Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

drink driving, would you do it?

• 05-01-2018 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Following a link on here earlier to a Dublin radio station and I went browsing through some of the other links. I came across the stupidest woman in Ireland.

Basically she says rather than walk home for ten mins she would drive her car for 3 mins after 4 or 5 drinks. She goes on to admit that when she felt unfit to drive she drove slower. She spends the whole interview defending herself and acting like she knows better than anyone else. Sheer bloody mindedness.

Then she takes a pop at people on bikes and people who drive on medication. Pure comedy gold except we share the road with her.

So, good people of AH, would you agree with her and take a chance or just leave the car at home.

http://www.98fm.com/podcasts/Dublin_Talks/98FMs_Dublin_Talks/64052/Ballymun_Woman_Admits_Shocking_Reason_She_Drink_Drives

For me, I had to do my test twice cos I messed up with the 1st through nerves. So I swore I would never risk my hard won licence for the sake of a pint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Absolutely not.

Anyone who would is an idiot. It’s simply not worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

The attitude of this woman is pure shocking, its hard to believe anyone can be that thick

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,530 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I refer you to the answer I gave just over 8 years ago

(that was one of my earliest post in AH!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

No, I wouldn't. Not worth the risk, even if I only had one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"Callers" to those shows are all plants told to be as controversial as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Beasty wrote: »
    I refer you to the answer I gave just over 8 years ago

(that was one of my earliest post in AH!)

Wow. Do you remember all of your Twenty Eight Thousand Five Hundred and Fourteen posts? : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Would I drink drive ?
    Nope , I've one dead in my family , he was the drink driving.
    I've another who should've went to prison for mowing down someone while drunk driving.
    And finally another who got himself , I think , a twenty year ban for drink driving.
    Three geebags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

"Callers" to those shows are all plants told to be as controversial as possible.

I was actually on a certain show, years ago, talking to a nice lad named Joe and I can assure you I was not a plant, got no instructions before it went on air, but it was a hellva laugh. I wish I could get a copy but it was 05 i think so too far back.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,530 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AllForIt wrote: »
    Wow. Do you remember all of your Twenty Eight Thousand Five Hundred and Fourteen posts? : )
    Make that "and fifteen...."

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No definitely not.
    Good enough for Jackie Stewart good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

No. Never. Not even after one. I might feel fine but the breathalyzer might think differently. Not worth taking a chance. I'd be lost without my car.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Depends on the car I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Absolutely not. It's a barrier I have, no matter how 'brave' I am with drink, I wouldn't risk it. I'd be fcuked without a driving license, and that's only minor compared to the damage I could potentially cause.

Someone said to me about ten years ago that they'd never drive after two or three drinks, but wouldn't trust themselves not to after ten pints. I'm sure that's how a lot of drink driving happens, you have no intention of doing it, then get dutch courage and say "fcuk it, be grand".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Never did or will, even after one beer I wouldn’t chance it even if I knew I was capable.
    I don’t think I could live with myself if I caused an accident or injuries to someone else because I was stupid enough to drink drive.
    One habit I have changed in the last few years is not driving the next morning even after 4 or 5 although I know I would be capable my life would be ****ed if I lost my license..

The amount of people that still drink and drive is staggering, I live near a rural enough town with 4 pubs and the amount of cars parked up on a weekend night and then all Bar a few gone the next morning, and no way are they all drinking minerals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I remember starting to drive and my dad warning me that a few pints was enough when driving.

Shortly afterwards the “two will do” campaign was brought in.

I drove once when seriously over, was a stupid thing to do, it wasn’t planned.

I would have a glass of wine with dinner when out, just the one though.

https://goo.gl/images/fK1MwK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I drank once when I was driving a car in......

........Grand theft auto:D

Real answer No, not under any circumstances.

At this stage I'd report anyone I saw drink driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No. Never. Wouldnt do it if i was paid. One of the stupidest and most thoughtless things any driver could do.
    If i could change the law on it id have a complete lifetime ban on anyone caught. None of this stupid sympathy for drivers caught and then allowed tell some sob story and the equally stupid and soft judge let him/her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

I(unfortunately) knew someone that was banned for drink driving for 3 years I think.
    within six months of getting the licence back, they were caught at it again.

I think it should be a ten year ban(they might feel the pinch then), and then instant disqualification for life if ever caught again after that ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Nope. No way and I know people that do it and justify it. Disgusts me and it's terrifying being in a car driven by a drunk person. I didn't know they were drunk until after btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,671 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I would imagine knocking someone down and then driving over them slower is not as bad as hitting them at 5 miles faster (or 15 miles faster, sure it seems slower when your drunk but you have an excuse for it)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

No. Have never done it and would never do it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Have done it before and probably do it again, I unlike a lot of people on this thread will admit to it. Most people who drive have done it at sometime in their driving career.

Have done it before and probably do it again, I unlike a lot of people on this thread will admit to it. Most people who drive have done it at sometime in their driving career.

Tarring everyone with the same brush to excuse your excuses. Bravo to you til you kill someone while doing your civic duty of doing what every one else is apparently doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Real answer No, not under any circumstances.

At this stage I'd report anyone I saw drink driving.

But would you report somebody you saw texting while driving.??
    Its said to be 20 times more dangerous than drink driving.!!
    But its harder to prove thus a 'blind eye' is commonly turned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No, I would not. It's a terrible thing to do and it can have disastrous consequences for you and other people. I know one or two people who have had accidents while driving drunk, thankfully nothing too severe but that was more down to luck than anything, and while I wouldn't shun them completely as individuals I really can't have the same level of friendship with them that I had before. I think it's a deeply selfish and irresponsible thing to do - whatever about hurting yourself, you could kill an innocent person all too easily while driving drunk. What kind of person can live with that decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Nope.live in the middle of nowhere and couldn't cope if I got a ban.
    Having said that,15 or 20 years ago it seemed to be the social norm,so can't say I haven't done it in the past,driving the few miles home along backroads after a few drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Nope, never have done and never will.

Only time I came close to it was this summer. I was walking back from the pub with my boyfriend. After about 3 drinks. I had parked my car on a double yellow earlier that evening as there were no free spots near my house (joys of having public street parking).

There was loads of free spaces after appearing so I was going to move my car just incase I got a ticket the next morning. But my boyfriend convinced me not to...

Lo and behold I got a parking ticket the next morning but still glad I left the car there.
    Would have been fine moving it a few metres down the road but still could have been caught.

• Advertisement

Should really turn the ahh sure you had a few drinks and killed someone into culpable murder in Ireland, seriously have no time for people who make excuses for drunk driving

Bravo to everyone they said no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Many many years ago a bunch of us were on our way to a festival and decided to break the trip up by stopping on the first night in a large town. We parked the car up behind a nightclub and went and got drunk. At the end of the night the plan was to sleep in the car, but the bouncers seen us basically told us to clear off. So with nowhere else to sleep, I drove full drunk, and I was steaming. I'll never forget it, I think it sobered me up enough to remember it, but not enough to drive well. I pulled out of the car park and didn't see a car coming straight at me, thankfully that car was turning into the car park I was just pulling out of. Anyway, I drove about 200 yards to the nearest place to park and that was she first and last time I will ever drive drunk.

Now I don't risk even one drink, but that is because I do not want to be caught and banned from driving, if I could have 2 maybe 3 pints and know I was under the limit and assuming I feel fine, as I would normal do after 3 pints, then yes I would drink and drive.

If I was anyway drunk or feeling the effects of alcohol, then no way, even if I knew I couldn't get caught, I won't drive as I know it's very easy to crash or kill someone when you are not 100% in control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I drink drive regularly, it is legal and perfectly safe to do so according to our justice system , and fun. I do not over the limit drunk drive however which is illegal and deemed perfectly unsafe by our justice system.
    I nearly got wiped out last month by a Snapchat err , I think we should ban media devices from vehicles. Anyone found with a media/social device in their car should recieve an automatic ban. Seriously.

lalababa wrote: »
    I drink drive regularly, it is legal and perfectly safe to do so according to our justice system , and fun. I do not over the limit drunk drive however which is illegal and deemed perfectly unsafe by our justice system.
    I nearly got wiped out last month by a Snapchat err , I think we should ban media devices from vehicles. Anyone found with a media/social device in their car should recieve an automatic ban. Seriously.

Not my fault, got a Facebook message while driving, are you seriously serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Drunk drive - Absolutely Not and Never! But Drink drive?...................

According to the Law I probably do it a lot of the time :confused: Just had 5 cans of lager & I'll be driving around town tomorrow at around 12 - 12:30pm
    I don't see any harm in this. I feel fine now. But according to Drinkaware I would still be over the limit.

I don't think that is fair either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Lots of predictable virtue signalling when it comes to drunk driving. 'Oh, look at me trying to convince everyone I would never drink-drive so people think I'm such a good human being'.

Pfff. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I used to work nights.
    Had a 55 mile, 75minute drive home afterwards, regularly it was like driving home with 5-6 drinks, occasionally wandering onto the verge and forgetting towns, having to pull over for a 20 minute kip.

Gave it up and this was one of the primary fears, that I’d cause a horrific accident.

With a little bit of irony, I was on day shift when I finished after 13 years and on my way home I was tboned at a blind junction and nearly killed by a careless driver.

Given my age and that I grew up in rural Ireland, obviously yes. Along with most people I know who are my age or older.

Wouldn't do it now, pub less important, risk of being caught higher, cars more powerful and dangerous, taxis now available...the whole culture has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Lots of predictable virtue signalling when it comes to drunk driving. 'Oh, look at me trying to convince everyone I would never drink-drive so people think I'm such a good human being'.

Pfff. :rolleyes:

Can't believe it took 36 posts. Usually this moronic sentiment rears its head much sooner. And boy do people love to latch onto new buzz-phrases.

Though we did get already the "Yeah, well, what about texting and driving?" post, as if it's only possible to oppose one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

It depends on circumstances.
    When I was living in Africa in the 1970s I often drove after drinking.
    All the population went indoors when it got dark at 18:00 and didn't reappear until it got light at 06:00. The roads were empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I lived in Kuwait for a few years. Even though it is a "dry" country there is a massive drink driving problem. And I mean massive. And it's a bad enough country to drive in sober. Massive amount of death on the roads. We have 4.1 fatalities per 100k population. Kuwait is just under 19. Drink is a big part of this.

The funny part is that at the time, the police had no breathalisers. Because they took the view that alcohol was banned and therefore there was none. Complete head in the sand attitude.

• Advertisement

diomed wrote: »
    All the population went indoors when it got dark at 18:00 and didn't reappear until it got light at 06:00. The roads were empty.

That's pretty much it. You did a cost benefit analysis and decided it was risk worth taking, as I and so many did back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Nope - never.
    Had a close relative killed by a drunk driver so I will never drive after any alcohol or get in a car with a driver who has.

Virtue signaling and all that aside, it just isn't something I do. But I am lucky in that I have a great pub within a walkable distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It is perfectly ok to drink and drive provided you don't exceed the limits. I do it regularly.
    I don't go to pubs but I do go to restaurants and would always have a glass of wine or a pint of beer with my meal. I drive home afterwards.
    There is a reason why the legal limit is set at what it is. It is because it is deemed safe to drive under that that limit. I believe the limit is fair and I do not exceed it. I have been breathalysed three times after having a drink and have passed each time.
    I know there are some 'fundamentalists' on this thread who would regard me as a 'drunk driver' and a dangerous idiot. They do not see any difference between what I do and someone driving after drinking ten pints. I am a rational human being and I can make rational and sensible decisions. I intend to continue doing what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sean2591

Not any more - I hope not anyway. Have to admit I have done it before - not when I was totally pissed or anything but after a few pints when I thought I was OK to drive.

I did get caught and got arrested for it and got fined and banned from driving. My van is finished next month and have been looking at insurance prices and they are crazy especially as I only have a provisional license. So it is a big punishment if you get caught.

The crazy thing was that not long after I got caught one of my friend's brothera got badly injured by a drunk driver. It made me feel much worse when that happened. When I was talking to him about it and knowing I gad done the same. I'm just glad that I didn't hurt anyone or worse.

What’s scary is there are so few Garda checkpoints, yet so many people keep still getting caught.

Drink drivers are absolutely everywhere

I have only ever seen one checkpoint for alcohol, and I’ve been driving a very long time, all around the country

And to the lad who can’t go out and enjoy a meal without a beer. That’s just sad. 1 beer/wine does affect your senses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't and I wouldn't. I'm from a country which had much stricter laws and much, much stricter enforcement, so growing up the adults around me would not even have one drink if they had to drive after. Only one drink if they had to drive the next day.
    I suspect I internalised that culture. Even if it were legal to drive after 2 drinks or more, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It is perfectly ok to drink and drive provided you don't exceed the limits. I do it regularly.
    I don't go to pubs but I do go to restaurants and would always have a glass of wine or a pint of beer with my meal. I drive home afterwards.
    There is a reason why the legal limit is set at what it is. It is because it is deemed safe to drive under that that limit. I believe the limit is fair and I do not exceed it. I have been breathalysed three times after having a drink and have passed each time.
    I know there are some 'fundamentalists' on this thread who would regard me as a 'drunk driver' and a dangerous idiot. They do not see any difference between what I do and someone driving after drinking ten pints. I am a rational human being and I can make rational and sensible decisions. I intend to continue doing what I do.

There was an interesting bit about that on Newstalk only last week. They interviewed someone who had - as far as I remember - been involved in the lowering of the limit a while back. The interviewee stated that the reason there is a limit higher than 0 is simply because 0 cannot be enforced. You could be on medication containing trace amounts, or have a meal in which alcohol was used for the cooking, and that alone would be enough to push you over that.
    When asked how many drinks would mean you definitely stay under, she answered that this can vary massively from person to person, and even day to day. Your gender, weight, fitness, health, age, and a number of other factors affect it. She then said that the limit is just that - a limit. Not a target.

Also, just out of curiosity: How did you manage to get breathalysed 3 times? In the years I've been driving, not only have I never been breathalysed myself, I've never even seen any guards anywhere breathalysing anyone?

diomed wrote: »

All the population went indoors? And what about you, were you driving your car indoors?

How about now, under what circumstances is it ok to drink drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

All the population went indoors? And what about you, were you driving your car indoors?

How about now, under what circumstances is it ok to drink drive?

Ha ha, yea everyone was indoors except himself good one!
    On a different note I feel descriminated against by the term and use and connetattions of drink driving.
    What is drink driving? What is drunk driving? What is the limit? What is legal? What is acceptable? What is unacceptable? What is your weight, height, tolerance level, etnitisity ( can be a factor), shoe type , medication, Snapchat traffic level, tiredness level ( not, a bit, very, asleep,) , interest in getting that particular cd from the glove compartment, . In fairness though alcohol does impair one's driving. But there is a nanny state effort towards a zero limit. It makes me laugh when statistics such as "35 percent of fatal accidents have alcohol as a causitive factor" are trotted out by the state and media. Then Healy Rae asked them are you SURE they were a causitive factor. Then they have to backtrack and take out the word causitive. And it reads "35 percent ....alcohol as a factor".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

First of all I doubt I'd ever drink and drive because I don't really drink in the first place.
    However I know of a lot of people who'd drink a a drink or two. Well educated/good jobs etc(Firemen/nurses, who see what happens after bad accdients). These people would happily drive home after a drink and have meet MAT checkpoints and passed.
    I'd love to know the statics of the amount of fatal/serious accidents that those who had one drink. They are a few people who we hear about in the media who's lives have being effected by drink driving but these people have always being way over the limit and one even had cocaine in his system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement