Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some of the 00z guidance promises heavy snow for inland southeast, south and even southwest, low drops straight south once it reaches Clare coast ... Hirlam has it quite intense, Arpege not quite as good.

Rain will eventually change to snow in many places today, with possible exception of east coast.

Would have ruled out east coast 2 hours a go. Not so sure now. Temps and dps getting just a little nearer to more favorable zone in the last couple of hours. Interesting to see if that trend continiues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Toddler woke up and yelled. Looked out the window. Not a flake. Kilcock. Back to sleep for this house

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Flakes getting bigger here now - still doing a straight drop to the floor as opposed to floating on over in the ENE wind. 1.8c/0.8cDP.

Johnstown a full degree cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Howth down to 2.2/1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Snowing heavy glenculken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Glencullen

2.48/1.5 @ 04:49

Hmmm

Thought it would be more like 2c warmer myself.

2.2/1.2 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

At 5:10am:
    Kilkenny City 3.2C
    6 miles as the crow flies to the higher ground 1.6C (now 1.5C)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Nasty night here with a biting E wind and moderate rain sweeping up the Irish sea. Dunno about temps, but I reckon I'm around the 3C mark. Starting to see a few larger sleety blobs in the rain now also. Very rare to see so much red over Ireland on the netweather radar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Some of the 00z guidance promises heavy snow for inland southeast, south and even southwest, low drops straight south once it reaches Clare coast ... Hirlam has it quite intense, Arpege not quite as good.

Rain will eventually change to snow in many places today, with possible exception of east coast.

Hard to believe it could snow down here in north cork its close to 7 degrees where I am! When are the temperatures expected to drop so significantly?

• Advertisement

Snow falling in Tallaght now- temperature there has dropped 1 degC in 30 minutes...+0.5/-0.4

Dublin Airport 2.2/1.4 at present on a road site there.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Wet snow in Galway city, I’ll be damned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Heavy sleet turning to snow in dunboyne

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Hard to believe it could snow down here in north cork its close to 7 degrees where I am! When are the temperatures expected to drop so significantly?

Around 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. would be your window of opportunity for snow, in north Cork, more like 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. in south Cork.

It may not amount to much but temperatures will take a sharp drop just before those time intervals.

Snow falling in Tallaght now- temperature there has dropped 1 degC in 30 minutes...+0.5/-0.4

Dublin Airport 2.2/1.4 at present on a road site there.

Had to check just to see if we were still east northeast. We are...Surprising to see this given the strength of the breeze.

Light rain been reported at EIDW at an intensity of 2,8mm per hour- pretty sure that is moderate rain.

Had to check just to see if we were still east northeast. We are...Surprising to see this given the strength of the breeze.

Yea impressive given the 10-15 knot easterly breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DaithiMa

One more of these to drown my sorrows before bed..https://imgur.com/pf3v3hc
    And before I hit the hay I got the good camera out especially for Frax. Some pics taken 10 minutes ago https://imgur.com/a/8huVJ
    5 Miles North/A tad West Of Tuam 60m ASL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭rameire

Northside of Dublin. D9. Very cold but loads of Rain.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Fell asleep on the couch around 3 and it was raining quite heavily.

Now it's chucking down handkerchiefs and sticking.

Temps went from 2 to -1 in that time.

Carlow 200m asl.

• Advertisement

1.9/1.1 now @ howth. Wind has pickef up notably in last half hour with me in north Dublin which makes the obs a little contradictory to say the least...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm glad we got in a few extra provisions yesterday because we won't be moving for a day or two. Forecasts in here were bang on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

As expected its raining in my area of county meath

Proper snow falling now - moderate intensity. Not sticking yet as there is 10mm of rain to freeze out, so probably a half hour or so before that work is done. Hoping for an increase in precip rates to aid ground-covering. Radar looks decent. 1.0c/0.0cDP. Wind almost gone, just a slight ENE. South Laois.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very wet in Dublin 16 with icy/bloby rain....verging on sleet. 1.7c DP 0.8c.

Errill, Mountrath and Killeshin all reporting snow falling on LaoisWeather facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Heavy snow falling here in Laois and its sticking big time! Place is completely white already. If this keeps up then getting to work tomorrow might be tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Heavy snow falling in Carlow too now and sticking quite well considering the rain that fell!! :-)

Heavy snow falling here in Laois and its sticking big time! Place is completely white already. If this keeps up then getting to work tomorrow might be tricky
    What part of Laois?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Following a quick look out the window (Westmeath) a quick review of met.ie station data, and a review of local reports here it would appear that this event did not come close to delivering on its potential. Sadly what could have been epic snowfall has fallen as rain mostly, to this point anyway. Wrong side of marginal on the whole despite the few exceptions being reported.

Advertisement