Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is ten years old retro now?
    Because that's when this pic was posted!

a3navBu_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    I don't even remember that, that's unreal! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha! I completely forgot that existed!

If it were created now, the main tower would be constructed from PVMs.

Master of the Universe

'Why, in in an age of Dead Cells, Shovel Knight and Hyper Light Drifter, did he take a massively nostalgic (and great!) 2D pixel franchise with already gorgeous 2D animation and art and make it look like something made in Adobe Flash over a weekend?'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Is ten years old retro now?
    Because that's when this pic was posted!

uC5HYgt
    If you go by Retronauts rules, it is.

Master of the Universe

Can anyone name a film from 2009 without googling it? I couldn't. :eek:

Not that none were released that year (!) I just have zero frame of reference to 2009 being a year.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can anyone name a film from 2009 without googling it? I couldn't. :eek:

Not that none were released that year (!) I just have zero frame of reference to 2009 being a year.
    First try was Simpsons movie, 2007
    Then Mirrors, 2008
    Deathly Hallows – Part 1, 2010
    Puss in Boots, 2011
    And then I got it - Up was in 2009

That was fun

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Christ that pic is 10 years old?? :(

Wasn't there another one showing off his gold wallpaper? :pac:

I'm guessing the picture of retr0 dressed up as a schoolgirl is even older then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dear lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

2009, what a time to be alive, even if the year didn’t exist according to o1s1n!

On a side note, is the Wii 100% compatible with all GameCube games and accessories like the GBA link cable? Obviously minus the gameboy player and other things that plug into the bottom.

2009, what a time to be alive, even if the year didn’t exist according to o1s1n!

On a side note, is the Wii 100% compatible with all GameCube games and accessories like the GBA link cable? Obviously minus the gameboy player and other things that plug into the bottom.
    I dunno did I need something downloaded to play US GC games but it's been years since I had it on. I'm sure someone else knows better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

According to this the Wii with the GC ports is good to go
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCube_%E2%80%93_Game_Boy_Advance_link_cable
    The cable is compatible with the GameCube and the original Wii on the console side, and the Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Player, and e-Reader on the portable side.

I dunno did I need something downloaded to play US GC games but it's been years since I had it on. I'm sure someone else knows better.

I’ve a Japanese Wii and GC so looking to just have the Wii instead of both for my Japanese games and the Wii can be easily modded too
    According to this the Wii with the GC ports is good to go
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCube_%E2%80%93_Game_Boy_Advance_link_cable

Perfect, cheers! Looks like there’s no issues

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been a long time since I messed around with my wii but I think you can use Gecko to run different region GC games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Or just softmod a Wii.
    But I've a gecko somewhere myself, don't think I've ever used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Some NeoGeo land in Japan, seems cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Or just softmod a Wii.
    But I've a gecko somewhere myself, don't think I've ever used it.

Yeah just soft mod it, no need for anything else.

Master of the Universe

Some NeoGeo land in Japan, seems cool.

So much tat! Got excited when I saw the AES style game boxes, only to see they were full of more tshirts.

They should at very least had a display cabinet with an AES console and a NGP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

So much tat! Got excited when I saw the AES style game boxes, only to see they were full of more tshirts.

They should at very least had a display cabinet with an AES console and a NGP.

Agreed, it was more a merchandise shop.

So I just tried to get into the George but the hardcore lesbian bouncer denied me. Like excuse me ma’am but who are you to deny me the D?! Just because It’s not your bag doesn’t mean you have to be salty to the male homos.

This has been a drunk Atavan post. Stay sexy y’all. Xoxo.

• Advertisement

Also FYI, Ireland is ****e, come back to Canada with me. We can all rent a gaff and have an amazing time. I won’t even get mad if you have a big game collection.

Also FYI, Ireland is ****e, come back to Canada with me. We can all rent a gaff and have an amazing time. I won’t even get mad if you have a big game collection.

I'll just let Mrs Ciderman know and I'll pack a bag... What time will I meet you there... Have to rent a separate apartment for the game collection.
    Also, there better be lots of straight women over there whose only expectation of a man is an Irish accent....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

I have a feeling that post will be edited tomorrow!

No fun being denied entry though.......... to clubs / pubs that is! ;)

So I just tried to get into the George but the hardcore lesbian bouncer denied me. Like excuse me ma’am but who are you to deny me the D?! Just because It’s not your bag doesn’t mean you have to be salty to the male homos.

This has been a drunk Atavan post. Stay sexy y’all. Xoxo.

Post of 2019 perhaps, already??? I think so people.

So... A hardcore lesbian bouncer... I think I saw that one on redtube....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw this on HotUKDeals - A free PDF eBook on the History of Ocean Software.

Any C64/Spectrum/Amstrad kids here will know who they are. :)

HUKD link: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/the-history-of-ocean-software-free-retro-pdf-download-3162450
    Direct link to PDF (369 MB) - https://www.hotukdeals.com/visit/comment/36809474/16046643

Cracking doc to get you in the Oceanic mood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mr E wrote: »
    Saw this on HotUKDeals - A free PDF eBook on the History of Ocean Software.

Any C64/Spectrum/Amstrad kids here will know who they are. :)

Have the physical copy of this, and the US Gold one, both are a good read. A Gremlin in the Works by Bitmap Books is good bit better though. That's a great read.

Three software houses that were part and parcel of my youth!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭briany

Let's say I were to start collecting for Gameboy today (that is both the console and the games). How would I go about that? That is to say, what would be the best approach to take without subsequently feeling ripped-off?

Is EBay a good route? Some of the refurbished models look pretty good. I mean, in a choice between a mint unit (costing hundreds), a faded and/or scratched thing, and a refurb, the refurb (assuming it's a decent job) would offer the best aesthetics & feel / cost ratio, no?

Master of the Universe

'refurb' can vary wildly between sellers. For some, it would mean replacing the capacitors, screen cover and button gel inserts.

For others it might just mean wiping with a cloth and replacing the screen cover.

If I were you I'd find a decent looking one on ebay and start snipe auctions on games.

'refurb' can vary wildly between sellers. For some, it would mean replacing the capacitors, screen cover and button gel inserts.

For others it might just mean wiping with a cloth and replacing the screen cover.

If I were you I'd find a decent looking one on ebay and start snipe auctions on games.

The details of the listing usually divulges a bit more on what the seller means by a refurb. Most that I've looked at mention a new housing, a general cleaning of the innards, a new screen lens and replacement of the button membranes. They claim this gives a console that looks and plays like new.

What I'm not sure of is what price for this constitutes a bargain. For example, I've seen a nice looking glass screen DMG-01 styled refurb of a GB Pocket that comes boxed and Tetris included for 60 or 70 Euro (depending - it's a buy now/best offer listing). I like the look of that one, but there are cheaper offers without an included game or box with a more generic-looking transparent housing, and replacement buttons.

I'd be suspicious of some crappy replacement case or even just the d-pad and buttons being substandard, it'd be enough to ruin the handheld

• Advertisement

I'd be suspicious of some crappy replacement case or even just the d-pad and buttons being substandard, it'd be enough to ruin the handheld

That basically rules out the entire practice of buying a refurb, unless you can try it out first (if you're stringent about quality, that is.)

briany wrote: »
    That basically rules out the entire practice of buying a refurb, unless you can try it out first (if you're stringent about quality, that is.)

Well, yes.
    I'd nearly find one at a market and replace the bits and bobs yourself with well reviewed components.

Master of the Universe

briany wrote: »

To me anyway a refurb would simply replace perishable parts, so gel under buttons, screen cover and internal components that have a lifespan such as capacitors and batteries.

replacing the case/lcd screen or anything along those lines fits more into the console modding category IMO, which is a different thing.

Master of the Universe

Well, yes.
    I'd nearly find one at a market and replace the bits and bobs yourself with well reviewed components.

That's what I'd usually do alright. As long as you can get a good condition base model, parts are easily replaced.

I got something right.... just let me make a note in my diary... a momentous day indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

anyone heading to the Amiga Ireland meetup in athlone this weekend ? I'll be going Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

BGOllie wrote: »
    anyone heading to the Amiga Ireland meetup in athlone this weekend ? I'll be going Saturday

Ya I'll be there as well, had really hoped to chat with RJ but unfortunately he's had to pull out :(

Should I bring an Atari ST just to troll them ? :D

Would love to know how it goes.
    I've Akumakon this weekend, not that I'd know much about the Amiga to go

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'm there on the Saturday as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Might have been posted before at some stage.
    R Murray
    Published on Jul 14, 2010
    Here is my take on one of the themes from the popular computer game, Tetris, played on the organ of St. Joseph's church, Glasthule, Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Since we're on the topic of music there's a quite talented Dublin based chiptune and dance music producer and performer called Ansonix whos making a name for himself on social media lately.

Great to see talent like him and Banjo Guy Ollie in the Emerald isle:

His complete tracks on youtube also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'd be well into that now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Doge wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic of music there's a quite talented Dublin based chiptune and dance music producer and performer called Ansonix whos making a name for himself on social media lately.

Great to see talent like him and Banjo Guy Ollie in the Emerald isle:

His complete tracks on youtube also.

saw him play live back in december , was great and he's a nice guy as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a documentary about Jeff Minter coming out this year called Heart of Neon.
    I can't find the trailer on YouTube, but it's up on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/310850660

Mr E wrote: »
    There is a documentary about Jeff Minter coming out this year called Heart of Neon.
    I can't find the trailer on YouTube, but it's up on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/310850660

I wish the Minotaur Project would hurry up and be released on the PS4!

And no PSVR mode on Tempest 4k is a crime, tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the subject of Jeff Minter, recently played Polybius in VR and it’s legitimately the closest I’ve ever felt to having a seizure. I think that was the intention, so A+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

https://store.bandainamcoent.eu/eu/product/526637/dark-souls-trilogy-collector-s-edition-ps4

Dark Souls trilogy collectors edition

Seriously pricey!

I would really like to get the book. **** statues

Master of the Universe

500 hundred dollars? they can go and sh1te!

• Advertisement

Loved this, it's about N64 video tapes

Advertisement