Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beer league

Options
  • 21-01-2009 10:22pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think we should make up 4 divisions with 20 beers in each, and sticky it obviously with each division being a marker for the type of quality etc.
    mostly because I think it would be fun but also for anyone who wants to get a few names in one quick link, I also think it would just be a good aul beer debate anyway I'll just show an example of what I'm on about (and the beers in this are only some of my opinions, and of course "good beer" is subjective)

Prem:
    Liefmans Goudenband
    Maredsous 8
    Gueze Boon
    Mc Chouffre
    Westmalle Triple

Champ
    Fraziskaner
    Watou's Wit
    Goose Island Indian Pale Ale
    Chimay
    Duvel

League 1
    Erdinger
    Hoegaarden
    Leffe Blonde
    Sam Adams
    Brooklyn ale

League 2
    Guinness
    Innis & Gunn
    Spitfire
    Budvar
    Beamish Red

Non league
    Bud
    Ken
    Carlsberg
    Dutch
    Miller
    Stella
    Coors (soft bastards)
    Amstel
    Tuborg
    Harp
    essentially any "beer" falvoured fizzy ****
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

good idea, but for everyone the top leagues would be different, non league for yours is accurate though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    good idea, but for everyone the top leagues would be different, non league for yours is accurate though

couldn't agree more that's why it could make for some good debate - maybe I'm talking ****e but I reckon it would be fun if you had even just 5/10 people or whoever talking over the finer points of different beers and why the merit being higher up or why relegation is looming.
    say for me Hoegaarden for quite a while was my beer of choice literally my favourite, but look where I have it because after getting more into heavy stronger beers I go back to it and find it really lacking in anything etc. etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think Guinness Extra Stout makes League 1, but Guinness Draught is deffo non-league. It takes a lot of work to make a stout that bland.

Keeping it to Irish-brewed beers permanently available here, I reckon I'd have:

Prem
    Clotworthy Dobbin
    Galway Hooker
    Guinness Special Export
    O'Hara's Stout (bottled)
    Wrassler's XXXX

Champ
    Belfast Ale
    Brainblásta
    Friar Weiss
    Guinness Foreign Extra
    MM Plain
    Porterhouse Plain

League 1
    Blarney Blonde
    Guinness Extra Stout
    MM Rusty
    Murphy's
    O'Hara's Red
    O'Hara's Stout (draught)
    Oyster Stout
    Porterhouse Red

League 2
    Beamish Red
    Curim
    Macardle's
    Mao Lager
    MM Weiss
    Rebel Red
    Shandon Stout
    Temple Brau
    TSB

Non-league
    Amstel
    Beamish Stout
    Belfast Lager
    Bud
    Carlsberg
    Chiller
    Coors Light
    Fosters
    Guinness Draught
    Harp
    Heineken
    Hersbrucker
    Kilkenny
    Miller
    MM Haus
    Rebel Lager
    Smithwick's

BeerNut wrote: »
    Keeping it to Irish-brewed beers permanently available here, I reckon I'd have

Brilliant stuff, While Galway Hooker has never really hit the spot for me there's plenty to go on there, and I think it's mostly fair.
    I think Brainblásta would definately be there or there abouts for being in the top league and Guinness Draught as said is doomed to mix it with the other mass-market brain-washed drivel.

I must own up to having a soft spot for kilkenny :o I don't know why I think it's probably because after work when I get home my roommate sometimes has them in the fridge so I've convinced myself I like it.

I would also have to add that I find O'Hara's red lacking in everything but then I suppose you have put it in League 1 - while a pint of beamish red in cork for me is quite drinkable.

What helped me put it together was imagining bringing a beer fan from abroad around my haunts. Which beers would I be proud to say: "Drink this, it's Irish", which would be "They make this, it's OK", and which "That one's at your own risk: be warned".

I don't drink much O'Hara's Red so it was hard to place. I have a bottle in the cupboard. I may relegate it after I drink that.

I did a blind tasting on Kilkenny and Beamish Red once and they are definitely not in the same league. I cannot distinguish a single flavour in Kilkenny: I think it is Ireland's blandest beer. But if it's free...

• Advertisement

I did a blind tasting on Kilkenny and Beamish Red once and they are definitely not in the same league. I cannot distinguish a single flavour in Kilkenny: I think it is Ireland's blandest beer. But if it's free...

