Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not quite retro but I picked up Skate the other day. Bit of a learning curve and I hear Skate 2 is better but I did enjoy it when it came out. As frustrating as it was at times!
    beejee wrote: »
    Not exactly retro (but related to retro!), playing the resident evil 2 remake. Only have an hour or two each night max, but what a game!

Has a few drawbacks compared to the original, but the best modern game ive played in years and years. Actually looking forward eagerly to playing it each time :)

I'm about halfway through Leon's campaign myself, liking it so far. Don't really have to worry about inventory management too much and there isn't any mad puzzles or anything. I enjoy looking around and sussing things out.

It's not particularly scary or anything but the absolute stress of being followed!

Had to drive out to Smyths in Carrickmines to get it as it was sold out everywhere. On a side note, the car park was stop and go busy, but there's bloody free underground parking on the Harvey Norman side...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ys: VIII is so much better than decent. It's an absolutely cracking ARPG.

I'd highly recommend it. The Ys games are fantastic. The combat is just insanely fast and fun and it's way more action than RPG. Nobody does ARPG better than Falcom.

Bought that this morning, last day it's on sale so figured I'd finally get it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Was playing some C64 last night.

Buggy Boy
    Ghost N Goblins
    Stunt Car Racer
    Encounter
    New Zealand Story
    Outrun+
    Outrun Europa
    Draconus
    Nebulus
    Turrican 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Bought that this morning, last day it's on sale so figured I'd finally get it. :)

Where's it on sale? thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

sweetie wrote: »
    Where's it on sale? thanks

On the e-shop, down to €41 approx. Sale ends today (06/02) it says. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've been playing Wonderboy in Monster Land on my Megadrive - really enjoying it so far.
    I recently took my old megadrive off the attic and cleaned it up, installed the 50/60 Hz switch and got an Everdrive X3:
    IMG-20190209-114757.jpg
    IMG-20190209-114732.jpg
    IMG-20190209-114706.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It looks so new , makes me nostalgic seeing that absolutely loved mine was my 1st proper console

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Love Monster Land, and Monster Lair as a matter of fact that's very underrated.

Went to Arcade Club on Sunday. It was phenomenal but I also had a phenomenal hangover so didn't even scratch the surface on what they had to offer. Highlights were all the weird Japanese music games, Hot Rod and all the other obscurities I'd never played before. It was hard get on any racing cabs and Crisis Zone the game I was most excited about was pretty much the only machine was down. Pinball tables weren't in great shape mind you. Definitely need to go back less hungover with a couple of buddies. Would make a good forum day out lads flights and accommodation are cheap as chips after all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Love Monster Land, and Monster Lair as a matter of fact that's very underrated.

Went to Arcade Club on Sunday. It was phenomenal but I also had a phenomenal hangover so didn't even scratch the surface on what they had to offer. Highlights were all the weird Japanese music games, Hot Rod and all the other obscurities I'd never played before. It was hard get on any racing cabs and Crisis Zone the game I was most excited to play was pretty the only machine was down. Pinball tables weren't in great shape mind you. Definitely need to go back less hungover with a couple of buddies. Would make a good forum day out lads flights and accommodation are cheap as chips after all.

Next beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dug out my Nomad last night for a few games of Gunstar Heroes.

Playing the Switch non stop for the last while has made the Nomad screen feel like a absolute postage stamp :D

Battery in it is still going strong. I actually dug the console out originally to make sure I still had the charger for it, it's been that long since I've actually used it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Dug out my Nomad last night for a few games of Gunstar Heroes.

Playing the Switch non stop for the last while has made the Nomad screen feel like a absolute postage stamp :D

Battery in it is still going strong. I actually dug the console out originally to make sure I still had the charger for it, it's been that long since I've actually used it!

Did you do the screen mod?
    I take it from the battery comment that you've done that!

It's a chunky monster of a console, but it is lovely to slot that Genesis/MD cart in the back and play, I still find playing Virtua Racing on it astonishing.

edit: You should probably get a Turbo Express as well!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Did you do the screen mod?
    I take it from the battery comment that you've done that!

It's a chunky monster of a console, but it is lovely to slot that Genesis/MD cart in the back and play, I still find playing Virtua Racing on it astonishing.

edit: You should probably get a Turbo Express as well!

Yeah that Enternow chap did the screen/battery and region mod many moons ago.

If I remember correctly, the LCD screen at the time came from a reverse camera monitor you could buy for your car on Dealextreme :D

Actually I just did a search through my emails as a matter of interest and I bought the components for that mod in 2010 - almost ten years ago! Where the feck does the time go :eek:

The Turbo Express is one handheld that I just haven't managed to pick up over the years. Not sure if I've even played one in person. How big is the screen compared to the Nomad/Gamegear? About the same size?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

almost ten years ago!

Wow, almost a decade ago. We only really live 8 of those at best! :o:(

Master of the Universe

Jaysus, well that puts life into perspective :eek::pac:

I bought that Nomad in 2005 as a 'Retro' console, but more time has passed from 2005 to now than between 1995 (when the console was released) and 2005 when I bought it.

Are we in some kind of 'post retro' era now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Had to set up my old wii for nieces and nephews a while ago so I’m going to use it as a chance to go back to some games I missed. Started Another Code: R it’s nice enough looking. I like the presentation of it a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Turbo Express is one handheld that I just haven't managed to pick up over the years. Not sure if I've even played one in person. How big is the screen compared to the Nomad/Gamegear? About the same size?

I've got one, married to a Turbo Everdive.
    You can give it a whirl next time you're at a Beers!

Jaysus, well that puts life into perspective :eek::pac:

I bought that Nomad in 2005 as a 'Retro' console, but more time has passed from 2005 to now than between 1995 (when the console was released) and 2005 when I bought it.

Are we in some kind of 'post retro' era now? :D

I got my first Nomad in 98, seems like a billion years ago!
    Traded it for a VB!
    Then, a couple of years later, got another Nomad.
    They really are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I got my first Nomad in 98, seems like a billion years ago!
    Traded it for a VB!
    Then, a couple of years later, got another Nomad.
    They really are fantastic.

My highlight was playing Virtua Racing on it for about 10 seconds in 2 player with a controller plugged in for player 2 with another A&R member who's username I can't remember at the beers in your place.

It was at the end of the night when we were just leaving, but the wow factor was great.

Doge wrote: »
    My highlight was playing Virtua Racing on it for about 10 seconds in 2 player with a controller plugged in for player 2 with another A&R member who's username I can't remember at the beers in your place.

It was at the end of the night when we were just leaving, but the wow factor was great.

I can't wait for the Switch edition of it to arrive, it looks like a straight port of the arcade game but I think they might be including some other bits too.
    But even the base arcade game, at 60fps, would be incredible!

Master of the Universe

Had a moment last night where I realised I'm currently at the end of Mario 3D Land, Metroid Prime, BOTW and Doom 2016 - but have been putting off actually finishing each one for whatever reason.

Murdered the hell out of the Spider Mastermind last night, so that's Doom finished.

Going to pop back to Metroid Prime this evening, sort out the Omega Pirate and try to finish the remainder of that too.

Mario 3D Land I need a few stars to unlock the final stage and BOTW everything is done, Gannon needs to be sent on his way.

Bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as my new Switch title to move onto after Doom, so need to get all of the above done or it's not going to happen once that arrives!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Spent 5 hours playing Metroid Prime this evening. (Bloody artifacts took longer to find than I thought they would!)

Got up to the final form of the last boss and just had to give up for now. 5 hours of Wiimote controls and my hand and neck are in tatters!

Really annoying as I was determined to finish it this evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found the last boss of Metroid Prime quite difficult until I got the super ice missiles. The ice weapon is kind of pants against him but upgraded and it makes that phase so much easier. Means you go into the final form with a bit more health.

Master of the Universe

Yeah when that boss changes into the ice form, the ice beam really is slow and useless for landing attacks. Especially as it absolutely mills into you at this point with his own ice attack.

Can't remember if I have the ice missiles, will have a look. Am tempted to have another go after work this evening, however my neck is still killing me today from the Wiimote :eek:

It's a fantastic control scheme to explore the game, but really doesn't lend itself to repetitive boss battles.

If you are missing them they are, iirc,
    under a bridge tunnel in the lava place. Scan it and make a hole in it. Think it's a super bomb you need, reminiscent of the noob tube everyone gets stuck in in Super Metroid.

Master of the Universe

Excellent! I must have them and just never used them, definitely remember bombing that tunnel and picking up a powerup underneath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

Don't have much time for gaming now and I play only one game from Drakemall right now. I checked reviews about it on drakemall.info before playing. I can get cool items while playing so I play it amost on a daily basis. I like easy games with interesting plot.

One of my great shames is not completing Metroid Prime, I just couldn't crack that final form of the last boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

One of my great shames is not completing Metroid Prime, I just couldn't crack that final form of the last boss.

I didn't even get that far. Drifted away from it and never went back. Twice! Getting the urge to break it out again. Not a fan of the Wii controls but it does work well for this.
    No sign of a Switch port no?

Master of the Universe

I've attempted to play through it about 4-5 times. Starting with the Gamecube version a couple of times and then the same with the Wii version.

It's one of those games that if you step away from for a while, it's hard to get back into - so you inadvertently end up starting from the beginning again.

Definitely worth sticking out, it's by far one of the best FPS games ever made and still really holds up well to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I've attempted to play through it about 4-5 times. Starting with the Gamecube version a couple of times and then the same with the Wii version.

It's one of those games that if you step away from for a while, it's hard to get back into - so you inadvertently end up starting from the beginning again.

Definitely worth sticking out, it's by far one of the best FPS games ever made and still really holds up well to this day.

Ya that's what happened to me. Stepped away and when I came back I'd forgotten what was going on and where everything was. A Switch port would be nice because I'd be more likely to sit and play it in the evening. Got it working on the Wii U gamepad screen but it's a bit small for comfortable play

Advertisement