Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'd actually wouldn't be a tad sporty but I'd know who he is but I didn't really know him in his wedding photo.
    I know some guys who tired to do similar and they were generally just trying to be cool and popular sometimes hoping to set a trend.
    There's no way that trend is ever going to catch on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dickface

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Transgender for under 18s

The problem is if they transition after 18 they look very manly, why some Thai ones look so good, they started early on the hormones + some genetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Seeing sweetcorn on people's Christmas dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The craze over the last few years for doughnuts with it's own weight in crap on top of it. Nothing wrong with a fresh plain doughnut or maybe a bit of jam or cream, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Americans pronouncing herbs as erbs. Like fingers on a blackboard.

That wedding suit and shoes are hilariously bad. Put on some socks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Hadleigh Fat Magenta

People who lap up the nonsense Blindboy boatclub sprouts

Papers filling up with supposed "news" of Amy Huberman, Roz Purcell, Roseanna Davidson (and the other z listers)...you must have some emotional trauma/issues if you find Amz talking about her new carpet or Roseanna Davidsons' take on parenting....who is the target for this nonsense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

bluewolf wrote: »
    That wedding suit and shoes are hilariously bad. Put on some socks

White sports socks with 2 blues stripes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

People who lap up the nonsense Blindboy boatclub sprouts

Papers filling up with supposed "news" of Amy Huberman, Roz Purcell, Roseanna Davidson (and the other z listers)...you must have some emotional trauma/issues if you find Amz talking about her new carpet or Roseanna Davidsons' take on parenting....who is the target for this nonsense

Men are the target marketfor a lot of the "articles" on rosanna Davison.

Oh heres some ****e she said with a pic of her in a miniskirt and tits pushed up.

Ps - i read every article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Most unnnecessary techno gadgets these days. Ever larger phones..how big does something need to be to go on facebook and text people?Camera quality getting imperceptibly better with each generation..the quality was absolutely fine about 5 iphones ago. That alexa thing, my family spend ten minutes shouting at it so it understands when you could just press a button in a second..my dad installed this app where you can switch off the lights in the house at once on your phone..all just such unnecessary inventions for such incredibly simple tasks that dont need any modernising or extra convenience. It all seems like a waste of money to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For all the ‘dudes’ slagging Philly... get your own photos up, come on only fair...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Strumms wrote: »
    For all the ‘dudes’ slagging Philly... get your own photos up, come on only fair...

Who is Philly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Strumms wrote: »

I shared a photo of where looked fairly good also. People are commenting on the look more than the person but he's the one who shared his photo on Instagram and got into the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

The desire to emigrate, just hate the idea of living outside of Ireland.

The way some people almost look down on others because they want to stay living where they grew up or move back there when it’s time to settle down - particularly in relation to rural areas.

I would have the opposite view point. I was always curious about the world and new experiences. Which is why I moved about. I guess I just get bored easily.

I never understood what I saw as some people’s lack of ambition, curiosity or sense of adventure but I never looked down on them.

I am still friends with many people I grew up with even though we have very different interests, experiences and perspectives about things.

Different strokes for different folks is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

Multiquoting - why bother

In-car technology- who needs it

Social media- fukk right off with that sh1t

Catholicism- fairy stories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

The majority of other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

wakka12 wrote: »
    Most unnnecessary techno gadgets these days. Ever larger phones..how big does something need to be to go on facebook and text people?Camera quality getting imperceptibly better with each generation..the quality was absolutely fine about 5 iphones ago. That alexa thing, my family spend ten minutes shouting at it so it understands when you could just press a button in a second..my dad installed this app where you can switch off the lights in the house at once on your phone..all just such unnecessary inventions for such incredibly simple tasks that dont need any modernising or extra convenience. It all seems like a waste of money to me

Being able to turn the lights on and off with your phone is a good security feature to have. You can turn your lights on and off while being anywhere in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Seamai wrote: »
    The craze over the last few years for doughnuts with it's own weight in crap on top of it. Nothing wrong with a fresh plain doughnut or maybe a bit of jam or cream, nothing more.
    I think they aim them at the student market, I was walking past one of the shops recently and they cost 3 euro each, it's the students you see with boxes of them usually, I wouldn't pay 3 euro for a doughnut if my life depended on it. Deep fried crap with more sugary crap on top.

Of course there’s nothing wrong with one but that doesn’t mean they can’t be improved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Bikes without back mudguards, when did mudgoards become so uncool? I was in the National Park in Killarney today, 9 out of every 10 cyclists that passed had no back mudguard and as a result had a spray of mud and pony sh*t (from the jaunting cars) up their backside and back. Do people not see this as a huge messy inconvenience that could be solved with a simple piece of metal?
    Bikes without lights and bikes on foot paths. It's supposed to be illegal now to not have a light on the bike and if someone doesn't want to cycle on the road then leave the bike at home, I'm sick of idiots on bikes either ringing a bell at me to move out of their way or whizzing past me on the path. Worse still is those fools with the seizure inducing flashing lights on bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    There's no way that trend is ever going to catch on :p

who knows, if someone like ronaldo or conor mcgregor started walking around bare foot, you can be sure people would copy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

pgj2015 wrote: »
    who knows, if someone like ronaldo or conor mcgregor started walking around bare foot, you can be sure people would copy them.

The funny thing about this is.
    I know the odd person sho goes for the no socks looks however during the Summer for some reason when they are wearing shorts they make sure to wear white one pulled up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

adox wrote: »
    Being able to turn the lights on and off with your phone is a good security feature to have. You can turn your lights on and off while being anywhere in the world.

I get by with plug-in timers and dawn to dusk light switch fittings (using them at holiday times for years and years).... and my house is not at increased risk of a cyber attack/privacy breech because of the amount of 'internet of things' gadgets hanging off it and all proclaiming their existence to the world.

A lot of the modern tech things that you can do, are a case of being sold a high tech solution for something that wasn't a problem to begin with.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I get by with plug-in timers and dawn to dusk light switch fittings (using them at holiday times for years and years).... and my house is not at increased risk of a cyber attack/privacy breech because of the amount of 'internet of things' gadgets hanging off it and all proclaiming their existence to the world.

A lot of the modern tech things that you can do, are a case of being sold a high tech solution for something that wasn't a problem to begin with.

Some of the WiFi stuff is handy enough

I'm in the electrical game but not made about it, a lot of tech for the sake of tech imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

People who love the EU and without evidence seem to think they have some sort of power

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

You and I don't consider it a problem to put in the slightly greater amount of effort to operate household utilities manually, but more and more people will and they'll happily trade privacy, security and control of their home in exchange for the slightly greater convenience offered by the IoT.

Essentially people are being conditioned by tech to become ever lazier, more impatient and more dependant on their phone and similar devices. Automated cars will become ubiquitous not because they'll be better than a human driver but because they'll let people stay glued to their Instagram at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    White sports socks with 2 blues stripes ;)

Yes that would certainly improve the look....:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Employers looking for ridiculous levels of experience for pretty basic jobs.

Employers looking for ridiculous levels of experience for pretty basic jobs.

That drives me up the wall

Are they just chancing their arm looking for the perfect candidate

So many applicants for jobs now that they might as well. They’ve all gone seriously specific for required past experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The sad thing is, you're probably right.

Maybe you just aren’t into tech? Ever since I was a child I’ve been into tech and new innovations etc. It’s been the way I’ve gone with my career and it’s a big interest and hobby of mine outside of work.

The smart home stuff is a big one for me now. I’ve loads of the stuff, have amazon echos in most rooms and heating, lights, plugs etc controlled by Alexa and by apps. Building a house now and it’s gong to have smart planned into it from day one, every switch, every plug, heating, door locks, gates, garage door, security system etc will all be smart and controllable by apps and Alexa.

I have to time at all for the tin foil had stuff you hear about smart devices either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Maybe you just aren’t into tech? Ever since I was a child I’ve been into tech and new innovations etc. It’s been the way I’ve gone with my career and it’s a big interest and hobby of mine outside of work.

The smart home stuff is a big one for me now. I’ve loads of the stuff, have amazon echos in most rooms and heating, lights, plugs etc controlled by Alexa and by apps. Building a house now and it’s gong to have smart planned into it from day one, every switch, every plug, heating, door locks, gates, garage door, security system etc will all be smart and controllable by apps and Alexa.

I have to time at all for the tin foil had stuff you hear about smart devices either.

I am very much into tech and have raspberry pi units doing various things for me including, music/video streaming from a networked hard disc, I use wifi radio because I live in a area of bad Fm coverage. The difference is I did it myself and I know how it is all set up and what it is doing. I use tech solutions for problems that I want to solve, as said previously, sometimes these days the tech solution comes before the problem and people are influenced by suggestion.

I did have my christmas tree lights controlled by a home made wifi enabled extension lead, but I quickly got bored with that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Bikes without lights and bikes on foot paths. It's supposed to be illegal now to not have a light on the bike and if someone doesn't want to cycle on the road then leave the bike at home, I'm sick of idiots on bikes either ringing a bell at me to move out of their way or whizzing past me on the path. Worse still is those fools with the seizure inducing flashing lights on bikes.

Don't get me started on cyclists on footpaths, when are they going to get that that are the ones in the wrong?

Don't get me started on cyclists on footpaths, when are they going to get that that are the ones in the wrong?

No matter where they go or what they do, cyclists will never feel they are wrong.

I don't get the irrational hatred of cyclists. They rarely hurt anyone other than themselves and allow traffic flow more freely. I rarely cycle myself but have often seen blind rage from drivers in the odd time that I did.
    Similar to dogs running wild in the park I would guess people want public amenities to themselves and aren't mature enough to understand that they have to share. I have similar issues with my 3 year old but she is getting better at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭smilerf

Americans fascination with memes
    They are childish and idiotic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

The amount of people I hear saying that they can't stand new year's eve and they're not going out.

Ok christmas can be costly and maybe people have sore heads but why take it out on new year's eve?

It's a decent night out and probably the last one for a few weeks for a lot of people, go enjoy it ffs!!

No need for a lot of it

Who needs needs smart control of an immersion heater

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    No need for a lot of it

Someone who wants to be able to turn it on remotely whenever or wherever they want.

Who needs anything except bread and water?

• Advertisement

Someone who wants to be able to turn it on remotely whenever or wherever they want.

Who needs anything except bread and water?
    I'm in the electrical business but still..

Why would u need to turn on an immersion heater at random times?

I'm in the electrical business but still..

Why would u need to turn on an immersion heater at random times?

Because you might not live your life to a regimented schedule. And even if you do, things might change the odd day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

No need for a lot of it

Who needs cars when we had horses. Or electricity. Or mobiles when we already had phone boxes everywhere. Or email when we had postal services.

One regularly asked question is about immersion timers. Add in a sonoff WiFi switch and you now have a programmable timer and status viewable setup with phone. No more wondering has someone left the immersion on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The amount of people I hear saying that they can't stand new year's eve and they're not going out...
    It's a decent night out and probably the last one for a few weeks for a lot of people, go enjoy it ffs!!

Actually it's not, everywhere packed, places charging extra for addmittance and long wait for taxi home. It ranges between a rubbish night and an ok night, better off drinking at home

Greyfox wrote: »
    Actually it's not, everywhere packed, places charging extra for addmittance and long wait for taxi home. It ranges between a rubbish night and an ok night, better off drinking at home

Exactly. I’d rather be among the people I love than a huge crowd of people I hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Bruthal wrote: »
    Who needs cars when we had horses. Or electricity. Or mobiles when we already had phone boxes everywhere. Or email when we had postal services.

One regularly asked question is about immersion timers. Add in a sonoff WiFi switch and you now have a programmable timer and status viewable setup with phone. No more wondering has someone left the immersion on.

Your first paragraph is talking about things that make a significant difference. Your 2nd paragraph is talking about a completely unnecessary gimmick so I take it you accept the poster your quoting is correct.

New tech is cool but a lot of the industr is inventing solutions to things that didn't really need to be solved and are there just to save a lazy person a few minutes

Haha I've heard all that before.

Maybe that's the case if you go out in a city for new year's but I don't, I stick to the local pubs (do about 2 or 3, maybe 4 at a push). Good crowds but never uncomfortably packed, no admittance charges at all, you just walk straight in, get a taxi home handy enough and have a good night out.

Or sit at home depressed trying to convince yourself you made the correct decision, while drawing up all the 'new year, new me' plans :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Your first paragraph is talking about things that make a significant difference. Your 2nd paragraph is talking about a completely unnecessary gimmick so I take it you accept the poster your quoting is correct.

New tech is cool but a lot of the industr is inventing solutions to things that didn't really need to be solved and are there just to save a lazy person a few minutes
    That's always been the way and not just with tech. It's called opportunities and given how long it takes people to realise they don't need it , a goldmine.

Exactly. I’d rather be among the people I love than a huge crowd of people I hate.

Jaysus so would I, and not only at new year's, that goes for the whole year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Haha I've heard all that before.

Maybe that's the case if you go out in a city for new year's but I don't, I stick to the local pubs (do about 2 or 3, maybe 4 at a push). Good crowds but never uncomfortably packed, no admittance charges at all, you just walk straight in, get a taxi home handy enough and have a good night out.

Or sit at home depressed trying to convince yourself you made the correct decision, while drawing up all the 'new year, new me' plans :-)

Yes, they are the only two options.

Advertisement