Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This must one of the most Novemberish Novembers in a long time.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Lovely day in Cork, a brisk wind but nice and bright + dry. Things you love to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Billcarson

appledrop wrote: »
    For those of you who thinks its been too warm you will be happy to know its now only 8 degrees but its still lashing.

That Nov for you dull + dreary.

Turned into a fairly bright day.
    As a general rule ,not always but a general rule, at this time year and during winter, cold often = brightness , mild = dull damp muck.

I know which one I'd prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

For once the sun is shining. A rare thing in wexford :D

What I wouldn't give for a nice fresh clean northerly. Becoming ever rarer.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/7vljv-3nDpU

Took this at the end of nov 2005. Went up to the wicklow hills. Kippure summit 750m . Loved that cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Suddenly it's absolutely baltic in Dublin, that wind would cut you in two

Is it still looking mild for the next few weeks, or has anything changed? I think we deserve some cold weather after the mild weather we've had. Probably won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Billcarson wrote: »
    Turned into a fairly bright day.
    As a general rule ,not always but a general rule, at this time year and during winter, cold often = brightness , mild = dull damp muck.

I know which one I'd prefer.

Maybe on the east coast but here in Donegal cold(ish) weather usually means heavy showers piling in from the west or NW. Been a miserable afternoon here with heavy rain and strong winds, already dark by 4.30

Maybe on the east coast but here in Donegal cold(ish) weather usually means heavy showers piling in from the west or NW. Been a miserable afternoon here with heavy rain and strong winds, already dark by 4.30

Starts to get brighter in the evenings in a few weeks!

• Advertisement

A nice cold clear morning here. lovely compared to what we've had for the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

A nice cold clear morning here. lovely compared to what we've had for the last while.

Yep it was a cold but lovely sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lovely day

And the muck returns. To be fair though I did get what I wanted - one cold sunny day. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

And the muck returns. To be fair though I did get what I wanted - one cold sunny day. :D

the muck never really left, it's been relentless since end of June except for a few days here and there and a slight ease in early to mid September.

A nice sunset here this evening. Unfortunately didn't get a picture of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Gonzo wrote: »
    the muck never really left, it's been relentless since end of June except for a few days here and there and a slight ease in early to mid September.

To be fair for the NW'ern third of the country at least there was a great 10 day spell of heat and sunshine in August and then September & October were also decent/acceptable for most of us.

November though has been awful here with next to no blue skies and constant dampness in the air, definitely killed the 'lockdown = good weather' theme that was running all year

Dull, damp, misty muck this morning here. Not that I was expectying anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Didn’t we have an unreal September and October though?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Dull, damp, misty muck this morning here. Not that I was expectying anything different.
    That weather front has thankfully cleared through here now and left us with what feels like a rare enough bright morning in the west this month. There were also some nice patches of altocumulus on view a little earlier, although as I type, it is starting to get more showery looking out west. Looking at the latest satellite pics, you shouldn't have too long to wait hopefully before you see some clearer skies in the south east. At least you got a nice sunset yesterday evening. They have been few and far between down these parts in recent weeks.
    We have had plenty of wet and damp days here this month where the grey murk has been a constant and it just reminds me why I usually regard November as my own personal least favourite month from a weather point of view.
    A half decent weekend would feel like a treat now after enduring the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has cleared our beautifully in Kildare now. Keen nip though.

Beautiful day in Dublin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Didn’t we have an unreal September and October though?

first 10 days of September were decent, probably the best spell we had since the Spring but there has been a fair bit of rain ever since but at the same time a good deal of sunshine throughout September and October. As a whole September and October fared much better than the summer but there were still spells of rain and mist/drizzle every few days. November has been awful but it's more acceptable for November to be poor compared to July or August. As a whole this Autumn has been nowhere nearly as bad as Autumn 2019 in terms of deluges but it's still been fairly wet, the ground here is still fairly saturated after a wet, cool and cloudy summer and an averagely wet autumn.

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    That weather front has thankfully cleared through here now and left us with what feels like a rare enough bright morning in the west this month. There were also some nice patches of altocumulus on view a little earlier, although as I type, it is starting to get more showery looking out west. Looking at the latest satellite pics, you shouldn't have too long to wait hopefully before you see some clearer skies in the south east. At least you got a nice sunset yesterday evening. They have been few and far between down these parts in recent weeks.
    We have had plenty of wet and damp days here this month where the grey murk has been a constant and it just reminds me why I usually regard November as my own personal least favourite month from a weather point of view.
    A half decent weekend would feel like a treat now after enduring the last few weeks.
    Well you were right, cleared up very nicely here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice afternoon here plenty bright and crisp. More of the same be great and of course an end to this lockdown crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was so miserable this morning, I was getting worried the weekend was going to be another damp squib.

Thanfully it took up beautifully here in NCD.

We had a great few hours out in park before rain returned with a vengeance!

Starts to get brighter in the evenings in a few weeks!

We are just 12 minutes away from the earliest sunset in a few weeks. (Which isnt Dec 21 but that is another story).

first 10 days of September were decent, probably the best spell we had since the Spring but there has been a fair bit of rain ever since but at the same time a good deal of sunshine throughout September and October. As a whole September and October fared much better than the summer but there were still spells of rain and mist/drizzle every few days. November has been awful but it's more acceptable for November to be poor compared to July or August. As a whole this Autumn has been nowhere nearly as bad as Autumn 2019 in terms of deluges but it's still been fairly wet, the ground here is still fairly saturated after a wet, cool and cloudy summer and an averagely wet autumn.

November to me has been average. If I see the sun a few days in November its an ok month. Today was good. Tomorrow too. I walked the dog in quite a few sunny days. Last November was continuous rain, twice the average of a wet month anyway, if I recall correctly. Also no sun to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

November to me has been average. If I see the sun a few days in November its an ok month. Today was good. Tomorrow too. I walked the dog in quite a few sunny days. Last November was continuous rain, twice the average of a wet month anyway, if I recall correctly. Also no sun to speak of.

Last November was unreal-ly bad whilst this one has been an unreal-ly boring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely day in Tralee although got caught under one fairly heavy rogue shower this afternoon while making a concrete slab, couldn't leave it, got drenched ! But not bad by no means for November. Calm day throughout.

Driving into town mid morning found the sun dazzling it being so low in the sky now. The NASSA Sat Pic below showing well the long shadows cast by the sun earlier today.

EPRLjQP.png?1

Advertisement