Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trainerroad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

If not sure maybe try General?

I just finished that recently. First half is mostly threshold work, second half is VO2 max.

For road racing id say general or criterium plans. If you can road race well at A3, the W200 will be easy so i wouldnt worry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

I'm new to Trainerroad and relatively new to cycling as well. Have started into sweet spot base and hope to continue a build and specialty phase after that. Just wondering what improvements people have seen in their FTP from following structured training? As of now mine is really low but only started cycling 2 years ago after persistent knee injury stopped me running. And tbh did very little cycling till I started trainerroad (less than 1,000km each year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

First base and build I saw a big jump - up 25%. That's stalled since, but with a few caveats...
    - I went through a good few months of doing shorter versions of at least one workout a week
    - I generally skip the Saturday workout to go out on a spin
    - I've dropped at least another 10kg in the time where ftp gains has slowed, so while in absolute terms I haven't seen growth, power to weight has gone up. Sticking to the plans has helped that weight loss even if nothing else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Had a set of VO2 intervals set for yesterday but the days went against me plus I had to make an emergency dash to the supermarket as my power meter battery was dead. I was in the wrong frame of mind to attack a workout like that so when I abandoned with 3 reps left I wasn't surprised.

Bashful +2 was the workout, 90 secs at 125% x 5 with 60 secs rest. 3 sets of these was horrible.

I hate VO2 intervals....

Macy0161 wrote: »
    First base and build I saw a big jump - up 25%. That's stalled since, but with a few caveats...
    - I went through a good few months of doing shorter versions of at least one workout a week
    - I generally skip the Saturday workout to go out on a spin
    - I've dropped at least another 10kg in the time where ftp gains has slowed, so while in absolute terms I haven't seen growth, power to weight has gone up. Sticking to the plans has helped that weight loss even if nothing else!

I'm hoping for more like a 80-100% increase over the course of the next 6 months, maybe i'm completely unrealistic.
    My thinking is that I'm new to training by power and I'm coming from a very low base, first ftp test was 126 watts.
    Weight isn't a major problem but still I'm hoping to lose maybe 6 kg, which would have me at 67kg

coco0981 wrote:
    I'm hoping for more like a 80-100% increase over the course of the next 6 months, maybe i'm completely unrealistic. My thinking is that I'm new to training by power and I'm coming from a very low base, first ftp test was 126 watts. Weight isn't a major problem but still I'm hoping to lose maybe 6 kg, which would have me at 67kg
    I think it depends how committed you are to training. I wasn't, and am still not, prepared to give up outdoor spins, which is probably what someone time limited has to do. It's either an outdoor weekend spin or a turbo for me with the children.

I think it depends how committed you are to training. I wasn't, and am still not, prepared to give up outdoor spins, which is probably what someone time limited has to do. It's either an outdoor weekend spin or a turbo for me with the children.

With work/kids indoor training actually works better for me during the week at least, can do a 60-90 minute before work. The structure of trainerroad looks great to my untrained eye. I'm expecting some good ftp increases initially, but obviously it's easy pickings at the start. If I could get to 200 ftp by year end I'd be happy enough

But again I'm new to this, so may be completely off with my logic

coco0981 wrote: »
    With work/kids indoor training actually works better for me during the week at least, can do a 60-90 minute before work. The structure of trainerroad looks great to my untrained eye. I'm expecting some good ftp increases initially, but obviously it's easy pickings at the start. If I could get to 200 ftp by year end I'd be happy enough
    Ah yeah, it's great to be able to be "minding" the children and get the work done, and I find TrainerRoad great in terms of training. I was new to structured training, and that's the type of gains I saw, but it will slow down - they themselves say 2-3% is realistic once you're over the newbie gains. They have a good podcast too - "ask a cycling coach".

Tested last night and 3% bump in FTP after this build block, but club races, sportives and other commitments probably mean while I'll get the cycles in I'll probably be down to one TrainerRoad workout a week (well I'll probably have a few Pettit/ Lazy Mountain easy/ recovery workouts, but in terms of the TR plan).

