word on the lacquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Small bits and bobs to the Z

Mostly tidying up the mess I left when hunting the fueling issue!

I did also change the coolant. Need new hoses at some stage
    c94vEb3h.jpg

Changed the rear pads. Fixed caliper setup, one of the pads was a bit awkward coming out otherwise it was straight forward
    ZJcdBvTh.jpg

On a side note, I started to tear down the engine out of the other Avensis I bought. Easy spots
    Mdcd0B3h.jpg

More fun in due time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Mrs MM has a wine 2005 Avensis with that lacquer peel occurring all over it. Where would I find out if it's involved in a recall?

It was the non metallic red that was covered under the recall, iirc the wine is metallic? If you want to pm me a chassis I can get it double checked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

20180607_200252.jpg

My front bumper has been hanging at the front since day one. I was told it got caught on a kerb but I fear I was lied to. I removed it and was greeted with a right mess of a repair. The bumper is perfect but was put back on to the bumper bar/carrier with self tapping screws indiscriminately screwed everywhere. I undid the mess, bought the correct push rivets and set back to work. I need to buy more push rivets tomorrow and hopefully when I get it back on it will sit right. If not I will start saving for a new bumper. I want the car right so may just buy a primed genuine one from BMW in time, I can get it painted for free so it won't hurt too much. I fitted new splash guards as the old ones were in bits. If anyone has a AVUS m sport bumper in very good nick I would love a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It was the non metallic red that was covered under the recall, iirc the wine is metallic? If you want to pm me a chassis I can get it double checked though.

It’s only the Solar red (3e5 IIRC.) that was recalled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Changed the rear lights to the LED ones. Not OEM but they are a perfect fit and plenty bright. Freshen up the back of it I think!

LED_Before.png

LED_After1.png

LED_After2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Well not exactly just today but a lot of work over the weekend and nearly done. Lil change to the car interior.
    453143.jpg
    453144.jpg
    453145.jpg
    453185.jpg

Oh and changed out the air filter box......
    453184.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Those tail lights are about the best thing you can possibly do to freshen up a Mk6 Golf, looks particularly smart with the Vancouver's. I think they were only OE on the gti/ gtd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Changed the rear lights to the LED ones. Not OEM but they are a perfect fit and plenty bright. Freshen up the back of it I think!

They look well! Mind me asking where you picked those up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Those tail lights are about the best thing you can possibly do to freshen up a Mk6 Golf, looks particularly smart with the Vancouver's. I think they were only OE on the gti/ gtd?

Ya very happy with them! Seen them on gtd's alright, they're an optional extra on the highline/GT. Was hard find a car with them when I was searching, and they were one of the things I wanted. Prefer them over the standard portos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Another visual thing, front this time. Very limited access, so plenty of NSFW words flew off my mouth during the job, but finally, it's done! :D

Before:

453210.jpg

After:

453211.jpg

What's out/what's in:

453212.jpg

Got pressed metal plates for the Avensis, looking fresher now!

No pictures yet... Yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Got pressed metal plates for the Avensis, looking fresher now!

No pictures yet... Yet...

Please not German font

Please not German font

Funny you should say that, the set I got initially were in German font...

Duly rejected until standard font plates were delivered!

Funny you should say that, the set I got initially were in German font...

Duly rejected until standard font plates were delivered!

Few..... That's a relief :-)

Few..... That's a relief :-)

My views on German font are negative, and some people are upset my German cars don't have said plates. Only time they look good is scraping watery slurry from a dung spreader chute.

I hope they're even more annoyed now :)

I've had a nosey, the only pic I have is from this afternoon. Also used double sided tape for both, so no screws or drilling
    453220.jpg

Think I'd still rather the Avensis and all :p

Snapchat-551686342.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Well not exactly just today but a lot of work over the weekend and nearly done. Lil change to the car interior.
    453143.jpg

Only my opinion of course but I cant help feel the red really cheapens the look of the interior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

rex-x wrote: »
    Only my opinion of course but I cant help feel the red really cheapens the look of the interior
    Totally get you. I had the worry too. But with the red accent in other parts of the car I tried it and thought it looked good....but yeah was certainly a worry. When I'm done inc the steering wheel ill show ya

I find when it's done with a pot of paint and vents and other bits done it just ain't right.

Today I washed and polished my car for the first time in a year I'd say. Wish I took a before picture.

PHGntnS.jpg

I also had a look at the windscreen washer fluid reservoir. The washer isn't working anymore. There are two tubes coming off the cap of the bottle. One seems to be broken off but I never seen them on a cap before.

VttqAAe.jpg

Why are they there? And would it being broken cause the pump to stop working? Or coincidence:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Pity you forgot about the wheels :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fook. Just remembered I never put on the new power steering pump pulley before I went on holidays. I better do it soon, the chance of the old pulley imploding while driving is high I'd say. Not a bad job, 30 mins tops I'd say. If it's dry tomorrow evening I'll hopefully get it done.

Pity you forgot about the wheels :pac:

I didn't forget! I was too ****ed after washing and polishing. I do it the old fashioned way - by hand with a cloth!

I have brake dust remover fluid to do the wheels. I'll do them soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fook. Just remembered I never put on the new power steering pump pulley before I went on holidays. I better do it soon, the chance of the old pulley imploding while driving is high I'd say. Not a bad job, 30 mins tops I'd say. If it's dry tomorrow evening I'll hopefully get it done.

Done.

And changed the drivers side electric window switch which finally fully broke there a few weeks back. It was just the plastic switch, rather than any electrics. My auto-down functionality had stopped working about 2 years back... it works now! Huzzah!

Finally got around to putting the new calipers on my TSport. Decided to change the discs and pads too to keep it even! Took about 2.5 hrs for both sides and my back is broke! What I wouldn't give for an hydraulic lift!

vVTRm0W.jpg

They were red rotten. I left it way too late but at least it's done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Left the dash cam on while away for the weekend!:mad:

Hopefully will be up and running again soon enough.
    Weird Panasonic battery.:eek:
    ibzazb.jpg

Did the spark plugs today. Bought them months ago but couldn't get them out then with the tools I had. Got a special thin spark plug socket made by Teng and a nice extension made by Wera.

The Iridium plugs are listed for 100,000kms. There is now 143,286 miles on it. I presume they were done already:) I think it performs better but could just be dreaming.

What does a spark plug say about an engine?

lHl3NdJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Plugs look pretty good Breadbin. If they all look the same your not doing too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ms jou's car got new washer jets! :D

455353.jpg

455354.jpg

455355.jpg

455356.jpg

455357.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The mist type washer jets? A much better spray pattern than the pityfull water pistol effort of the previous type.

Advertisement