Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I thought it was good but in no way worth the €14.50 price tag despite the size of the bottle (and the beer).
    Same here. Except that it is 11.99€ in Drinkstore, something like 16€ in Redmonds if I remember correctly :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Duty on beer hasn't been increased in years, why is it so expensive here? Imports like Brooklyn Local 1 at €9.99 and our own Dungarvan & O'Hara's for €2.75 (ish) with no import costs. Even Guinness in Dublin should be cheaper than the West Coast with little or no transport costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Disappointed by Friar Weisse tonight in the Franciscan Well. I think it was just a bad batch or something, cos generally I love weissbiers-it tasted burned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Duty on beer hasn't been increased in years, why is it so expensive here?
    Duty is still quite high. It also has to pass through a number of businesses to get here, all of which take their cut.
    Even Guinness in Dublin should be cheaper than the West Coast with little or no transport costs.
    The cost of buying and running a pub is far higher in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I live in China.

I've had the flu the past two weeks and pretty much been stuck in my room. Losing my mind so tonight I will have a few beers.

Tsingtao
    Yanjing Draft
    Snow Beer
    Carlsberg Chill
    Stella

All are pissy (except Stella) but THIS IS CHINA. God I miss stout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

My brother came back from Holland for Christmas, I got him to bring back a few bottles of Westmalle Tripel. They were €1.25 a bottle and he thought that was expensive :eek:

BeerNut wrote: »
    Duty is still quite high. It also has to pass through a number of businesses to get here, all of which take their cut.

The cost of buying and running a pub is far higher in Dublin.

Irish produced beer does not have to pass through as many businesses.

There are many pubs in Dublin that are mortgage free yet still charge higher prices than more rural areas. Pubs on the West Coast also pay wages, rates etc etc. I accept that the capital city is always more expensive but to put the price differential down to business costs alone is too easy. We dont accept that when comparing UK shops operating in both jurastictions.

Irish produced beer does not have to pass through as many businesses.
    True. You reckon ~€2.75 is too expensive for a bottle of Irish beer. Can you tell us what you think would be reasonable, and show your working out?
    I accept that the capital city is always more expensive but to put the price differential down to business costs alone is too easy.
    Sure. There's also the fact that people expect to pay higher prices in Dublin, and do so. It's your basic free market economics.

BeerNut wrote: »
    True. You reckon ~€2.75 is too expensive for a bottle of Irish beer. Can you tell us what you think would be reasonable, and show your working out?

It's a pretty good price for a small producer like Carlow and Dungarvan. It's dear for the likes of Diageo considering their volume and hence lower unit price. Galway Hooker in Limerick is approx €3.95, Guinness approx €4. I'd imagine that the unit cost of Guinness is rather cheaper than GH. The "problem" would seem to be the retailer / publican who won't / can't drop their margin.

Sure. There's also the fact that people expect to pay higher prices in Dublin, and do so. It's your basic free market economics.

True,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You also have to remember that Guinness/Diageo would spend millions on advertising and I would also imagine that their business model would require much higher profit margins than a small micro brewery.

But that said, they will always charge what they will get away with charging, and as long as people keep buying it at that price why would they change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

€2.75 is a pretty good price for a bottle of quality beer IMO, especially for a 500ml bottle. When you consider that the smaller brewers don't have the same economies of scale and such as the big companies like Diageo it's unlikely that they're making a very high profit margin on it--but if they are, all the better, as it will keep them in business and maybe even entice other prospective brewers into the market.

On topic, I had a Dark Arts in the Bull & Castle the other night and was really impressed. I had a bit of Dark Arts before at the Lughnasa beer festival in Tripod, and thought it was okay, but the pint I had the other night was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Lost Abbey - Angel's Share
    Hmm. Just started this one and it might take a while to drink. Malty bourbon. No bubbles to speak of (expected some kind of pop when I pulled the cork). I've had one small glass. Putting it back in the fridge to take a break. Too much action going on. More later :o

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Last night's bar tally:

Thornbridge Kill your Darlings (draught) - I initially thought this was an amber ale when it was put in front of me but turns out its a vienna lager. Unlike the Viennas I'm accustomed to, the hops were definitely more to the fore than malt. Persistant head on it too. A nice beer to kick off the evening.