Incidentally, over 20 watts difference between last nights 20 minute test and the last ramp test I did. I'm not sure what that tells me - about me or the testing protocols!

Ah yeah, it's great to be able to be "minding" the children and get the work done, and I find TrainerRoad great in terms of training. I was new to structured training, and that's the type of gains I saw, but it will slow down - they themselves say 2-3% is realistic once you're over the newbie gains. They have a good podcast too - "ask a cycling coach".

Tested last night and 3% bump in FTP after this build block, but club races, sportives and other commitments probably mean while I'll get the cycles in I'll probably be down to one TrainerRoad workout a week (well I'll probably have a few Pettit/ Lazy Mountain easy/ recovery workouts, but in terms of the TR plan).

Incidentally, over 20 watts difference between last nights 20 minute test and the last ramp test I did. I'm not sure what that tells me - about me or the testing protocols!

Ya I'm enjoying the podcast, lots of useful stuff in it

I have a month's free trial to give away for trainerroad if anyone is interested in it

• Advertisement

FTP vs Ramp Test

I have done 3 tests this winter with an increase in ftp each time.

Ramp Test
    Ramp Test + 8 watts
    FTP Test + 15 watts

There was a 3 week gap between the ramp & ftp test so i highly doubt any major gains were made in this time to warrant a 15 watt gain. I have also lost some weight over this 3 test period so i'm more than chuffed with this winter so far.

I'd say the ramp test at 75% of the last minutes wattage is a bit off in comparison to the ftp test result. I'd say fitter and more experienced lads are better off with the ftp format for more accurate results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭joey100

How did your 5 min clearing effort watts compare to the 20 min effort in the 20min test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

dahat wrote: »
    FTP vs Ramp Test

I have done 3 tests this winter with an increase in ftp each time.

Ramp Test
    Ramp Test + 8 watts
    FTP Test + 15 watts

There was a 3 week gap between the ramp & ftp test so i highly doubt any major gains were made in this time to warrant a 15 watt gain. I have also lost some weight over this 3 test period so i'm more than chuffed with this winter so far.

I'd say the ramp test at 75% of the last minutes wattage is a bit off in comparison to the ftp test result. I'd say fitter and more experienced lads are better off with the ftp format for more accurate results.

Are you doing the tests at about the same time? Same amount of sleep and food give or take? Same amount of stress each time? A lot of variable factors. I've done a few ramp tests and ftp tests in the morning as well as the evening and found those in the evening produce a much higher result for obvious reasons.

What ever test you decide to take make sure the conditions are replicated as much as possible for the subsequent tests.

As an aside, congrats on the gains and losses(weight). What does that currently put you at?

The difference a few months make - I'm 100% committed to the ramp test now. I've no idea which testing protocol is the best for FTP, but for training zones, I'm happy with my ability to complete workouts (particularly VO2 max) now compared with using the 20 minute test.

I don't think it is a straight 75%, not since beta testing. It's a % of final minute power, with a few other things to take into account the whole ramp iirc.

Anyway, I've brought into them having enough data and enough skill that if they reckon it works for setting training zones I'm happy to run with it. And not just because Jonathon finally asked on of my questions in last weeks podcast! :)

joey100 wrote: »
    How did your 5 min clearing effort watts compare to the 20 min effort in the 20min test?

The avg watts for the clearing effort was 63 watts higher.

Are you doing the tests at about the same time? Same amount of sleep and food give or take? Same amount of stress each time? A lot of variable factors. I've done a few ramp tests and ftp tests in the morning as well as the evening and found those in the evening produce a much higher result for obvious reasons.

What ever test you decide to take make sure the conditions are replicated as much as possible for the subsequent tests.

As an aside, congrats on the gains and losses(weight). What does that currently put you at?

Ramp test was pm & ftp am with different fuelling alright given the time of day. Going forward I'll replicate this week as that's the seco d time an am (6.45) ftp went well in terms of pacing etc.

As for the weight I'm down 9kgs since August with a gentle approach really. My eventual aim racing aim is 92kgs but I'll hold 95kgs if power drops out on me.

My ftp is high but in general terms it's a useless number as watts/kg is key really.

The difference a few months make - I'm 100% committed to the ramp test now. I've no idea which testing protocol is the best for FTP, but for training zones, I'm happy with my ability to complete workouts (particularly VO2 max) now compared with using the 20 minute test.

I don't think it is a straight 75%, not since beta testing. It's a % of final minute power, with a few other things to take into account the whole ramp iirc.

Anyway, I've brought into them having enough data and enough skill that if they reckon it works for setting training zones I'm happy to run with it. And not just because Jonathon finally asked on of my questions in last weeks podcast! :)

A VO2 tip they mentioned worked quite well for me recently. The 3 min intervals, start at a self selected cadence for 90secs - 2 mins then ramp towards a 100 plus for the remaining to try replicate surging at end of a race/climb etc.

What was the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Ramp test was pm & ftp am with different fuelling alright given the time of day. Going forward I'll replicate this week as that's the seco d time an am (6.45) ftp went well in terms of pacing etc.

As for the weight I'm down 9kgs since August with a gentle approach really. My eventual aim racing aim is 92kgs but I'll hold 95kgs if power drops out on me.

My ftp is high but in general terms it's a useless number as watts/kg is key really.

McCrystal or Shaw or even Robin Kelly would disagree with your last comment. You'll win plenty races especially the in Leinster with a high power output. Unless you're targeting the Shay or Ràs Mumhan.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    McCrystal or Shaw or even Robin Kelly would disagree with your last comment. You'll win plenty races especially the in Leinster with a high power output. Unless you're targeting the Shay or Ràs Mumhan.

I have manged to win one at 99kgs... Good old A4.

Of course there is always exceptions to any rule but generally a 92-95kg rating weight isn't ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I have manged to win one at 99kgs... Good old A4.

Of course there is always exceptions to any rule but generally a 92-95kg rating weight isn't ideal.

Yeah and I was probably 20kg lighter than you when you won in shannonside and I couldn't hold your wheel at the finish.
    I think youll be just fine

dahat wrote:
    What was the question?
    Swapping out a sweet spot base Saturday workout for a longer traditional base one. They kinda went off at a tangent from there...

Brailsford giving it a go, but Mr Marginal Gains not understanding "Power Match"

https://www.strava.com/activities/1989317282

And Ted King too apparently. They make a big deal of them not paying anyone to use the software, so no sponsored athletes like other options...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

He is really good at hitting the target power, my graphed look nothing like that :)

Boscoirl wrote: »
    He is really good at hitting the target power, my graphed look nothing like that :)
    Depends on power smoothing, doesn't it, and I think the kickr is particularly known for that? He was using the turbo power, not his stages. Or maybe he has a really smooth pedal action.

Anyone using trainer road with an ant+ tablet? Currently using with a laptop and ant+ key but looking at changing my set up around. Have used with a bluetooth phone and the kickr and worked well but power meter is ant+ only so if I could get a tab with ant+ on it it would be great. From my quick search it seems like mainly samsung tabs that have it enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

joey100 wrote: »
    Anyone using trainer road with an ant+ tablet? Currently using with a laptop and ant+ key but looking at changing my set up around. Have used with a bluetooth phone and the kickr and worked well but power meter is ant+ only so if I could get a tab with ant+ on it it would be great. From my quick search it seems like mainly samsung tabs that have it enabled.

i tried first time with my amazon fire last night. it picked up bluetooth no issue and power readings went through on trainer road from kickr. but there was no ant+ shwoing even though i'd downloaded the app. not sure why that was so please help techies. wasn't picking up cadence or speed it seemed as a result. didn't have my hrm with me so can't tell if that was missing too. i have basic knowledge of some vital cycling technological advance, apologies

I'm not 100% sure the amazon fire tablet has ant+, so you can download the app for it but the tablet itself doesn't have the ant+ receiver.

