Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

tcooley wrote: »
    Jesus, Molloy's and Gilroy's insistence on telling everyone how handsome or beautiful a guy is is puke inducing.

It's the fact that they would never dare have the same conversation about one of the female athletes that annoys me.

This is the hallmark of the Liberal. It's not actually about equality. If it were, they would be talking about what a great arse Jessica Ennis has. Their agenda is about upholding political correctness, whatever that is, and expressing very safe opinions on positively polarised topics in a forceful manner. That creates the illusion of an opinionated and strong broadcaster when what we are seeing is nothing of the sort. Gilroy's shameful and disrespectful treatment of Lance Armstrong is a case in point. The man used PEDs. He didn't blow up children, yet they will censor Kenny Cunningham for equally forceful views on that. I took this show off my podcast subscriptions months ago and dip in only occasionally for paper review etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jayesdiem wrote:
    Gilroy's shameful and disrespectful treatment of Lance Armstrong is a case in point.

Ah come on now.
    This is ridiculous on a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He said anyone who leaves the UK to fight for isis should not be allowed back into the uk.

Joe and co disagreed and would rather welcome them back for fear of seeming right winged.

But surely to god the vast majority of people would feel the same way. It's an entirely logical viewpoint to have.

I also find their narrow minded black and white view of political leanings to be hilarious.

Right Wing = Bad.

Left Wing = Good.

I used to think like that when I was about 17.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

But surely to god the vast majority of people would feel the same way. It's an entirely logical viewpoint to have.

I also find their narrow minded black and white view of political leanings to be hilarious.

Right Wing = Bad.

Left Wing = Good.

Well, me and my Che Guevarra tshirt think you know nothin', man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Right Wing = Bad.
    Left Wing = Good.

Hah, the funniest thing is that Father Ted was actually right. "Isn't it funny the way you get more right wing as you get older". :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ger: "Joe was talking backstage about how handsome you were"
    Michael Ballack: "I hope that 'Jo' is a woman?"

I can see those comments being left on the cutting room floor beside Kenny's remarks from Tuesday.

OTB the one place where they are always commenting on the good looks of certain male guests but they would have a conniption if someone said a female was attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Lawro was p!ssed at the show last night, kept making jokes about Ronnie being an alcoholic. Was fairly cringy at times.
    He also asked Ballack if he practiced by kicked a ball against the Wall growing up

OTB the one place where they are always commenting on the good looks of certain male guests but they would have a conniption if someone said a female was attractive.

And it would have actually been relevant in the discussion about Maria Sharapova. I think she definitely get's a better deal because she's attractive, but OTB could never say something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

It's the fact that they would never dare have the same conversation about one of the female athletes that annoys me.

Spot on.
    I used to listen to the show for as much of my evenings as I could, but I'm only listening now for maybe an hour in total in the whole week. I like the review of weekend sport on the Monday, and prefer joe in the hot seat considering his flaws. He's the best of a bad lot.

I've realised I've slowly stopped listening because the personalities have ground my enthusiasm down to dust.
    I can't listen to anything hosted by Ger anymore, I can't sum him up in one word without getting banned here but the smugness is overwhelming. I find roadshows are a bit cringeworthy with him on board.
    Nathan and dave McIntyre are on a high horse all of the time, and kilbane is just so so boring. ****in bores me to death.
    Richie I do have time for, seems pretty laid back.

Normally the response to this kind of post is advising not to listen, but that's exactly what I'm doing and it's a pity because I used to like the show.

The only saving grace at times is dan McDonnell being there to shoot the breeze with in the football hour, I could listen to him a lot.
    But Ger gilroy+graham hunter=20 minutes of muck, with Gers never ending questions being answered by graham hunter doing some serious name dropping and passing it off as deep thinking football analysis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah I like Dan too

• Advertisement

Kimmage on the paper review today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭applehunter

jam83 wrote: »
    Spot on.
    The only saving grace at times is dan McDonnell being there to shoot the breeze with in the football hour, I could listen to him a lot.

https://twitter.com/loiweekly?lang=en

Best thing on LOI in Irish media at the moment. Dan McDonell & Johnny Ward present the show.

They are picking up the slack that RTE & newstalk are leaving. Would recommend.

Newstalk have a LOI podcast hosted by Oisin Langan that I only found by browsing their podcasts. Never heard it mentioned on the radio, which is odd because about 20% of Newstalk's sport coverage is actually just telling us about other sports programmes on Newstalk.

Good Lord.

Paul Kimmage gave poor aul Joe a bit of a hard time on the paper review today!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Good Lord.

Paul Kimmage gave poor aul Joe a bit of a hard time on the paper review today!

Was it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Not sure if this will be everyone's point of view but I thought kimmage tried to rail road the view that the guy he'd wrote an article about the previous week was media shy. Fair play to Kieran Shannon and to a lesser extent Joe for saying "well he's not that media shy" and providing evidence. Kimmage is a bit of a bully and usually doesn't get challenged for some of the dubious stuff he spouts by journalists either in fear or in awe of him. This was different.

The discussion was around GAA to a fair extent and Kimmage was largely out of his depth. Again in my opinion.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Fair play to Kieran Shannon and to a lesser extent Joe for saying "well he's not that media shy" and providing evidence.

I wouldnt' say that Kimmage is a bully, however he will air strong opinions so it's important that there is somebody to challenge him. Joe normally infuriates me as he is painfully politically correct, and a bit fawning (like the way Tubridy is). But with Kimmage, Joe challenges him all the time. He's great with Kimmage, and I just wish he was like this the whole time, with a bit of back bone.

The bit at the end when he said it would be funny if Aidan O'Shea won the all ireland and ran up to the camera and said "Fergus Connolly, this one is for you", just to wind up Kimmage... that was great... I just wish we could see more of this from Joe, instead of the "I don't see why Neil Francis needs to use the word feminine" type of crap that he normally gives us.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think Kimmage likes being challenged though. Joe wouldn't do it if there was a fear Kimmage wouldn't do the paper review again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wouldnt' say that Kimmage is a bully, however he will air strong opinions so it's important that there is somebody to challenge him. Joe normally infuriates me as he is painfully politically correct, and a bit fawning (like the way Tubridy is). But with Kimmage, Joe challenges him all the time. He's great with Kimmage, and I just wish he was like this the whole time, with a bit of back bone.

The bit at the end when he said it would be funny if Aidan O'Shea won the all ireland and ran up to the camera and said "Fergus Connolly, this one is for you", just to wind up Kimmage... that was great... I just wish we could see more of this from Joe, instead of the "I don't see why Neil Francis needs to use the word feminine" type of crap that he normally gives us.

Id love if that happened.I only read a small bit of the article and excerpts from it by god did Fergus Connolly come across as a desperate bo****ks from the bits I did read.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Id love if that happened.I only read a small bit of the article and excerpts from it by god did Fergus Connolly come across as a desperate bo****ks from the bits I did read.

I commented on that kimmage article last week on the independent website, underneath the article, and both comments were a bit critical of it, one was removed after about an hour and the other was pending and then disappeared.
    My issue was just that kimmage, for as good as he thinks he is, didn't even find out or print what fergus Connolly actually does,aside from name dropping and that hardman crap about scotstown.

Can they not allow a bit of balanced opinion or is kimmage very precious? The only comment they printed was a positive one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Today's paper review made up for the poor showings in the last few weeks. Good contributions from Kimmage & Shannon and interesting discussions with Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

jam83 wrote: »

I commented on that kimmage article last week on the independent website, underneath the article, and both comments were a bit critical of it, one was removed after about an hour and the other was pending and then disappeared.
    My issue was just that kimmage, for as good as he thinks he is, didn't even find out or print what fergus Connolly actually does,aside from name dropping and that hardman crap about scotstown.

Can they not allow a bit of balanced opinion or is kimmage very precious? The only comment they printed was a positive one.

Connolly was on a sports performance podcast last week too and even after talking for an hour, mostly criticising things, it still wasn't clear what he does.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I didn't enjoy it this week but that's cause there was just too much GAA and that doesn't interest me. Thought it strange that kimmage brought up his article from the previous week too. 3/10 for me, should have skipped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Anyone find Murphy a bit whingy? Thought his stance on non-Irish based players not been selected missed the point entirely of trying to strengthening Irish rugby provincially and nationally?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Quintis wrote:
    Anyone find Murphy a bit whingy? Thought his stance on non-Irish based players not been selected missed the point entirely of trying to strengthening Irish rugby provincially and nationally?

Think you can understand his viewpoint though given that if the same stance was taken when he was playing, he'd have missed out on test rugby.

Also, the argument of strengthening Irish rugby should be remembered when overseas players are being signed to the provinces which can mean a local player loses out.

Funny moment there with Gilroy and Martin O'Neill.

Ger starts off on one of his 15 minute, meandering, self indulgent questions. When he's finished Martin O'Neill says

Martin: "I'm sorry, I'm don't understand what your asking?"

Ger(truncating the question): "Do you think the TV coverage is overly negative?"

Martin: "Why didn't you just ask me that in the first place, the other question was about fifteen minutes long?"
    :p

Ger starts off on one of his 15 minute, meandering, self indulgent questions. When he's finished Martin O'Neill says

Ger(truncating the question): "Do you think the TV coverage is overly negative?"

Martin: "Why didn't you just ask me that in the first place, the other question was about fifteen minutes long?"

Ha, really? Must listen back to that, that's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

does anyone know if OTB will at any point acknowledge one of the worlds great sporting events which is happening just off our shores this week and includes the participation of many Irish sportspeople ? Or are they too busy asking Kimmage back AGAIN to accuse everyone of being drugs cheats?

The fact motorsport of any sort is totally ignored on this program is starting to really get to me. Are the producers of this show blind to the fact Irish people are taking part in this and that its a large piece of Irish sporting culture ?

(we even happen to be good in some aspects )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

It was like a school teacher scolding a student :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

What the hell was Gilroy doing there? Kilbane is trusted with big interviews by the BBC on football focus. Let Kilbane do the interview and stay out of it Ger. I might be imagining it but i felt Kilbane felt uncomfortable/pissed off during the interview.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement