Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are we off to tomorrow

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One has also to be realistic in your battles. Political capital should be spent wisely and with a realistic chance of return.
    Also keep an eye across the pond, this evening.

The only chance of squeezing money out of the EU, is by tying it to environmental conditions. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭alps

They're not gone yet, and I bet were likely in for more delays until that show is sorted....and they may not end up leaving.. no budget will be decided by then and the longer we wait the stronger the chance that the new CAP will have a huge weighting towards environmental factors.

The stronger the environ factors, the stronger the chance of an increased budget...

However, we'll only end up spending our CAP on the measures, resulting in 2 outcomes. Keep your current production levels but incurring the measures, effectively farming without payments, or reduce output negating the need for the measures and holding onto the payments..

It's the increasing production or more accurately, an increase in livestock numbers that adversly affects the environment. Thus it depends what year would be taken a the reference base ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Water John wrote: »
    It's the increasing production or more accurately, an increase in livestock numbers that adversly affects the environment. Thus it depends what year would be taken a the reference base ear.

you know this environmental thing is some joke.. Im living within an asses roar of three yes three factories.. Im sending my cattle 80 odd miles away like a good few of the neighbours and one had to send his 120 miles to get them killed.. no choice in it as local fatories wouldnt take them or were cutting weights.. What is the carbon footprint of all that.. and the poor auld cow gets the blame when she farts.. FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

gerryirl wrote: »
    you know this environmental thing is some joke.. Im living within an asses roar of three yes three factories.. Im sending my cattle 80 odd miles away like a good few of the neighbours and one had to send his 120 miles to get them killed.. no choice in it as local fatories wouldnt take them or were cutting weights.. What is the carbon footprint of all that.. and the poor auld cow gets the blame when she farts.. FFS

That should be another highlight the Beef Plan could make. Name and shame them... See how they like that.

Farmers can use the science to their advantage. The time limited effect of methane is a key factor. Also the sequestering of carbon by soil via plants is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Masifxx

Are the IFA anywhere today?

Masifxx wrote: »

I heard they were picketing a butcher shop on the Aron Island today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I heard they were picketing a butcher shop on the Aron Island today

Another joke for you

Beef Plan regional chair Enda Fingleton has defended a letter to Irish and UK supermarkets that claims Bord Bia is “misleading” them about Ireland’s grass-fed beef.

The letter refers to Irish farmers “force-feeding” cattle to reach under-30-month targets for beef. It was sent to Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Musgraves, Dunnes, Sainsbury’s and Asda.

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.

Discuss

• Advertisement

Jjameson wrote: »
    Irish under 16 month bulls, 7 months with mammy, 9 months eating intensive maizemeal based diet. Grass fed image?

All I see wrong about the above is “force feeding”.
    We farmers know what he means but urbanites may take it literally!

Stupid thing to do, It'll put a question mark over every under 30mth animal.
    Frankly, I'm not surprised at it, they've been doing it all year, who do they think is buying their weanlings only farmers that are going to ''force feed'' cattle
    Have you read the complete letter that was sent.

wrangler wrote: »
    Another joke for you

Beef Plan regional chair Enda Fingleton has defended a letter to Irish and UK supermarkets that claims Bord Bia is “misleading” them about Ireland’s grass-fed beef.

The letter refers to Irish farmers “force-feeding” cattle to reach under-30-month targets for beef. It was sent to Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Musgraves, Dunnes, Sainsbury’s and Asda.

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.

Discuss

Discuss ... jasus I dont know... amm I was "force fed" when I was younger but I still look like a friesian

Discuss ... jasus I dont know... amm I was "force fed" when I was younger but I still look like a friesian

Lucky you, we go on holidays with a couple and I physically couldn't eat what he eats and he too is a friesian ....... no justice

Irish under 16 month bulls, 7 months with mammy, 9 months eating intensive maizemeal based diet. Grass fed image?

All I see wrong about the above is “force feeding”.
    We farmers know what he means but urbanites may take it literally!

French sheep only have to on grass about 3mth to be ''grass fed ''

the beem money came this week. Badly needed for Chrismass here. A lot of this money came from Brusels its very important IFA have an office over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Masifxx wrote: »

They were supposed to be and 2mora too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Another joke for you

Discuss

He's not telling any lies to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Any hope of a bit more information?

Another joke for you

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.[/B

Discuss
    Crazy thing to do
    Talk about cutting your own throat. If the public think that Bord Bia are misleading people how can anyone have faith in our product. Someone said recently that if the 30 month rule was removed you would have a glut in the autumn. As the autumn is traditionally the busiest time this would surely lead to another drop in price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Another joke for you

Discuss

A totally irresponsible comment from a totally irresponsible and indeed accidental spokesman. To contextualise his comments one should just look at the type of operation he’s running. I wouldn’t send him to pump a wheelbarrow tyre let alone represent my business interests.

how are these lads elected?

• Advertisement

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Any hope of a bit more information?

i dont know maybe the lorry was doing 7 or 8 to the gallon. Lot more gallons used from going 20 miles than 80 or 120 miles..carbon footprint emissions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

It took me a while to find it and I concur with it 100% apart from the minor wording anomaly.

The bad mouthing of Irish beef for the last year is stupid, they have the gun aimed firmly at their foot now.
    If factories are telling retailers that younger beef is better quality, whose word are they going to take for that, the farmer(whom really know nothing about marketing meat) or the processors.
    I'd be surprised now if processors give in to bullying.
    Price rise seems to be moving now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Base price wrote: »

and surprise surprise the article is free to view..... :rolleyes:

The 30 month rule is nothing but a market control measure. Bord bia are throwing the grass fed slogan around willy nilly and it is bull****. 36+ month Hereford Angus beef, even cow beef,moving from not far from here to premium London retail. There’s potential for a widely produced product here to to have premium niche marketing on European markets and it is being squandered on the whim of a processing industry that want high volume over anything else.

Farmers trying to destroy an industry when it's the only outlet we have is really stupid,
    Referring to premium market is also stupid when no one is prepared to pick up the gauntlet and develop those markets.
    We've pointed out the options to processors, like farmers they will go the safe well tried option and small blame to them, time for farmers to get the finger out now if farmers want change.
    Customer is always right, they're paying, they can set the terms and conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

I see Agriland have an article up about a possible tractor protest Dublin tomorrow.

This idea of springing a protest on the people of Dublin isn't going to gain any support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I see Agriland have an article up about a possible tractor protest Dublin tomorrow.

This idea of springing a protest on the people of Dublin isn't going to gain any support.

Creed was well warned

Creed was well warned

They have no viable proposals for creed, they're spewing out umproven theories
    It's all pointless, they didn't decide what they wanted the last time until they got to dublin.
    Larry is playing them like a toy, lifted the injunctions last time to drive a further wedge between farmers.
    You couldn't make it up really.
    Blaming IFA tonight for splitting the protest tomorrow, when IFA couldn't give a sh.. about them

Ad for protest has been pulled from Done Deal..

• Advertisement

Well some interesting positive developments;
    We have a QPS review
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-commissions-study-into-qps-in-spec-bonus-criteria/

Margaret Donnelly reports in the Indo that ICOS say that none of the UK retailers ask for either the 70 last movement or the 4 movement rule. BS has now been called on those.

The main retailers will attend the Beef Forum.

We have a QPS review
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-commissions-study-into-qps-in-spec-bonus-criteria/

Margaret Donnelly reports in the Indo that ICOS say that none of the UK retailers ask for either the 70 last movement or the 4 movement rule. BS has now been called on those.

Last timeI was at a meeting with tesco 10years + ago. they claimed that 70 days was the only way they could guarantee that there'd be no antibiotic residue.
    And if there was they would know exactly who did it instead of farmers blaming the previous owner.
    At the end of the day the processors will manipulate the price to suit the specs

We have a QPS review

Interesting to see that the minutes of the meeting are to be published tomorrow. Let's hope they are comprehensive and lessen the hearsay that we get through third parties.

Very surprised in this era of AMR, that the 70 day rule would not be a prerequisite of the retailers. They are anal about food quality as one slip up could wipe out a whole retail business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

alps wrote: »
    Interesting to see that the minutes of the meeting are to be published tomorrow. Let's hope they are comprehensive and lessen the hearsay that we get through third parties.

Very surprised in this era of AMR, that the 70 day rule would not be a prerequisite of the retailers. They are anal about food quality as one slip up could wipe out a whole retail business.
    70 days will stay always said it will be set in stone due to withdrawal dates. Testing beef carcasses is very different to testing a tanker of milk. If you a finishing cattle you have this responsibility to the food chain. All it takes is one bad egg and it will scupper the rest of us.
    Secondly it gives dealers a bigger margin in the chain thus suppressing farmers further

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

We have a QPS review

Aldi and Lidl should be there as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Apparently there is another protest tomorrow night the 1st. This time at Dunnes Stores distribution center in Dublin. Dunnes have not agreed to attend the Beef Taskforce talks due to take place on the 9th.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/speculation-mounts-over-possible-new-years-day-beef-protest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tileman

Base price wrote: »
    Apparently there is another protest tomorrow night the 1st. This time at Dunnes Stores distribution center in Dublin. Dunnes have not agreed to attend the Beef Taskforce talks due to take place on the 9th.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/speculation-mounts-over-possible-new-years-day-beef-protest/

Dunes have now confirmed they will attend. So obvious threat of further disruption has worked. However knowing dunnes they will confirm nothing in the actual meeting. They will be there in body only.

Tileman wrote: »
    Dunes have now confirmed they will attend. So obvious threat of further disruption has worked. However knowing dunnes they will confirm nothing in the actual meeting. They will be there in body only.

I wouldn't be holding my breath from results from any of the opposition.
    A repeated beef forum

• Advertisement

The only difference is that there is a serious appetite for militant action and numbers will turn out for blockades.

I presume the guys that paid crazy money for cattle before Xmas and will wonder why they can't make money at the end of the year will be out in force , blaming everyone but themselves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

MIKEKC wrote: »
    I presume the guys that paid crazy money for cattle before Xmas and will wonder why they can't make money at the end of the year will be out in force , blaming everyone but themselves

+1 on the above, to paraphrase Scooby-Doo. "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling meat processor's". Granted you can only pass so much price reductions back down the line but there was some mental money paid out for stock in the run up to Xmas. Even in so called "good" price year's those stock would struggle to return a margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

+1 on the above, to paraphrase Scooby-Doo. "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling meat processor's". Granted you can only pass so much price reductions back down the line but there was some mental money paid out for stock in the run up to Xmas. Even in so called "good" price year's those stock would struggle to return a margin.

Absolutely zero personal responsibility.

These tend to be the guys who didn’t turn out. The guys who nearly pee themselves with vexation at the mention of protest and rant on about the infamous glut.. which incidentally has to be still there as the factories never overtook it??
    Pensions, big sfp pavements and falling into the category of of haves or have nots define who supported the strike in my opinion.

You can imagine what a sheep farmer with a good SFP thought listening to the pathetic excuses from beef farmers when looking for support for protests .......... sympathy long gone there I''m afraid
    Indifference and laziness would have a lot to do with it too, having attended 90% of the protests for the last thirty years I feel entitled to suffer from indifference myself now
    The percentage of those that are protesting now that never bothered their backsides before might surprise you too, so they too can get off the high moral ground and do some work for a change ,

That ould chip is seriously heavy.
    Price in the UK for R3 is €4.20 incl Vat.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/new-ifa-national-livestock-committee-chair-elected/

Advertisement