Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Oops!

tastyt wrote: »
    Pain in the hole or not it’s the cops job, it’s what they are well paid for.

It’s not good enough when the cops know they are having parties, taking and selling drugs and blatantly disregarding the health restrictions for them just to say “ ah **** it, it’s too much hassle, the courts will only let them off “

Do your job, the general public can’t . Every minute they are below in the cop shop they are less of a risk or danger to the general public, especially the old and vulnerable.

Btw I’m not having a go at any of the posts above, just at the guards

Go down to the cop shop and explain that over the counter and see what response you get....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Oops! wrote: »
    Go down to the cop shop and explain that over the counter and see what response you get....:rolleyes:

That’s the point obviously

Please do report back here with the reply you get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If true the residents/owners need to get together and put a gate on the end of it for a start...

Of course it's true...one of the houses is mine :)

I fully agree. The Stradavoher end is wide enough for cars but the further up the lane you go the narrower it gets and the opposite end is only wide enough for pedestrians.

I had thought about setting up a committee to get it done. Jim Ryan told a neighbour of mine that since the council "maintain" it we can't do anything. However I've been here 3 years and not once have I seen the council anywhere near it. It's full of potholes, has huge weeds and grass growing on the verge under the fence and is covered in crap gravel.

Of course it's true...one of the houses is mine :)

I fully agree. The Stradavoher end is wide enough for cars but the further up the lane you go the narrower it gets and the opposite end is only wide enough for pedestrians.

I had thought about setting up a committee to get it done. Jim Ryan told a neighbour of mine that since the council "maintain" it we can't do anything. However I've been here 3 years and not once have I seen the council anywhere near it. It's full of potholes, has huge weeds and grass growing on the verge under the fence and is covered in crap gravel.

I know the lane your talking about, have been up and down it myself... I wouldn't take much notice of his or others advice on the matter, they will all say that, they don't have to live there... If Jim was living there there would be a gate up.

Same suitation where i live, row of houses with a lane for rear access, gate at the top of it.... Gate is there years, all owners/residents have a key, gate is locked at night... no drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Seen the deli counters removed from Subway in Thurles today. Their Facebook page (there’s an older one that’s inactive) was also removed. Looks like it’s closing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Seen the deli counters removed from Subway in Thurles today. Their Facebook page (there’s an older one that’s inactive) was also removed. Looks like it’s closing down.

It’s closed permanently I can confirm.

It was always much busier than the franchisees other outlet in Nenagh. Rent maybe or franchising fees. It looked like it was Subway themselves removing the catering equipment. Unfortunately a number of businesses that closed due to Covid will never reopen again in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It was always much busier than the franchisees other outlet in Nenagh. Rent maybe or franchising fees. It looked like it was Subway themselves removing the catering equipment. Unfortunately a number of businesses that closed due to Covid will never reopen again in the town.

I fear that is going to happen with a lot that are borderline viable. this is a great time to close, no one will ask questions and you can blame the virus. if you close any other time you cannot sign on and there is a lot less help out there for you

what other businesses are not re opening

Heard talk , just rumours I suppose that

Bowes bar
    Taffys
    Jim Kennedy Parnell st
    De burcas
    Tom dunnes
    Q11
    Liber tea rooms

All not reopening

After hearing of Subway now the town could be in a very bad way over the next few months

• Advertisement

I passed by Subway on my way to work this morning and it seems normal. Couldn't see anything having been removed although maybe what was removed can't be seen from the road anyway.

Feel bad for all the above businesses if they do close especially Bowes as he's getting hit both in the pub and the travel agency.

For the likes of all the businesses on the square, it puts a different perspective on the redevelopment. A while back I heard that Roches were closing too as the next generation of them didn't want it. Someone told me that they were in there today and the place was thronged with customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Subway deli counter and other parts of the interior were on DoneDeal last week, can’t see the ad now.
    Carphone could be another one not opening.

