Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

And Bugsnax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What was the point of that State of Play FFS lol :D

Just ****ing give people the information they actually want and stop dicking around.

Imagine the meltdown online after people watching that knowing they could have easily had a ps5 event tonight instead!

Crash Bandicoot looks good but everything else most won't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

Between them and ms this is a bit of a **** show now, 3 months out from mid November and nothing from either. Infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

recyclops wrote: »
    Between them and ms this is a bit of a **** show now, 3 months out from mid November and nothing from either. Infuriating.

Like we all knew we were getting nothing tonight anyway so its grand but still FFS just get on with it.

If there seriously holding off just to undercut MS by a few euro then what a load of **** :pac:

People are gonna buy the bloody console one way or another just let us pre-order it at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I think Sony are holding off because there afraid of MS just under cutting them.

MS being a much larger company with massive reserves means that if they are willing they can undercut sony at any price point. And to me MS are determined to pull back market share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think MS wil absolutely undercut Sony, but Sony can afford it and own it imo.

MS are presenting the 'value' option, with GamePass being being bedrock of their proposition.

Sony are the ones really offering (and making a point of it) a next gen experience and, apparently, exclusives to go with it.

I've played PS4 all this generation, but would have routed for MS, and I still do. But if the PS5 was 50 more expensive than the comparible MS console, I'd say it was easily still worth that extra cost - based on the messaging and games I have seen so far.

I'll end up buying both consoles at or near launch, so its not a competition for me. But I reckon I will never purchase a game outright for the Xbox. I will play Game Pass games on it, and that is it I reckon. Even at that I will buy and play Destiny 2: Beyond Light on PS5 (despite being on GamePass).

Even from a position of wanting MS to give Sony a bloody nose.... Sony is the better offering from a next-gen perspective imo and will be more worth the price, imo. Now if it turns out PS5 is 550 and MS announce at 400 or some other crazy disparity between the prices I may look at it different. but a 550 PS5 vs a 500 XBSX... PS5 will offer the better games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There's lots of rumbling in "Insider" Twitter circles about how Sony will respond if MS go free with Xbox Live.

The thought is that while Ps Plus won't be free, it will come with PS Now, which should address those backwards compatibility issues somewhat

Fair points.

The exclusives Sony offer just dont have an equal on the MS side yet. I do believe that will change at some time during the next gen givin the studios that have been bought up by MS. That change is not here yet though.

If they had of bought those studios earlier in the Xbox One cycle they may have be launching the series X with a better suite of first party exclusives but they didn't so here we are.

The Xbox should be more expensive givin the hardware in each console,the fact MS may undercut the PS5 or even have price parity givin the hardware differences gives it a strong argument for those who are not too bothered with exclusives imo.

Being cheaper and more powerful did the PS4 no harm at all so if series X is same price/cheaper but more powerful thats a pretty good marketing tool to beat sony over the head with along with gamepass.

I think MS wil absolutely undercut Sony, but Sony can afford it and own it imo.

MS are presenting the 'value' option, with GamePass being being bedrock of their proposition.

Sony are the ones really offering (and making a point of it) a next gen experience and, apparently, exclusives to go with it.

Even from a position of wanting MS to give Sony a bloody nose.... Sony is the better offering from a next-gen perspective imo and will be more worth the price, imo. Now if it turns out PS5 is 550 and MS announce at 400 or some other crazy disparity between the prices I may look at it different. but a 550 PS5 vs a 500 XBSX... PS5 will offer the better games.

This is exactly how i am sitting currently except the majority of my gaming will be on xbox down to gamepass giving me stuff to tide me over for very little cost, I rather the controller and ability to flick onto tablet etc if away is quite handy when travelling for work.

What the ps5 offers is probably 1/2 games a year i cant play on xbox, thats its really. its exactly how the ps4 went for me and i cant see it doing it any differently this year.

a large part of this is myself and my friends grew up playing xbox- 360- one.

Where i think MS can claw it back is the lockheart ( if it exists) if that launches around 250 bundled with gamepass its a no brainer for parents to buy it for their kids compared to a new ps5 full whack.

The exclusives sony sell are rarely the must have games kids are playing Fortnite/warzone, should sony get ones of these exclusively that will change my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's really looking like Lockhart is a thing with the XBox series X|S controller leaked. Undercutting sony significantly with a 1080p/1440p console could really work in Microsoft's favour especially with how good value gamepass is. I don't see them trouncing Sony but can see them claw back significant market share back to around 360 levels again.

I mean if it's cheap enough why not get a PS5 and a Lockhart so as to have a cheap gamepass machine? I got my One S for backwards compatibility when it was cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

EoinHef wrote: »
    Fair points.

The exclusives Sony offer just dont have an equal on the MS side yet. I do believe that will change at some time during the next gen givin the studios that have been bought up by MS. That change is not here yet though.

If they had of bought those studios earlier in the Xbox One cycle they may have be launching the series X with a better suite of first party exclusives but they didn't so here we are.

The Xbox should be more expensive givin the hardware in each console,the fact MS may undercut the PS5 or even have price parity givin the hardware differences gives it a strong argument for those who are not too bothered with exclusives imo.

Being cheaper and more powerful did the PS4 no harm at all so if series X is same price/cheaper but more powerful thats a pretty good marketing tool to beat sony over the head with along with gamepass.

I just don't see what MS are doing with the extra power. I just can't look past Halo Infinite. It looks like an Xbox One game, cause it is. It will run on the Xbox One. The fact MS are doing first parties on Xbox One as well as series X means the game design and development will be held back by the current gen - in a way that Ratchet and Clank, for example, is not.

PS5 games will be more capable of taking advantage of the power available than One X games will, because they don't need to think about instant portal jumping in R&C (for example again) working on PS4.

MS may talk about PC games having the best versions and not holding back dev - but that is talking graphics and frame rates, not features and inherent game design. MS won't be able to compete with PS5 on a tech level until they are coding just for Series X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I mean if it's cheap enough why not get a PS5 and a Lockhart so as to have a cheap gamepass machine? I got my One S for backwards compatibility when it was cheap.

This is exactly my plan! Just want to get confirmation on the Lockhart model sooner rather than later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How far out is Ratchet and Clank though? Will we not be getting Series X exclusives by then? And I really don't see what R&C does as a game changer. Both consoles will be more responsive because of the SSD's but I can't see the SSD being taken advantage of fully until well into the gen with the exclusives are coming. The SSD could be another emotion engine or power of the cloud thing. I honestly can't see it giving us new types of games but rather improving (quite significantly though) on what we have already. I mean we had... kind of the same thing R&C did with Soul Reaver back on the PS1.

I just don't see what MS are doing with the extra power. I just can't look past Halo Infinite. It looks like an Xbox One game, cause it is. It will run on the Xbox One. The fact MS are doing first parties on Xbox One as well as series X means the game design and development will be held back by the current gen - in a way that Ratchet and Clank, for example, is not.

PS5 games will be more capable of taking advantage of the power available than One X games will, because they don't need to think about instant portal jumping in R&C (for example again) working on PS4.

MS may talk about PC games having the best versions and not holding back dev - but that is talking graphics and frame rates, not features and inherent game design. MS won't be able to compete with PS5 on a tech level until they are coding just for Series X.

Are Sony gonna be able to pump out enough first party titles that encompass enough genres early enough for that approach to matter though?

Main driver for most consoles will be 3rd party,are 3rd party titles going to develop features just for PS5? I couldnt tell ye tbh so it may be less of an issue. After you forget about propriatery features in 3rd party games it does boil down to which one can have a more consistent framerate,higher resolutions etc and that ultimately comes from hardware.

Consoles are pretty much PC's these days so its not surprising MS think that way imo.

Halo is a strange one alright,its strength isn't in its looks,the plan is that game will run at 120hz which to me makes total sense for a shooter,my preference would be higher frame rates over better visuals but thats my bias. I must find out if thats a series X only feature,that would make it more next gen than the one x release.

It is interesting how its all panning out. I feel there's many things that could push people one way or the other before launch. I see good arguments for both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,235 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd definitely be aiming for a PS5 and a Series S (price depending) for Gamepass unless Sony greatly advance PS Now to be a Gamepass competitor.

As for whether Sony can pump out first party titles, I say chances are they're going after exclusive additional content in games from third-party devs until they can, to fill in the gaps between those big first-party titles.

Thats what i feel there going to do aswell,which is total horse **** imo.

Paying devs to cut content on other platforms is a crappy practise.

No issue with that when its first party,but the like of EA and Activision getting paid fortunes to screw over half their player base is rotten.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Thats what i feel there going to do aswell,which is total horse **** imo.

Paying devs to cut content on other platforms is a crappy practise.

No issue with that when its first party,but the like of EA and Activision getting paid fortunes to screw over half their player base is rotten.

It depends on whether content is genuinely cut or added. I think the devs of Avengers said the deal and decision to add Spider-Man was quite late so they had to scramble to add him, so in fairness it does seem like additional PS-exclusive content rather than content cut from other versions. Going to be next to impossible to determine for many other cases though and the accusation will always be Sony are buying exclusivity for content that was supposed to be in all versions.

It's still not the best practice regardless, as it means Xbox/PC users are paying the same for less content just because they don't have a PS5 to buy that version of the game. Again, I'd much prefer if Sony put that money and effort into PS Now, as Gamepass is by far Xbox's biggest selling point imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

BC probably helped the Genesis keep up with the SNES and the PS2 probably benefited from it too, but I don't think anything since then has.

Now being able to take your library and more importantly your platform locked account forward will probably be a much bigger difference.

Indeed,because of that it would be a huge decision to go with an Xbox over PS next gen for me.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    It depends on whether content is genuinely cut or added. I think the devs of Avengers said the deal and decision to add Spider-Man was quite late so they had to scramble to add him, so in fairness it does seem like additional PS-exclusive content rather than content cut from other versions. Going to be next to impossible to determine for many other cases though and the accusation will always be Sony are buying exclusivity for content that was supposed to be in all versions.

It's still not the best practice regardless, as it means Xbox/PC users are paying the same for less content just because they don't have a PS5 to buy that version of the game. Again, I'd much prefer if Sony put that money and effort into PS Now, as Gamepass is by far Xbox's biggest selling point imo.

I don't know, devs have said this before then the truth has come out that they did cut content. Happened with one of the Tomb Raiders iirc.

The Spiderman thing though must have been known well in advance. In videogame development land stuff really isn't added in quickly without the QA to make sure it works and is balanced.
    Varik wrote: »
    BC probably helped the Genesis keep up with the SNES and the PS2 probably benefited from it too, but I don't think anything since then has.

Now being able to take your library and more importantly your platform locked account forward will probably be a much bigger difference.

Well the Megadrive (no americanised Genesis here thank you very much) was BC with an additional adapter but since so few people had a master system, particularly in the US I doubt it was a factor.

It seems to be a nicety to have at the start of a generation but then gets forgotten.

However that kind of needs to change with online accounts tied to consoles and not being able to migrate content to the next platform. Compare that to PC where ever game I've bought is available across any PC I upgrade to.

I'd hate to see a repeat of Wiiware where all those games are lost now if it wasn't for internet archivists.

I'd hate to see a repeat of Wiiware where all those games are lost now if it wasn't for internet archivists.

Once again game piracy is here to save the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

If the rumors that Sony have paid $750m for an exclusive timed deal for GTA6, then I do expect the PS5 to be a lot more expensive... and it will sell like hot cakes.
    There are more rumors that Sony have been very aggressive in their approach to timed exclusives this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Looks like the real winners could be PS5 owners who already have a somewhat competent PC to use MS Gamepass on.

Get the PS5 console and play the MS games on PC Gamepass for next to nothing.

If the rumors that Sony have paid $750m for an exclusive timed deal for GTA6, then I do expect the PS5 to be a lot more expensive... and it will sell like hot cakes.
    There are more rumors that Sony have been very aggressive in their approach to timed exclusives this time around.

It looks more like Sony are buying exclusive additional content rather than third-party games or timed exclusives. I seriously doubt either Sony would spend that much money for GTA6 exclusivity, or that Rockstar would take it (because a huge number of people are still going to buy an Xbox anyway and Rockstar aren't going to want to cut them out considering how much they could make of microtransactions from them for the next version of GTA Online). It's far more likely Sony have done a deal for exclusive GTA Online content.

Haven't seen that rumour reported anywhere.

• Advertisement

Looks like the real winners could be PS5 owners who already have a somewhat competent PC to use MS Gamepass on.

Thats its in a nutshell and seemingly MS plan, get people on the cheaper to build model of their platform and say here is all the games you can play for next to nothing and build a significant market share. People now wait for games to appear on free with gold or gamepass, unless its a significant release.

Sony seem to be banking on the significant releases selling the consoles but then the money dries up unless of course your crazy enough to be paying one subscription for a great service and another for a poor one.

The real winner is the consumer is loves gaming as a hobby/ medium, we really are spoiled with MS pretty much flawless method of delivering games and sonys whilst limited but excellent exclusives that make their consoles necessary.

we really get our monies worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

recyclops wrote: »
    Thats its in a nutshell and seemingly MS plan, get people on the cheaper to build model of their platform and say here is all the games you can play for next to nothing and build a significant market share. People now wait for games to appear on free with gold or gamepass, unless its a significant release.

Sony seem to be banking on the significant releases selling the consoles but then the money dries up unless of course your crazy enough to be paying one subscription for a great service and another for a poor one.

The real winner is the consumer is loves gaming as a hobby/ medium, we really are spoiled with MS pretty much flawless method of delivering games and sonys whilst limited but excellent exclusives that make their consoles necessary.

we really get our monies worth.

I wouldn't agree with calling ps plus a poor service. I've had no issues with it and play online regualrly and for €40 a year PS plus is very good value.

This year I've got these four quality games for 'free' that aren't available on xbox.
    • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
    • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    I would have spent €20 on Fall Guys alone. And then there's the numerous AAA multi platform titles included too.

For people with limited time, they choose quality games over quantity of games. In that regard there's nothing that entices me towards game pass or an Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I wouldn't agree with calling ps plus a poor service. I've had no issues with it and play online regualrly and for €40 a year PS plus is very good value.

This year I've got these four quality games for 'free' that aren't available on xbox.
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    I would have spent €20 on Fall Guys alone. And then there's the numerous AAA multi platform titles included too.

For people with limited time, they choose quality games over quantity of games. In that regard there's nothing that entices me towards game pass or an Xbox.

I am Ps4 all the way, but suggesting Quality over Quantity in terms of Free games with Ps Plus is just silly, Xbox Game Pass has literally ever 1st party game available from release as well as a huge library of AAA games, they have both quality and quantity. Ps Plus gives you 2 games a month, most of which are that old you more than likely got them 3-4 years ago.

I ain't suggesting Ps Plus is Bad, but I would not call it good either, You combine Game Pass with a PC for instance, 4 quid a month to play anygame without a sub to play them online too, Microsoft wins that hands down

• Shadow of the Colossus

its poor in comparison to whats on offer out there and its consistantly playing catch up. right now Gamepass is the bar and they fall short, plus is just games with gold some months good most months bad.

Quality is something that Sony do have which is why they are essential if you like gaming but the Quality games rarely appear on plus until they can be picked up dirt cheap second hand or they appear on PSnow which is also another subscription

I am off the opinion both a ps5 and then whatever iteration of xbox people can get is the best value out there.

If i may offer a differing opinion, NINTENDO have a poor service, PS+ is grand and gamepass is fantastic

• Advertisement

Haven't seen that rumour reported anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Ugh not that fool

So wait, your using some random terrible youtuber with 30k subs as a source? Jesus the world has really gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

gibgodsman wrote: »
    So wait, your using some random terrible youtuber with 30k subs as a source? Jesus the world has really gone mad

It amazes me that all you need to be taken seriously as a credible source nowadays is a webcam, a tv with a console OS running in the background and an ikea cabinet filled with cheap junk from special edition game releases

gibgodsman wrote: »

I said "Rumors".

There have been many murmurings about lately with bombshell announcements from Sony about third party exclusive deals, this might be one of them.
    https://wccftech.com/third-party-approached-playstation-5-deals/

I personally couldn't be arsed with GTA.

RedXIV wrote: »
    If i may offer a differing opinion, NINTENDO have a poor service, PS+ is grand and gamepass is fantastic

Nintendo at least is dirt cheap, although if it wasn't for the old games I'd not think it was worth it.

Honestly though, paying to play online while the platform holders advertise to you on their personal storefronts.... It's always been a total rip off considering it's been free on PC since year dot.

Nintendo at least is dirt cheap, although if it wasn't for the old games I'd not think it was worth it.

Honestly though, paying to play online while the platform holders advertise to you on their personal storefronts.... It's always been a total rip off considering it's been free on PC since year dot.

Honestly my main issue with the nintendo service, is while yes it is cheaper than the other 2, it is also far far far far far far worse. No real voice chat, adding people is a chore, online servers are terrible and basically 0 real games given away or any real discounts of note, Nintendo should offer free Online play until they at least have working servers and online voice chat

My big problem with Nintendo was the need to interact with them to get digital games off one 3DS to play it on another. Ridiculously cumbersome system for managing digital games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That’s me at the moment, minus a PS5 obviously ;) PC, Switch and PS4 has every base covered at the moment.

Even booting up GamePass PC last night, was happy to discover the Touryst up there so was playing it within minutes. Has happened a few times recently. It’s great value - the prospect of being able to boot up MS Flight Simulator next week without having to shell out 70 quid can’t be argued with (I’m no sim fan, but goddamn the game looks gorgeous).

The one concern I have with subscription services is both psychological and commercial: as Netflix has shown, it can somewhat weaken the ‘content’ when there’s a need for quantity. There’s already been some rather underwhelming projects from MS’ new first party studios, so you’d hope they’re not cutting corners to just get a steady stream of content. Equally, it’s a model that could potentially allow for the sort of smaller, cheaper experiments that Sony has shied away from - I don’t think GamePass has quite had a breakthrough success in that regard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So Microsoft have announced in the last hour that the XSX will release in November, no specific date. So I'd imagine the PS5 will be around then too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think most people expected November for both.

The whole thing Is like Big Fish where Danny DeVito would give Ewan McGregor a small piece of information each month about a girl he was interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

343 just announced that the new Halo is delayed and won't be a launch title for new Xbox.

That's a big blow to holiday sales

343 just announced that the new Halo is delayed and won't be a launch title for new Xbox.

That's a big blow to holiday sales

I'm not sure if its gonna make much of a difference tbh, I think the Series X will live or die this November on it's price relative to PS4

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm not sure if its gonna make much of a difference tbh, I think the Series X will live or die this November on it's price relative to PS4

Agreed. Plus Gamepass and Backwards Compatibility (and the general Xmas market) will carry it through. I don't see Halo's delay having that much of an impact.

Still a blow though given it's their big franchise.

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. Plus Gamepass and Backwards Compatibility (and the general Xmas market) will carry it through. I don't see Halo's delay having that much of an impact.

Still a blow though given it's their big franchise.

Yea it will look bad if the PS5 launches with Spider-man and Demon's Souls etc, but that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It would want to have a better battery than the DS4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

It would want to have a better battery than the DS4!

50% more capacity?

50% more capacity?

Really depends on the power draw though, might be a 50% larger battery, but I have no doubt with all the extra features, 50% extra will be used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So Remedy have announced that Control Ultimate Edition, releasing soon, will include free upgrades to the Next Gen versions.

Talk about pissing all over your existing customer base who bought the game when it first came out, and the DLC that has come since.

In other news, it could be Nov 6th when the Xbox launches, based on some retail leaks from earlier today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement