Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »
    I know I’m in a minority on that view but I really did enjoy Enterprise. In a mirror Darkly is imho the best Trek episode ever.

The last season of Enterprise was fantastic, if it had of managed that quality in the previous ones it could have continued for the seven.
    Of course, even then, they screwed the pooch by having the Riker/Troi framing device in the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The last season of Enterprise was fantastic, if it had of managed that quality in the previous ones it could have continued for the seven.
    Of course, even then, they screwed the pooch by having the Riker/Troi framing device in the last episode.

I still enjoyed the early seasons as well. But I’m a big fan of Scott Bakula anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

Everytime I see this thumbnail in the related vidoes section of youtube, I think the guy is the head off o1s1n!

466698.JPG

When you actually see the bigger thumbnail or play the video it doesn't look like him at all though oddly enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't quite know the type of medication you are on Doge, but I might suggest you quit skipping doses!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The arcade at Cineworld is completely boarded up. Is it gone?

How do arcades work, are the machines rented/leased or bought outright? I wonder what happens to the cabs. If they're bought I wonder would they get much for the likes of HotD4 that was always broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't quite know the type of medication you are on Doge, but I might suggest you quit skipping doses!

Can't you see the resemblence in the small thumbnail? :P

Sort of the same thing as looking at someone from a distance I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

DaveyDave wrote: »

How do arcades work, are the machines rented/leased or bought outright? I wonder what happens to the cabs. If they're bought I wonder would they get much for the likes of HotD4 that was always broke.

Haven't been there in years, thought it closed way back. Last time I was there it was on its last legs, seriously weighing up a house of the dead 2 midi cabinet for 200.

Shoulf have grabbed it :(

I know where some of these things went, but trying to get inside these magical buildings is like herding cats. Makes you want to explode nnggg

Haven't seen a house of the dead 1 or 2 in absolute ages, just like killer instinct there were tons of them everywhere. Then gone overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

DaveyDave wrote: »

hotd4 even broken is still worth a bit as sega parts are expensive so the machine parted out would get a good return ,and the lindbergh(not sure what colour version) system it runs on isnt exactly cheap to replace or fix in most cases although its basically a pc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Outcast remake is free on humble bundle.

Must have a go off this later, DRM free too is nice.
    Humble are doing Puyo Puyo Tetris for €13 as well. Quite tempted by that but for the life of me I can't get my head around the Puyo part of the game:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Must have a go off this later, DRM free too is nice.
    Humble are doing Puyo Puyo Tetris for €13 as well. Quite tempted by that but for the life of me I can't get my head around the Puyo part of the game:o

Prefer Puyo Puyo to tetris.

Just match four it everyway except diagonals. It's simple enough. Huge potential for combos which multiply the garbage you send to the opponent.

I get the concept of chaining them together but somewhere between there and actually putting it into practice things go a bit funny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone watching the fascinating nonsense that is Digitiser the Show? I wouldn’t go expecting much new insight into retro gaming, but you do get a series of increasingly outlandish, surreal stunts and oddities that capture the irreverent essence of the old Teletext pages. Think they’ve definitely hit their stride after three episodes, so the new one’s as good a place to start as any. The last ten minutes are truly something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anyone watching the fascinating nonsense that is Digitiser the Show? I wouldn’t go expecting much new insight into retro gaming, but you do get a series of increasingly outlandish, surreal stunts and oddities that capture the irreverent essence of the old Teletext pages. Think they’ve definitely hit their stride after three episodes, so the new one’s as good a place to start as any. The last ten minutes are truly something.

Need to watch it, I backed it, really wanted to go to the live show and explained I'd have to travel, dates were up in the air, honestly they were so helpful but in the end it clashed with my friends wedding.
    One of my friends got a tier on kickstarter for creative input or something I have to ask again about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watched the first couple, it's trying far too hard to be quirky and it feels really forced to me. Some of the youtubers involved just don't suit it at all, and their own content is far better than this.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Watched the first couple, it's trying far too hard to be quirky and it feels really forced to me. Some of the youtubers involved just don't suit it at all, and their own content is far better than this.

It's standard Mr. Biffo fare. A lot of cringe, but some gold in there at the same time. It just looks a little low budget, but it's deliberately done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Relikk wrote: »
    It's standard Mr. Biffo fare. A lot of cringe, but some gold in there at the same time. It just looks a little low budget, but it's deliberately done.

I think people are so desperate for retro programmes from the golden age they're much more forgiving than they would be otherwise.

Far too much sh*te to bother ploughing through to get to any gold. As I said, a lot of the people who are involved, create content that is far superior to this on their own channels.

Horses for courses though, and no one is forcing me to watch it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

A mate and I were regular viewers... or is it readers, of Digitiser over the years, the show looks spot on though, as insane as the teletext pages.

Seems the Toki remake finally came out after... 10+ years was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Don't know if I'm in the wrong place or if this has already been asked but has anyone played or picked up the Sega mega drive classic with the 3 mortal Kombat games? If so would you recommend it? The reviews I've seen seem pretty mixed.

• Advertisement

It's a terrible product. The emulation is seriously lacking, especially in the sound department.
    If original hardware isn't an option, the classics collection on PS4/XBone/Steam is good.

It's a terrible product. The emulation is seriously lacking, especially in the sound department.
    If original hardware isn't an option, the classics collection on PS4/XBone/Steam is good.

Yes, plenty of Sega collections released down through the years on the ps2 ps3 psp and ps4. Good options available for street fighter games too. It's the 4 mortal Kombat games from the mega drive I'm after.

Yes, plenty of Sega collections released down through the years on the ps2 ps3 psp and ps4. Good options available for street fighter games too. It's the 4 mortal Kombat games from the mega drive I'm after.

Why the megadrive versions? They are god awful.

Don't think there's any good way of playing the old games, there was a mortal kombat collection on the PS3 and Xbox 360 which had good emulation of the arcade games on it and is the best way to play these games. It might be on Xbox One through the backwards compatibility program. They are the last releases of the old games.

The megadrive consoles with the games are very poor standard and I really can only recommend to stay well away.

In all honesty they are pretty bad fighters in retrospect, get some Capcom or SNK games instead :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Why the megadrive versions? They are god awful.

Don't think there's any good way of playing the old games, there was a mortal kombat collection on the PS3 and Xbox 360 which had good emulation of the arcade games on it and is the best way to play these games. It might be on Xbox One through the backwards compatibility program. They are the last releases of the old games.

The megadrive consoles with the games are very poor standard and I really can only recommend to stay well away.

In all honesty they are pretty bad fighters in retrospect, get some Capcom or SNK games instead :pac:

Ah look it was what I grew up playing so I'm happy if I can get it. If the SNES versions were better I'd love to give them a try too. I'm sure they can't be a million miles off and if they're better again great.

I already have all the Street fighter games. They, like the Sega mega drive classics have been released multiple times over down the years. So when it comes to that and Sonic the hedgehog and Shinobi etc I'm sorted.

Mortal Kombat eludes me though. I did have a version of 1,2 & 3 on the psp on midway arcade classics but I found them to be a very poor rendition. To put it mildly.

A modded Snes mini or a Retropie would be a good shout for MK 1-3

A modded Snes mini or a Retropie would be a good shout for MK 1-3

Am I right in saying I could play these on a SNES mini (or indeed a mini mega drive) with the cartridges?

No, it wouldn't be compatible with cartridges. If you want to go the cartridge route it's original hardware or something like a Retron 5. I have no experience with the Retron though so I couldn't tell you how good it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't think there's any good way of playing the old games

If only there was a multiple arcade machine emulator that was able to do something like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Apparently a member on this site holds 2 Irish Super Mario kart SNES record and is currently 317th in the world.

Wonder who that is :p

• Advertisement

Next step: Games Done Quick drama.

Advertisement