Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Got it myself. Just off phone from loyalty. Got lifetime half price as I was going to cancel because they were giving me something free! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mad m wrote: »
    Got it myself. Just off phone from loyalty. Got lifetime half price as I was going to cancel because they were giving me something free! :)

My head hurts......
    Come again- they have given you lifetime half price, because you didn't want a freebie? Like what? Who on earth did you get on the phone- they sound like the ultimate walkover- perhaps it was their last day or something- and they wanted to go out with a bang?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Just got this mail:

XXXX, 6 months of Netflix compliments of us
    XXXX, have Netflix on us. Seriously – no strings; we just think you’re awesome

You’ll find no conspiracy here. 6 months of Netflix, just for you. Call it a gift from us to say thank you for being a Virgin Media customer.

Enjoy 100s of original series, movies and documentaries at your fingertips – just click the link below and follow a few simple steps. Seriously – that’s it!

Seems like a 6 month free Netflix. Happy Days!! :)

No Netflix e-mail here........ :(
    Is everyone getting it- or how are they targetting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

I got this email the other day.

'Just because you're awesome'

'Have Netflix on us. Seriously - no strings; we just think you're awesome'

I felt that they genuinely meant it so redeemed the offer.

Was already a Netflix subscriber, so got my account credited to the value of 59.94.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

My head hurts......
    Come again- they have given you lifetime half price, because you didn't want a freebie? Like what? Who on earth did you get on the phone- they sound like the ultimate walkover- perhaps it was their last day or something- and they wanted to go out with a bang?

Conductor, sorry it was meant as a little joke....lifetime half price, yeaaaaa roight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

mad m wrote: »
    Ya did in your hole.
    van_beano wrote: »
    Just got that e-Mail myself. Does it say something about me being paranoid or something that I am looking for what the catch is? Haven't redeemed it yet, do they look for card details or anything or how does it work?

I'm sure they're hoping you don't cancel by the end of the 6th month and end up paying for Netflix or something.

Redeemed it myself yesterday. 60€ added to existing Netflix account credit. Happy days. 3 clicks and you're done. Obviously, non-flix folk will have to create an account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

No Netflix e-mail here........ :(
    Is everyone getting it- or how are they targetting it?

None here for me either :(

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'd imagine that it's probably just customers who have triple play services from them, can't see customers like me with just BB and phone getting this Netflix offer, especially now that I've just taken 2 mobile sims from them for €5 a month for 5 months along with being just 3 months into a 50% 9 month half price deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Shanegggg

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I'd imagine that it's probably just customers who have triple play services from them, can't see customers like me with just BB and phone getting this Netflix offer, especially now that I've just taken 2 mobile sims from them for ?5 a month for 5 months along with being just 3 months into a 50% 9 month half price deal.

I've the 9 months at half price (triple play) and 2 x mobiles at 5 euro offer and still got the Netflix offer. :D Guess it was picked at random

It must be to promote the Netflix App on the Horizon Box, so if you don't have one of them your probably out of luck.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Shanegggg wrote: »
    I've the 9 months at half price (triple play) and 2 x mobiles at 5 euro offer and still got the Netflix offer. :D Guess it was picked at random

It must be to promote the Netflix App on the Horizon Box, so if you don't have one of them your probably out of luck.

As I've said, you've got triple services from them, that's why you were part of the group selected so far.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    As I've said, you've got triple services from them, that's why you were part of the group selected so far.

I just signed up to the 240mb bb and home phone recently and got the Netflix offer included. Might just be sending out offer to existing customers in waves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm triple service and haven't received anything.

As an aside does anyone know? We got the broadband hub from them recently because the wifi on our horizon box stopped working, there is no internet connection on our horizon box anymore so it won't play the Netlix app. Is there a way to connect the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

January wrote: »
    I'm triple service and haven't received anything.

As an aside does anyone know? We got the broadband hub from them recently because the wifi on our horizon box stopped working, there is no internet connection on our horizon box anymore so it won't play the Netlix app. Is there a way to connect the two.