Thornbridge Mechelen (draught) - A belgian style golden ale, 7+%. Hazy, typical yeasty & citrus notes and that sticky-mouth sweetness you get with Duvel, Delerium etc. Decent, but not a stand-out beer.

Flying Dog K9 cruiser - A Winter Ale, 7.4%. I thought this was delicious. Reminded me of a Fuller's ESB or Vintage but with more malty sweetness and caramel flavours, the hops taking a back seat on this one. Very drinkable, despite its strength.

Mikkeller Black Hole - Imperial Stout, 13ish% (shared!). Black as its name suggests and pours with a lovely espresso-type crema head. Huge aroma that my mate could smell from across the table. Lots of coffee, chocolate and sherry/port flavours. Quite sweet and silky/creamy, a bit like an Anchor Porter but on a big dose of steroids. Hides its alcohol quite well too, easy to drink for such a big beer.

Sore head this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale, Headless Dog, O'Haras IPA, Sunburnt Irish Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Westmalle Trippel & Chimay Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mongdesade wrote: »
    Westmalle Trippel & Chimay Blue

Excellent choices! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Last might i had some

Wells Banana Bread Beer

banana-bread-group.jpg

tonight i've decided to have some auld genius

guiness%20draft.jpg

tomorrow
    i'll be having Youngs Double Choc Stout

73.jpg

the day after that i'll be told that i'm an alcoholic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

trackguy wrote: »
    Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

Love that stuff! Had a sixer of that over the course of Christmas day. Really enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Bottle of Hambleton Nightmare (Yorkshire Porter) for the first time, fantastically tasty, thoroughly recommend.

nigbotbigx.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

141260.jpg
    Anyone tried this? 100% peated malt, absolutely vile stuff. Probably the most interesting and worst beer I have ever had.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/yeastie-boys-rex-attitude/141260/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

QUOTE 100% peated malt, absolutely vile stuff. Probably the most interesting and worst beer I have ever had.[/QUOTE]

100% peated malt oh man!!, they should have distilled for whiskey

CiaranC wrote: »
    100% peated malt
    It does sound like the attempt to make the world's first 100% peated malt beer was more important than how the finished product tastes. I'd love to try it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

CiaranC wrote: »
    Unlike any other beer I’ve tried and not at all what I expected. The nose is quite awful really but I don’t think it’s meant to be sniffed. Upon drinking I was greeted with a mouthful of smokey dirt. It reminded me of the burnt bits left in the pan after roasting a chicken. If you haven’t experienced peat before this probably isn’t a good start as it’s quite unforgiving. If you’re a fan of peat then you’ll love this beer. It’s ironically quite light in colour.
    Sounds delish. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yeastie Boys is an excellent name as well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Sounds delish. :D

I thought it sounded horrible until I read the bit about the roast chicken pan bits. Yummmm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Where did you get it from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Its a New Zealand beer, picked it up in New World Metro, Wellington. Look forward to the day in Ireland when the local small supermarket has 80+ beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Ventured into Marks & Spencers today and picked up two of their own-brands; Cheshire Chocolate Porter and County Carlow Irish Stout.

The Cheshire Chocolate Porter is divine. Doesn't look like a porter at all but it's got a nice soft flavour with a sweet aftertaste. Certainly worth picking up a couple of bottles if ye're ever in Mark's and Sparks.

Haven't tried the Carlow one yet, will report back later!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

This evening's sipping combined an old reliable - well, a newish, but still very reliable - in O'Hara's IPA, and what could turn out to be a new favourite in the shape of Hook Norton's Double Stout. It's the first time I've had it, and it's certainly one of the more beautifully balanced stouts I've had in a while.

Can anyone more knowledgeable than I am on these matters tell me why it's a 'double' stout as opposed to regular ol' stout? The ABV was no higher than usual, which is what I thought it might have referred to (assuming it's not just a marketing angle and refers to something).

• Advertisement

It's just a marketing angle. Double stout was a term that breweries used in the 19th century, but since the Great Gravity Shift of 1917 it's meaningless.

Lovely beer though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement