Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

This should help settle the nerves of any worried Novices....:D

I was running home from work last week and couldn't help but stop and take this picture in Kilmainham......don't be put off by the hill in the background as it is more of a 'speed bump' than a hill, trust me Kilmainham is easy peasy ;)

Best of luck Novices, you will be amongst the best prepared people in the race as you have put the training in for this, just go and enjoy the day and you will smash it out of the ball park.....as Nop said 'PMA' folks.

I should there in support around the Submarine Bar or KCR on Sunday, so a sincere best of luck to all of you, have a great day out!

Smashiner.

P.S. Great thread Nop et al, I love this thread so much that I am changing my Boards name to 'Crashiner' and signing up for the Novice thread for 2017.....but shhh don't tell anyone:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Right, goals for me.

A ~ 4:05
    B ~ 4:25
    C ~ 4:35 - this is assuming A and B have gone to pot, soak it up and enjoy the craic, treat it like a LSR
    D Know kung fu

matrix-kungfu.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1338752117577

Hahaha! Woke the woman beside me on the train laughing!!!

Epic post Nop. Novice mantra for the day Lets Go Bring It Home!

Thanks - you are a superstar!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

We have definitely been prepared well on this forum....thank you so much Nop, Firedance, and all others, including all fellow novices, who have contributed to this being an amazing journey. My PMA starts now :) .....if I could stop all my body parts aching :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done Nop great post I'm actually nervous and excited reading it. Novices penneys are doing two pairs of gloves for 1.50 ideal throw away stuff for the start and will Keep you nice and warm.Stocked up on a cheap fleece and track suit bottoms with zips in penneys too which I'll leave at the start line for the charity collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Just wanna get my 'good luck' in before you are all too nervous to read this thread later in the week. Yous are all so well prepared and you'll fly it. Ill be in on Sunday, keeping an eye on you all - not sure where yet but I'll be sure to look out for everyone in the numbers table.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

HHN1 is 3, 4, 2, iirc. :p

Have started making a list. My motivation for the week is to watch the Bourne trilogy and Padraig Harrington's recent win in Portugal. :)

What's a mile amongst friends! :) Thanks, fixed.

Good plan for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithmc

Hi all,

Hope the tapering went well and everyone is set to go. I'm in for my rubdown in the morning after a gentle 5km and then thinking maybe 4.5miles on Thursday. Have been an emotional wreck the last 10 days or so....missing the 3/4 has really knocked my confidence but I'm going regardless....finishing while enjoying it is now the focus. If i don't come down in a heap maybe I'll think about next year and finishing times.

Wondering if anyone could advise on parking. Plans have been scuppered so we'll be travelling in from Navan Co. Meath on the Sunday morning. Just trying to figure where's good to park that's close by but not too far for the walk back!!!!! Is anyone going from that direction and have you any advice please?

I'm also going in wave 4 so is being there for 8.30 - 8.45ish the right time??? Just conscious of waiting around for an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If anybody has been at the marathon before I have a question about pre-race!

I'm in wave 3 which according to the map will gather on Herbert place, then filter onto lower Baggot street and then to the start line. But before that I'm going to call into a friends beside the Burlington hotel on Sunday morning and use that as a base for toilets and such.

If I was to leave my friends house at 9am can I cross over the canal onto Baggot street and join the wave, or will there be barriers and I have to go all the way around to Merrion square to join the back of the wave? Hopefully this map illustrates things...

UWHvV1a.png

I might wander over earlier to soak up the atmosphere, but if its lashing down I might stay inside as long as I can so it would be good to know how long it will take me to get over there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

faithmc wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope the tapering went well and everyone is set to go. I'm in for my rubdown in the morning after a gentle 5km and then thinking maybe 4.5miles on Thursday. Have been an emotional wreck the last 10 days or so....missing the 3/4 has really knocked my confidence but I'm going regardless....finishing while enjoying it is now the focus. If i don't come down in a heap maybe I'll think about next year and finishing times.

Wondering if anyone could advise on parking. Plans have been scuppered so we'll be travelling in from Navan Co. Meath on the Sunday morning. Just trying to figure where's good to park that's close by but not too far for the walk back!!!!! Is anyone going from that direction and have you any advice please?

I'm also going in wave 4 so is being there for 8.30 - 8.45ish the right time??? Just conscious of waiting around for an hour?

I was also wondering about parking and what time to be there. I'm staying with the in laws out in Clontarf so I'll get a taxi in. What time would I want to be leaving at to be in for Wave 3 at 9:20? I was going to leave at 8am. Where then would my fiancée park when she comes in around 10am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

Last weekly update:

Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 3 miles
    Wednesday: 4 miles
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 8 miles
    Sunday: rest

The reduction in mileage seems to be having the desired effect as my feet weren't really sore at all after Saturday's 8 miler.
    I'm enjoying the taper as much as possible. Eating very clean the last 10 days and trying to get at least 8 hrs sleep every night. I need all the marginal gains I can get.

I did have a bad start to the day when I pulled a muscle in my neck while doing one of my plantar stretches this morning. Went into work then and got my finger caught in a door. Hopefully that's all my mishaps out of the way for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If anybody has been at the marathon before I have a question about pre-race!

I'm in wave 3 which according to the map will gather on Herbert place, then filter onto lower Baggot street and then to the start line. But before that I'm going to call into a friends beside the Burlington hotel on Sunday morning and use that as a base for toilets and such.

If I was to leave my friends house at 9am can I cross over the canal onto Baggot street and join the wave, or will there be barriers and I have to go all the way around to Merrion square to join the back of the wave? Hopefully this map illustrates things...

UWHvV1a.png

I might wander over earlier to soak up the atmosphere, but if its lashing down I might stay inside as long as I can so it would be good to know how long it will take me to get over there. :)

You have to go to Merrion square. that's the only way into the pens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Don't worry about things you cannot control folks.
    I woke up with the vomiting bug this morning and feel like I'm 90 years old but have faith it will be ok for Sunday.
    No run till Weds earliest but such is life.

If sh*t happens on the day just go with it and you will know yourself the options you have and how to manage things. Don't stress about what others think or say.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithmc

Oh dear All or Nothing...fingers crossed it's just a bad Monday!!!

My last week was similar enough.
    Mon: Rest
    Tues: 4.5
    Weds: Rest
    Thurs: 3.75
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: 7

I ran the 7 yesterday at race pace which is slower than my usual pace and i found it weird...really weird. Often ran ahead of pace but I've never run with a pacer and do all my long runs on my own as I work every Saturday when my running mates run so find it hard to run consciously at a consistent slower pace. I know i'll really have to fight the urge to break away from the pacer on Sunday!!!

My planner for the week advised 3 miles tomorrow. 4.5 Thursday and 3 Friday but I'm thinking of skipping Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

nop98 wrote: »
    Hey ESV - couple of things come to mind.

i.e. stick to the plan :D

Will do, thank you for all of the advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Feckin' noise of boy racers around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RayCun wrote: »
    You have to go to Merrion square. that's the only way into the pens

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Top Top post Nop.. Well done! The end of/start of week long posts from you have been worth waiting for and reading every week. Thanks so much.. some good info in there:D

But.. we are the minority that have planned and trained well for this event so should know it already..:p:D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

UM1 wrote: »
    Boards heads and non boards heads(NB) doin pacin this year ,Do come over and say" hello",Dont say "are we goin too fast".. :)
    3hrs. Frank Q.marty ,cannine runner
    3:10 .dublin runner,Paul,some dude from la galaxie..
    3:20 beepbeep ,GChris
    3:30 NBCharlotte,NbRolando, fboto1
    3:40. PauliC , yaboya,snailsong
    3:50. NB Olie, Ankers , NBRex Brillantes
    4:00.. Gary "red shorts" Reinhardt,martastew,Mr stew
    4:10.. meno,bostondave,NBPeter
    4:20.. Jbski1. RayLanigan , Davedanon
    4:30. UM1,NB,pascal ,NB,Alison
    4:40 NB andrew, hoganstand,charliechapman
    4:50. Cassin40,Paceymule,NB Ann
    5:00. NB anne,,ultrarunner,QunniP

One of these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQ5D2byR3Y

Fair play to everyone doing it. Not easy giving up your own DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done nop, a fine post to get the blood flowing nicely at the start of the week.

You mentioned the 10/10/10 approach to the race - it's an excellent strategy, for any race of 10k or longer in my opinion, but especially the marathon, where (as has been mentioned many times here, this year and all years) you tend to pay with a penal rate of interest for starting too fast.

The approach breaks the distance down into more manageable parts, and is all about (1) starting solidly but within yourself for the first 10m, (2) pushing on solidly for the second 10 miles, and (3) getting to the 20 mile mark in good enough shape to finish strongly through the last 10k. It sounds easy enough, but it's probably not possible to get to stage 3 in the right shape if you've overcooked 1 or 2.

So easy does it through the Park and out to Chapelizod; that's the time to get out the cattle prod (as DG put it) and push through the deep South, arriving at Milltown with enough left to tackle the Clonskeagh/Roebuck drag and then keep it going down to Montrose and in to the finish.

When you start to flag, feed off the crowds. They'll keep you going more than you know.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Super post nop, that race really gets the blood flowing, incredible stuff!!

Came across this earlier, might be of benefit to anyone, not just those with ITBS issues.

https://youtu.be/pJHbhMNBjxI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Novices! You've all done a great job making it this far, and I'm sure you'll all have an very painful but ultimately satisfying day on Sunday. I have two pieces of very important advice to add to the ever growing list of things to remember on the day (it's actually more a marathon of remembering things to do than a running marathon).

1. Drop out now!!! That way you'll be able to tag along to next year's novices thread! :D

2. For the first time ever, the Dublin Marathon has actually been extended in distance. Scurrilously, there'll be a fake finish line setup to look just like an actual marathon finish line, full of people pretending to have just finished a marathon in some sort of weird Truman-show kind of way. The real map of the finishing line looks like this:

399981.png

As you can see from the expertly drawn map, you need to continue past the so-called "Finish", and continue running past the area where you'll be offered medals, t-shirts etc. - don't bother stopping, it's all part of the cunning mindgames that have inexplicably been added as part of DCM 2016. Don't forget to get a few strides in before the bag collection area and jog on the spot as you wait for your bag to be collected! From there you accelerate up to 5k pace around Merrion Square and up a dingy looking laneway, ending up just outside the real finishing line which looks like this:

img89.jpg

Best of luck, and hopefully see you at the REAL finish line :cool: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

One of these guyd.
    The good lookin one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Singer wrote: »
    Novices! You've all done a great job making it this far, and I'm sure you'll all have an very painful but ultimately satisfying day on Sunday. I have two pieces of very important advice to add to the ever growing list of things to remember on the day (it's actually more a marathon of remembering things to do than a running marathon).

1. Drop out now!!! That way you'll be able to tag along to next year's novices thread! :D

2. For the first time ever, the Dublin Marathon has actually been extended in distance. Scurrilously, there'll be a fake finish line setup to look just like an actual marathon finish line, full of people pretending to have just finished a marathon in some sort of weird Truman-show kind of way. The real map of the finishing line looks like this:

399981.png

As you can see from the expertly drawn map, you need to continue past the so-called "Finish", and continue running past the area where you'll be offered medals, t-shirts etc. - don't bother stopping, it's all part of the cunning mindgames that have inexplicably been added as part of DCM 2016. Don't forget to get a few strides in before the bag collection area and jog on the spot as you wait for your bag to be collected! From there you accelerate up to 5k pace around Merrion Square and up a dingy looking laneway, ending up just outside the real finishing line which looks like this:

img89.jpg

Best of luck, and hopefully see you at the REAL finish line :cool: :pac:

Ha ha, brilliant Singer, you've even outdone your version from last year. :)

Thanks for all the thanks, everyone - but save your energy... Having all successful debuts on Sunday is all the thanks we want..!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Toenail Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I never buy anything from gift shops but I fully expect this will be me when I see DCM merchandise at the expo:

23wwuv5.jpg

It'll be payday too! I'm going to look like an employee!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

jameshayes wrote: »
    I never buy anything from gift shops but I fully expect this will be me when I see DCM merchandise at the expo:

23wwuv5.jpg

It'll be payday too! I'm going to look like an employee!

Have you seen the official DCM 2016 jackets on their FB page?
    I only bought a new running jacket, and €55 is a bit expensive...
    Still buying one tho! :cool:

Can't believe that its this Sunday. I didn't do enough LSR training. Nothing I can do about it now. My objective is to finish. Five hours seems reasonable, roughly 7 minutes per km. I hope my legs don't completely give up on me after 30km. This is gonna be very tough but I will dig deep.

I am beyond useless at work today! OMG i could have put my dog in my place today and he would have gotten more done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

ToriV wrote: »
    I am beyond useless at work today! OMG i could have put my dog in my place today and he would have gotten more done!

Productivity very low my side too, I think I am addicted to this thread , refreshing it every minute or two for an update desperately hoping to read more positive news and encouragement.

A DCM marathon novices thread junkie has been born !

Advertisement