Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Very dark and wet this evening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Some fabulous orange hues in the south-western sky late this afternoon that were a real contrast to the grim greyness of yesterday and most of today. Happy to finally see the back of that slow moving weather front that left another good dollop of rain in these parts. Cooler air quite noticeable behind that weather front in Mayo this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Some fabulous orange hues in the south-western sky late this afternoon that were a real contrast to the grim greyness of yesterday and most of today. Happy to finally see the back of that slow moving weather front that left another good dollop of rain in these parts. Cooler air quite noticeable behind that weather front in Mayo this evening.

Yes, a lot of water- logged fields left in its aftermath. This dry spell is very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That was a strong front across the country today. Dewpoint reports at 10 am this morning show a very strong gradient, especially in Kerry, with a 4-degree difference between just Valentia and Kerry Airport, and a sharp windshift.

534089.png

534090.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cold night ahead with frost in places by morning
    10pm:
    Markree Castle 2 degrees
    Claremorris 3 degrees
    Knock 3
    Moorepark 3
    Mullingar 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blessedly quiet out here. The restless air has stilled.

West Mayo offshore

The tide is crashing the rocks around just below me. And a sudden deluge disturbs the peaceful early hour.

It is noticeably colder this wintry old morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 3 degrees this morning in Cork City, chilly with a frost on the cars and grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Fog warning for Leinster

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Risk of dense fog

Valid: 05:00 Thursday 26/11/2020 to 10:00 Thursday 26/11/2020

Issued: 11:00 Wednesday 25/11/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Beautiful calm sunny day in Dublin. Got to spend lunch in the park. Looks like tomorrow will be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Beautiful calm sunny day in Dublin. Got to spend lunch in the park. Looks like tomorrow will be the same.

by far the best day of the month and I'd go as far as saying it was the nicest day since mid September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

It was 6c and raining most of the day in Sligo. 6.6mm in total. Still 6c now and see 8s and 9s in some coastal locations. Not as frosty as predicted a few days ago. But if it stopped raining non stop the house mightnt be so cold. 151mm of rain in November so far. Not the 200mm mark like February but wet nonetheless.

A very cold and relatively foggy morning here in wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

cold and foggy in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very cold + foggy.

Some of back roads are very dangerous this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very cold here in Meath, a chilly 5C today, easily the coldest day since March and we didn't have many 5C afternoons at all last winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gonzo wrote: »
    very cold here in Meath, a chilly 5C today, easily the coldest day since March and we didn't have many 5C afternoons at all last winter.

Lovely blue skies and unbroken sunshine here on the Kerry coast Gonzo, 10.6C after a low of 2.8C. The very best kind of weather for this time of year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Not sure what happened to this high pressure system. It was supposed to be sunny, but has been bleak, cloud for most of the past two days.

Not a breath of wind. So still the stove fire will not burn. Just smoulders and dies.

west mayo offshore

Dark skies out here; that funny shade they take on sometimes.... . Just yellowy grey and heavy, and very chilly.

West mayo offshore

• Advertisement

Lovely evening here, really has been nice the last few days compared to the muck that we got for most of this month. I'm presuming the rain will be back soon though :rolleyes: It seems the past few months we can't go for more than a few days without rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

sryanbruen wrote: »

Don't remind me Sryanbruen, thoughts of it brings me out in sweats. I remember it took me 5 or 6 hours to get home from work as M50 closed at one stage due to snow. The stress of driving over those few weeks.

Now I didnt mind when we were all snowed in was it 2 years ago? That was grand because we could all just stay at home!

I want no snow or else snowed in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Not sure what happened to this high pressure system. It was supposed to be sunny, but has been bleak, cloud for most of the past two days.

I always say (in Dublin at least) I'm convinced you're as likely to get half-decent and sunny weather under low pressure (or at least slack pressure) as you are with high pressure.

I've lost count of the number of days over the past few years when a strong area of high pressure has been slap bang over Ireland and Dublin has been covered in cloud or had rain. It's so frustrating.

I didn't even think it was meteorologically possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Anticyclonic gloom, quiet common under high pressure during the winter unfortunately.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

First air frost of the season here in Dublin 16. -0.2c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Nice bit of frost on the car this morning

appledrop wrote: »
    Don't remind me Sryanbruen, thoughts of it brings me out in sweats. I remember it took me 5 or 6 hours to get home from work as M50 closed at one stage due to snow. The stress of driving over those few weeks.

Now I didnt mind when we were all snowed in was it 2 years ago? That was grand because we could all just stay at home!

I want no snow or else snowed in!

lol... I would be fine out here. Well stocked always as we get cut off regularly. Still yearning to build one last snowman.

I am spending hours a day ( knitting at the same time) on this series on youtube, "Life below Zero". Within the Arctic Circle etc ( cannot post links) Breathtaking SNOW and people who live survival out there. Relying on their hunting and fishing skills etc. Utterly riveting .

If I were young.... I mean it!

Meanwhile a chilly morning. The cats are now creeping into bed with me thinking I will keep them warm when really the opposite is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

I think it's going to be an unpredictable winter, I'm a total novice, but does the lack of air traffic have anything to do with a change in weather direction.
    Probably a silly question, but I'm prepared to be laughed at or told air traffic has nothing to add or take from the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Just cloudy again. No air frost, our last and first one was in September.

Our temperatures have much greater diurnal range in the summer months.

Advertisement