Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

westyIrl wrote:
    I believe 37mm diameter is the spec for the ducting (but double check with OpenEir), so thats really the only materials. A local contractor/builder with a mini digger for few hours is usually the easiest route, or such was the case for me.

Thanks,for the info,house is 12 years old,living in the country,never had a phone line installed,would I need to get wiring for the duct are do you just put a rope through it,thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Rob 808 what exchange area and county do you live in.

In the Inch St Lawernce Limerick area my line was open for orders on the Eir.ie website. I ordered the upgrade through web chat on the Eir website last Monday evening. Got a phone call from Eir to tell me that it would be the 4th October before they can do the install. It has to be singed off by Comreg. I saw another house near Caherconlish in my exchange area already has an ftth connection. But it is on a different trunk line and is marked green on the map on fibrerollout.ie as on the 15 August last. Due for another update now???
    Im in Summerhill co meath with the same date of 4 of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Thanks,for the info,house is 12 years old,living in the country,never had a phone line installed,would I need to get wiring for the duct are do you just put a rope through it,thanks again.

Just put a rope through it, should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 whiteRascal

Hope this is the right thread to post this.

On the National Broadband Plan Map is it only the houses within the Light Blue areas that will be getting FTTH in the 2018 rollout?

Our home/business is right on the edge, about 30-40m from the light blue shaded area, so does this mean we are completely out of luck?
    Or could we get our place connected some way?

There must be someone we can contact to about this.
    Or is it the case where no house or business outside this blue area will be connected no matter if there will to pay Openeir or not?

The url to the map I've been using is below

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

Hope this is the right thread to post this.

On the National Broadband Plan Map is it only the houses within the Light Blue areas that will be getting FTTH in the 2018 rollout?

Our home/business is right on the edge, about 30-40m from the light blue shaded area, so does this mean we are completely out of luck?
    Or could we get our place connected some way?

There must be someone we can contact to about this.
    Or is it the case where no house or business outside this blue area will be connected no matter if there will to pay Openeir or not?

The url to the map I've been using is below

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    The best thing to do is email open eir fibrepower@openeir.ie with your Eir code and see if they can extend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 whiteRascal

rob808 wrote: »
    The best thing to do is email open eir fibrepower@openeir.ie with your Eir code and see if they can extend it.

Is there no body else you can contact about this? Either way I'll give that a go, cheers for the reply.

Is there no body else you can contact about this? Either way I'll give that a go, cheers for the reply.
    It open eir network there is a number but it only for appointments for installs.They either extend it or won't you'll be left waiting on NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

I posted here, probably in early July, about being thwarted by eir when I went looking for FTTH. My area had been green-lit but my new build wasn't part of the 300,000 rollout. Well, today they came and installed. Power of social media!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

i have the router upstairs 7mtrs from the ONT using cat5e cable and I am losing 33% download speed , have run a second cable is case first was faulty or connections giving problems but exactly the same loss , has anyone else come across this ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

addict wrote: »
    i have the router upstairs 7mtrs from the ONT using cat5e cable and I am losing 33% download speed , have run a second cable is case first was faulty or connections giving problems but exactly the same loss , has anyone else come across this ?????

When you say 33% do you mean going from 140 odd to 90 odd?

If so, your crimping/cabling isnt very good and its dropping back to 10/100 mode.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    When you say 33% do you mean going from 140 odd to 90 odd?

If so, your crimping/cabling isnt very good and its dropping back to 10/100 mode.

Yes dropping from 150 odd to 98-115

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

First off, make sure that whatever device you are testing speed with is capable of >100Mb speeds (sounds like you have that done) and that it is wired to router (not wireless)

After move router down back down beside ONT and use a cat5e patch lead to test with. That should let you know where your problem lies.

Jim

Yes dropping from 150 odd to 98-115

Grab a flashlight and have a close look at the terminations, you'll probably find a short wire or two.

westyIrl wrote: »
    First off, make sure that whatever device you are testing speed with is capable of >100Mb speeds (sounds like you have that done) and that it is wired to router (not wireless)

After move router down back down beside ONT and use a cat5e patch lead to test with. That should let you know where your problem lies.

Jim

Already tested back at ONT using patch and speed steady between 159-168

Grab a flashlight and have a close look at the terminations, you'll probably find a short wire or two.

All ends trimmed same length before pushing into plug and all ends showing even , starting to think faulty cable itself , will have to run another length of different supplier is next step

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hope it's ok to ask here, but what size conduit should be put down to ensure that (if fibre comes to an area) that it will be installed ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Hope it's ok to ask here, but what size conduit should be put down to ensure that (if fibre comes to an area) that it will be installed ok.

The requirement is 37mm I.D. (1½" heavy gauge hydrodare) or 50mm PVC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭niallb

All ends trimmed same length before pushing into plug and all ends showing even , starting to think faulty cable itself , will have to run another length of different supplier is next step
    Which wiring standard did you use? Any chance you have a pair crossed?
    Gigabit is fussy!

niallb wrote: »
    Which wiring standard did you use? Any chance you have a pair crossed?
    Gigabit is fussy!

None crossed as tested all correct , wiring cat5e ISO 11801 4pr 24AWG

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Already was an Eir customer - looking at my first bill since my FTTH install and it includes a €100 installation fee :eek:
    Fibre Broadband Installation Fee -- Period: 31-Aug-17 -- Amount: 100.00

What the hell is that all about? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gwynston wrote: »
    Already was an Eir customer - looking at my first bill since my FTTH install and it includes a €100 installation fee :eek:

ring them, there should be no installation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

None crossed as tested all correct, wiring cat5e ISO 11801 4pr 24AWG

If your residential customer, the speeds are upto the package you selected.

So if you're on the 150mb package your speeds can be anywhere from 0mb - 150mb, that is if you're talking about 33% loss of download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

I checked my first bill and it had the € 100 fee on it but it also had an installation fee discount of € 100 further down the page

100 Euro Installation fee discount -100.00

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Did they also migrate your phoneline over to VoIP/VoBB also? If so they, eir, get a wholesale discount of €100 plus free transfer of line from open-eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Tweaky wrote: »
    I checked my first bill and it had the € 100 fee on it but it also had an installation fee discount of € 100 further down the page

100 Euro Installation fee discount -100.00

I don't have that, so I guess it's an oversight?
    I need to call them.
    The Cush wrote: »
    Did they also migrate your phoneline over to VoIP/VoBB also? If so they, eir, get a wholesale discount of €100 plus free transfer of line from open-eir.
    Nope - phone is still using the old copper line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Good luck calling them.

Got a text this morning saying to contact them about the account, our install date was now the 12th of October. Passed from pillar to post for a half an hour before and after this information trying to get the contact info or a call back from the regional sales manager who called out to us and mis-sold / misinformed us was like pulling teeth.

Had to confirm info several times, our account didn't actually exist, we weren't saying our full address (a weird one), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

raydator wrote: »

So if you're on the 150mb package your speeds can be anywhere from 0mb - 150mb, that is if you're talking about 33% loss of download speed.

That's not the case for addict. They are getting their full speed at the point of entry. There's a loss on the cat5 between it and upstairs.

raydator wrote: »

Only talking about 33% loss over cat5 run to upstairs Service is steady at 159-166 odd

another length of different supplier is next step

Yup. Sounds like its mostly alu.

• Advertisement

Yup. Sounds like its mostly alu.

Faulty cat5e cable got another roll and it's perfect , never came across faulty cat5 before but then again it would only show up in 10/1000 connections and not 10/100

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement