Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Codenames World Cup Feb 2018

Options
  • 22-02-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭

I was throwing an idea around about having some additional games with set teams, within a tournament structure, here on boards, in addition to the current games we have.

It would be standard double elimination tournament structure (so each team would get at least 2 shots to progress), based on 8 teams (we can increase or decrease this as needed), based on 2 people per team (1 cap, 1 guesser).

The 2 players in each team can take turns to captain and guess, or not - its up to each team who captains each of their games.

The structure and an idea of how it would work is below.

442460.JPG

There is no need to hold the games in each phase one after the other. Like in the above chart, games 1 to 4 can be played in any order and any (reasonable) speed, and this can be sorted between the players in each game.

Its only after a team moves forward to the next round that we would need to set 'play your game by X date' dates.

The 4 players in each match can arrange when to play their games, to suit all 4 players.

If you sign up and indicate your preference for being a captain or not, i will assign you to a team.

Ill announce the teams and first round of games once we have enough players. 8 is the minimum. 16 would be preferred. We can roll with anything in between however.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

For anyone new who happens across this thread, please feel free to sign up!

Some info on the game can be found in the below thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057841052

We have 8 players signed up. Ill leave it until tomorrow and we can do 4 teams for the first tournament if we dont get more sign ups by then.

More are very much welcome however!

Bump last chance to enter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

If it's knock out format, will there be premils if there are 5,6,7..ect. teams, I'm guessing a round robin format would take too long?

Its double elimination, so even if a team is beaten in the first game, they get another chance to progress in another branch of the tournament.

Not so much prelims, but yeah same principle of keeping people playing beyond their first game.

• Advertisement

FYI, looking like it will be wc 5th march that we pick the teams and do the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've only played the once and it got assassin-ed pretty quick, so I don't really have much of a handle on how to play, but if you need a name to pad out the list for the first round, feel free to stick me in there to make up the numbers. And apologies to whichever poor sap pulls me on their team :D

Banjo wrote: »
    I've only played the once and it got assassin-ed pretty quick, so I don't really have much of a handle on how to play, but if you need a name to pad out the list for the first round, feel free to stick me in there to make up the numbers. And apologies to whichever poor sap pulls me on their team :D

You are very welcome B. Throw up your details into this form;

https://goo.gl/forms/UKNhs0S9wSj2qRNj1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Pete you are the master of organisation. Kudos for taking this on. Really looking forward to it.
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Pete you are the master of organisation. Kudos for taking this on. Really looking forward to it.
    giphy.gif

Oh no. Expectations.

Shouldn't that be " expectations, unlimited"?

(Am I getting the hang of this yet?)

We are up to 12 players, so 6 teams!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

When do we start?

Guffy wrote: »
    When do we start?

After the WW game ends.

Ok ill do the world cup draw later today. We can schedule the first round of games for this week. The players in each game can arrange them for any time and date that suits them. So we could be up and running in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Sweet. So poor me and Conor have to play against the mighty team of Sully and QB. ****.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wait... what? I don't see the teams :(

I thought that was an example?

Edit: Not that I mind playing with Kolido of course!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Necrominus wrote: »
    Wait... what? I don't see the teams :(

I thought that was an example?

Edit: Not that I mind playing with Kolido of course!!!! :pac:

I like you Necro, but not in that way :D

Whoops extra player on board.

BRB!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pter wrote: »
    Whoops extra player on board.

BRB!

I confused.

I had it set up for 6 teams, but more players signed up while i was writing the post. Seems a shame to exclude them. Bear with me 1 minute and ill post everything!

Ladies & Gents, welcome to the first boards.ie Codenames World Cup Tournament.

Your teams are:

Team Hell No

Beaker
    Necro

Team Test
    SK
    Duffman

Team Brain

Kitten K
    Conor222

Team Kosh
    Kolido
    Osh

Team Young

Digital Solitude
    Molly

Team Free
    Banjo
    Guffy

Team Cage
    Pter
    PJ

If you want to change the teamnames, you have until 5pm this evening, after which ill be busy and will thereafter lose the ability to edit this post.

The tournament structure will be as below.

444781.JPG

But to break it down so its a little easier to follow, here are the games

Game| Team 1| v| Team 2|
    Round 1
    1| Team Kosh| v| Team Young|
    2| Team Test| v| Team Cage|
    3| Team Brain| v| Team Free|
    4| Loser Game 2| v| Loser Game 3|
    Round 2| | | |
    5| Team Hell No| v| Winner Game 1|
    6| Winner Game 2| v| Winner Game 3|
    Round 3| | | |
    7| Loser Game 6| v|Loser Game 1|
    8| Loser Game 5| v| Winner Game 4|
    Round 4| | | |
    9| Winner Game 7| v |Winner Game 8|
    10| Winner Game 5| v| Winner Game 6|
    Round 5| | | |
    11| Loser Game 10| v| Winner Game 9|
    FINALS | | | |
    Third Place Playoff| Loser Game 11| v |Loser Game 10|
    GRAND FINAL| Winner Game 10| v| Winner Game 11|

The members of Teams Cook and Young, for example, are free to arrange their match for any time this week.

Please title the matches as below

'Codenames World Cup GAME X - Team Cook v Team Young' where x is the game number in the above table.

PLEASE NOTE i want to complete all games in each round, before we move onto the next round.

If you are unsure of whether you should setup a thread or not, ask me here or via PM.

If there are any disputes, i am happy to act as arbiter, but as per our usual games, teams can sort out rule interpretations between themselves.

Any questions?

Pter wrote: »

Team Wheat

Beaker
    Necro

Oh sh1te - can Henry and Derry put differences aside for a crack at the championship?

This is like a storyline in WWE.

hellno.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Good stuff Pter

So presumably we do the usual - choose a captain for the game, one of the captains sets up the game and then offers the opposing team which colour they want?

osh wrote: »
    Good stuff Pter

So presumably we do the usual - choose a captain for the game, one of the captains sets up the game and then offers the opposing team which colour they want?

Correct. Dont think any of the usual rules need change. Only thing that changes is we have a game schedule.

So please everyone fire away organising games.

PJ, SK, Duffman, you guys available today for our game?

@Guffy
    I barely know how to play, I definitely don't know how to captain. Do you?
    Also, happy with the team name?

@Team Brain
    We will crush you! Team Awesome Deluxe are gonna wordalize your craniums till you got nothin' in your heads but a greyish pink pot noodle! Grrraaaaaarrr! Bring it, you nerd bitches!

Teams were picked to make sure there was at least 1 person on each team willing to captain.

• Advertisement

Game 2 is setup, if anyone wants to check out suggested format.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057848059

Advertisement