This is a list I found of tablets that have ant+ receivers in them. I think for most you would probably still need to install the app also. I'm not sure if this is a complete list but was all I could find.

https://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/60/~/

Nearest I've done is a tablet (and phone) with Ant+ Dongle and an OTG cable. There's an Ant+ Tester App, which steps you through all the other installs your device needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

If the hardware is built in then there are no issues using TR with ant+ on android. I've run it this way on an android phone before. That said Bluetooth is more reliable if you have that option available.

Anyone created the TrainerRoad ftp test on Training Peaks? Ive always used this format but loathe to pay a monthly fee for the test alone.

I've tried to create it but made a balls each time if someone has done this already.

• Advertisement

Anyone created the TrainerRoad ftp test on Training Peaks? Ive always used this format but loathe to pay a monthly fee for the test alone.
    Ramp, 20 or 8 minute test? I actually thought all were standard tests, and just with the ramp they have their own equation for giving the training FTP. My bolt has the 20 minute test on it as a standard workout - I gave up my training peaks sub, but I'm surprised it doesn't have an 8 or 20 minute test to the same protocol tbh.

20 min test.

I have a format from my coach but it's different to what I've used historically so trying to re create the format to sync with the garmin unit vua connect iq app.

I'll look around TP later, as you said surely one there to add to calender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

trainer road, zwift etc.. ant+ on an android tablet

i did it on a samsung phone with a micro usb adapter, one end micro usb into phone, the other end is normal size and takes the ant+ usb key.. then there are ant+ apps to be got off google play, if you just type in ant+ youl see them, i think theres 3 that are needed.. ant+ plugins service, ant+ plugin manager and ant radio service.. after all that it worked fine , cant see why the same wouldnt work on any android tablet,

micro usb adapter
    https://www.gearbest.com/tablet-accessories/pp_715479.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=14577967&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwIK2mP2B4AIVorztCh1sdAeQEAQYBSABEgJhtfD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Send me your email address and I’ll send you on a months free trainerroad. I have a couple of referrals for free.

Send me your email address and I’ll send you on a months free trainerroad. I have a couple of referrals for free.

Just cancelled my account so I'll need to be creative with email addresses!!! 🀣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've just bought a tacx vortex and wondering which software to use , trainneroad looks to be down my road excuse the pun ...

I'd rather listen to music and have a structured program ....

Last few years I had a simple turbo and just did gcn 30 min YouTube flat out sessions then went for runs straight after.

Trainerroad dont do free trials tho. Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I've just bought a tacx vortex and wondering which software to use , trainneroad looks to be down my road excuse the pun ...

Last few years I had a simple turbo and just did gcn 30 min YouTube flat out sessions then went for runs straight after.

Send me a PM with your name and email address and I can send you a 30 day trial link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I have a vortex and use zwift. I used to use trainer road but you just get way more out of zwift for the same money. It has structured training, free rides and best of all races. It also has level ups which can be a motivator as you get to unlock new bikes etc. Sweetspot training is great for improving your initial FTP after which you can go for a more structured plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Anyone who wants a free month of TrainerRoad PM me - I have 3 codes to give away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Mapaputsi wrote: »
    Anyone who wants a free month of TrainerRoad PM me - I have 3 codes to give away

I'll take one thanks..
    Sending pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

I will take one please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Think I've a couple to share... if anyone's interested PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I’d take one if still available. Thanks

I've three available - PM me name and email and I'll do it when I get a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mapaputsi

I've one more left too if anyone wants one

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

I've one more left too if anyone wants one

I'd take it please and thanks. I don't think I can send private messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I'd take it please and thanks. I don't think I can send private messages.

Need your name and an email address to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Need your name and an email address to do it.

Figured out I can pm and got sorted thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I would love one too if anyone has a spare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    I would love one too if anyone has a spare!

PM me your name and email address.

Advertisement