Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

compsys wrote: »
    June was officially the warmest month ever globally.

The highest temps EVER have been recorded in Alaska and France where over 45 degrees was reached.

Berlin has been sweltering. The highest June temp ever was recorded in Germany.

Records were broken in Switzerland.

I could go on and on.

Even in places where records weren't broken, temps have generally been above average for June and July.

Ireland is a huge outlier here. EVERY station in the country was cooler than average in June here. July will be about average at best I'd say.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/19/us/june-2019-hottest-on-record/index.html
    https://lenews.ch/2019/06/26/heat-records-broken-at-nearly-30-locations-in-switzerland/
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/04/us/alaska-record-heat-trnd-wxc/index.html
    https://www.businessinsider.com/europe-heatwave-france-germany-spain-dangerous-temperature-2019-6?r=US&IR=T
    https://thepublicsradio.org/article/germany-hits-record-june-heat-rest-of-europe-sizzles

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2019/07/10/ice-box-july-unusual-cold-surface-frost-sweep-across-central-europe/

Funny the stuff that doesn't get mentioned/hyped in the media

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

lawred2 wrote: »
    Nowt on a mobile device

Ahhh, Loughlinstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭compsys

Danno wrote: »
    This is totally incorrect. France has recorded 118F (47.7c) in the past.

2019-06-29153852-346x1024.png

Well I’d take a modern day record according to IMO standards over some heresay from 300 or so years ago.

Have you any more factual data to suggest France got to over 47 degrees before? Any more facts, figures and scientific publications to back this up?

How do we know this “record” wasn’t recorded in direct sunlight beside a furnace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

25.3c in North kildare now with humidity at 79%. The strong breeze is stopping it from feeling too warm. Very pleasant, actually. Time to sunbathe!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

highdef wrote: »
    The strong breeze is stopping it from feeling too warm. Very pleasant, actually. Time to sunbathe!

Yip. For once the breeze is lovely....feels very pleasant.

25.7c now in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

compsys wrote: »
    Well I’d take a modern day record according to IMO standards over some heresay from 300 or so years ago.

Have you any more factual data to suggest France got to over 47 degrees before? Any more facts, figures and scientific publications to back this up?

How do we know this “record” wasn’t recorded in direct sunlight beside a furnace?

Give me a break.

Look where the new French 'record' was recorded in 2019..

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/06/29/frances-new-hottest-recorded-temperature-ever-is-in-question-guess-where-it-was-measured/

Also it hit 50C in France in 1930. Temperature records are very reliable post 1850 onwards. Like our hottest ever temp of 33.3C from 1887.

I'm not saying Climate Change isn't real but there is an agenda and media hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Supercell wrote: »
    Second highest temperature in the 7 years I've recorded here at 27.7C. Highest was 29.1 last year.

In a back garden though presumably albeit with a Davis in your case ?
    Back gardens will always be warmer than the ambient exposed air temp for essentially a more extreme version of why clones and kilkenny met Éireann stations were closed
    Even with a fan assisted Davis,unless theres a free flow of air from outside the garden,the fan is essentially only moving the same air within the enclosed garden
    Phoenix park is a better measure of the capitals temp but even it is surrounded by an urban heat island albeit being the accurate temp (imho) for the city because it has a good airflow
    It was reading 24 at 1pm so very likely to get to 27 or 28 by 3 or 4pm if the sun stays
    Cloudy mostly in Arklow and 22.5c
    Wind gusting a warm Scirrocco to 50kmh SW :eek:

Edited to add Phoenix park 25c at 2pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Warmest spot today will be somewhere like Dalkey

Should be some fohn effect there and for much of SE Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Mortelaro wrote: »
    In a back garden though presumably albeit with a Davis in your case ?
    Back gardens will always be warmer than the ambient exposed air temp for essentially a more extreme version of why clones and kilkenny met Éireann stations were closed
    Even with a fan assisted Davis,unless theres a free flow of air from outside the garden,the fan is essentially only moving the same air within the enclosed garden
    Phoenix park is a better measure of the capitals temp but even it is surrounded by an urban heat island albeit being the accurate temp (imho) for the city because it has a good airflow
    It was reading 24 at 1pm so very likely to get to 27 or 28 by 3 or 4pm if the sun stays
    Cloudy mostly in Arklow and 22.5c
    Wind gusting a warm Scirrocco to 50kmh SW :eek:

Poster said it was the second hottest he/she recorded HERE.. it's an accurate reading for wherever he/she located!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

25c at 1400 in Phoenix Park.

Just hit 26.0c here in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement

Poster said it was the second hottest he/she recorded HERE.. it's an accurate reading for wherever he/she located!

Yes,I added a point of information, an important point of information

Yes,I added a point of information, an important point of information

A point that seems to be added every time someone posts a temp.

The temp for the posters location is surley more useful than the temp in the wilderness miles away? It's not like it's an official reading, it's the posters location.

A point that seems to be added every time someone posts a temp.

The temp for the posters location is surley more useful than the temp in the wilderness miles away? It's not like it's an official reading, it's the posters location.
    Nope..that's the 2nd time Afair,dont be exaggerating!
    Just science ,what section of boards is the weather forum in?
    Imagine if met Éireann put out forecasts for peoples back garden temps instead of the real likely temps
    The world of met would laugh at them

Nope..that's the 2nd time Afair,dont be exaggerating!
    Just science ,what section of boards is the weather forum in?
    Imagine if met Éireann put out forecasts for peoples back garden temps instead of the real likely temps
    The world of met would laugh at them

Ah here. The poster clearly said it was his location, not an ME official reading. What's the point of anyone except ME recording weather if it's all inaccurate? It's accurate for the location it's in.

Maybe the heat is getting to me, we will leave it there 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It's a Davis vantage view in my back garden.
    It is quite windy today here even in the garden, it is over reading but not by much. This direction always delivers here in the summer, I think there is a mini Fohn type effect, humidity is also quite low at 55% considering we are about 2km from the sea here in Loughlinstown. High so far now 28.7C

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How does it feel?

Supercell wrote: »
    It's a Davis vantage view in my back garden.
    It is quite windy today here even in the garden, it is over reading but not by much. This direction always delivers here in the summer, I think there is a mini Fohn type effect, humidity is also quite low at 55% considering we are about 2km from the sea here in Loughlinstown. High so far now 28.7C
    yeah,appreciate that
    The M11 station is almost at loughlinstown and at 140pm it was reading 26.7c
    I compare my own to the Arklow one which is less than a mile away and its usually about a degree warmer mainly probably due to the tarmac

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How does it feel?

Too damn hot for this freckled Irishman!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has been ... hard... out here in the ocean. Loud long strong winds all the night long and barely starting to settle now... deluges drumming...just been out at the back watching a neighbour scything hay.

Need a sleep!

west mayo offshore

yeah,appreciate that
    The M11 station is almost at loughlinstown and at 140pm it was reading 26.7c
    I compare my own to the Arklow one which is less than a mile away and its usually about a degree warmer mainly probably due to the tarmac
    I'm honestly looking forward to the SE wind tomorrow which should knock temps here back to more normal levels, hopefully doest take the sun as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭acequion

I've just come back from hot climes so am really appreciating the heat. If we can't have sun in Ireland, let's at least have heat imo. Very overcast here in Tralee.

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

Highest temp on those is the Bray bypass located near loughlinstown hospital
    Much the same as an hour ago at 26.5c
    Arklow by pass is 23.5c,my own less than a km away in an open field a degree colder for the same time

For reference driving through Arklow town,the car was tipping 27c at times so in amidst the concrete there and using the temp difference between the car and my Davis as a guide,I reckon it might be about 25.5 or so in main st Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The wind is very welcome in Dublin city when it comes. When it doesn't it's hot and humid. Uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Went to 26.6C in the wilds of inland north Dublin at 3pm, now down to fluctuating between 26.1 and 26.3. Wind is quite strong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

That breeze is crazy!

As someone who wouldn't find 24/25 degrees unbearable anyway it's taking a real shine off, I say with the risk of those sweating a storm up once it went past 20 coming after me!

Humidity back to 50-60% in Dublin which is nothing too crazy either.

I remember a few years ago the hottest temperature of 26 degrees was recorded in Athy (unofficially as not a ME as far as I'm aware) and there was a bloody gale that day! Easter fine spell this year too I found noticeably breezy. Sun and a strong breeze make quite the summer couple in Ireland.

Phoenix Park reporting 27c at 4pm.

25.8c atm in Dublin 16. Reached 26.9c earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

27 degrees at Phoenix park at 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

24 at the airport. That's some gradient.

I am pretty close to Phoenix park and it’s very warm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

26.5c at Phoenix Park to be exact.

Still not too warm to me but I’m liking it anyway. More sun be nice though I did let myself get cremated :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

John.Icy wrote: »

It really is, the stations are only 7.3 km apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Considering what was forecast it’s disappointing in my humble opinion. It’s breezy it’s cloudy it’s warm but certainly not roasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭compsys

Rougies wrote: »
    It really is, the stations are only 7.3 km apart.

That's nothing compared to what can happen on cool, clear nights in particular.

I've seen times when Dublin Airport has been 7 degrees colder than PP or Casement at a given hour.

Seemingly the station was moved a few years ago to a far cooler (but maybe more representative) location.

I'd imagine PP suffers from a very slight UHI effect too.

Considering what was forecast it’s disappointing in my humble opinion. It’s breezy it’s cloudy it’s warm but certainly not roasting.

What forrecast we're you reading?

It's 25c here near Mitchelstown with plenty cloud and breeze. Exactly what was forcasted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Like a hairdryer in West Clare, lovely, somewhat sunny (nice period of 30mins sun ongoing now) 24.2c now, beautiful. Very humid though. Dewpoint of 19°c!

My expectation for today was low cloudy and mist, so they were well beaten!

• Advertisement

I love this type of day, for me around 27 degrees is ideal. I find over 30 degrees starts to feel unpleasant.

I was in New York recently and every day was between 32-35 degrees and it felt brutally hot. Mind you big humidity over there too. What really struck me about New York was walking back after an evening out and it was still about 28-30 degrees at midnight! New York hit 38 over the weekend with a real feel of 44. Horrific !

John.Icy wrote: »

The airport is more or less rural
    Phoenix park though a huge park is enclosed by an urban heat island
    So not that unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Air conditioning was a Godsend today. It was actually too cold but no one wanted to touch the thermometer.

For the first time I didn't want to leave work. 😜

At least the train has air conditioning as well. Home not so much.

Is 27 degrees the warmest day of the year in Dublin so far? I think there were a good few days in the mid 20s towards the end of June.

Beautiful day today but still a good bit off that warmest day last year during heatwave, I think 31 was reached in Phoenix park last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

reached 26C in Dunshaughlin today, easily the warmest day of the year so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I love this type of day, for me around 27 degrees is ideal. I find over 30 degrees starts to feel unpleasant.

I was in New York recently and every day was between 32-35 degrees and it felt brutally hot. Mind you big humidity over there too. What really struck me about New York was walking back after an evening out and it was still about 28-30 degrees at midnight! New York hit 38 over the weekend with a real feel of 44. Horrific !

I've always loved warm humid nights, love lying outside at night with total silence when it's still nice and warm

Dark and grey most of the day in Letterkenny but some brief sunny spells now and feeling warm enough. Very windy though so taking a big edge off the temperature

Forecast was suggesting drizzle might linger all day though so can't complain I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another contender for world's worst heatwave! ;)

What forrecast we're you reading?

It's 25c here near Mitchelstown with plenty cloud and breeze. Exactly what was forcasted?

Scorcher. Hotter than the costa Del sol. Glorious summer day were 3 phrases I heard much in use yesterday.

27 degrees today, 25 tomorrow and low 20s over the weekend. Don’t see much wrong with it

Scorcher. Hotter than the costa Del sol. Glorious summer day were 3 phrases I heard much in use yesterday.

Ah for heaven's sake,with respect you're around here long enough not to be believing red tops...or quoting them
    There is one forecasting agency in the Rep of Ireland headquartered in Glasnevin
    Theres also Mt Cranium here of course

Let's not include Nathan Rau or whatyamaycallhim james somebody or other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You on the wind up? Who ever said anything about a heatwave in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Met Eireanns definition of a heatwave should be stickied on the front page.

You on the wind up? Who ever said anything about a heatwave in Ireland?

In fairness I think the quote was in jest. The narrative for today on a very general level was for a scorcher of a summers day. It’s been very mild windy and cloudy. All you can do is laugh really.

You didn't hear that on a forecast like you first said though, did you?

You're mate down the shop or pub chatting isn't a forecast..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Overcast all day here in Leitrim. Showery. Very windy as well. At least it was warm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement