Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another dark, dreary day.

I wasn't expecting two in a row at weekend.

Looks like it will be a walk in rain later on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Brightened up nicely here near Castlebar this afternoon after a few light showers earlier. 10c in a freshening westerly breeze. Good to get out for a couple of hours in the garden particularly after yesterday's frequent heavy downpours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

awful day today in Meath, damp and drizzely all day and feeling chilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

was a decent day today in wexford with plenty of blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Hooter23

This damp cold is worse than dry -5 type cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mace head gusting 50 knots at 7pm. Its turned lively enough here outside Castlebar also

Another dreary, wet day here. I am already looking forward to spring/summer as this winter looks like it's going to be constant mild mucky weather and I could really do with some warm sunny days which we got so few of last summer. Most likely it will just be a continuation of what we've had though.

Dark dull and turning wet here in Castlebar. 8 degrees. Light to moderate southerly wind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's gonna be 14c tonight at 1am and 16c at times tomorrow in Dublin. It was colder than this in June and July!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

it's gonna be 14c tonight at 1am and 16c at times tomorrow in Dublin. It was colder than this in June and July!

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Started off nice in Cork, but a big change since 9am. Damp and miserable now.

leahyl wrote: »
    :(:(

I think it's great, long may it last. If it was freezing cold and you're working from home your heating bill would be through the roof!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

and for much of August too! June wasn't as bad but July and August were the worst for temperatures and complete lack of sunshine.

Out of curiosity, I had a look at Met Eireann's national forecast from July 6th on the wayback machine and compared it to today's forecast.

Jul 6th - tonight - minimum temps 8-11 degrees.
    Nov 16th - tonight - 10-12 degrees.

Jul 6th - tomorrow - 12-17 degrees.
    Nov 16th - tomorrow - 12-15 degrees.

I know these may not be 100% accurate, but it shows that there is very little difference between temperatures in early July and November this year.

Gonzo wrote: »
    and for much of August too! June wasn't as bad but July and August were the worst for temperatures and complete lack of sunshine.

Maybe I was thinking of 2019 where some days in June had highs of 11c!

Rain hammering down all morning here. Flooding is going to be a serious problem if this rain doesn't stop soon.

I live in the midwest and this relentless gloom is bordering on tortuous. Out of work since Level 5 was implemented, and trying to keep as active as possible. Early morning walk in particular. Denied with wave after wave of precipitation. When the forecast features the dread words "patches of rain and drizzle" my heart sinks into my shoe. Headed down the street earlier and a randomer read my thoughts, "will we ever get out of this?" "It's a trial with the shagging weather". And stuff your mild 14C in winter, useless unless one is scrimping pennies on the heating. Give me a cool crisp sunny day, one hour outdoors does wonders for the wellbeing.

=And stuff your mild 14C in winter, useless unless one is scrimping pennies on the heating. Give me a cool crisp sunny day, one hour outdoors does wonders for the wellbeing.

Yeah but we just get gloomy rainy weather most of the time anyway, so it's better to have this horrible weather and 14c than 6c and a wind that cuts you in two.
    These crisp sunny days are few and far between, of course we'd all prefer them.

These crisp sunny days are few and far between, of course we'd all prefer them.

Not really, they are usually quite common around this time of year. They are only rare this year because of the endless mild muck we are getting and have been getting since June.

another manky day in Meath, it's been like this since Friday, low hanging slate grey cloud, mist, rain, drizzle and breezy, mild yet not feeling mild. This non ending zonal muck is just a complete yawnfest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Any end in sight to this wet dreary spell? Any sort of dry spell for a few consecutive days would be welcome now.

Not really, they are usually quite common around this time of year. They are only rare this year because of the endless mild muck we are getting and have been getting since June.

Are they? I suppose I'm just assuming it'll be wet windy and rainy till our couple of weeks of next spring before returning to same for summer!

Becoming quite windy here this evening. Ground is saturated and I've noticed fields starting to become flooded. The ground cannot take much more rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Another unreal autumn day unreal rain unreal wind unreal gloominess. At least it’s mild I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not a bad morning out lovely and mild and a hint of brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not a bad morning out lovely and mild and a hint of brightness.

Not in Cork :( mild grey muck AGAIN. I need to emigrate.

Another dull, dreary, mild day here, I am absolutely sick of this. I am already looking forward to spring next year as this winter is proving to just be constant mild muck:rolleyes:

So far a gorgeous morning in Dublin, it's quite mild too, more of the same please

And now the drizzle has started. at least we can......save money on heating bills?:D

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southwest to west winds veering northwest will reach mean speed 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h.

The combination of strong winds coupled with high tides brings an increased risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 15:00 Wednesday 18/11/2020 to 01:00 Thursday 19/11/2020

Issued: 09:00 Tuesday 17/11/2020

Advertisement