Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish gunsmith in training.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Deffo hats off to ....He posts here occasionally :) Especially doing it in Germany, that is no easy apprenticeship or field, and doubly so if you are doing it in one of the more harder European languages.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Fair play to him. I hope there is enough work for him here to keep him here when he's qualified. I wonder is there many gunsmiths. In the country as is?

Not exactly over pouplated with them anymore.Still plenty of room for one or two more.ESP for those with recognizable accreditation.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭German pointer

Good luck to him, never met him but he did go out of his way to help me a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

He's only a pr!ck anyway...... going over there... stealing their jobs :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Thanks, lads you are all very kind,
    It has been a long and challenging path to take but also very satisfying. And i have of course learned quite alot over the last number of years, but it really is just scratching the surface. I have been incredibly lucky along the way for which i am very grateful.

Cass I had actually written quite a lot and sent it into them, however, it was edited quite heavily and I think they kind of made it more understandable for their everyday reader. still a wonderful opportunity to be given.

I have an instagram account here where you can see some of the stuff i am at if you are interested.
    I dont post all that much though due to the fact the customers would be able to identify their guns etc... which could cause some hassle.
    https://www.instagram.com/sheeransam/

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Pretty sure we met at the IWA earlier this month. Always following when something pops up about your career with great interest.
    BTW I also did my apprenticeship in Germany .... 4 years of filing etc.... I kind of know how it is.
    Whish you all the best for the future.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

ejg wrote: »
    Pretty sure we met at the IWA earlier this month. Always following when something pops up about your career with great interest.
    BTW I also did my apprenticeship in Germany .... 4 years of filing etc.... I kind of know how it is.
    Whish you all the best for the future.

edi

cheers Edi, Yes it was me at IWA :pac:
    Thank you and it was nice having a chat with you again and checking out the new products. I think it is fantastic that such a company in Ireland exists producing such quality firearms related products. Once i am done here ill be down to you for a new stock. :D
    Take care,
    sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Well done, sounds like a great experience!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

juice1304 wrote: »
    Cass I had actually written quite a lot and sent it into them, however, it was edited quite heavily and I think they kind of made it more understandable for their everyday reader. still a wonderful opportunity to be given.
    Considering the amount of hatchet jobs done on anything firearm related i'd call it a win.
    I have an instagram account here where you can see some of the stuff i am at if you are interested.
    I dont post all that much though due to the fact the customers would be able to identify their guns etc... which could cause some hassle.
    https://www.instagram.com/sheeransam/
    Ye fecking kids and yer interweb. Don't have an instagram. :o

Lad feel free to throw as much of it as you want up on the forum, and on this thread. Two reason, one to drool over and also to ask a few questions.

What do you reckon will be the next step. Reading the article you said you've only started and are interested in continuing in training. Any chance you can let us know the kind of stuff you've done (stock, actions, etc) and what you might like to go at (i see you mentioned engraving).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Sam = a rouge and gentleman. There is always a pint and a shot or two waiting for you when your back over here.
    I still want your 30-30 under lever.

A great write up and I hope all is going well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I picked up these last time I was in Suhl. Just in case someone is interested.
    Gunsmith or engraver college that is part of the apprenticeship.

TdisBeF.jpg

edi

Come out with either of those qualifications from Suhl, ...Well name your price and job conditions, and what time the boss's wife will awaken you with a cup of coffee every morning before work.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Fair play to you for following your dream sam

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

Fair play and we do hope you return and set up shop here when your ready to make that move. God knows the country is in bad need of a time served qualified gunsmith. Not someone that’s handy with a lathe and has no training or qualification to back up there work.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Brilliant stuff, more power to you.. come home soon, decent gunsmiths badly needed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Congratulations and best wishes for what ever you do after your final exams.
    I followed that thread you started with some pictures initially, I'll have to try get on instagram now !

Advertisement