Haha oh god I didn't mean to come across as though I thought kilkenny was ever close to beamish red,
    On reflection I should of maybe made more sense by saying that Kilkenny is still a fairly sizeable step away from the likes of bud, but then again that's no great compliment, and that for me I'd take a beamish red over many of the drinks on the list.

But 100% that is how I would love to see people rating there beers a really good way to look at it.

I'm going to lash into the galway hooker in the Bierhaus this weekend because I don't think I've given it a fair crack of the whip.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think we should make up 4 divisions with 20 beers in each, and sticky it obviously with each division being a marker for the type of quality etc.
    mostly because I think it would be fun but also for anyone who wants to get a few names in one quick link, I also think it would just be a good aul beer debate anyway I'll just show an example of what I'm on about (and the beers in this are only some of my opinions, and of course "good beer" is subjective)

Prem:
    Liefmans Goudenband
    Maredsous 8
    Gueze Boon
    Mc Chouffre
    Westmalle Triple

Champ
    Fraziskaner
    Watou's Wit
    Goose Island Indian Pale Ale
    Chimay
    Duvel

League 1
    Erdinger
    Hoegaarden
    Leffe Blonde
    Sam Adams
    Brooklyn ale

League 2
    Guinness
    Innis & Gunn
    Spitfire
    Budvar
    Beamish Red

Non league
    Bud
    Ken
    Carlsberg
    Dutch
    Miller
    Stella
    Coors (soft bastards)
    Amstel
    Tuborg
    Harp
    essentially any "beer" falvoured fizzy ****

GUINNESS AT THE BOTTOM? No mention of Staropramen, Spaten? You'll never get any kind of consensus here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I don't drink much O'Hara's Red so it was hard to place.

I was disappointed with the red, especially after tasting their stout. In fact, once im done with the Budvar i will go have my last bottle :D Need to shift the cat though, she decided now was the time to cuddle.

Its still a very nice beer though. Compared to Kilkenny its like Ambrosia.

GUINNESS AT THE BOTTOM?
    Personally I can't think of a blander stout. Can you?

And I had a bottle of O'Hara's Red from the shelf last night and stand by its position in League Division 1: it has a wonderfully full body and crystal malt character that puts it well ahead of my Division 2 ales.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Personally I can't think of a blander stout. Can you?

What stouts would you consider better? For a start, it completely depends on where you get the Guinness - some places are great others are dire. I get the impression that you're referring to some "Farmer Joe's Drop o' the Pure" type rare stout that they only make 500 bottles of every 10 years, but to be honest, I've never had a nicer stout than Guinness.
    And I had a bottle of O'Hara's Red from the shelf last night and stand by its position in League Division 1: it has a wonderfully full body and crystal malt character that puts it well ahead of my Division 2 ales.

O'Hara's is nice, but it's no rebel red.

• Advertisement

What stouts would you consider better?
    All of them except Beamish, which I can't tell from Guinness. Any stout served on nitro tastes of nearly-nothing. That's the point of nitro.
    For a start, it completely depends on where you get the Guinness - some places are great others are dire.
    I find some are tasteless, some are dire. What does great Guinness taste of to you?
    I get the impression that you're referring to some "Farmer Joe's Drop o' the Pure" type rare stout that they only make 500 bottles of every 10 years, but to be honest, I've never had a nicer stout than Guinness.
    My mainstream stout of choice is O'Hara's, from the bottle, at room or cellar temperature -- lovely dry roasted barley character on a heavy body. Of the nitro draughts I think the chocolate malt in Murphys gives it a sweet flavour which is a big advantage over the no-flavour of draught Guinness. Guinness Foreign Extra has a lovely sour woody taste and the thicker texture which puts it several steps ahead of draught Guinness.

No farmers. No purity. Just flavour.

And still no answer to my question: which stouts would you consider blander than Guinness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

gotta have lech in there somewhere!

On the matter of Guinness (on tap), yes it is very bland compared to some other stouts.
    On the other hand, i was staying at the Bewleys Hotel Dublin Airport and the Munster game was on (they won). After Dinner (with wine) we went to the bar and I ordered a Kilkenny. It goes down easy but there is little to no flavour. So i ordered a Guinness next and the difference in flavour was immediate. The Guinness was packed with a roast yumminess compared to the Kilkenny. Now maybe the Guinness at the bar was just a very good pint but i think if you compare Guinness to other blander beers then yes, it will seem like a champion beer.

However if you compare it to other stouts or porters that are more flavoursome then you will notice a difference and not consider Guinness to be all that great.
    O' Haras would be way up there in my opinion, Its certainly the best i have ever had. I have heard great things about the porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX so i must have that some time.

As for Lech, it is drinkable but i would not put it higher than League 2 and personally i might include in the non-league.
    It is probably like the Polish version of Miller or Bud, a mass produced "premium" :D beer that is ok but not worth mentioning. I had one last week so it is pretty fresh in my memory and what i remember was not worth remembering so to speak.

I find some are tasteless, some are dire. What does great Guinness taste of to you?

There's a wide variety of pints, but the best pints are either creamy or have a strong bitter taste. While all stouts have a particular distinct taste, I like the taste of guinness better than most. Perhaps this is due to my upbringing, but that's how it goes.

Some views expressed here.
    My mainstream stout of choice is O'Hara's, from the bottle, at room or cellar temperature -- lovely dry roasted barley character on a heavy body. Of the nitro draughts I think the chocolate malt in Murphys gives it a sweet flavour which is a big advantage over the no-flavour of draught Guinness. Guinness Foreign Extra has a lovely sour woody taste and the thicker texture which puts it several steps ahead of draught Guinness.

Never had O'Hara's stout, but will give it a go. Murphys in Dublin is awful and has a nasty aftertaste. Murphys is Cork is alright but doesn't have the same strength of flavour as Guinness. Sour woody taste sounds good for a whiskey, but for a stout I'm not so sure.
    And still no answer to my question: which stouts would you consider blander than Guinness?

Murphys & beamish are a poor man's guinness. Porterhouse oyster & chocolate truffle stout might have a more striking flavour, but that in no way makes them better. Midleton must seem very bland compared to Laphroaig, but I'd take the Midleton any day of the week, so having strong flavours counts for little if that flavour isn't pleasant.

Everyone has a different taste. I like Shepherd Naeme's Spitfire while Beer Nut does not, or at least finds it dull.
    Its not as good as their Bishops Finger but it is still one of the better beers i have tasted.

Thats just my opinion though and at the end of the day, it only counts for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout not make the list, very very good
    What stouts would you consider better? For a start, it completely depends on where you get the Guinness - some places are great others are dire. I get the impression that you're referring to some "Farmer Joe's Drop o' the Pure" type rare stout that they only make 500 bottles of every 10 years, but to be honest, I've never had a nicer stout than Guinness

Wrasslers 4X Stout for one readily available in Dublin city center and its even nitro:P

Coopers extra stout and Sierra Nevada Stout are nearly massed produced and are some what available

Not a fan of the Cooper's, but Sierra Nevada Stout is magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Guinness Foreign Extra has a lovely sour woody taste and the thicker texture which puts it several steps ahead of draught Guinness.

Not a patch on the Special Export, though!!

It appears to be getting harder and harder to find!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

oblivious wrote: »
    It appears to be getting harder and harder to find!

RIP Eurobeers!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

IMO Guiness Draught is not a patch on either the Guinness Special Export, O'Haras Stout. If only there was a wider choice available:(:( I would opt for these all the time

But there is -- it's just a question of knowing where to look.

Bottled Guinness is also much better than draught and is a lot more readily available in pubs than the other stouts mentioned. And it's another beer which I'd say is marked for extinction if people don't drink it. I find it's always worth asking if there's bottled Guinness if nothing better than draught appears to be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I have not had an opportunity to drink all these Irish brewed beers, but my meagre league goes something like this:

Prem:

Galway Hooker (See this in more and more places, good to see)
    Wrassler's XXXX (I love this stuff, it is how a good stout should taste)
    Messers Plain (Not as good as Wrasslers, but still excellent)

Champ:

O'Hara's Stout
    Guinness Extra Stout
    Guinness Foreign Extra
    Porterhouse Red
    Brainblasta

League 1:

O'Hara's Red
    TSB
    Macardles

League 2:

Guinness draught (its rubbish, only not quite as rubbish as fizzy beer.)
    Beamish (I quite like it out of a can for some strange reason)

Guinness Extra stout is good, it has a similar mouthfeel to O'Haras but less flavour.

Really need to try Wrasslers. Im kicking myself that i did not try it last time. I had Oyster stout instead.

Right I might get lambasted for this but has anyone had Sam Adams Cream Stout?

I'm not sure if it's even still possible to get here but I bought a couple of crates of it about a year ago and went to town on it - was really flavoursome.

At the weekend I took your advice and had some Galway Hooker in the Bierhaus, good yes, great? not for me, I found it tasted pretty ****e up front but left a wonderful aftertaste.

I also stopped into abbots and had 2/3 pints of Kwak on drught and will comfortably say it's the best drink I've had outside of Belgium, I was almost crying while drinking it.

Amsterdam in 3 days from now, the beer will be mighty, with a few tips I got from a certain beer blog.

Amsterdam in 3 days from now, the beer will be mighty, with a few tips I got from a certain beer blog.

This is one of the best by Ron patterson and one a lot of other bloggers get the information from;)

Amsterdam Pub Guide
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/amspubs8.htm

Dutch Pub Guide, the best beer bars, pubs and brewpubs
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/hollpubs.htm

Also the Beer mapping project for the Netherlands

http://beermapping.com/maps/maps.php?m=netherlands

Hope this is of help

Right I might get lambasted for this but has anyone had Sam Adams Cream Stout?

I'm not sure if it's even still possible to get here but I bought a couple of crates of it about a year ago and went to town on it - was really flavoursome
    Yeah. Wasn't that keen. They do a Holiday Porter as well, which is sublime, but I've not seen it around in ages. And their Black Lager is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Back to the original topic, instead of a league how about a knockout cup competition?

For example, if we used TBN's Irish brewed beer list, someone makes a draw, and posts up the 'ties'. People then post their favourite from each tie, with, say a four day deadline. Then all the winners of that round go back into the hat for the second round draw etc., until we get to a final and a winner. Just for a bit of fun, but it might also get a bit of debate going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Ignoring the fact that I killed this thread with my suggestion, I'm going to plough along anyway. If people want to join in, then great; if not then I'll admit the thread is dead.

I took TheBeerNut's list of Irish brewed beers, dumped the bottom 26 from his impartial league tables into a random list generator, and the result becomes the draw for the first round. 19 byes into the second round should give us an even 32. From then on there will be no byes or seeding.
    Simply pick your favourite from each tie. I'll give it until after the weekend before starting round 2.

Beamish Red v Amstel
    Guinness Draught v Temple Brau
    Carlsberg v Belfast Lager
    Beamish Stout v Rebel Lager
    Miller v Chiller
    Rebel Red v Heineken
    Hersbrucker v MM Haus
    Curim v Macardle's
    Smithwick's v Shandon Stout
    Bud v Mao Lager
    Kilkenny v TSB
    Fosters v Harp
    MM Weiss v Coors Light

Bye to next round:
    Clotworthy Dobbin
    Galway Hooker
    Guinness Special Export
    O'Hara's Stout (bottled)
    Wrassler's XXXX
    Belfast Ale
    Brainblásta
    Friar Weiss
    Guinness Foreign Extra
    MM Plain
    Porterhouse Plain
    Blarney Blonde
    Guinness Extra Stout
    MM Rusty
    Murphy's
    O'Hara's Red
    O'Hara's Stout (draught)
    Oyster Stout
    Porterhouse Red

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

noby wrote: »
    Ignoring the fact that I killed this thread with my suggestion, I'm going to plough along anyway. If people want to join in, then great; if not then I'll admit the thread is dead.

I took TheBeerNut's list of Irish brewed beers, dumped the bottom 26 from his impartial league tables into a random list generator, and the result becomes the draw for the first round. 19 byes into the second round should give us an even 32. From then on there will be no byes or seeding.
    Simply pick your favourite from each tie. I'll give it until after the weekend before starting round 2.

Ok I'll Bite:

Beamish Red v Amstel Beamish Red
    Guinness Draught v Temple Brau Guinness
    Carlsberg v Belfast Lager Belfast Lager
    Beamish Stout v Rebel Lager Beamish
    Miller v Chiller chiller
    Rebel Red v Heineken Rebel Red
    Hersbrucker v MM Haus MM Haus
    Curim v Macardle's Macardles
    Smithwick's v Shandon Stout Shandon
    Bud v Mao Lager Mao
    Kilkenny v TSB TSB