Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Manion wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow, are you advocating it be extended to weekends and nights ? A nominal charge doesn't seem that big a deal to discourage above of common resources. Every day I see the same cars parked in those spaces to such a degree that when family visit there is no spaces available. I really only see this as a problem for those who use the general spaces as their dedication spots. This should make it more likely that your childs grandparents will find a car spot when they are up.

They'll only be able to park for four hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

A nominal charge doesn't seem that big a deal to discourage above of common resources..
    A nominal charge is not ideal but is certainly a better solution that whats proposed.

But whats proposed doesnt enforce a nominal fee. It enforces that nobody can stay in a visitor parking spot for more than 4 hours between 9am - 5pm monday to friday.
    I really only see this as a problem for those who use the general spaces as their dedication spots.
    The majority of people who abuse the spaces as their general spots drive to work daily, they dont use the spots during the day. They use them every evening and every night, after enforcement has ended.

Residents who want to have visitors up during the week for greater than 4 hours during the day however are punished.
    This should make it more likely that your childs grandparents will find a car spot when they are up.
    The spaces are free during the day anyway, abusers of the spaces are off at work. it just means my childs grandparents have now been allotted 4 max of 4 hours per visit in any given 24 hour period.

THis is just one specific case as an example of how it inhibits residents who dont abuse guest spaces, im sure there are dozens more that other residents will face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

They'll only be able to park for four hours though.

Seems fair.

Seems fair.

Not to me. Anyway, fair or not, its a moot point, it doesnt solve the problem its supposed to, just an attempt to be seen to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gloria6232

I think tokens are an excellent idea. Residents who genuinely use the spots for guests should not have a issue if only using the spots for guests (i.e. with 10 tokens p/month). Anyone currently using the spots as 'their' space is unable to do so. If a resident has guests more than 10 times p/month they then pay a nominal charge like anyone else. Maybe 10 is not the best number but this is the most practical solution i have heard so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Forumsie

Folks, it being a bank holiday Monday, would you mind giving me some DIY advice?!

I'm currently looking at light fittings for the kitchen. I would like to have long pendants over the island and the table. The pendant cable in the house is very short (only about 6 inches from the ceiling) and I'd like the cable to be at least a foot longer. Please excuse the really dumb questions to follow....

Do I need to replace the whole cord unit? Do I need to buy a chain to support it given that the pendant will be much lower? Where can I get these longer cords? I've looked up a few websites but haven't really found anything. Would W**dies have these? Also I'd like to put dimmer switches in the kitchen. Does this mean I need to buy a different cord unit too?

Any and all lighting advice appreciated, hopefully I can pay it forward for the next phase of houses. And don't worry, I won't be attempting the installation myself! I just want to have the right parts ready for the handyman.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IrishGirl12

Forumsie wrote: »
    Folks, it being a bank holiday Monday, would you mind giving me some DIY advice?!

I'm currently looking at light fittings for the kitchen. I would like to have long pendants over the island and the table. The pendant cable in the house is very short (only about 6 inches from the ceiling) and I'd like the cable to be at least a foot longer. Please excuse the really dumb questions to follow....

Do I need to replace the whole cord unit? Do I need to buy a chain to support it given that the pendant will be much lower? Where can I get these longer cords? I've looked up a few websites but haven't really found anything. Would W**dies have these? Also I'd like to put dimmer switches in the kitchen. Does this mean I need to buy a different cord unit too?

Any and all lighting advice appreciated, hopefully I can pay it forward for the next phase of houses. And don't worry, I won't be attempting the installation myself! I just want to have the right parts ready for the handyman.

Many thanks

I would be interested in this also 🙂

Has anyone hung a TV on the wall in the snug? Any tips appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Many thanks

You will need to buy a new ceiling rose with cabling for the length or more and replace it all. You can cut the new cable then to the desired height and fit. The fixture should have a mechanism to make sure the cable is secure to the fixture (e.g. a small screw that ensures the cable is held by the fixture and not putting a strain on the wire connectors).

Each light fixture I've put up came with its own ceiling rose and cabeling but the process always the same.

1. Unscrew existing ceiling rose cover
    2. Loosen wires from connectors and remove cable + bulb holder
    3. Unscrew the wire connector from ceiling so you are left with just actual wiring
    4. Fit new light fixture in place and connect as required.

Note: if you are doing any of this, make sure you trip the desired switch so the cables are not live. Verify by switching the existing light on/off - it should not light when the switch is tripped. If unsure, best be safe and get help!

The light fixtures should be fit to a beam/structural wood in the ceiling, so if you reuse the old screw threading when putting up the new fixture you should be good.
    A beam/structural wood is required so that any weight in the fixture is supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 n1ckymar1e

Has anyone hung a TV on the wall in the snug? Any tips appreciated. Thanks

Do you mean the back room in the heron?

• Advertisement

Many thanks for the lighting tips Slayerking, appreciate it. Next week's lesson - dimmer switches! ;)

So far the furthest I've got is buying the adapters so the lights can use the energy efficient bulbs. But I'll get there!

n1ckymar1e wrote: »
    Do you mean the back room in the heron?

Yep that's it. :)

Many thanks for the lighting tips Slayerking, appreciate it. Next week's lesson - dimmer switches! ;)

So far the furthest I've got is buying the adapters so the lights can use the energy efficient bulbs. But I'll get there!

I havent put in any dimmers Im afraid, but I have put in some smart switches in a few places. I think the dimmers should be a pretty straight forward swap.
    If you're buying bulbs, just make sure they are dimmable, not all bulbs are. :)

slayerking wrote: »
    I havent put in any dimmers Im afraid, but I have put in some smart switches in a few places. I think the dimmers should be a pretty straight forward swap.
    If you're buying bulbs, just make sure they are dimmable, not all bulbs are. :)

Would you mind pming me where you got the smart switches and cost please. They would be more useful than dimmers anyway. Thanks again

Camden buyers - fyi we now have eircodes! That will make it alot easier to get insurance quotes. Check out the eircode website

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KubikBlack

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    pm sent

Hi there, please could you share the snagger contact with me as well? I cannot send PMs yet so have to stalk you guys here :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KubikBlack

Hello future neighbors!

I am a long time lurker and I am really grateful to all of you guys sharing your expertise and building a community. This forum cemented my decision to buy in the area and I am a lucky owner from the Camden phase.
    I can't wait to move in and hopefully meet you guys in the neighborhood. This will be my very first house and very first experience living in the neighborhood where one actually knows their neighbors and can actively participate in communal matters.

SherryFitz has given me snagging window within next 3 weeks so it's time to boost up preparations.

I would very much appreciate if you could PM me your snagger contact recommendations please.
    Any hints for snagging will be very welcome, too.

I know this question has popped up few times already from different users, though I guess it will remain on the table till the end of Camden phases 1 and 2 for the new movers.

Thanks in advance!

KubikBlack wrote: »
    Hi there, please could you share the snagger contact with me as well? I cannot send PMs yet so have to stalk you guys here :).

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Adrian2018

Hi All

I have been following this thread and am considering buying in RCP. I am interested to get feedback from those that have bought and are now living there. I have a couple of questions:

1. Overall - Are you very happy with your new home?
    2. Is the build quality high?
    3. Is there much social housing in the development?
    4. Is there any anti social behaviour concerns?
    5. How is commuting working out for you?

Any other comments appreciated. Thanks Adrian

Im afraid you wont get many unbiased answers to these questions. Everyone on this thread saw fit to spend their hard earned money on these properties. They done their research, liked the area and went for it. Chances are most people are very happy.

Even if they were not, publicizing issues with the area on a publicly visible thread wont really happen as it just adds potential to devalue their home and homes of others, should they ever decide to sell.

To give you my answers:

1. Overall - Are you very happy with your new home? - Yes, very.
    2. Is the build quality high? - Yes, Very
    3. Is there much social housing in the development? - No idea. All the houses are definitely not social housing.
    4. Is there any anti social behaviour concerns? - No more than any other good area in Dublin including the stereotypically good areas such as Terenure, Foxrock etc.
    5. How is commuting working out for you? -Fantastic, Bus from outside the door takes 25 mins to city center. Luas 15 mins walk away takes 20 mins to city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

1) Delighted. We're 2 years in the house and four years in Ashtown. It's easily one of the best places to live in Dublin.

2) toasty warm at all times, constant hot water, no major issues. My husband has been in Ireland since 2006, it's the only Irish house he's lived in where he's never been cold.

3) Some. Tuath housing association own a few of the 1000 homes in RCP and i believe the first block of apartments built (the one finished) will be social housing. I personally think focusing on social housing is a bit of a red herring, I also think a mix of income levels is good in an area and healthier for kids on both ends of the spectrum growing up as a whole so I'm probably not the best to offer am opinion on it.

4) never personally had a problem except the odd scrambler bike on the canal. There are bike thefts and the odd incident but bear in mind that ashtown is a town of 10000 people, it's never going to be zero.

5) commuting is great. Lots of options. I take the bus when it's raining (longer but door to door), the train is 35 mins to pearse or docklands including the walk, lately I've been cycling which is 30 mins and the Luas is also an option but that's mostly for town on the weekend for us.

Thanks fret_wimp2. That all sounds very good - thanks for taking the time to respond!

Thanks PhoenixParker - all positive. I take your point re social housing but I had a bad experience in a previous home and I certainly don't want to revisit it! I have spoken with Sherry Fitz re same and they have eased my concerns re same as they said it's 10% of the development and is confined to the area around the show house.

I expected Ballymore to be high quality and it really seems that they have done a great job at RCP.

Certainly can't complain about the commuting options!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi

You'll probably find this an interesting read:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/OtherDevelopmentPlans/LocalAreaPlans/Documents/Pellestown%20Full%20Doc%20January%202013_Part2.pdf

In terms of social there is not much. The vast majority of people are in employment and are owner occupiers. Security in royal canal park is very good and you'll often see Garda cars patrolling the area. Criminality and anti social behaviour was a problem when the area was just fields and sheds and the area between broombridge and RCP is still full of wayward youths.

Rathbourne village castletorn development you'll find people complaining about the social housing residents so maybe when the apartments are finished we'll see gangs of roaming howareyeahs spoiling the nice canal walks, park and canoe area. Hard to tell.

From a Amenities, facilities and access point of view it's the best development in Dublin at the moment.

Adrian2018 wrote: »
    I have spoken with Sherry Fitz re same and they have eased my concerns re same as they said it's 10% of the development and is confined to the area around the show house.

That sounds like a bit of BS to me from Sherry Fitz. There's no social houses at all around the show house (to my knowledge) - I'm a few doors up from it.

Regarding social housing, theres always that risk no matter what as you cant control who your neighbours end up being. This is the case with every housing estate as 10% must be offered for social housing by the developer.
    That said, from what I can see, there is very little social housing in general here (if any, but I'm assuming there must be some), and the vast majority of home owners seem to be young professional and owner occupiers.

Thanks Manion & Slayer King!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

1. Overall - Are you very happy with your new home?
    Very happy. Best value for the price, wonderful area, wonderful people. Some amenities, especially schools, are not yet well developed, but I hope that'll change in the next few years.

2. Is the build quality high?
    Yes, within reason. Still probably among the best you can find in Ireland. As others have said, it's warm and well insulated; the cost of heating is a fraction of what I paid anywhere else in Dublin, and it's much warmer here. Constant hot water and a few modern features, such as single water taps are making a huge difference.

3. Is there much social housing in the development?
    I was told (but cannot independently confirm) that many ground floor apartments are social housing units. Even if there were fewer, many apartments (and at least one house in our phase) are rented, and I didn't see any difference between renters and social tenants; no issues with either.

4. Is there any anti social behaviour concerns?
    We're currently in a quiet period, but the canal path has been plagued by teens on scramblers in spring. Crime is comparable to other areas I've lived in: most thefts happen in parking garages, even though there has been one theft of a motorbike parked in front of one of the newest houses. Nearly a year ago, I was assaulted by a group of feral teens along the canal, close to Broombridge. I've filed a Garda report and was told by one of our community guards that I should have recognized that the canal path was unsafe and not walked there. Since then, I've been working with local politicians to put pressure on the government for more security, and I'm not the only one doing so.

5. How is commuting working out for you?
    Very good. The 120 bus is faster than the route looks like, and now the Luas has made my commute extremely easy. It's exactly 8 minutes from Broombridge to Dominic. There should be a new train station and a pedestrian bridge to Ashington, which should give us additional access to buses along Navan Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Does anyone know when the next phase goes on sale for RCP? Is there any show house viewings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulflano

Hi all,

Anyone know whats being fitout in the shop/resturant across from the aldi site entrance? Looks interesting but cant see details of planning for fitout online.

Thanks!

Paul

• Advertisement

Thanks Bruncivik.

JMB88 - the next phase for release is Sept as per Nick at Sherry Fitz.

Advertisement