Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The Corolla owned by the people in the house opposite the train station entrance? They've had that car from new as far as I know. They used run a shop there back the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The Corolla owned by the people in the house opposite the train station entrance? They've had that car from new as far as I know. They used run a shop there back the years.

It's a Japanese import. Would have came to Ireland in the mid 1990s.

It's a Japanese import. Would have came to Ireland in the mid 1990s.

Hegartys scrapyard picked it up by mistake and were in the middle of crushing it when they realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Bit late to be putting it back now!

Indeed. They are paying the owners the value of the car plus a bit more for the "minor inconvenience" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Heatons are closing in October according to one of the workers. I dont know if this is permanent or if temporary (planning application to extend upstairs)
    If the latter no doubt it'll be rebranded as Sportsworld/Sportsdirect

http://tippfm.com/news/heatons_in_thurles_to_be_revamped/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Heatons are closing in October according to one of the workers. I dont know if this is permanent or if temporary (planning application to extend upstairs)
    If the latter no doubt it'll be rebranded as Sportsworld/Sportsdirect

http://tippfm.com/news/heatons_in_thurles_to_be_revamped/

Local councilors in particular Doran of SF are on Facebook very much playing down the notion that Heatons will be revamped and blaming the TDs as if Lowry could tell Heatons not to go. On line shopping is killing all these places all over the world and it can’t be helped. I live in thurles and I haven’t been in Heatons for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 yesnow

Heatons are temporarily closing and refurbishing stores across the country at the moment. Roscommon and Carrick-on-Shannon were both closed down for a couple of weeks this year so I would be genuinely surprised if this was permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Thurles store is closing and not re-opening as a Sports Direct as people think. The cost to renovate the building was too high.

Building has since been sold and a new store will open in it places, a Dealz / Mr. Price type store.

That is coming from a sickened employee who worked there for as long as I can remember. They are devastated, more jobs gone in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully it's dealz, love a good dealz.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

shmeee wrote: »
    Thurles store is closing and not re-opening as a Sports Direct as people think. The cost to renovate the building was too high.

Building has since been sold and a new store will open in it places, a Dealz / Mr. Price type store.

That is coming from a sickened employee who worked there for as long as I can remember. They are devastated, more jobs gone in Thurles.

Maybe the employee will be re employed in Dealz?

I hate Dealz. It just screams RECESSION and the sooner we get that idea out of our heads the better.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Maybe the employee will be re employed in Dealz?

Wouldn't be too sure of that, the pay in Dealz / Mr. Price would step them back a fair bit and they tend to have little staff in them stores.

Zero hour contracts compared to what was available in Heatons along with mostly Part Time hours (4 hour shifts). Managers pay ain't good for the workload either.

Imagine trying to pay off a mortgage from the money you were on to a job in which you don't actually know how much will be coming in at the end of the week.

The new store will have nothing to do with the staff of Heatons unless they apply for the jobs again. The new store will have their own recruitment drive and aim to mostly hire student, entry level workers on poor contracts / min wage etc.

I hate Dealz. It just screams RECESSION and the sooner we get that idea out of our heads the better.

Fact.

Dull shops, brands thrown in your face, warehouse type feel, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

shmeee wrote: »
    Fact.

Dull shops, brands thrown in your face, warehouse type feel, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Rambling around in one for more than few mins is what I'd imagine purgatory is like.

If Dealz move in McKevitt and Dwans are f****d. Frank Roches will be fine as he's more into paint and ornaments these days. I use Dealz a lot in Limerick/Dublin for chargers and lightning cables. I never carry around the original Apple cables as they break too fecking easy.

Tom Barry's Supervalu seems to be doing very well. Went in for a pack of sausages yesterday and the shelves were literally cleared. Same last weekend. The new staff added in there are very nice too.

Mr. Price on the other hand would just look ridiculous on the main street.

Shelves being cleared isn't always a good sign. It could mean that his suppliers won't supply him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Shelves being cleared isn't always a good sign. It could mean that his suppliers won't supply him.

Any sign of a facelift inside yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Joannes is having closing down sale.
    Any truth in rumour that Stakelums women's is closing?
    That'll be...Joannes, Stakelums, Elegance and First Editions gone from the square.

To thine own self be true

Oh they were restocked. I know this because of the dates on produce. Crowes, Superquinn etc sausages are a massive seller in Tipperary. All that was left was the sugar filled <60% pork stuff. Crowe’s deliver to stores in Thurles every Tuesday. They were all gone by Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was just over in Thurles for an hour and went into the town- first time in years. I was genuinely shocked at how bad it’s gotten. Every second or third store in the Main Square is either empty or about to close. With Heatons closing that’ll be another blow. You can see everywhere that the economic recovery is very very slow there

road_high wrote: »
    I was just over in Thurles for an hour and went into the town- first time in years. I was genuinely shocked at how bad it’s gotten. Every second or third store in the Main Square is either empty or about to close. With Heatons closing that’ll be another blow. You can see everywhere that the economic recovery is very very slow there

A lot is to do with retirement and you can't force people to stay open when they want to retire to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Heard today that reunion chinese is closed now too. Any truth to it? Didn't seem to be getting the same business since it changed from Jumbo which must have been there since the mid 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

There is a tapas european restaurant opening on old baker street

Something going on with Longs Newsagents from the look of it. Roller shutter opened and brown paper on the windows/door

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Heard today that reunion chinese is closed now too. Any truth to it? Didn't seem to be getting the same business since it changed from Jumbo which must have been there since the mid 90's.

It's in darkness the past few nights anyhow so looks like it.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Seems like its not Dealz moving into Heatons. At least this should be a decent shop for the town and hopefully will last.

https://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/thurles/330802/thurles-set-for-retail-boost-as-dv8-announce-plans-to-open-new-store.html

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Seems like its not Dealz moving into Heatons. At least this should be a decent shop for the town and hopefully will last.

https://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/thurles/330802/thurles-set-for-retail-boost-as-dv8-announce-plans-to-open-new-store.html

Been in the one in Nenagh. It's very expensive for Converse. McMahons in Thurles is actually the cheapest place for high-tops. €59.99 but €30 on sale every few months.

They have a lot of the same Superdry stock as Morans too. Moran is cheaper with this. More a Hollister/A&F wearer. Jumper I seen the other day in his for €25 is €66 on their site.

Up to "70% further reduction" sale still ongoing in Nenagh too. How this works is normally 1 item is 70% off and the rest is at most 30%.

It'll be a shame to see heatons go but it was all Sports Direct/mega value crap and they didn't even get in new fashions or styles. Those Tapout hoodies are on every skanger around. Leecooper, Slazenger etc.

I hear Mirror Mirror is selling these brands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Navilluso

Am heading up to Féile Classical this Friday. Just wondering if there’s any ‘pop up’ campsites we could pitch a tent in? I’ve got tent and all the add ons so really don’t want to pay €80 a head to glamp. Might be a sad oul drive back to Galway otherwise - anyone interested in a few bob for a back garden?!

• Advertisement

Navilluso wrote: »
    Am heading up to Féile Classical this Friday. Just wondering if there’s any ‘pop up’ campsites we could pitch a tent in? I’ve got tent and all the add ons so really don’t want to pay €80 a head to glamp. Might be a sad oul drive back to Galway otherwise - anyone interested in a few bob for a back garden?!

Go to Facebook Thurles buy and sell and see how you get on. Make sure you find out exactly where your being offered as you don’t want to be walking miles in the rain...

Advertisement