Connection by Ethernet
    Connect one of the four LAN connections at the rear of the Horizon Box to the router using an Ethernet cable.

Then go to: MAIN MENU > TOOLBOX > SETTINGS > HOME NETWORK SETTINGS > SET UP YOUR HOME NETWORK

Select CLIENT. The Horizon Box searches the network for a DHCP server to obtain an IP address. As soon as an IP address has been assigned, the following message will appear: «Your box has been successfully connected to your home network. Please select the Media Wizard to continue with the configuration».

https://support-en.upc.ch/app/answers/detail/a_id/5335/~/connecting-horizon-by-ethernet-or-wlan

http://support.virginmedia.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/627/~/connecting-horizon-tv-to-your-existing-home-network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

the only emails i get of VM is life time trap with their mobile.

That said anyone with recently ending contract spoke to loyalty team ? and do they still give out 6months half price deals,since find that 360BB is a bit useless on wireless connection and with speeds getting might as well be on 100mb line.Since 30e is fine,but 62e for bb is a bit of a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Anyone manage to get 9 months discount ? I am fed up paying so much for a crap service.

I am with Virgin/UPC/NTL and whatever else they have been called since 1999 my contract for 9 months half price is up since December and am paying €115 per month for the following

Digital max tv in 3 rooms 2 Recording box and 1 normal I never took Horizon I have no sports/movies or any extra stations.
    Broadband says I have Limitless 240mb but its crap
    Phone I have anytime calls in Ireland and thinks its anytime world

Now I am cutting out the 2 extra rooms as tv is just not used in those rooms so that will cut that down just checked my bill and is it possible that they are charging me 11 per room extra?

I just can't face making the call yet as last time it took me almost a month to sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well seems you managed quite good for services provided and getting 9mo half price,since they only budged for me 6 months at most and thats only BB,as speeds go theres not much can be done unless you cable your house and get proper router.

That said since last change, think most will be up for renewal in September.So until more people are out of contract its hard to tell what way VM will go, since been with them 5+ years now but dont think they really care for loyalty that much.

scamalert wrote: »
    well seems you managed quite good for services provided and getting 9mo half price,since they only budged for me 6 months at most and thats only BB,as speeds go theres not much can be done unless you cable your house and get proper router.

That said since last change, think most will be up for renewal in September.So until more people are out of contract its hard to tell what way VM will go, since been with them 5+ years now but dont think they really care for loyalty that much.

Give it a chance- Vodafone in particular have some really excellent offers at the moment and are likely to do so in future-unless you *need* 240/360Mb broadband (and who among us do?) there are very reasonable offers from competitors out there.

Keep your powder dry- but be fully prepared to move.

If Virgin think you're not going to move- they've no reason to incentivise you to stay............

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

6 months into my 12 month now. I had 10 euro off for these 6 months so my bill was 40 per month. Now it will be 50 per month.

I am on 240mb broadband and phone (although I have never used the phone).

Was going to ring and try negotiate a new deal. I see they are offering 240mb broadband, phone and TV for 49eur per month for 12 months! However! After 12 months are up, the price shoots up to 85 per month!! Now you might think, you will be out of contract after 12 months. Yes that is correct. So why not drop the TV and go back to your broadband and phone only deal when that happens?

Broadband and phone will cost 55 a month! 5 more than I pay now. Don't really need TV either, just thought I may as well get TV since I will be paying 50 a month for the next 6 month anyway.

Any advice? :d

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you've still got 6 months left on your contract, they don't need to give you an offer sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cavey wrote: »
    6 months into my 12 month now. I had 10 euro off for these 6 months so my bill was 40 per month. Now it will be 50 per month.

Was going to ring and try negotiate a new deal. I see they are offering 240mb broadband, phone and TV for 49eur per month for 12 months! However! After 12 months are up, the price shoots up to 85 per month!! Now you might think, you will be out of contract after 12 months. Yes that is correct. So why not drop the TV and go back to your broadband and phone only deal when that happens?

Broadband and phone will cost 55 a month! 5 more than I pay now. Don't really need TV either, just thought I may as well get TV since I will be paying 50 a month for the next 6 month anyway.

I'm dropping eir and moving to virgin on the 49 pm offer.
    I've 6 months to run on sky TV but it's a good deal and I'll drop sky when the contract is up.
    For now I'll have a TV in the bedroom.
    Go through boards and get a 50€ voucher as well.
    I really only wanted broadband but it wasn't worth getting on its own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm dropping eir and moving to virgin on the 49 pm offer.
    I've 6 months to run on sky TV but it's a good deal and I'll drop sky when the contract is up.
    For now I'll have a TV in the bedroom.
    Go through boards and get a 50€ voucher as well.
    I really only wanted broadband but it wasn't worth getting on its own

Note that there's a €54 offer with way better channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Cavey wrote: »

I don't have any advice really, just posting to say thanks for highlighting this for me. I'm in a similar boat, had half price for 4 months and then back up to 55 euro (well 52.50 paying online) for just broadband, so this bundle gives me more for less. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

Parents are currently paying 52.50 for BB and phone. Out of contract at the moment. What's the best I could expect to get out of them.

6 months half price?

boris1234 wrote: »
    Parents are currently paying 52.50 for BB and phone. Out of contract at the moment. What's the best I could expect to get out of them.

6 months half price?

You could try for 6 months half price on a current package- or you could go with the likes of their latest offer:

240Mb Broadband
    Anytime mobile and Home Phone
    Virgin MIX TV

EUR49 a month per month for the entirety of a 12 month contract

I.e. you get a lot better bang for your buck these days than even a few months ago- Sky have a few very competitive offerings (that they'll offer you if you go up to one of their stands- not on their website)- that Virgin have to counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

You could try for 6 months half price on a current package- or you could go with the likes of their latest offer:

240Mb Broadband
    Anytime mobile and Home Phone
    Virgin MIX TV

EUR49 a month per month for the entirety of a 12 month contract

I.e. you get a lot better bang for your buck these days than even a few months ago- Sky have a few very competitive offerings (that they'll offer you if you go up to one of their stands- not on their website)- that Virgin have to counter.

I rang yesterday and they would only give me 15 euro off for 6 months. Think I need to ring back with my homework done on the alternative deals available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

boris1234 wrote: »
    I rang yesterday and they would only give me 15 euro off for 6 months. Think I need to ring back with my homework done on the alternative deals available.

I certainly didn't do my homework and still got 6 months half price recently :pac: My 1 year contract had expired and I just told your man straight up that I want the same deal that I got last year, which was 6 months half price and full price the remaining 6 months.

At first, he was like I can only give you 6 months half price on the phone + broadband. No discount on TV.

I told him, "Well, Eir are doing 6 months half price for everything (TV + broadband + phone)". Which I didn't know at the time was true or not, since I hadn't even bothered to look at the Eir website.

He countered that the speed is only 100MB with Eir, as opposed to 240MB with them. Then I just basically told him I don't care about the speed, I'll go with whoever's cheaper.

That did the trick. He offered to put me on a "new package" and I got 6 months half price on the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Is there a better certain time to call to get India? I only ever seem to get offers from them. Irish loyalty was 15 off for 4 months and then OK. Go ahead and cancel.

brightkane wrote: »
    Is there a better certain time to call to get India? I only ever seem to get offers from them. Irish loyalty was 15 off for 4 months and then OK. Go ahead and cancel.

Honestly- I've never gotten a deal off the Indians- always the Irish down in Limerick. Anyhow- the Indian call centre are 4 and a half hours ahead of us- sometime before lunch is probably best for getting them.

Why don't people just cancel and get their other halves etc to sign up.
    Did that with sky several times when they stopped playing ball.
    Am now with virgin as of today having dumped eir after 3 years of the family and friends deal. Still have sky TV for 5 more months.

• Advertisement

Why don't people just cancel and get their other halves etc to sign up.
    Did that with sky several times when they stopped playing ball.
    Am now with virgin as of today having dumped eir after 3 years of the family and friends deal. Still have sky TV for 5 more months.

Advertisement