Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

josip wrote: »
    Which was strange because Applegreen just up the road in Ferns was always competitive

It's now more expensive than the 2 places in Camolin.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

vicwatson wrote: »
    Happy these two fuel stations in camolin will be affected - purely on the basis the two stations have been running a “cartel” on fuel prices for as long as I can remember. Zero competition among them and always more expensive than elsewhere on the N11

The prices with the two have always been 1c dearer than Ferns. I'd hardly call them a cartel, theres an independent station in Camolin that is cheaper than Ferns, so they have competition.

I've been commuting for eight years, Ferns is the best value, then Camolin, then the rest on route including Enniscorthy are dearer than Camolin. In my opinion they are good value and I typically get me fuel in Cartons. Easier access and savage breakfast rolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The prices with the two have always been 1c dearer than Ferns. I'd hardly call them a cartel, theres an independent station in Camolin that is cheaper than Ferns, so they have competition.

I've been commuting for eight years, Ferns is the best value, then Camolin, then the rest on route including Enniscorthy are dearer than Camolin. In my opinion they are good value and I typically get me fuel in Cartons. Easier access and savage breakfast rolls

Who’s talking about ferns?

These two stations in Camolin that I’m referring to have been the exact same price for fuel as long as I can recall, on opposite sides of the road. They have never competed - sounds cartelish to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

How had Howlin timed it well? He's not in government and has no say over when the election will be or when these roads will open.

To retain his seat i mean. At a time when Labour are dying on their feet, he will of course remind all that he signed off on the projects.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

To retain his seat i mean. At a time when Labour are dying on their feet, he will of course remind all that he signed off on the projects.

He might try that but Varadker, Ross the local FG TDs will get all the publicity of the openings. And my original point still stands that he hasn't timed anything, well or otherwise, as he has no control over the opening or election dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He topped the poll in 2016 and Labour returned the same or more councillors in Wexford - he's at no risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

L1011 wrote: »
    He topped the poll in 2016 and Labour returned the same or more councillors in Wexford - he's at no risk.

Its the safest Labour seat in Ireland.

Back on topic there seems to be a load of activity in the last three weeks but slow enough progress on the M11/N11 roundabout at Oylegate. Lot of work on a drainage lagoon there.

I notice they've cut in a area that looks very like a bus stop on the hard shoulder immediately south of the roundabout on the N11. Seems strange as the bus stop in Oylegate is just a km or two away. Maybe it has a different purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

MichealD wrote: »
    Its the safest Labour seat in Ireland.

Back on topic there seems to be a load of activity in the last three weeks but slow enough progress on the M11/N11 roundabout at Oylegate. Lot of work on a drainage lagoon there.

I notice they've cut in a area that looks very like a bus stop on the hard shoulder immediately south of the roundabout on the N11. Seems strange as the bus stop in Oylegate is just a km or two away. Maybe it has a different purpose.

The other half of the semi circle was laid out with kerbing earlier on. Another week or two should see it complete.

kneemos wrote: »
    The other half of the semi circle was laid out with kerbing earlier on. Another week or two should see it complete.

A lot of the workers are already being lined up for redeployment in mid July. Scheme to be done and open by then.

Probably for a footpath. Put them in at the new roundabout at Scarwalsh anyway.

• Advertisement

There's a kind of reinforced barrier along part of the new Slaney bridge over the railway section. It must have been insisted on by Iarnroid Eireann as it's only the part of the bridge over the tracks that has it.

What's the road from Scarwalsh to Templescoby?
    Duel Carriageway or two lane?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kneemos wrote: »
    What's the road from Scarwalsh to Templescoby?
    Duel Carriageway or two lane?

M11-Scarawalsh is 2+2
    Scarawalsh-Templescoby is single carriageway

More line painting complete on the mainline and road signs erected in the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Any news on an exact opening day?

morrga wrote: »

I was told it's the middle of July.

Surfacing on the roundabout at Southern end near Oylegate is almost complete. The roundabout will probably be done by tomorrow evening or Saturday.

Serious crash near the works at Clogh roundabout today. A truck was involved which subsequently caught fire and the driver was seriously injured. There's a 50kph limit there and all kinds of traffic management in place. Someone not paying attention would be my guess.

Serious crash near the works at Clogh roundabout today. A truck was involved which subsequently caught fire and the driver was seriously injured. There's a 50kph limit there and all kinds of traffic management in place. Someone not paying attention would be my guess.

Fatality apparently.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2019/06/22/m11-closed-after-fatal-road-traffic-collision/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

morrga wrote: »

9th of July I was told last night by one of the workers. All heavy machinery to be off site by Monday the 1st, all workers getting a week off from the 9th. Remedial works to continue until the end of the year, drainage,clean up etc. They aren't allowed work inside the barriers and no traffic restrictions either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

It's all most ready to go (pics fb)
    lULq28z.jpg

MbzykK4.jpg

CQG8mLl.jpg

Vhuedvg.jpg

W4I8c0Q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Looks like the 2+2 link road is to be designated N30, not N80 as previously stated.
    Makes much more sense; having a National Primary, the N30, starting on a National Secondary, the N80 seemed odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I noticed coming from Ferns there are signs for New Ross as you come to Scarawalsh, then you enter the second roundabout and there's nothing for New Ross on it, very confusing for strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thethinker

If travelling from Enniscorthy to Ferns, how should one navigate the double roundabout at Scarawalsh. I am doing right (inside lane) for both, but frequently have cars on my left (outside) when exitting second roundabout i.e. cars that don't turn off for Bunclody. As there is only one lane on exit, it is kind of important that there be a recognised standard. I can see an argument for being in either lane. Therefore some lane direction road markings would be handy, so that at least most of us could be on the same page.

thethinker wrote: »
    If travelling from Enniscorthy to Ferns, how should one navigate the double roundabout at Scarawalsh. I am doing right (inside lane) for both, but frequently have cars on my left (outside) when exitting second roundabout i.e. cars that don't turn off for Bunclody. As there is only one lane on exit, it is kind of important that there be a recognised standard. I can see an argument for being in either lane. Therefore some lane direction road markings would be handy, so that at least most of us could be on the same page.

Can't remember if the second roundabout used to have two lanes on entry. One for Bunclody and straight ahead.
    May be where the confusion is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

Why are they still putting lay-bys on Motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

medoc wrote: »
    Lorry drivers need a break every 4 and a half hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Is there a lay-by on the new section of the M11? What is in the photo above may be closed off when it opens, and for the use of Gardai and for checks etc. There is a service area 20 minutes up the road past Gorey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Good question! I seem to remember they used to do it before the MSAs were planned. At the very least, they should plan rest areas at junctions - a small car park, a few picnic tables and bins. These lay-bys are not safe: they're vulnerable to vehicles leaving the carriageway in the event of a collision, and they have limited room/lane length for vehicles to merge safely at motorway speeds. It's a blessing that there have been no such accidents yet, but TII shouldn't wait around for one to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

fricatus wrote: »
    Good question! I seem to remember they used to do it before the MSAs were planned. At the very least, they should plan rest areas at junctions - a small car park, a few picnic tables and bins. These lay-bys are not safe: they're vulnerable to vehicles leaving the carriageway in the event of a collision, and they have limited room/lane length for vehicles to merge safely at motorway speeds. It's a blessing that there have been no such accidents yet, but TII shouldn't wait around for one to happen.

Lay-bys are better than nothing........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭prunudo

I always liked those little picnic spots they have along the road network around Europe. Wouldn't fancy stopping too long in the laybys we have here.

There is a 'recognised' standard. Its in the rules of the road. You should be in the left hand lane on both roundabouts to go straight ahead. Exceptions to the rule will be marked - ie two lane approach where the the left lane is clearly marked left turn/1st exit only, often in urban settings.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/Roundabouts_DL_2012_v3.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lay-bys are better than nothing........

Well no actually, they're worse than nothing, because of the dangers I've referred to. A small rest area at every junction, well out of the way of fast-moving vehicles - that would be better than nothing, I agree.

Of course, better again would be something that passed the "lone woman traveller" test: a basic, well-lit rest area, with a car park, tables, bins, public toilets and of course CCTV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

There is a 'recognised' standard. Its in the rules of the road. You should be in the left hand lane on both roundabouts to go straight ahead. Exceptions to the rule will be marked - ie two lane approach where the the left lane is clearly marked left turn/1st exit only, often in urban settings.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/Roundabouts_DL_2012_v3.pdf

Well, in this particular case, that's exactly the problem, rather than the answer.

Prior to the roadworks, the system if you were heading northbound at the Scarawalsh roundabout was to take the left-hand lane for Bunclody/Carlow, and the right-hand lane for Ferns/Gorey/etc. This was clearly indicated with signage and road markings.

But now those signs and road markings have been removed, at least temporarily. It means that some people who are familiar with the road are still doing what was the 'correct' thing all along. However, others are now doing the 'correct' thing according to the ROTR, which you point to yourself. And as I say, that's exactly the problem.

I drive home from work that way every evening. I'm just hoping they put signage and road markings back before too long, one way or the other, just to clear up the confusion that currently exists.

Well no actually, they're worse than nothing, because of the dangers I've referred to. A small rest area at every junction, well out of the way of fast-moving vehicles - that would be better than nothing, I agree.

Of course, better again would be something that passed the "lone woman traveller" test: a basic, well-lit rest area, with a car park, tables, bins, public toilets and of course CCTV.

Is that not what the services are for? They are only down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is that not what the services are for? They are only down the road.

there are 2 full service areas on the N11 which is probably sufficient given the length of the route. Also unlike in France etc the towns on the route are mostly very close to the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thethinker

And when people joining from the motorway also want to go to Ferns, they will be in the inside (right) lane as they are turning right (4th exit I think). Very messy when only one lane to exit into going to Ferns.

And when people joining from the motorway also want to go to Ferns, they will be in the inside (right) lane as they are turning right (4th exit I think). Very messy when only one lane to exit into going to Ferns.

Not sure there's two lanes on the first roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Indeed. The thoughts of a child accidentally straying onto the main carriageway from one of these is enough to make me nauseous....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

This might be just a misreading/misremembering on my part, I'm open to correction ...

During the time when we built the greatest number of motorways in Ireland, they were often held up due to planning objections, etc. The NRA came up with a great strategy to get around this - instead of planning "motorways" what were planned and built were HQDCs which were then "converted" to motorway by Ministerial Order. This made the construction process much faster. However, one part of the HQDC design is that lay-bys must be provided.

I'm not sure if that's exactly right, but it is my recollection ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy scheme is being built under motorway order rather than redesignation after construction.

What's more relevant is that this scheme got planning permission in 2010 when these laybys where the order of the day and it's being built as planned. Whether these laybys will be open or barriered off is a more important question.

Sometimes you'd forget that this scheme (and others like it) are relics from the FF roadbuilding era that just weren't built. The New Ross bypass was approved by ABP in 2008.

There is a piece in the Wexford People today about. It looks like there was a car stopped in the hard shoulder which was hit by a truck.
    A COMMUNITY is in mourning following the terrible loss of 30-year-old Philip O’Connor from Oylegate in a road accident on the M11 outside Gorey on Saturday afternoon.

The scene of the accident on the northbound section of the M11 just off the Clogh roundabout which claimed the life of Philip O’Connor .
    Mr O’Connor, who worked in Intel in Leixlip, lost his life after a truck collided with his vehicle at around 2.10 p.m.

It is believed the car was parked on the hard shouldernear the Clogh roundabout outside Gorey at the time. The collision caused the vehicle to ignite and Mr O’Connor sustained fatal injuries.

img?regionguid=091719c8-ea4c-4fbb-890c-fdcf43ba1c61&scale=125&file=62142019062500000000001001&regionKey=dJhd7LTB53oUNpYoR%2fmJ7w%3d%3d

RIP

VR6 wrote: »
    Indeed. The thoughts of a child accidentally straying onto the main carriageway from one of these is enough to make me nauseous....

But wouldn't you stop at the services a few miles up the road instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

jd wrote: »
    There is a piece in the Wexford People today about. It looks like there was a car stopped in the hard shoulder which was hit by a truck.
    RIP

I passed by that southbound on Saturday at about 16:30. 2 fire brigades and emergency services sitting on the grass. It had the look of something bad. Horrible to hear and such a tragedy, once or twice in an emergency I've thought about stopping on the side of a motorway like that, never again.
    RIP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have seen so many videos of the US freeways where people stop on the hard shoulder only to be hit by some lunatic.

If ever I have to stop on a motorway, (not often), I always take the view to get off the hard shoulder completely and park on the grass if I can. It is lethal to stop on the hard shoulder, and should be avoided if possible.

Drivers on the motorway assume that they are invincible and misjudge everything, particularly stationary vehicles. They are often in a reduced state of attention and easily distracted, and are often near stupor - not a lot happens on a motorway until it is an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

jd wrote: »
    Is there a lay-by on the new section of the M11? What is in the photo above may be closed off when it opens, and for the use of Gardai and for checks etc. There is a service area 20 minutes up the road past Gorey.

Yes it might indeed be closed off or restricted when the road opens. The M6 near the Tullamore exit has them still (both directions). And I’ve seen kids etc standing around the stopped cars on more than one occasion Fair enough the M6 was built as HQDC but this is built as Motorway so should not be opened with a lay-by. There is no stopping on a motorway unless an emergency and it should be enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    this scheme got planning permission in 2010 when these laybys where the order of the day and it's being built as planned. Whether these laybys will be open or barriered off is a more important question.
    That's fair enough that they are being built as planned, but in the recent schemes I've seen, the laybys are barriered off. Which makes you wonder - why bother with them at all? Surely the design could be altered to remove the laybys without impinging too much?

serfboard wrote: »
    Surely the design could be altered to remove the laybys without impinging too much?

BAM love changes :)

Alternative layby use

checkpoint.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mother of god. What's the story behind that?
    They must have known in advance that they were going to catch loads to have that many guards in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement