Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cienciano wrote: »
    Great macro shot of a Grand Seiko on reddit today

The finishing detail on that is phenomenal, my Rolex doesn't look half as good in a macro shot

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

^^ That's sharp.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

There's a good few clocks up for auction next week if anybody is interested

http://www.victormitchell.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I made a post a while back about re-luming my Sinn as it'd had been left in a drawer by its previous owner for nearly the entirety of its life and the hands in particular had serious issues with dead spots and blotching.

Wibbs, our doyen of tinkering re: lumes did advise how difficult a job it could be.
    I thought with quite a bit of modelling and electronic soldering experience, that it couldn't be "that" tricky!

I was wrong!
    I've a head mounted magnifier/illuminator, I went and bought some extremely fine brushes and disassembled the watch to get to work!

Wibbs is right, its an absolute bollox of a job to to right!
    No matter what method I tried, brush marks in particular were a pain in the hole!

Then I hit upon an idea, the lume I'm using came in a syringe.
    I have some precision application tips for syringes, usually used for glues.

Tried it, and it worked :)
    For precise fill, excellent control and no brush marks.
    In dials with recessed lume location or with defined areas with a border, it gives an in my inexperienced opinion at least a great alternative to us poor brush handlers.

The tips I'm using are usually used for precision glue application in medical device construction.
    I have a pile of them, if anyone needs or wants any?
    Drop me a PM and I'll post some on.

Draw some of your preferred Lume into a syringe, fit the tip and drip, drip away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

All the watches James Bond wore in the films, pretty cool vid -

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

banie01 wrote: »
    its an absolute bollox of a job to to right!
    Oh yes it is B. Hence I only ever attempt lume that was originally done by hand in the early days of lume(or hands, they're easy). At least then if it goes badly it looks like the original painter had a bad day. :) The precision application tips is a great idea.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh yes it is B. Hence I only ever attempt lume that was originally done by hand in the early days of lume(or hands, they're easy). At least then if it goes badly it looks like the original painter had a bad day. :) The precision application tips is a great idea.

I just had the Mrs bring home a box of the extra fine ones today so I have a surfeit of them if anyone wants one ;)

The kinked tip on the dispensing tip gives great control of the fluid, it really is an ideal tool for "flood" application.

Happy to share as I have more than I'll ever use.

496173.jpg
    496174.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wrecked my Casio W753D-1AV tide graph at work, too much steam and IPA alcohol I think. Cheapo but it lasted 8 years, loved that watch. I went into Argos to get a cheap Casio while waiting for a proper G-Shock tide graph bargain to appear but decided to push the boat and get this for the extra fiver:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9106967/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CJewellery+and+watches%7C14416987/c_2/3%7Ccat_15701267%7CMen%27s+watches%7C14417316.htm

Bargain! Looks really good on my hand. I got rid of the horrible World Time and Illuminator wording by scrubbing it with IPA.

• Advertisement

By the way how often do G-Shocks with tide graphs or G-Shocks in general pop up as bargains or should I just bite the bullet and pay the going rate?

Thargor wrote: »
    By the way how often do G-Shocks with tide graphs or G-Shocks in general pop up as bargains or should I just bite the bullet and pay the going rate?

Hang on til black friday anyway you might get a better deal, Argos have this one that is pretty decent but fairly big -

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5532353/Trail/searchtext%3ECASIO+G+SHOCK.htm

it might go down a bit lower on amazon -
    https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Casio-G-Shock-GW-7900B-1ER-Watch-Black/product/B0039YOIH0

There's deals to be had all year round once you set up alerts on places like HUKD, camelcamelcamel etc. Around now (Nov/Dec) is often when the best deals are to be had, but they'll often be just for a few hours.

Have you a specific model in mind ?

Anything with a tide graph really, solar a plus, also radio control. Funkyouups one ticks all the boxes but I dont like the looks, something more metallic would be great.

Anything with a tide graph really, solar a plus, also radio control. Funkyouups one ticks all the boxes but I dont like the looks, something more metallic would be great.
    I don't think there's anything metallic with a tide-graph in the current line-up.

You could get a GLX5600 and mod it with an aftermarket steel bezel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Love the GLX-5600-1J for fishing. I refuse to buy them new and just pick them up from eBay for around $35.

First one is stock

vyey3ub.jpg

My second one, I picked up a new bezel and strap for $20. The grey bezel and strap are from the Hawaiian floral series.

h4TqrmZ.jpg

• Advertisement

HDMI wrote: »
    Love the GLX-5600-1J for fishing. I refuse to buy them new and just pick them up from eBay for around $35.

First one is stock

[img]https://i.imgur.com/vyey3ub.jpg[/ig] My second one, I picked up a new bezel and strap for $20. The grey bezel and strap are from the Hawaiian floral series.[/img]mg]
    Hmmm thats actually something to think about, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

HDMI wrote: »
    Repair, replacement will cost way more.

Pick up an NH36 and throw it in, about £30 from Cousins UK or $40 on eBay. .

Well, I eventually got round to having my orange monster repaired. I used a repair/upgrade service from ebay.
    I had the movement replaced with an NH36, new sapphire crystal and seals fitted, tested to 10 bar.
    It was more expense than I had planned, but I've enjoyed the watch for nearly 20 years. I thought about all the places I've been with it on diving trips and I figured the sentimental value was worth the spend.

I've also ordered a replacement bracelet for it, the flip lock on the old one pops off, this is the third bracelet for it.

496313.jpg

496315.jpg

496316.jpg

N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Quick question, Raymond Weil watches...

What's the opinion? Good or bad etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have had a few, I think they are well made and a lot of nice looking models. However they are not well though of amoung watch "snobs" and have dire second hand value.

Knowing what I know now I would avoid...what is your budget and what watch are you after many people can throw out a few good alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Thanks lads. I actually was just curious tbh as seen a few around and didn't know much about them.

A gen 2 v1 Bambino is all I've left to pick up myself as goes my own

• Advertisement

Well, a new disease has started, I bought a clock.:eek:

Big enough for Mrs. blue to say, and I quote 'Oh sweet Jesus' as I carried it into the kitchen. I found it's comrade on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/152501973655?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Damn

A German friend has done me the service of sourcing me a H-Link tegimented bracelet for the Sinn...

I just have to make sure Mrs Banie01 doesn't find out I just dropped 200 on a strap...
    She won't buy it being a 50% saving as an excuse

banie01 wrote: »
    A German friend has done me the service of sourcing me a H-Link tegimented bracelet for the Sinn...

I just have to make sure Mrs Banie01 doesn't find out I just dropped 200 on a strap...
    She won't buy it being a 50% saving as an excuse

I know that feeling:o It is easier hide a bracelet than a bloody big clock that I'm not allowed hang on a wall till the 25th of January. Something to do with feng shui :confused:

Enjoy the bracelet, looking for a Damasko one, but the €600 price tag for a new one is just crazy for a cheapskate farmer like me.

On the plus side I bought a used Barbour jacket on ebay and she hasn't copped it yet.......

well I do have 8 of them;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If anyone is looking for a new strap, Martu straps has a 30% discount on all items for black Friday
    https://www.martuleather.com/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I saw a watch on reddit today, Seiko SCVE003. I want it extremely badly, but they seem to be hard to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I saw a watch on reddit today, Seiko SCVE003. I want it extremely badly, but they seem to be hard to get.

I've been after one of these for a while. They do pop up occasionally but tend to be pricey. Still regret not getting one on release cause they were pretty cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭saccades

Lovely monster, i presume they used the movement stem spacer to keep the crown.

On my want list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭wandererz

This week, I had a fecker who reduced my asking price by saying that he would collect the same day then changed to next day & then said that he had to cancel because he dropped his camera.

Come to think about it....i'm going to leave a review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wild style :)
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    what is wrong with people on adverts.ie these days ?
    this week ive had one lunatic who everyone around here knows pretending to be bark and jack wanting to meet up for a face to face deal lol and now someone else moaning about my listing style

https://www.adverts.ie/19358196

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

OmegaGene wrote: »
    what is wrong with people on adverts.ie these days ?
    this week ive had one lunatic who everyone around here knows pretending to be bark and jack wanting to meet up for a face to face deal lol and now someone else moaning about my listing style

https://www.adverts.ie/19358196

Cleaned that ad up for you SWF

wandererz wrote: »
    This week, I had a fecker who reduced my asking price by saying that he would collect the same day then changed to next day & then said that he had to cancel because he dropped his camera.

Come to think about it....i'm going to leave a review
    Nothing worse than dropping your price for a quick sale and then it being a waster who pulls out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Adverts is full of time wasters/muppets and haven't used it in years.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

saccades wrote: »
    Lovely monster, i presume they used the movement stem spacer to keep the crown.

On my want list.
    He replaced the stem and I have a new signed crown. All the old parts came back with the watch.
    As it happens I have an unworn 1st gen monster on adverts. I wasn't sure if I wanted to repair or replace, ended up doing both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭saccades

Ah ffs...

If you can wait until 01 feb i'll buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

barrier86 wrote: »
    Think This is the right thread.

16 month old tag aquaracer had to be sent back to tag today. I took it off me over the weekend and went to wind it today but it was really stiff when I unscrewed the crown to wind it. About 4 rotations later the it becomes really easy to turn, but it wasn’t winding the movement.

Back to weirs today with it and they sent it off to tag.

Quite annoying as it’s still fairly new and within warranty.
    Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come from it.

Just a quick follow up. Got the watch back from weirs today. They said it was a full service, they also polished it for me. Another year warranty and they gave me the printout from the chronoscope which I find pretty cool. All in all about 3 weeks so not too bad at all

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/

20% off Hirsch straps for a few more hours. Shipping included in price, no discount code needed, taken off automatically at check out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Not anything super fancy but I really just like the look of these two Casio Edifice watches. I don't have any from that range in my collection as I've never really found a style I liked but I think these two are quite the lookers. They'll probably both end up in the collection but which one first folks?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079FKCKHT/?coliid=I39WI3SCQOWZBE&colid=2TGM19YIO46KL&psc=1

496887.JPG

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079FWBC1X/?coliid=I1Z10FYK9PB8W0&colid=2TGM19YIO46KL&psc=1

496888.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I really like the cream one, Im strongly considering it myself. I have another edifice that is too busy for me, but this is nice and clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I like those casios. Would I be able to change the strap for a Nato?

Ryath wrote: »
    Saw one of the new Seiko 5 divers with the SKX007 case last week in Belfast. Tried on the one on mesh. £270 said he'd do it for £240 without me even asking. Really liked the mesh bracelet. Didn't really like the white chapter ring though prefer the black or navy that are all one colour they don't come on mesh though. Still prefer the original SKXs but they are going for silly money now really should have bought one years ago. Will probably wait till these new Seiko 5s are available on creation for less than €200 preferably closer to the €150 mark!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=494853&stc=1&d=1573310954

See they are starting to drop in price on Amazon Uk Orange on a bracelet is cheapest at about €225 at the minute but some of them have been as low as €200 Have set up price trackers on a few preferred models (Use the Keepa browser extension it's brilliant for amazon you can see price history and compare prices across all amazon regions)

Preferred models are the Pepsi and Navy ones. The one I tried on above is growing on me though. If any get a good discount I'll probably bite. I'm really starting to like the green one SRPD77 with the textured dial the more pictures I see of it.

69074941_2804746782886175_1057218233120945001_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=111&oh=69accb25e18d04a7266bc4c24aabf125&oe=5E687DCA

Tried on the plain black one in jewellers in Dundalk last week he had this too. The new Seiko 5's are nice but not a patch on this SRPD21K1. Bit over my budget though :(

496900.jpg

They'll probably both end up in the collection but which one first folks?
    I prefer the cream dial. Though I'll often go with a steel-strap version of a watch when the price is close, just on account of how much easier it is to get a leather strap at a later date. Probably the wrong reason to choose something.

I'd vote cream too. I'd think the same about the bracelet too but at this price point it's unlikely to be great. Are they solid links? They actually look fairly well finished unlike the cheaper Seiko's with folded links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

shutup wrote: »
    I like those casios. Would I be able to change the strap for a Nato?

You could indeed.

• Advertisement

These look quite good, id have one over those new 5's, decent spec and looks.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Islander_Watches_s/2006.htm

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Not anything super fancy but I really just like the look of these two Casio Edifice watches. I don't have any from that range in my collection as I've never really found a style I liked but I think these two are quite the lookers. They'll probably both end up in the collection but which one first folks?

Another vote for the cream one, it's a much nicer piece

funkyouup wrote: »
    These look quite good, id have one over those new 5's, decent spec and looks.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Islander_Watches_s/2006.htm

They do look really good probably worth the 100 more, sapphire and ceramic bezel so a nice upgrade. At that price point though I’d go for a prospex I’d sooner have the genuine Seiko I think.

Id probably go for a prospex over one aswell to be fair. The guy behind Long Island watches is a cute hoor, seen a video where he said he knew about the SKX being discontinued from a meeting at Basel World so he had plenty of time to plan it out.
    Doubt id get another Seiko5, the one i have is comming up on a year old and the paint in the bezel markers is falling out from very little wear and the accuracy is all over the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

I seem to be in the minority but I would go blue!

• Advertisement
Advertisement