Heard talk , just rumours I suppose that

Bowes bar
    Taffys
    Jim Kennedy Parnell st
    De burcas
    Tom dunnes
    Q11
    Liber tea rooms

All not reopening

After hearing of Subway now the town could be in a very bad way over the next few months

the fact that 6 of those are pubs probably explains why I cant remember ever putting a foot inside any of them

I passed by Subway on my way to work this morning and it seems normal. Couldn't see anything having been removed although maybe what was removed can't be seen from the road anyway.

Feel bad for all the above businesses if they do close especially Bowes as he's getting hit both in the pub and the travel agency.

For the likes of all the businesses on the square, it puts a different perspective on the redevelopment. A while back I heard that Roches were closing too as the next generation of them didn't want it. Someone told me that they were in there today and the place was thronged with customers.

it would be a big loss to the square if frank closed the doors. its the only thing on the square that would make you stop. everything else isn't worth the hassle of parking etc and can be gotten a lot easier and maybe cheaper outside the square.
    I hope Jason takes it over. I see frank taking a more behind the scenes approach with the paint. we desperately need that personal touch that frank brings to the paint. he is great to mix and match and loves the challenge of matching odd stuff

I’d imagine the best thing to do with the square regeneration is target is for places to eat and drink. Make it a nice place to walk around and maybe sit out in this weather

They should definitely bring the farmers market back in too.

The days of anybody doing any serious shopping in the square are mostly over unfortunately

Almost everyone I talk to in Thurles doesn’t remember this, but I do like it was yesterday.

When Dunnes Stores first opened in 1996/7 they had a vending machine outside the entrance selling cans of St Bernard Cola for 20p. At the time Coca Cola was 50p a can from the vending machine in the train station and everyone back then didn’t care about branded products. It was sickeningly sweet cola. Who here remembers it?

Or when Lidl first opened it’s doors on the 5th of June 2002, the majority of their products were own brands from Germany. There was no English writing on most of the products at all.

i remember lidl being a bit of a lottery on what each product was. i remember my mother brining home a few experiments each time and we would have a go to see if it was a buscuit or meat, or what flavour it was. they had some unusual flavores on some stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I drive through thurles every now and then. I find that square to be similar to the driving seem around the Arc de Triomphe. It's a roundabout but you get the idea

I drive through thurles every now and then. I find that square to be similar to the driving seem around the Arc de Triomphe. It's a roundabout but you get the idea

not as bad since the post office left. the double and triple parking is a lot less.

• Advertisement

It's still a free for all.... If your not local you'd find it a bit confusing.

Does anyone know when the works are starting on the square ? I see a lot of markings all over the place .

Also, what exactly is being done? Are they pedestrianising part of it , widening footpaths ?

Almost everyone I talk to in Thurles doesn’t remember this, but I do like it was yesterday.

When Dunnes Stores first opened in 1996/7 they had a vending machine outside the entrance selling cans of St Bernard Cola for 20p. At the time Coca Cola was 50p a can from the vending machine in the train station and everyone back then didn’t care about branded products. It was sickeningly sweet cola. Who here remembers it?

Or when Lidl first opened it’s doors on the 5th of June 2002, the majority of their products were own brands from Germany. There was no English writing on most of the products at all.

I remember the vending machine. It was kind of a novelty at the time.

In my family the square is called the Arc De Thurles or Arc De Tribump :D

Subway- I notice the barrel lock on the door Was drilled by a locksmith. Martin Healy the owner has a planning notice affixed to the window. Her other restaurant in Nenagh still hasn’t opened either.

Martin Healy owns nothing, if you read between the lines you'll see who owns what.

He claims to be the owner to the local authority.
    Presuming you mean Lowry?

I thought Healy was more Labour e.g the Alan Kelly Apple Store (Labour/Kelly supporters claimed he was bringing Apple to the O'Connor site. A Mr. Price opened!)

Anyway the PP application is to extend the opening hours from 08:00 to 00:00 so she's semi-closed down.

In other news, work has started on the old Sweeney's bakery site regarding the Primary Care Centre that'll be leased to the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Martin Healy owns nothing, if you read between the lines you'll see who owns what.

How much of thurles does he own at this stage, the watermill, the munster hotel??? All sitting there nothing happening where as he seems to sort any properities in Nenagh

Wasn't the Watermill supposedly being turned into apartments? God be with the days when it was HQ. Such a great spot!

Mizzoni Pizza opening on Friar Street where shimla was.

That's going to do Apache some damage I'd say!

Ya I’m a fan of Mizzoni anywhere iv had it, another take away though, they all can’t survive. Any word on McDonalds ??

It would be great if we had a nice Italian restaurant in the town where you could go for pasta or pizza

• Advertisement

That's 3 takeaways now on Friar Street - Kebabish, Mizzoni and Apache along with Naomi's Cafe which will be moving to where McKeon's shoe shop used be.

Wasn't there an Italian restaurant in Park Avenue for a while? Went there once as it was abysmal. We were waiting half an hour for our order to be taken and a full hour for our food to come out. Then to add insult to injury it was very expensive for mediocre food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

That one started well and then went rapidly downhill.

There was also an Italian at one stage where Yi Thai is now, also started well but went downhill quickly too...

A good italian would be a great addition..

Jim Ryan has a post on Facebook about subway reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭shmeee

Jim Ryan has a post on Facebook about subway reopening.

So much for it closing. Classic Thurles Town rumours.

Reopening on the 29th June, signage on the door.

Good to see places reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

shmeee wrote: »
    So much for it closing. Classic Thurles Town rumours.

Reopening on the 29th June, signage on the door.

Good to see places reopening.

What happened to all the stuff on done deal?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This is a submission she made to the council regarding extending the opening hours to 12am.

How is it not unviable to reopen now

Edit: One of the employees claims new ownership

How did you get your hands on that?! :D

How did you get your hands on that?! :D

The planning submission?

It’s made public on eplan

http://193.178.30.68/idocswebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=625983&format=jpeg

Subway reopening deferred until the 29th of July now

I hear someone has bought Morris bar down near the castle , anyone hear any more?

Rumour has it it’s reopening as a bar / restaurant

• Advertisement

There was planning permission granted for that building in 2009
    demolition of existing outbuildings, conversion of ground floor public house and residential to retail and extend the retail to the rear all at the ground floor, conversion of the first and second floors from residential to offices including extension of offices to thre rear at first floor, alterations to the shop front and all associated site development works

This has obviously expired now. I’d guess the licence was sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Is there someplace in Thurles I can bring cardboard for recycling? The mother has put me to work clearing out while I'm visiting.

corwill wrote: »
    Is there someplace in Thurles I can bring cardboard for recycling? The mother has put me to work clearing out while I'm visiting.

There’s no recycling centre in Thurles unfortunately. I believe there’s one in Cashel.

There’s no harm finding a secluded spot somewhere and setting it alight, it’s not like it’s plastics.

corwill wrote: »

Ryan's on the mill road will sort you out. Not sure how much it would cost but not a lot I would gueass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Sure feck it, I'll tip down to Cashel, any excuse for a spin out of the house on a soft day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mmm...username

Has it been really difficult to find housing in thurles for a while?
    I recently moved back to Thurles and I'm staying in an overcrowded house while looking for somewhere to rent,it's been 2 months now and either there's nothing around or the estate agents keep telling me to ring back or they'll call me and then the property I wanted to view is gone . Feeling very hopeless about it 😔

Ya the town is badly in new of new housing, tough when planning permissions are constantly challenged

I heard it from the horse's mouth that Taffy will be taking over Bowes pub at some stage soon.

I heard it from the horse's mouth that Taffy will be taking over Bowes pub at some stage soon.

From Taffy himself ? That’s good, it looked from his message on Facebook that he was leaving the town .

Huge potential in Bowes with its location and outside space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

I hear someone has bought Morris bar down near the castle , anyone hear any more?

Rumour has it it’s reopening as a bar / restaurant

The interior of that premises was shipped down to a pub refurb in wexford town so I'd say the interior is empty.

Advertisement