Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mine connects to my router at a reported 144Mb/s which I think is as much as it can manage on 2.4GHz.

Be aware that it's continuously uploading to Google's servers whether it's detected anything or not. Mine uploads on average 2.9GB per day, about 87GB per month, making the average upload speed only around 264kbit/s so you should be OK.

EDIT: forgot to multiply by 8, so it's actually more like 264kbit/s, but still not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

oranbhoy67 wrote:
    just ordered mine from Screwfix and I have an electrician coming to fit it on Friday morning

I ordered mine from Screwfix last Tuesday (Nov 24th), and no sign of it yet (Monday Dec 1st)!

The website said "2 to 3 business days" for delivery. Two days me hole.

Based on other posters I'm not expecting it for another frew days.

You might want to reschedule that electrician ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I ordered mine from Screwfix last Tuesday (Nov 24th), and no sign of it yet (Monday Dec 1st)!

The website said "2 to 3 business days" for delivery. Two days me hole.

Based on other posters I'm not expecting it for another frew days.

You might want to reschedule that electrician ;(

I just got a british tracking number from them there, I thought they would be delivering from Ireland :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I used screwfix recently for the first and last time, delivery said something like 2 days but was over 2 weeks and the order was broken up into multiple packages...

Anyway.... Where are you based? I installed the hello myself and I've lost count of the number of electricians I've rang, nobody will call out.... Are you based in Dublin?

I used screwfix recently for the first and last time, delivery said something like 2 days but was over 2 weeks and the order was broken up into multiple packages...

Anyway.... Where are you based? I installed the hello myself and I've lost count of the number of electricians I've rang, nobody will call out.... Are you based in Dublin?

Im in Donegal, most said they wouldn't call out or are too busy but I got one today said he would do it Friday, I have contacted Screwfix via Twitter ( someone else on there is complaining that their item has been sent to the US , they replied with a smilie in their tweet )

I explained thru DM if it's not here for Friday its getting sent back when it does arrive .. My local Argos has them back in stock tomorrow so I have one reserved until Thursday night, I actually tried installing a cheaper brand one last week, I dont have enough slack on the doorbell wires.. and would be lost when it came to the chime so was hoping an electrician would sort it

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote:

Still no sign of it ;( If ordering from Screwfix I wouldn't book the electrician until you get the doorbell.

It was only 7 euro more in Argos, I should have collected it there!!

Still no sign of it ;( If ordering from Screwfix I wouldn't book the electrician until you get the doorbell.

It was only 7 euro more in Argos, I should have collected it there!!

I got on to Screwfix Ireland Twitter on Monday and told them that I needed it for tomorrow, I had one reserved in Argos just incase but then realised no one local is selling the right type of transformers for it ( there's a Screwfix in Derry has one left but im trying not to travel at the moment, and strangely Screwfix are selling the Nest Hello for £229 sterling thru there)

my tracker has updated and the package is out for delivery now so fingers crossed

Screwfix did tell me on twitter that if it came too late I should refuse the delivery and they would start the refund process for me from there

I hope you get some news soon if not id contact your bank for a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

i want to get a wedge to improve the view of my google hello, i was wondering which wedge people have bought ?

thebackbar wrote:
    i want to get a wedge to improve the view of my google hello, i was wondering which wedge people have bought ?

Mine finally arrived and it comes with a wedge in the box. I think it's called a 30 degree wedge.

I've seen some on Amazon, and saw a few custom 3D printed one's online if you need an unusual shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

The wedge in the box is just 15 degree's

Good few on amazon, can't vouch any and some reviews aren't great. Lot of them look bulky too. Mightn't fit neatly on a narrow door frame.

Our door is set back in a covered porch area so needed to angle it a good bit.
    Mounted it in corner of door frame and wall. Drilled in at an angle and used the wedge with longer screws.

535296.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, that's what I did with mine when we got a new composite door fitted. I was lucky in that there was some plastic beading in the corner between the frame and the wall so could screw into that using the standard screws. I didn't need the wedge though in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Could probably have mounted it without the wedge but it made it easier position the wires. The sides are angled at 90 degrees to each other so they butted up nicely against the wall and door frame.

to follow up on mine I was wondering if anyone on here could help me I purchased the Screwfix Bell Transformer 8/12/24v that has been recommended on here in previous posts however the person I got to install it for me said I had 12v already which was enough,
    he didn't have great English so was it hard to communicate with him, he left before I fully tested it and the chime is not working, not too big a deal, as I have the nest mini which alerts me and also my phone but still, I would like to have it working nonetheless

however my stream has been cutting out at night, for up to an hour at a time, only late/early AM but still Id like it to be working 24/7, strangely when this happens I don't get the usual warning that I have been disconnected on my phone

also, I've only just realised the transformer is also connected to a chime in the flat downstairs even though that neighbour living there doesn't have a doorbell!!

Ill post some photos if I can & if anyone could give me advice that would be great

https://imgur.com/a/WixsUKY
    https://imgur.com/a/0lhtEOD
    https://imgur.com/a/oVShc43
    https://imgur.com/a/vOD8d8Z

• Registered Users Posts: 39 imPhilip

Can anyone recommend an electrician that could install, based in North County Dublin.

imPhilip wrote:
    Can anyone recommend an electrician that could install, based in North County Dublin.

I'm getting mine installed today, I'll let you know ;)

Got it installed today :D

So far happy with it, but it's been less than 24 hours.

The electricians upgraded the transformer in my fuse box to a 24 volt one, and they were able to install the doorbell in a better location than the old one by drilling through the gap in the bricks and running a cable so very happy with that.

I've used the wedge that came with it as well to give me a better angle on my drive, so something to think about if you're getting one.

I was told I would not be able to turn off the doorbell chime / ringer inside the house as you need an electronic chime and apparently I don't have one. However, I opened the app, toggled the switch, and no more "ding dong" inside the house. This used to drive the dog mad so delighted to get that working.

The Google Home app seems to have different, and in some cases, better functionality than the Nest App, in particular for identifying and grouping known faces.

The camera went off line twice after being installed, but it's to do firmware updates, the second time it came back with new features like the themed (Christmas/Halloween etc.) doorbell tunes. So when someone presses the bell, they hear jingle bells, so that's a bit of fun!

I've it set up to give a notification on our Google Home speakers around the house and that seems to work well. Santa is bringing a Nest Hub Max so can test with that soon, will be cool if it works, it has a screen that will show the door when someone calls.

Can report back after a bit more testing, any questions just shout.

Al.

535737.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 imPhilip

Got it installed today :D

So far happy with it, but it's been less than 24 hours.

The electricians upgraded the transformer in my fuse box to a 24 volt one, and they were able to install the doorbell in a better location than the old one by drilling through the gap in the bricks and running a cable so very happy with that.

I've used the wedge that came with it as well to give me a better angle on my drive, so something to think about if you're getting one.

I was told I would not be able to turn off the doorbell chime / ringer inside the house as you need an electronic chime and apparently I don't have one. However, I opened the app, toggled the switch, and no more "ding dong" inside the house. This used to drive the dog mad so delighted to get that working.

The Google Home app seems to have different, and in some cases, better functionality than the Nest App, in particular for identifying and grouping known faces.

The camera went off line twice after being installed, but it's to do firmware updates, the second time it came back with new features like the themed (Christmas/Halloween etc.) doorbell tunes. So when someone presses the bell, they hear jingle bells, so that's a bit of fun!

I've it set up to give a notification on our Google Home speakers around the house and that seems to work well. Santa is bringing a Nest Hub Max so can test with that soon, will be cool if it works, it has a screen that will show the door when someone calls.

Can report back after a bit more testing, any questions just shout.

Al.

Looks like great job, would you be able to PM me the contact details for the electrician you used.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    to follow up on mine I was wondering if anyone on here could help me I purchased the Screwfix Bell Transformer 8/12/24v that has been recommended on here in previous posts however the person I got to install it for me said I had 12v already which was enough,
    he didn't have great English so was it hard to communicate with him, he left before I fully tested it and the chime is not working, not too big a deal, as I have the nest mini which alerts me and also my phone but still, I would like to have it working nonetheless

however my stream has been cutting out at night, for up to an hour at a time, only late/early AM but still Id like it to be working 24/7, strangely when this happens I don't get the usual warning that I have been disconnected on my phone

also, I've only just realised the transformer is also connected to a chime in the flat downstairs even though that neighbour living there doesn't have a doorbell!!

Ill post some photos if I can & if anyone could give me advice that would be great

https://imgur.com/a/WixsUKY
    https://imgur.com/a/0lhtEOD
    https://imgur.com/a/oVShc43
    https://imgur.com/a/vOD8d8Z

I've installed a couple of these a read a good few posts on same. I've had the ring doorbell too.

I've read others have the same issue as you.

And I had the same issue before I upgraded the transformer

You'll see other posts on same it needs 10VA and 16-24 V

Some actions don't need all the available power to function, if you are underpowered it seems to pop up when you want to stream video from the units as you said.. The alerts all work at some of the lower voltages.

All I can say is I put in the 24Volt traffic and it fixed the issue with the Ring camera, the nest camera always had 24 V and has been great

12V is not high enough enough in many cases others have posted on same here. Just because it appears to work, and work in part, it's not much use at 3am when you get an alert but the doorbell can't stream you the footage as it's IR light is on and you want to see what's going on.

So I'd put the 16-24 Volt traffo on it

I'd be very surprised if you didn't notice a significant improvement and the rate of loss of streaming dropping considerably.

Note there is a power requirement for the unit too.

Doubling the voltage would double the power available to the unit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

535737.jpg

I've been thinking about mounting mine like yours as the bricks get in the way when mounted to the door frame and causes the night vision to bounce off the brick and obscure the image. I covered some IR lights with electrical tape but this then blocks the mic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hey folks. Bought one of these and going to have an electrician install it most likely. But I wanted to make sure I had what I needed first.
    I've attached a photo of the bell/chime box with the cover removed and also my fuse box which has a fuse for the bell.

Both say 8V AC so I assume something needs to be upgraded to run the Nest hello? Do I need to replace the fuse and something in the bell / chime box too? Or do I need a separate transformer to sit outside of these?

Been researching the past few nights but struggling to make sense of this stuff and there's a lot to sift through in this thread.

edit: sorry for some reason these pics are rotated when I upload

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

It looks like your transformer, that thing you called the fuse, is capable of 12-24V, which is what he Hello was designed for. Your electrician will have to re-wire it though. I opted for 24V with no problems. The chime looks good with plenty of space for the chime connecter. The electrian will be able to figure out the rest from the wiring diagram in the instructions.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

fifth wrote: »
    Hey folks. Bought one of these and going to have an electrician install it most likely. But I wanted to make sure I had what I needed first.
    I've attached a photo of the bell/chime box with the cover removed and also my fuse box which has a fuse for the bell.

Both say 8V AC so I assume something needs to be upgraded to run the Nest hello? Do I need to replace the fuse and something in the bell / chime box too? Or do I need a separate transformer to sit outside of these?

Been researching the past few nights but struggling to make sense of this stuff and there's a lot to sift through in this thread.

edit: sorry for some reason these pics are rotated when I upload

Does the fuse board have a page saying what it's currently at? I have the same as yours but the information page says it's 12v, mine worked fine.

Honestly couldn't tell you what wire is what, had to search for Nest instructions because the wires didn't add up to to their help. Found the wiring on a UK based from.

xWKNqBt.jpg

tuiwtvd.jpg

MYxJVfO.jpg

Thanks for the clarification, there is a sheet thats on the inside door of the fuse board but it was left blank next to the bell transformer. Am going to get an electrician to come and look at it and do it correctly in case I mess something up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the only way is to either put a meter onto the outputs or check what the back of the transformer looks like. Having a lower than needed supply won't damage the Nest so if it was me I'd wire everything up inside the chime box, unscrew the existing doorbell, connect the 2 wires and see if it works. If it works happy days put in the Nest, if it doesn't wait for the electrician to come around to install it properly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oh yeah, the Nest app has great instructions on the wiring of the chime box. Personally I'd have no problem installing a Nest for someone once the transformer was in, anything in fuse box needs someone skilled in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Henrys Grimey Paws

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Does the fuse board have a page saying what it's currently at? I have the same as yours but the information page says it's 12v, mine worked fine.

Honestly couldn't tell you what wire is what, had to search for Nest instructions because the wires didn't add up to to their help. Found the wiring on a UK based from.

xWKNqBt.jpg

tuiwtvd.jpg

MYxJVfO.jpg

You appear to have the exact same chime and transformer as me, only difference is that I've no indication of what my voltage my transformer is outputting. I'd always assumed that it was 8v just from looking at the chime.

Might be time to spring for a Nest Hello!

Got my nest hello hooked in where my old doorbell was. Powers on, connects to the app, video and sound all good.

Ran into problems with getting the nest chime and inside bell box to work together. Wired it in based off of a diagram I found for a matching chime box online.

No chime sound inside when the doorbell is pressed.. a buzzing sound from the chime box. Have flipped the doorbell circuit breaker for the night and will look again tomorrow. Not sure what's missing, tried a couple of combinations of wires but reverted back to what it was originally then.

Basically the chime either rings too much (continually) or doesn't ring at all depending on how I connect the wires.
    Transformer should be ok it's this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

You appear to have the exact same chime and transformer as me, only difference is that I've no indication of what my voltage my transformer is outputting. I'd always assumed that it was 8v just from looking at the chime.

Might be time to spring for a Nest Hello!

I’ve the same transformer too and mine is set to 12V but not supplying enough juice for the chime to work, camera does work though. Anyone upped it to 24V and know of it works then?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I switched mine from 8v to 24v and it has been rock solid ever since. Before it would drop off the wifi several times a day.

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

RunDMC wrote: »
    I switched mine from 8v to 24v and it has been rock solid ever since. Before it would drop off the wifi several times a day.

R

Thanks I went ahead and swapped it to 24V and chime is working well now, fiddled a little with the duration of the bell too to get it ringing correctly

Advertisement