Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

The desire to emigrate, just hate the idea of living outside of Ireland.

The way some people almost look down on others because they want to stay living where they grew up or move back there when it’s time to settle down - particularly in relation to rural areas.
    Some people always want to leave and others always want to stay, it's just the way it's always been. Some are happy with what they have and others want something more. The problems come when like at Christmas, people come back for a while and they have stories they want to tell about how great their new lives are. The people that moved on changed and so did the people that stayed behind. Sure, people will meet up to catch up but they do it out of habit or obligation, they're strangers now and always will be and that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Who's the fella in the check suit and brown shoes?

Philly McMahon.
    The same guy as got married a few posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Some people always want to leave and others always want to stay, it's just the way it's always been. Some are happy with what they have and others want something more. The problems come when like at Christmas, people come back for a while and they have stories they want to tell about how great their new lives are. The people that moved on changed and so did the people that stayed behind. Sure, people will meet up to catch up but they do it out of habit or obligation, they're strangers now and always will be and that's fine.

something more or something different? just because you leave Ireland doesnt mean you have something more than the guy who stayed in Ireland. the guy who stays in Ireland or even his home town might have a business, a house, a nice car, a family, great friend etc. The guy who moved to australia might be living in a small rented flat, have a poor paying job, no friends etc

pgj2015 wrote: »
    something more or something different? just because you leave Ireland doesnt mean you have something more than the guy who stayed in Ireland. the guy who stays in Ireland or even his home town might have a business, a house, a nice car, a family, great friend etc. The guy who moved to australia might be living in a small rented flat, have a poor paying job, no friends etc
    Something more than what they're used to. I've seen it with a lot of groups of local Milennials they've known each other most of their lives, hung out with the same crowd since they were teenagers, gone to the same parties and the same pubs with the same people and formed tight little groups. Then one day the girls turn 30 and realise that tick tock went the biological clock, they've hit 30 are single and still doing the same old same old and they need to make a change or get left behind. So they emigrate.

There's probably something similar for the lads. Some people are happy with their routine others want out. Nothing wrong with staying nothing wrong with leaving. It's not so much about material things so much as some people feel like they need to leave to fully breathe and be themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I think he looks very pale on his wedding day compared to him here. His wedding suit really washed him out.
    Gibson%20All%20Ireland%20Dinner%20Dublin%20Player%207%202.jpg
    How does he manage to look better in a random photo than he does in his wedding one? You have months and months to look your best at your wedding and he wore an ill fitting suit that displayed his ankles :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Bikes without back mudguards, when did mudgoards become so uncool? I was in the National Park in Killarney today, 9 out of every 10 cyclists that passed had no back mudguard and as a result had a spray of mud and pony sh*t (from the jaunting cars) up their backside and back. Do people not see this as a huge messy inconvenience that could be solved with a simple piece of metal?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    How does he manage to look better in a random photo than he does in his wedding one? You have months and months to look your best at your wedding and he wore an ill fitting suit that displayed his ankles :confused:

I'm not sure.
    The guy who dressed him for his wedding defended him for wearing what he wore and put him in for his wedding.
    I think Philly was probally trying to look cool and fashionable for his big day but he may have got it a little wrong in my opinion.
    People always nearly tell brides and sometimes grooms they look great when they try something on no matter how they look.

I'm not sure.
    The guy who dressed him for his wedding defended him for wearing what he wore and put him in for his wedding.
    I think Philly was probally trying to look cool and fashionable for his big day but he may have got it a little wrong in my opinion.
    People always nearly tell brides and sometimes grooms they look great when they try something on no matter how they look.
    So he actually paid a stylist to look that bad? It all makes sense now. People pay stupid money to look edgy and in vogue, but just end up looking ridiculous!

I can understand telling a bride or groom they look fabulous on the day of their wedding (you'd have to be an awful person to say otherwise) but in the run up to a wedding someone should take them aside and have a talk with them.

So he actually paid a stylist to look that bad? It all makes sense now. People pay stupid money to look edgy and in vogue, but just end up looking ridiculous!

I can understand telling a bride or groom they look fabulous on the day of their wedding (you'd have to be an awful person to say otherwise) but in the run up to a wedding someone should take them aside and have a talk with them.

I think it was the owner of a shop or taylor who dresses him.
    I think people just do it to keep them happy. If they say they are happy you go along with it. People nearly start threads if somebody says they don't like there wedding dress in advance of the wedding.

I think it was the owner of a shop or taylor who dresses him.
    I think people just do it to keep them happy. If they say they are happy you go along with it. People nearly start threads if somebody says they don't like there wedding dress in advance of the wedding.
    I get that the bride and groom have their perfect day and no one gets to say anything bad etc etc but how on earth do two people get it so wrong? No one on this thread seems to know who they are but everyone thinks his suit is awful. It wouldn't be as bad if it covered his ankles but there is so much wrong with it. And I get the impression that this is a couple who want attention.

• Advertisement

I get that the bride and groom have their perfect day and no one gets to say anything bad etc etc but how on earth do two people get it so wrong? No one on this thread seems to know who they are but everyone thinks his suit is awful. It wouldn't be as bad if it covered his ankles but there is so much wrong with it. And I get the impression that this is a couple who want attention.

I'd actually wouldn't be a tad sporty but I'd know who he is but I didn't really know him in his wedding photo.
    I know some guys who tired to do similar and they were generally just trying to be cool and popular sometimes hoping to set a trend.

I'd actually wouldn't be a tad sporty but I'd know who he is but I didn't really know him in his wedding photo.
    I know some guys who tired to do similar and they were generally just trying to be cool and popular sometimes hoping to set a trend.
    There's no way that trend is ever going to catch on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dickface

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Transgender for under 18s

The problem is if they transition after 18 they look very manly, why some Thai ones look so good, they started early on the hormones + some genetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Seeing sweetcorn on people's Christmas dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The craze over the last few years for doughnuts with it's own weight in crap on top of it. Nothing wrong with a fresh plain doughnut or maybe a bit of jam or cream, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Americans pronouncing herbs as erbs. Like fingers on a blackboard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That wedding suit and shoes are hilariously bad. Put on some socks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭TheDavester

People who lap up the nonsense Blindboy boatclub sprouts

Papers filling up with supposed "news" of Amy Huberman, Roz Purcell, Roseanna Davidson (and the other z listers)...you must have some emotional trauma/issues if you find Amz talking about her new carpet or Roseanna Davidsons' take on parenting....who is the target for this nonsense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

bluewolf wrote: »
    That wedding suit and shoes are hilariously bad. Put on some socks

White sports socks with 2 blues stripes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

People who lap up the nonsense Blindboy boatclub sprouts

Papers filling up with supposed "news" of Amy Huberman, Roz Purcell, Roseanna Davidson (and the other z listers)...you must have some emotional trauma/issues if you find Amz talking about her new carpet or Roseanna Davidsons' take on parenting....who is the target for this nonsense

Men are the target marketfor a lot of the "articles" on rosanna Davison.

Oh heres some ****e she said with a pic of her in a miniskirt and tits pushed up.

Ps - i read every article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Most unnnecessary techno gadgets these days. Ever larger phones..how big does something need to be to go on facebook and text people?Camera quality getting imperceptibly better with each generation..the quality was absolutely fine about 5 iphones ago. That alexa thing, my family spend ten minutes shouting at it so it understands when you could just press a button in a second..my dad installed this app where you can switch off the lights in the house at once on your phone..all just such unnecessary inventions for such incredibly simple tasks that dont need any modernising or extra convenience. It all seems like a waste of money to me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For all the ‘dudes’ slagging Philly... get your own photos up, come on only fair...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Strumms wrote: »
    For all the ‘dudes’ slagging Philly... get your own photos up, come on only fair...

Who is Philly?

Strumms wrote: »

I shared a photo of where looked fairly good also. People are commenting on the look more than the person but he's the one who shared his photo on Instagram and got into the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

The desire to emigrate, just hate the idea of living outside of Ireland.

The way some people almost look down on others because they want to stay living where they grew up or move back there when it’s time to settle down - particularly in relation to rural areas.

I would have the opposite view point. I was always curious about the world and new experiences. Which is why I moved about. I guess I just get bored easily.

I never understood what I saw as some people’s lack of ambition, curiosity or sense of adventure but I never looked down on them.

I am still friends with many people I grew up with even though we have very different interests, experiences and perspectives about things.

Different strokes for different folks is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

Multiquoting - why bother

In-car technology- who needs it

Social media- fukk right off with that sh1t

Catholicism- fairy stories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

The majority of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

wakka12 wrote: »
    Most unnnecessary techno gadgets these days. Ever larger phones..how big does something need to be to go on facebook and text people?Camera quality getting imperceptibly better with each generation..the quality was absolutely fine about 5 iphones ago. That alexa thing, my family spend ten minutes shouting at it so it understands when you could just press a button in a second..my dad installed this app where you can switch off the lights in the house at once on your phone..all just such unnecessary inventions for such incredibly simple tasks that dont need any modernising or extra convenience. It all seems like a waste of money to me

Being able to turn the lights on and off with your phone is a good security feature to have. You can turn your lights on and off while being anywhere in the world.

Seamai wrote: »
    The craze over the last few years for doughnuts with it's own weight in crap on top of it. Nothing wrong with a fresh plain doughnut or maybe a bit of jam or cream, nothing more.
    I think they aim them at the student market, I was walking past one of the shops recently and they cost 3 euro each, it's the students you see with boxes of them usually, I wouldn't pay 3 euro for a doughnut if my life depended on it. Deep fried crap with more sugary crap on top.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »

Of course there’s nothing wrong with one but that doesn’t mean they can’t be improved.

Advertisement