Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti #MeToo letter defends men's right to 'steal a kiss'

Options
  • 11-01-2018 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

More than 100 prominent French women from all walks of life caused a major stir this week after publishing an editorial in Le Monde, France’s newspaper of record, arguing that the recent backlash against sexual harassment had become a “witch hunt.” The signers included the 14-time Caesar Award nominee Catherine Deneuve, as well as Catherine Robbe-Grillet, a comedian that Vanity Fair once dubbed the country’s most famous dominatrix.

“Men have been punished… when all they did was touch someone’s knee or try to steal a kiss,” the women write. “The haste to send the ‘pigs’ to the abattoir, far from liberating women, in reality serves the interests of the enemies of sexual liberty, the religious extremists, the worst reactionaries.” (The French equivalent of #MeToo is #BalanceTonPorc, or “squeal on your pig.”)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wombatman wrote: »
    More than 100 prominent French women from all walks of life caused a major stir this week after publishing an editorial in Le Monde, France’s newspaper of record, arguing that the recent backlash against sexual harassment had become a “witch hunt.” The signers included the 14-time Caesar Award nominee Catherine Deneuve, as well as Catherine Robbe-Grillet, a comedian that Vanity Fair once dubbed the country’s most famous dominatrix.

“Men have been punished… when all they did was touch someone’s knee or try to steal a kiss,” the women write. “The haste to send the ‘pigs’ to the abattoir, far from liberating women, in reality serves the interests of the enemies of sexual liberty, the religious extremists, the worst reactionaries.” (The French equivalent of #MeToo is #BalanceTonPorc, or “squeal on your pig.”)

Hmm, she was also defending that rapist Polanski a few months ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

There's a joke in here somewhere about 'kissing frogs'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Beefy78 wrote: »
    There's a joke in here somewhere about 'kissing frogs'

Disney told me they turn into Princes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Hmm, she was also defending that rapist Polanski a few months ago..

Remember Meryl Streep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Says the society that cultured the likes of Pepe le Pew.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Remember Meryl Streep

What a hypocrite

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

So long as it's not in the workplace, people should have the right to attempt to seduce. Once rejected however it's time to accept that rejection.

One man's attempted seduction may be someone else's assault..context and circustance is everything..

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Deneuve has moved to the far right, she made a complete fool of herself lately on french radio.
    She wants the right to feel wanted walking down the street but she's not going to be exercising that right in rough areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is why a bit of me admires the French, when not surrendering to the Germans they have a contrariness which can act as a break on group think. I'd sooner get lamped by a French woman for being "fresh" than listen to a hashtag obsessed Yank lecturing me about how evil I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

This is about as popular in France as Lucinda Creighton was in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

“The haste to send the ‘pigs’ to the abattoir, far from liberating women, in reality serves the interests of the enemies of sexual liberty, the religious extremists, the worst reactionaries.”

I find this argument interesting though. Could be on the road back to some kind of "Victorian morality"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The citizens of the U.S. are in general stupid and over-simplify complex issues. They also are generally self-centered and vacuous. Over here on this side of the World we are not as simple as they are so where we can dismiss the MeToo publicity stunt for the drivel it is, they do not understand that we, as Europeans, do not reduce everything to black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The thing about that #metoo nonsense is you can't label everything with one hashtag. There were women saying "I was raped #metoo" then some other idiot would say "someone in a car wolf whistled at me and called me babe #metoo". So not you too then as it's a completely different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The citizens of the U.S. are in general stupid and over-simplify complex issues. They also are generally self-centered and vacuous. Over here on this side of the World we are not as simple as they are so where we can dismiss the MeToo publicity stunt for the drivel it is, they do not understand that we, as Europeans, do not reduce everything to black and white.
    Jesus don't put your shoulder out patting yourself on the back so hard.

I don't know... I quite like the idea that some women aren't publicly (through the media or social media) seeking to label the male gender as rapists, perverts, or other negative behaviors. Makes quite a change from the last few months of media reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Polanski is a hero in Hollywood. Remember that next time one of those vacuous ***** like Meryl Streep starts moralising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Jesus don't put your shoulder out patting yourself on the back so hard.

Good response ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Look...

What man here hasn't thrown the washing machine at some young wan on a Boozy night out!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I don't know... I quite like the idea that some women aren't publicly (through the media or social media) seeking to label the male gender as rapists, perverts, or other negative behaviors. Makes quite a change from the last few months of media reports.

Now that's sarcasm!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The thing about that #metoo nonsense is you can't label everything with one hashtag. There were women saying "I was raped #metoo" then some other idiot would say "someone in a car wolf whistled at me and called me babe #metoo". So not you too then as it's a completely different situation.

A friend of mine said to me while that metoo nonsense was at its peak that she had only had two instances that could possibly be called assault and "it makes you wonder if there's something wrong with you".
    Which is a little bit terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I find this argument interesting though. Could be on the road back to some kind of "Victorian morality"?
    More like that scene early in The Handmaid's Tale, where
    a man is accused of raping a pregnant woman, and is handed over to the handmaids. They kick and beat him to death. It's later revealed that the accusation was false and he was a captured rebel

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Thing is, random men putting their hands on me without my say so does make me really feckin uncomfortable. It's not the same as rape or sexual assault, but it doesn't mean it's ok. No woman should have to put up with an overly touchy boss or men in bars. If this mass hysteria means it doesn't go on as much in the future, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Of course it's a witchhunt I mean have you noticed the Metoo campagin very conveniently ignores all the abuse by female pedophiles and perverts out there?. The bias is 100% against men what about female perverts?..

I mean the bias against men is so incredibly biased the media doesn't even report female pedophilia and female perverts.

Here's one lady speaking about female pedophiles to balance the scales a little. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cBSH1JI7Qs

Now be warned, for posting this the pitchforks and the witchhunt will be against you (and me!.) Batten down the hatches!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Yeah but if every guy who ever tried to steal a kiss with any women ever in the past was to be labeled a sex fiend of some sort, almost all of my male friends and male family members would be labeled as sex fiends for their various sloppy, innocent and foolhardy erotic adventures over their lives, and that would make me some sort of a willing consorter with sex fiends, a harbourer of sex pests, and I don't like where that is going one bit .... Next thing I'll be accused of knowing all along, and not standing up for the sisterhood...and Oh My God...a hashtag will be named after me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The thing about the #metoo thing isn't that it was solely about rape or assault, but all forms of sexual harassment, even minor. It was to show how commonplace it is, how it happens to so many women in all industries. How it can happen when someone's trying just to chat up a woman but goes too far, but also as a woman or even young girl is just walking down the street, or sitting on a bus.

It wasn't just about rape or serious assault, but to show how so many women have put up with at least some form of unwanted sexual harassment in their daily lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Thing is, random men putting their hands on me without my say so does make me really feckin uncomfortable. It's not the same as rape or sexual assault, but it doesn't mean it's ok. No woman should have to put up with an overly touchy boss or men in bars. If this mass hysteria means it doesn't go on as much in the future, so be it.

There's plenty of overly touchy females as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Out of curiosity how many men over here have done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Bravo, well bloody put. There are shades of grey that Americans don't appreciate. They can be obsessed with being something or being labelled as something. I think Europe are just whatever just be.

Sexual harassment is a complex and big issue that can't be defined as you are or you aren't. I like Americans on an individual level (sometimes) but I think as a collective they are full of s***e.

I enjoy a good conversation with them about this stuff it kinda boggles them that someone could weigh up an argument with a balanced outlook and discuss a topic while respecting each others difference of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

jiltloop wrote: »
    There's plenty of overly touchy females as well.

There absolutely is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

chrissb8 wrote: »
    There are shades of grey that Americans don't appreciate.

irony, noun.

Advertisement