Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

mikehene wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm one of the lucky ones who bought in phase one of Rathborne Park. I have now finally been given a snag date and was hoping someone could recommend a snagger they used and were happy with the work they carried out?

Things I've been told to look out for are;
    -build finish
    -built to regulation/ in line with plans and the contract
    -insulation in all windows/doors/visible/attic are done right
    -visible plumbing and electrics
    -issues in the leasehold area outside the front door, etc

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks
    Michael

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Any deficiency, no matter how small, may be reported, and I advise you do so. Whether it's smudges in the paint or nail heads sticking out of the walls or floors, have them on your report. In fact, as the house settles, nail heads may become more prominent and crack the paint, so it's better to take care of them. In addition, the snagger should test all kitchen cabinets and drawers, all doors (closing and door stops), and that you are provided with all necessary keys (rod for opening the attic door, if applicable, keys to windows, the trash bin area, the electric meter box, etc.) We've had over 80 exceedingly minor items on our report, and all of them were fixed, no questions asked.

There are a few things the snagger will not be able to test, in particular leaking seals around the showers and potential issues with extractor fans (water condensation in the exhaust had been a common issue), but you should be getting an 18-month grace period where you can report all these problems and the builders will fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Forumsie

Hi Guys,

I'm one of the lucky ones who bought in phase one of Rathborne Park. I have now finally been given a snag date and was hoping someone could recommend a snagger they used and were happy with the work they carried out?

Things I've been told to look out for are;
    -build finish
    -built to regulation/ in line with plans and the contract
    -insulation in all windows/doors/visible/attic are done right
    -visible plumbing and electrics
    -issues in the leasehold area outside the front door, etc

Thanks
    Michael

If you PM me I'll send you a recommendation, our guy was there today and we were very impressed, he was there for nearly the full day.

(Sorry I cant figure out how to send a new private message that isn't a reply)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Forumsie wrote: »
    (Sorry I cant figure out how to send a new private message that isn't a reply)
    Click on the user name on the left, a menu will open and you'll select "Send private message".

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikehene

Bruncvik wrote: »
    Any deficiency, no matter how small, may be reported, and I advise you do so. Whether it's smudges in the paint or nail heads sticking out of the walls or floors, have them on your report. In fact, as the house settles, nail heads may become more prominent and crack the paint, so it's better to take care of them. In addition, the snagger should test all kitchen cabinets and drawers, all doors (closing and door stops), and that you are provided with all necessary keys (rod for opening the attic door, if applicable, keys to windows, the trash bin area, the electric meter box, etc.) We've had over 80 exceedingly minor items on our report, and all of them were fixed, no questions asked.

There are a few things the snagger will not be able to test, in particular leaking seals around the showers and potential issues with extractor fans (water condensation in the exhaust had been a common issue), but you should be getting an 18-month grace period where you can report all these problems and the builders will fix them.

Thanks for the advise Bruncvik, much appreciated! :)

• Advertisement

Has anyone fit hand showers retrospectively in a Heron? There are only rain showers with the pipes hidden behind tiles which severely limits our options. I've been quoted €314 for a kit that doesnt require smashing through tiles but I don't know what this looks like. Also quite expensive if we were to do it in all the showers.

If you have done this would you mind PMing me a photo please? While the rain shower looks very sleek it's not all that practical, either now or in years to come if there are leaks. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mooninite1

dazamataz wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if we need to treat the back garden fences?
    You shouldn't need to. The fence panels are made of pressure treated timber, but they will probably need to be retreated down the line (at least 7-10 years, you can buy buckets of the stuff the timber is treated in originally, I think it's called tanalith).
    FYI, the fences are made of upright concrete posts, with a timber skin on either side and a hollow in the middle (i.e. your fence is not the same timber as your next door neighbor).The gap between the timber skins is covered off with a timber rail which is the only bit you really share with your neighbour. None of this stops you painting the timber if you want to (unless there are some management company rules I'm not aware of!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stenomattia

Hi all, I'm looking for some info on tv satellite dishes, as I've seen quite a few been installed recently, especially in the houses along the canal near ours.
    I understood that these were not allowed under management rules, has anything changed, have you asked for permission or just went ahead with it? Also, can anyone please share their experience and would you recommend this option and if so, which provider? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dazamataz

Hi all, I'm looking for some info on tv satellite dishes, as I've seen quite a few been installed recently, especially in the houses along the canal near ours.
    I understood that these were not allowed under management rules, has anything changed, have you asked for permission or just went ahead with it? Also, can anyone please share their experience and would you recommend this option and if so, which provider? Thank you

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Elektroduende

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody from the Royal Canal Park Camden phase has been notified for snagging? I heard two weeks ago the first row of houses are ready for snagging..

We are trying to get an estimated date for ours and we have the feeling they may have given us the worst case scenario since they said they were 2 weeks behind schedule. The date they gave us for snagging last week was mid-September.

Any information will be appreciated!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Danny87

Just wondering if anyone has put in a notification to DCC regarding the dust/dirt from on the current site?

Ballymore should have dust monitoring in place and by the looks of our windows this is not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Danny87 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has put in a notification to DCC regarding the dust/dirt from on the current site?

Ballymore should have dust monitoring in place and by the looks of our windows this is not the case

Which reminds me. If anyone's getting windows cleaned inside and out on a Heron. Give me a shout. Could do with the info.

cronos wrote: »
    Which reminds me. If anyone's getting windows cleaned inside and out on a Heron. Give me a shout. Could do with the info.

Me too please

Danny87 wrote: »

Ballymore should have dust monitoring in place and by the looks of our windows this is not the case[/QUOTE

You could probably request Ballymore/Castlethorn hire window cleaners. In the past we got Irish Rail to clean our windows as they were doing dusty work for ages. Ask the management company to get on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I has a very obviously named company do my windows in Feb they charged 60 for a heron and offered to do inside and out for 120

My windows are awful but gonna hang on till hose ban is up to get them done again , I know the company are exempt but the ban is to avoid unnecessary use of water

Hi

I'll be moving in shortly and trying to get house and contents insurance. I got a quote with an insurance provider named after a Swiss city (as recommended previously on this board) but they're saying we're in a flood zone so won't be able to provide flood cover. Has anyone else got flood cover and could you PM me the name of the company?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi

Anyone else having problems with the cracks in the interior paint work. It seems there is a material ballymore used on the walls and where two walls join the different rate of settlement has causes a kind of torsion? If anyone else is having this problem, could they post how they fixed it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c96jrknaib3rqm/2018-07-30%2022.30.55.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rzo9ujtmm2p5pc/2018-07-30%2022.30.46.jpg?dl=0

Manion wrote: »
    Hi

Anyone else having problems with the cracks in the interior paint work. It seems there is a material ballymore used on the walls and where two walls join the different rate of settlement has causes a kind of torsion? If anyone else is having this problem, could they post how they fixed it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c96jrknaib3rqm/2018-07-30%2022.30.55.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rzo9ujtmm2p5pc/2018-07-30%2022.30.46.jpg?dl=0

They're settling cracks and completely normal. Its a brand new house with separate external and internal layer. As they expand differently in heat/cold and settle differently. this is bound to happen over the first 18 months.

Same happens in concrete houses but for slightly different reasons. Joys of a new build unfortunately.

Ive fixed the larger ones but im leaving smaller cracks for another 6 months to ensure they are done moving.

If your there less than 18 months, Ballymore will generally help you with the larger ones, if you're polite and patient, but theyre not obligated to, so be sure to be nice!

I think any new build should come with a voucher for a repaint 18 months after sale, as once its lived in, with heating coming on and off, and been through the temperature variation of all seasons cosmetic cracks like these are guaranteed to appear.

Yep, I'm not worried from a structural point of view, at this stage it's just unsightly and I would like to get it fixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dovetail

Anybody having problems with the toilet flush mechanism?...whereby the water continues non-stop after the flush? I had 2 flush mechanisms replaced within the first 6 months of moving in. then less than 12 months later, one of the same flushes failed again. when I raised the issue, I was told that there is only a 6 month warranty for replacement parts, and was not entitled to another replacement. Just wondering if anybody has had similar issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

dovetail wrote: »
    Anybody having problems with the toilet flush mechanism?...whereby the water continues non-stop after the flush? I had 2 flush mechanisms replaced within the first 6 months of moving in. then less than 12 months later, one of the same flushes failed again. when I raised the issue, I was told that there is only a 6 month warranty for replacement parts, and was not entitled to another replacement. Just wondering if anybody has had similar issues?

We've a similar problem with one bathroom. The flush can get stuck and you need to press it once or twice to loosen it. Only happens an odd time though.

slayerking wrote: »
    We've a similar problem with one bathroom. The flush can get stuck and you need to press it once or twice to loosen it. Only happens an odd time though.

I'm not in RCP yet but can sympathise as I just dolled out €200 to fix our only 3 year old flusher that's barely used. The plumber told me that push button toilets were the worst thing the ever happen to them. He said they're so finicky and most of the time they can't even find the right parts as they seem to change them so often. He told me if it breaks again replace the whole toilet with a lever flusher and save myself the heartache! The problem is I don't think lever flushers are really made anymore, something to do with water saving regulations

Just got a notice of the new parking regime to be enforced by kingfisher and it solves none of the issues its supposed to.
    Issues for bringing in a scheme is to stop residents permanently claiming guest parking spaces.

New scheme is to limit any guest spaces to 4 hours in any 24 hour period between 9-5 mon to friday.
    This means that guest spaces will still be claimed at night. It also means that any residents who may have guests over during the week are now restricted to only 4 hour visits within a 24 hour period.

Its a half arsed attempt at an answer that will only cause problems for residents while solving no real issues.

Any idea how to contest this?

Just to give an illustration of how this will affect residents:

For a house with one parking place that is full, anyone who visits during the day Monday to Friday and drives can only stay is 4 hours within 24 hours.
    If a house has two parking places but both are used, the problem is the same.

Occasionally, a resident may want two sets of visitors midweek for a number of hours , in which case even if a house has a spare parking place, one set of visitors can only stay 4 hours and cannot park in RCP for another 24 hours.

In my case my parents drive up midweek once per month to visit their grandchild. With new rules they can only stay 4 hours.
    The estate is for families. Having visitors for more than 4 hours is not abuse of guest spaces, its exactly what they are for. This family friendly estate is all of a sudden less friendly to families who have invested in it as we now cannot have our family, friends, grandparents visit for more than 4 hours during the week.

The problem is not visitors who visit occasionally, it is cars and vans who claim the same visitor parking spots every single day.
    This system being implemented wont fix that as during the day, people who abuse guest spaces are at work. They usually only use the space between 5pm & 9am when the system is not in place, so they are free to continue using the same guest spots every single day.

Im unsure who the system is supposed to help, but it certainly is not residents.
    Can i ask that residents please mail the management company to see if this parking regime can be altered.
    Their email is on the flyer that we all got in our door yesterday.

Thanks all.

I haven't moved in yet but completely understand the problem. I live in an apartment block of 200 apartments and there are 3 visitor spaces. People seem to move their cars into the visitor spaces and leave them there for what seems like weeks on end to leave their own space free for visitors.

The 4 hour limit is very restrictive for family or friend overnight stays however I'm not sure there is an alternative regime that would work. At least it will get the cars who use the visitor spaces all the time out so there would at least be more turnover.

The only real solution is more visitor spaces. Is this a possibility? Are there any green spaces left? I know there is a large unused field near the school but I dont know if this is designated for the permanent school building? But then there might be zoning/planning issues with car spaces and we're all supposed to be using public transport etc

Slightly off topic but is there any sign of the new train station being built?

Forumsie wrote: »
    I haven't moved in yet but completely understand the problem. I live in an apartment block of 200 apartments and there are 3 visitor spaces. People seem to move their cars into the visitor spaces and leave them there for what seems like weeks on end to leave their own space free for visitors.

The 4 hour limit is very restrictive for family or friend overnight stays however I'm not sure there is an alternative regime that would work. At least it will get the cars who use the visitor spaces all the time out so there would at least be more turnover.

The only real solution is more visitor spaces. Is this a possibility?

But this is not a solution, it doesn't solve the abuse of parking spaces, people will still continually claim "their" guest spot from 5pm to 9 am after all the genuine visitors have been forced to leave.

There are Lots of alternatives.
    They were initially going to make all guest parking pay for parking which I was against but it's better than this.

They could leave it as is. Better than the new system being implemented.

Residents who pay their management fees could get a token to allow parking for a reasonable period.

See, lots of alternatives.

If anyone thinks this will affect them, please mail the management company.

I don't think they will use more land for guest parking, it's too expensive. Even if more guest spaces were created, they would fall under the same parking regime so it's just more of the same problem.

Re: rail stop, work has not even started. expect 2+ years until its open.

Ha - you're right, I didn't think of those alternatives, I've just given up here and no one comes to visit!! The token system could be a goer. Like if everyone got 5 or 10 or an appropriate number of tokens a month. It would stop the people who use the spaces every night

2 years is good news, I thought plans for the train station had been abandoned completely!

The park by text doesn't apply over night or at weekends. I think it's a good compromise and solves the issue of people who live in the area using the general parking spots as their main parking spot. It doesn't seem that this will genuinely put out anyone too much.

Manion wrote: »
    The park by text doesn't apply over night or at weekends. I think it's a good compromise and solves the issue of people who live in the area using the general parking spots as their main parking spot. It doesn't seem that this will genuinely put out anyone too much.

It solves nothing, as you highlight it doesnt apply overnight or at weekends the abuse of guest parking happens. one and sometimes two spaces are claimed by large van's and the same cars over and over in the same spot every single night. The vans/cars is off at work during the day, not back until after 5, so this wont affect them in the slightest.

But it does hinder residents who have made this their home from having occasional guests. You bought a house here, you should be able to have guests come up occasionally and stay for a few hours, even over night without a curfew to be out of the estate. A brother/sister up for an interview, cousin up for a concert or whatever.

With everyone using guest parking as intended, no rules are needed and there is plenty for everyone.

Again, to make it personal my childs grandparent calls up midweek once per month. they have to drive, no public transport.
    They usually arrive around 11am and do the 2 hour drive home about 7. I wouldn't consider this abuse, its 12 visits per year and not for a massive duration. They can now only stay 4 hours before having to drive home.

I probably use the guest parking 14 times over the whole year, mostly for about 6 hours at a time, for brothers up for concerts, grandparents up visiting, general family business. This is not constant abuse, this is what guest parking is for. New rules certainly hinders that.

Im sure it will hinder a lot more people in the area over time.
    The estate should work FOR its residents, not against them, or at least not against the ones who do not abuse its amenities such as guest parking.
    Even leaving the parking situation as is is better. New "solution" doesn't solve the issue at hand anyway and guests can come without ridiculous time limits.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I follow, are you advocating it be extended to weekends and nights ? A nominal charge doesn't seem that big a deal to discourage above of common resources. Every day I see the same cars parked in those spaces to such a degree that when family visit there is no spaces available. I really only see this as a problem for those who use the general spaces as their dedication spots. This should make it more likely that your childs grandparents will find a car spot when they are up.

Advertisement