Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

On Friday night I really enjoyed a Metalman Pale Ale in the Bull & Castle which was superb, but the scene-stealer was Dungarvan's Copper Coast on cask. Not sure whether it was because it was on cask, or just served at the right temperature, but it was just packed with wonderful fruity flavour. Amazing stuff.

Also enjoyed an AB03 yesterday, which was quite delightful for a sipping beer. It didn't have the sourness of the last AB beer I had, but was a pleasant sipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a bottle of Black Sheep Riggwelter ale last night. It was very good. I think the normal black sheep ale is only ok but this was a good few steps above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Still getting through my Christmas beers and currently drinking a Neuschwansteiner Weihnachts-Bier(pretty tasty) while drooling over This. Convincing myself not to take the plunge :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Mo14 wrote: »
    Still getting through my Christmas beers and currently drinking a Neuschwansteiner Weihnachts-Bier(pretty tasty) while drooling over This. Convincing myself not to take the plunge :p

I took the plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Got a bottle of Meantime London Porter and their Chocolate Beer (her indoors was in UK). Any good?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

London Porter is fantastic. Not so keen on the chocolate one.

Great, I'll treat myself later in the week.

Does anyone know where to get Moor Beer from Somerset here? Would like to try their JJJ IPA and others.

They're not sold here.

Lack of demand or do they not brew enough to supply ouside of their regional market?

Most likely the latter.
    Moor wrote:
    We are a local company primarily servicing the local community. But we think that our beers are unique and are sought after by discerning beer drinkers around the world. As such we hand bottle our beers in limited quantities to bring them to you wherever you are.

I don't see them listed in even the big UK online beer sellers. Well, except Beers of Europe where they're all out of stock.

• Advertisement

West Country Ales www.westcountryales.co.uk have some in stock. However it's only the beers under 7.5% abv. I think I read that with the high strength beer duty in UK the brewing of beer over 7.5% for the likes of Moor is uneconomical. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Quick question guys ... is WESTVLETEREN 12 up to the hype ...

i.e. is it worth paying €50 for 6 ... (Just to let you know I don't mind paying it but only if it is truly a top quality beer and not just hyped up to sell)

Seen it compared as "in a similar league to" Rochefort 10 which I do like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

i.e. is it worth paying €50 for 6 ... (Just to let you know I don't mind paying it but only if it is truly a top quality beer and not just hyped up to sell)

Seen it compared as "in a similar league to" Rochefort 10 which I do like.

Of the three Westvleterens, the blond was the one that stuck out for me - one of the nicest beers I've tried to date.
    The 12 was seriously good too but to be honest, you're paying for the rarity of it . St Bernardus Abt 12 is, apparently, the same recipe and is very good to. Rochefort 10 would be far from it either.

I think it is worth paying €50 for these beers, once - when else are you going to get to try them?

In a word, no. It did well in a blind tasting I ran a while back, but it's not worth two or three times the other beers in its class, including Rochefort 10, IMO.
    when else are you going to get to try them?
    I've found the whole range readily available in beer shops in Brussels and Amsterdam, priced in the €7-€10 range, but then you only need to commit to buying one. The downside is whether you feel guilty about buying on the grey market.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Am trying to decide whether to order the Westvleteren 12 package also. I paid €10 for a bottle in Bruges and thought it was truly outstanding but, having already tried it, I find myself reluctant to fork out €50 for six more. A 3 x 2-bottle set featuring all three of their beers would be more appealing to me.

This week I've had a bottle of Brewdog's Hardcore IPA. I think some of Brewdog's beers are overrated, but this one definitely hits the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah I just went for it. Sure I'll have one every year for the next six years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Having a bottle of Rathaus pils at the moment - from the deepest black forest as they like to proclaim!

I am not a fan of pils but this take on the beer type is actually quite pleasant.
    There's a tinge of bitterness as you are drinking it but t doesn't linger.
    And the bitterness there is there is enough to make it crisp but not overpowering enough to block out any subtle taste with a wall of ear wax flavor like most pils seem to achieve.

All in all a nice change from munich lager and weissbier that's my normal beer staple.

Rathaus pils is available in Ireland in the bierhaus in cork iirc. Not sure if there's an importer operating or of they do it themselves.

There's an importer. Loads of it about at the moment. One of the best pils around, IMO, but tends to be quite spendy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

65243F955DD24829ABDB465D56B00CFF.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had a lovely bottle of Leann in the Salthouse tonight on my way home from work, was, as ever, yummy.

While there Tar give me a sip of their (Galway Bay Brewery) 3rd batch of Stormy Port.
    It's a lot different than the first two, and at 5.3% abv it's no wimp either.
    More chocolate and biscuity than the last two batches but a nice amount of bitterness so it's not too sweet.

Worth a try, hopefully they find a recipe they can settle on soon, all this change has be edgy :P

• Advertisement

More chocolate? They may as well stick a label saying "Dairy Milk" on it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I just left the Bund Brewery in Shanghai.

Tried their dark beer and their lager. Really nice! But expensive, about EUR 7 a pint.

Had Headless Dog and O'Hara's IPA, not a blind tasting. Prefer O'Hara's.

Very impressed with the quality of Irish micro beer in general. The best is on a par with the best in their styles in UK, USA (imho) The Irish drinker needs to open his/her mind and help the development of local beer.

BeerNut wrote: »
    More chocolate? They may as well stick a label saying "Dairy Milk" on it at this stage.

Try it, it's not a bad thing, it's got more going on.

Dark arts in bottles in the Salthouse tonight. Much prefer this to the draft stuff!
    Lovely beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Finished all my. Xmas stock of O'Haras IPA , Galway Hookers and Helvick Gold and bought a few IPA's for tonight.

Goose Island IPA.
    Hop head from Porterhouse.
    Brewdog Punk.

Of those the goose island would by my fave, lovely session beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Seaneh wrote: »

I like them all for their different tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seaneh wrote: »
    Goose Island IPA is one of my favourite beers, but at 5.9% I wouldn't class it as a session beer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Checkpoint Charlie by the Galway hooker people. Very tasty, but the appellation "pilsner" will put off many on the assumption that it is GH's attempt to capture the smithwicks pale ale segment ie those who want a better tasting beer that is widely available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement