Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I'm just out of contract with VM, paying 139.98 p/m for TV, broadband, sky sports & multi room X 1, been with them for years, what discount is realistic if I give them a call, my current service is available for 91 p/m for 12 months, 135 after that for new customers
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭CFC007

I was in the same situation loyal customer for years any discount offered was below new customers, so cancelled and signed my misses up straight away. Ended up costing VM sending a courier out with the new box and another driver to pick up the old box. Makes no sense!
    I'm just out of contract with VM, paying 139.98 p/m for TV, broadband, sky sports & multi room X 1, been with them for years, what discount is realistic if I give them a call, my current service is available for 91 p/m for 12 months, 135 after that for new customers
    Thanks

Thanks, how long ago did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭CFC007

Last week.
    Thanks, how long ago did that happen?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks

Half price for 6 months of a new 12 month contract.
    They're still reasonably happy to offer it- but it does seem to depend on who you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

I just rang them to see what kind of a deal I could get and was very disappointed with their offer.

Currently have Horizon Max + BB (+ unused phone) for €90 per month, and have been out of contract since Feb. Sky's relevant deal is €47 per month for 6 months, €94 thereafter, averaging €70ish for 12 months. You also get a €100 pre-paid Mastercard, so if that's €8 per month, then the net average payment would be around €62 per month for 12 months.

I went straight through to (Limerick) loyalty and mentioned the Sky deal which had come through my door and was put on hold to see what they could do. Their offer was €73 per month for 6 months and then reverting to €90. I pointed out they're currently offering €54 per month for 12 months for new customers for the same package (with a different name) and for better hardware. No dice.

I've always threatened to leave for Sky to get a deal out of them, but this time I think I'm just going to have to go for it. No way am I sticking with VM if that's the best they can do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bad news. Virgin UK are upping prices after closing stores recently.
    New owners are tightening the screws.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/31/virgin_hikes_bundles_prices_again/

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Hope they up the price here, perfect opportunity to get out of contract !

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

How long would I be without service if I was to leave VM and then get my wife to sign up straight away as a new customer on a better deal, and how long would the process take? Would it make matter about payments coming from the same bank a/c ? Currently out of contract on Horizon Max bundle at €93.00 and only getting offered €78 for 4 months then back to full price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

colcatscar wrote: »
    How long would I be without service if I was to leave VM and then get my wife to sign up straight away as a new customer on a better deal, and how long would the process take? Would it make matter about payments coming from the same bank a/c ? Currently out of contract on Horizon Max bundle at €93.00 and only getting offered €78 for 4 months then back to full price.

Bit of a how long is a piece of string question.
    It could be seamless- or it could take weeks.
    I use a GSM backup for critical purposes, incase I loose my Virgin connection (i.e. for VPN'ing into work if I'm working at home etc etc)

There is no reason there should be a delay- it should be seamless- but it just might not be.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

Heading away for a weeks holiday soon and just thinking it could be the ideal time to change without loss of service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

I have broadband only with Virgin and the girl in the Phillipines called me back. I got it reduced from 53 euros to €39.99 for 6 months and a new modem so happy with that deal. I really had to haggle, they didn't want to give me the free modem and asked me to talk to technical support. I pointed out how come Virgin sales team rang me a while ago and offered a new modem to get me into a new contract so that swung it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭odddavey

I cancelled back early July. We're not offering anything that would be acceptable. Had tv bb and phone. 90€ a month. Wife signed back up. For bb only on the Thurs. Arrived on Friday. 35 a month

odddavey wrote: »
    I cancelled back early July. We're not offering anything that would be acceptable. Had tv bb and phone. 90€ a month. Wife signed back up. For bb only on the Thurs. Arrived on Friday. 35 a month

You did well so. I was going to hold my nerve and cancel but we need broadband for a home business so couldn't risk cancelling

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Went through the usual renegotiation hassle with them last month. I'm a low volume broadband-only user (using Freesat for TV for years). Was paying €22 per month for 30Gb. Last year I weakened and settled for 9 month renewal at €22 and double price in the last three months. This year they wanted to up the price to €22 per month and double for the last six months. Very aggressive too. In the end said no thankyou. Contract ended and NB disconnected the cable (Otherwise they apparently love charging you whatever they like.).
    Was happily making other arrangements but Virgin rang after a week, so sorry to lose a regular payer after 25 years, and coaxed me back to €22 a month (with no higher priced months later in the year).
    The moral of the story is you have to be prepared to actually cancel. They're doing this negotiation all day every day and know most people will blink. That's why they feel they can push prices up so aggressively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

My wife cancelled and i signed up as a new business customer. There's an overlap of almost a week but I'm happy enough

She was offered a few deals when ringing to cancel but can't remember what. Definitely not the new business deal

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭magicray

Ours is gone back up to full price again €96 pm, as soon as we are out of contract I am changing to a different plan - thats just too expensive for an unused landline and honestly no one really watches the TV

If we cancel and the other half signs back up as a new customer - do they not go by address ?

magicray wrote: »
    Ours is gone back up to full price again €96 pm, as soon as we are out of contract I am changing to a different plan - thats just too expensive for an unused landline and honestly no one really watches the TV

If we cancel and the other half signs back up as a new customer - do they not go by address ?

But who is to say who is living at the address? There are all sorts of scenarios, let's say you and your partner decided to split up? Your other half would need to set up a contract in their name.

Interestingly though, we just entered another 12 month contract but they have put both our names down this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Is the €49 for BB and Tv the best package ppl are able to get at the moment or have some ppl negotiated a better deal/ something off the €49 deal - I'm coming out of contract shortly and thinking of switching to this

colcatscar wrote: »

Just done this, we were without service for 3 days, some of this was my fault with timing, possibly another factor was that we went through bonkers.ie rather than Virgin directly, end of the day, we now have the same package but for just under €48 per month less, that's €575 for the year so significant enough

I'll be doing the same in 12 months if needed or switching to Sky once I can verify the stability of their broadband locally

So today a courier delivered the new gear, later a different driver collected two old set top boxes, old modem, the chap who collected them told me he is flat out collecting stuff, doesn't make sense to me but I'm much happier with the new price & equipment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Is the €49 for BB and Tv the best package ppl are able to get at the moment or have some ppl negotiated a better deal/ something off the €49 deal - I'm coming out of contract shortly and thinking of switching to this

Can't see how anyone might get better than half price for 12 months which is what the current deal is

It is for new customers only and, for me at least, they would not budge on that

Gave my 30 days notice, waited three weeks, wife signed up for a new account, new equipment arrived within two days

Now paying exactly half what we were paying before and getting more as old package did not include mobile calls

Would not have bothered with TV and phone except for the full package being cheaper than BB on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Trying to cancel... On hold 20 min :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Trying to cancel... On hold 20 min :mad:

Only strengthens your resolve to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nothing stopping anyone cancelling by email if they know they want to.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nothing stopping anyone cancelling by email if they know they want to.

This^^^^^^^^^^

By far the easiest way to cancel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I did mine by email. They made a deal at last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Also giives you a record of it. As they often change what they agreed. IN my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Contacted Virgin last week as my year is nearly up and said I wanted to cancel ( I was on hold for online chat for 20 minutes plus so they've really cut back the number of operators v's previous years).
    Best they'd offer me was 3 months half price, 9 full. Said I'd exhausted all my 6 month and 9 month half price offers over the past few years.

I said I still wanted to cancel and was given the spiel about how no one could match their broadband speeds etc etc. Took a while but eventually I got my notice period under way

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can't use up offers by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

whats the best deal they can offer at present ??

Advertisement