Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I don't know, it sounds like a good strategic move to me! If they knew that Vettel had a one point margin. And if Bottas was willing to dump his own result just to get a fastest lap.

Well, it's back to the days when a driver was ordered to retire to give his car to a more famous / higher paid team mate. Oh and as for Bottas being "willing", it's going to be "do the wingman thing or you're a pedestrian"...
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Hell that scenario of Vettel/Hamilton could be poised to play out and both Leclerc and Bottas get called in only for Verstappen to suddenly set the fastest lap.

Not going to happen - if in my scenario above Ferrari called Leclerc in to chase the fastest lap, they'd be scoring an own goal; We're talking about WDC here and if Leclerc got the fastest lap, it'd be the exact same as if Bottas did, Vettel would lose the title. It would literally create a situation where, with minimum effort, anybody on track could change the fate of the championship, regardless of position or situation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd prefer I'd they made fastest lap point to anyone outside the 10 top. Basically, sorry you're not good enough for top 10, but if you have a cracking lap we'll give you a point. It could make for interesting final laps as backmarkers all of sudden are unlapping themselves for fastest lap. I know it's not the spirit of racing, but I think that spirit left quite a while ago ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Hopefully we see 19 more of these....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Also need to consider if Red Bull/Renault are tight in constructors or even Haas/Alfa Romeo/Racing Point. They could call in their drivers aswell to chase the fastest lap point. Its not exclusive to Ferrari/Mercedes. And if Ferrari/Merc are pulling in Leclerc/Bottas solely to chase fastest lap that will then only elevate the track position and point haul of Ricciardo/Verstappen.

Will teams throw away a 4th place finish (12pts) to take say 6th + fastest lap (9 pts).

Hell that scenario of Vettel/Hamilton could be poised to play out and both Leclerc and Bottas get called in only for Verstappen to suddenly set the fastest lap.

Will teams throw away a 4th place finish (12pts) to take say 6th + fastest lap (9 pts).

Why would a team do that it would not make sense? So instead of getting 12 points they would just get 9 and that only if they got that positioning after pitting and getting back out on the track without any problems or mistakes which might cost even more. For instance if something goes wrong with the pitstop they could end up with maybe only 1 or even zero points.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's race week!!!!

That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

AMKC wrote: »

Why would a team do that it would not make sense? So instead of getting 12 points they would just get 9 and that only if they got that positioning after pitting and getting back out on the track without any problems or mistakes which might cost even more. For instance if something goes wrong with the pitstop they could end up with maybe only 1 or even zero points.

We will see some people who have a free pitstop at the end, and are in the points to try this tactic, could lead to interesting finishes with surprise safety car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,132 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

AMKC wrote: »

Exactly so the idea of teams calling in the second driver to solely chase the fastest lap is extremely unlikely if not impossible.

Ms

Harika wrote: »
    We will see some people who have a free pitstop at the end, and are in the points to try this tactic, could lead to interesting finishes with surprise safety car.

Ye maybe. They will have to be in the top 10 do. I agree that this extra point should have been available to all 20 drivers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

D1eJRqBWsAApL8G.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

14 days for us here to watch the replays. Sky really have tied now the rights.

riggerman wrote: »
    14 days for us here to watch the replays. Sky really have tied now the rights.

There are ways to subscribe to the full version in Ireland and get full product.
    I am looking forward to watching the races on Sky F1 4K with Atmos sound and using the iPad to track Vettel and also tune into the dedicated pitlane channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

TCP/IP wrote: »
    There are ways to subscribe to the full version in Ireland and get full product.
    I am looking forward to watching the races on Sky F1 4K with Atmos sound and using the iPad to track Vettel and also tune into the dedicated pitlane channel.

No doubt it's a fine product, it's damn near extortionate to pay for though. Particularly for those of us who only want to have access to F1, the problem being you need to buy access to a huge amount of other channels that aren't remotely of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Inviere wrote: »
    No doubt it's a fine product, it's damn near extortionate to pay for though. Particularly for those of us who only want to have access to F1, the problem being you need to buy access to a huge amount of other channels that aren't remotely of interest.

Probably been discussed already but

A way around that is to just pay for the sky sports mobile TV app... Its like 14€ a month for all the sports channels with no contract.

Could be a solution to people who don't want to/cant sign up to Sky tv although I don't know what the stream quality is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Rossi IRL wrote: »

A way around that is to just pay for the sky sports mobile TV app... Its like 14€ a month for all the sports channels with no contract.

Could be a solution to people who don't want to/cant sign up to Sky tv although I don't know what the stream quality is like.

You can't cast to screen. Will only work on a phone.

But you can use your three pay as you go credit to purchase a pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

recyclebin wrote: »
    You can't cast to screen. Will only work on a phone.
    Next to useless so. Even if I was inclined to sell my soul to sky, I don't even have the option. Not available in my apartment block :mad:

Rossi IRL wrote: »

And watch F1 on a phone? Not a hope. If you could cast it I'd be interested, but alas it seems you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Exactly so the idea of teams calling in the second driver to solely chase the fastest lap is extremely unlikely if not impossible.

It WILL absolutely happen if taking that point away from a competitor means something - as in my example, taking that one point means "nothing" for the driver taking it, but it'd let your other guy walk with a championship.

Inviere wrote: »
    And watch F1 on a phone? Not a hope. If you could cast it I'd be interested, but alas it seems you can't.

Just get a F1TV Pro subscription and with their upcoming Apple TV or Android TV app and away you go.

Just get a F1TV Pro subscription and with their upcoming Apple TV or Android TV app and away you go.

Seems the way to go ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It WILL absolutely happen if taking that point away from a competitor means something - as in my example, taking that one point means "nothing" for the driver taking it, but it'd let your other guy walk with a championship.

Then it just becomes a case of team orders. F1 is a team sport and team orders are legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Bit late, but if anyone is interested I'm going to set the fantasy league we had on superbru last year, again this year

Fantasy League
    https://www.superbru.com/f1fantasy/pool.php?p=12013782

Predictor League
    https://www.superbru.com/f1/pool.php?p=12013783

Or Just Join both, I'll try to make it a more interesting or rewarding year this year if we have enough people

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Bit late, but if anyone is interested I'm going to set the fantasy league we had on superbru last year, again this year

Fantasy League
    https://www.superbru.com/f1fantasy/pool.php?p=12013782

Predictor League
    https://www.superbru.com/f1/pool.php?p=12013783

Or Just Join both, I'll try to make it a more interesting or rewarding year this year if we have enough people

There is also "Boards.ie Motorsport" fantasy league on fantasy.formula1.com

Any chance you can PM me the details to get the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

There is also "Boards.ie Motorsport" fantasy league on fantasy.formula1.com

Have you got a link to that one?
    Can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,132 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Any clues for someone who hasnt played before? Re. Formula1.com version

antodeco wrote: »
    Any chance you can PM me the details to get the above?

The Apple TV and Andriod apps have not been released yet but they have committed to deliver them this year and I would expect them very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying it, excellent way to get ready for next week. Horner comes across as a complete knob, Steiner is hilarious!

I thought Abiteboul came across as an even bigger knob tbh :) I never knew Hulkenberg and Magnusson hated each other as much either. Great series. Well worth a binge before the new season starts.

Ms

useless wrote: »
    I thought Abiteboul came across as an even bigger knob tbh :) I never knew Hulkenberg and Magnusson hated each other as much either. Great series. Well worth a binge before the new season starts.

Just starting watching it today myself. Must say its really good. Netfliks have done a very good job making it. Really nice to see some of the things that happen in the background like Riccardo trying to decide what to do next or the Haas team and others as they got ready for Melbourne and after they had there feck up in the pitstops etc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very sad news, RIP Charlie, the man who frequently kept his head when all around lost theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Recliner

Just read it on Christian Horner's Instagram. Shocked. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That's sad, rip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Shocking news to wake up to.
    Looks as though they do have a deputy to keep things rolling for the weekend however.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just read it on BBC sport, shocked by that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

That's really sad. One of those ever present characters in the paddock with a proper F1 pedigree.
    Serious downer for the season opener and he'll be a very hard man to replace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jesus, that's shocking!

At first I thought it was Bernie (wasn't fully awake, and not that it would be "easier"), but Charlie at 66, very sad. Preparing to get ready for the new season, probably stressed and excited in equal measure. He'll be massively missed, even in name only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Poor Charlie, from the small bit we saw of him he came across as a nice guy

RIP Charlie an F1 legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I'm doing well, joint first at the minute :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm doing well, joint first at the minute :P

With 'One Lap Wonder Racing Car Systems'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sorry to hear of Charlie's death. Will be a sad time for a while at races. Rest in peace.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sad to hear that news. RIP
    Heres ths BBC report
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47564762

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Sad news, I wonder who'll step in and take over now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sad news, I wonder who'll step in and take over now.

The above BBC article says Michael Masi for this weekend atleast.
    Australian Michael Masi will take Whiting's place as race director, safety delegate and permanent starter this weekend in Melbourne.

Masi has been race director of Australia's V8 Supercars series for the past four years.

Ms

That's very sad news and no doubt is a huge loss to Formula1. As said above he will be very hard replace.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement