Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Faux Pas

• 16-09-2017 10:51pm

Greetings Boardsies,

So i got married today. Upon arriving at the church I noticed my sister was wearing a white dress.

Thought it was kind of an unwritten rule broken.

Neutral thoughts?

Cheers.

Colin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Greetings Boardsies,

So i got married today. Upon arriving at the church I noticed my sister was wearing a white dress.

Neutral thoughts?

Cheers.

Colin

Depends. Were you marrying your sister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Ditch the dress and wear a suit next time.

Wedding etiquette. Female guests do not usually wear a white dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Just married today and you're posting here and its not even 11pm!?

Maybe you should pay some attention to your wife and what she's wearing! ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

All rules are written.

An unwritten rule doesn't exist, by definition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭threetrees

Greetings Boardsies,

Neutral thoughts?

Cheers.

Colin

I'm more concerned that you are posting here on the night of your wedding than worrying about the guest attire etiquette, seriously, get off your phone and be with your new wife!!!!!

PS, your sister should not have worn white.

Academic wrote: »
    Greetings Boardsies,

Neutral thoughts?

Cheers.

Colin

No. I should probably point out i am a heterosexual male marrying a heterosexual female.

Christ that sounds clinical.

The celebration bit was more of an extended lunch than anything. All dissolved and the drinkers gone their own ways.

Am sitting on the bog as a neutral having heard the case of both prosecution and defence.

So i am looking for neutral opinions.

The wedding has already been consummated btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No. I should probably point out i am a heterosexual male marrying a heterosexual female.

That doesn't clear anything up. So you are a guy...you prefer women. Is your sister a man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You know, it's very much possible he was talking to his now wife about it and decided to anonymously ask people was it weird or perfectly fine. Am sure he'll get down to business :p

As for my take on it? Honestly never thought about it too much before. But yeah does seem out of place / a thing not to do. I know women like to dress up for big days but it's about the bride. No need to try and "steal her thunder" if you get me?

So wearing a white dress is a no-no. But I base that on the thinking that said white dress was very wedding esque like? eg, lavish etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭threetrees

The wedding has already been consummated btw!

Well I'm glad to hear that the sister wearing white didn't cause an issue in that department!

That doesn't clear anything up. So you are a guy...you prefer women. Is your sister a man?
    I am more grappling with the question of "Is my sister a b*tch" question to be honest with you!

You know, it's very much possible he was talking to his now wife about it and decided to anonymously ask people was it weird or perfectly fine. Am sure he'll get down to business :p

As for my take on it? Honestly never thought about it too much before. But yeah does seem out of place / a thing not to do. I know women like to dress up for big days but it's about the bride. No need to try and "steal her thunder" if you get me?

So wearing a white dress is a no-no. But I base that on the thinking that said white dress was very wedding esque like? eg, lavish etc.
    Thank you :)

The dress in question was white, ambiguously white!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

I think a bigger faux Pas is being on your phone posting on boards on your wedding night..... You can worry about your sister's dress tomorrow.... And congrats BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Your sister shouldn't have worn white, like someone upthread already said, it's basic wedding etiquette.

What did she say when you remarked on it?

You're sister shouldn't have worn white. I find it hard to imagine she didn't know that. Everyone knows that.

Im guessing your new wife is upset. She'll regret spending her wedding night fuming and/or hold a grudge against your sister for ruining her mood on the day.

You should listen to whatever she has to say about it. Validate her feelings by letting her know you understand why she's upset and its completely reasonable for her to be annoyed.

And then for the love of God, tell her it doesn't
    really matter anyway, the whole congregation could have worn white and no one could have shown her up or looked better than her because she looked stunning and what's more you wouldn't have even noticed them because you only had eyes for her! Or some such lovey dovey wedding style stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

The OP is probably dead right to be up on here looking for honest discussion and thoughts from total strangers. He ain't gong to get it from the strangers at the wedding. I think your sister was trying to make a not too subtle statement about something to someone at the ceremony. Is she going out with someone? She could have been trying to send a message to her other half she would like a day out herself as a bride by wearing the same colour. Maybe she was up to something else, I dunno. What did your sister say about it anyways?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Do you mean unambiguously?

Thank you :)

Sheesh. Not good. Sounds like she wanted to steal her thunder indeed.
    Oh, was your sister a bridesmaid too by any chance? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Got married, posted on Boards within hours,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your sister and your wife can sort it out among themselves. This may or may not involve handbags at dawn.

Either way your loyalty is to your wife and what she wants. She will give you an opinion on the subject if there's any need for you to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Your sister and your wife can sort it out among themselves. This may or may not involve handbags at dawn.

White handbags too. Handy for the scrapping in these dark dawn morn's

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Do you mean unambiguously?
    No.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Got married, posted on Boards within hours,

Give the op a break :)
    We live in a world where if someone was to witness an accident or "some event" people bust out their phones to record and or tweet about it. Posting on your wedding night looking for opinions on something THAT happened at your wedding is not that weird.

Besides, and not to go off topic too much, it's not like it's the bloody first time he'll sleep with her :pac:
    A wedding night in reality isn't like two horny teenagers going at it for the first time. A lot of it (apart from the obvious getting down to it) can be just about sitting down, smiling and realizing you are married to the person you love. Getting something to eat. etc. Op, is asking something that happened in his day. Not like he is busting out the xbox one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Greetings Boardsies.

So I'm at a wedding today. Upon arriving at the church I noticed the groom eyeing up my sister.

Thought that was kind of an unwritten rule broken so I shagged the bride while he was messing around on an iPad.

Neutral thoughts?

Cheers.

Pete

---

By the way........Congratulations!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Greetings Boardsies,

Neutral thoughts?

Cheers.

Colin

Depends......was your wife/spouse to be male or female?

In short, were there 2 women in White at the wedding, and how did you distinguish between them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Academic wrote: »

Well, my question still stands. This is Ireland, after all son. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the only exception to the white dress rule would be if the sister was obviously under the age of say, 10 and/or was the flower girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I noticed lately with a lot of local weddings mothers and sister wore white/ivory to wedding. If the bride wore white somebody else in the family wore ivory and if the bride wore white they wore ivory. The bride in a lot of these cases picked out knew what the other person was wearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Does it really matter OP? Its your wedding night ffs, put a supposed faux pas out of your mind and go and enjoy the rest of your night. This will be so irrelevant in a few weeks. Congratulations!!!!

Advertisement