Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Vulgar Favours, a true crime account of the murder of Versace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

recyclops wrote: »
    only getting around to the dark tower series now, ( 33 years old dont know how i never started)

just finished the drawing of the three and all i can say is WOW

I'm in a similar position. Have it queued up on the Kindle to read next.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Is that her real surname?😊

I think so :) she's an American author

Currently reading Past Mortems by Carla Valentine

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Just finished "The North Water" by Ian McGuire.
    Victorian era novel set in the dying days of the whaling industry.

This novel plays out in a tough world & is an unrelenting, exciting & violent read.

I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

A ton of Malice - Barry McKinly

Half way thru, very enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates. The protagonist is a racist, sexist, bigoted evangelical Christian whom I thoroughly hate. I'm bet into it.

A Storm of Swords 2: Blood and Gold by George R.R Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just finished Call of the Wild by Jack London. Fantastic little book that I should have read years ago as a teenager. Starting White Fang next.

kimokanto wrote: »
    Just finished "The North Water" by Ian McGuire.
    Victorian era novel set in the dying days of the whaling industry.

This novel plays out in a tough world & is an unrelenting, exciting & violent read.

I loved it

Sounds like my kind of book...just ordered it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Reading a thriller is a change of pace for me but this one was recommended to me by friends and work colleagues ,so decided to give it a go.
    Just finished chapter two and I may already be hooked.:D
    Critics are calling I AM PILGRIM Unputdownable ,Booklist The best book of 2014 Suspense Magazine The next Girl with the Dragon Tattoo , The New York Post A breakneck race against time and an implacable enemy An anonymous young woman murdered in a run down hotel all identifying characteristics dissolved by acid. A father publicly beheaded in the blistering heat of a Saudi Arabian public square .A notorious Syrian biotech expert found eyeless in a Damascus junkyard Smoldering human remains on a remote mountainside in Afghanistan. A flawless plot to commit an appalling crime against humanity .One path links them all and only one man can make the journey

• Advertisement

Reading a thriller is a change of pace for me but this one was recommended to me by friends and work colleagues ,so decided to give it a go.

Was very underwhelmed with this book to be honest and can't see what all the fuss is about. Lags badly in the middle and only picks up near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I loved this book, not the kind of thing I usually read very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lancaster against York by Trevor Royle. After reading some fictionalized history on the war of the Roses I decided to read something more non fiction based. He also has a book on the Cromwellian wars which I might read at some point.
    Also the North Water, mentioned above, sounds good. Going to read that next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I just bought Frank Herbert's Dune novel along with Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Can't wait to get stuck into them as i've been really eager to read Dune for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I just bought Frank Herbert's Dune novel along with Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Can't wait to get stuck into them as i've been really eager to read Dune for a while now.

Dune really is a fantastic book, massive scope and still an allegory for so much of the world.

I'd recommend God Emperor too, the later books and in particular the cash ins by Herberts son are poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I started The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

gutenberg wrote: »

Definitely up there as my favourite book that I read last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

gutenberg wrote: »

That book is unreal. Up there with one of my favourites.

Fatherland by Robert Harris. More of a thriller than I was expecting which I wouldnt usually read but very enjoyable all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Tatooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The Tatooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris.

How are you finding it? I recently read The Choice by Edith Ever and it was a very interesting read. Thinking of buying this one next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

appledrop wrote: »
    How are you finding it? I recently read The Choice by Edith Ever and it was a very interesting read. Thinking of buying this one next.

I've an interest in history and have a 'gra' for WW2 to be honest, so just finding another viewpoint on this terrible time.

Saying that, the story itself is interesting, and the subjects pov is quite original and yet so very , very central to the full horrors of Auschwitz. It's really amazing how Man can be so barbaric and yet also amazing how Man can struggle to survive that very barbarity.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like an interesting read definitely on the list for the next book. If we get this snow in that we are promised I'll be flying through them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Dune is an amazing read, enjoy it, probably my all time favourite.

Right so finished reading Fatherland. I did really enjoy it but disappointed with the ending. Anyone else feel the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Reading a physics book called
    “the greatest story ever ...so far. Why are we here” by Lawrence M Krauss.

I have a biochemistry background and physics is not my strongpoint but this book is giving me a much better understanding of quantum mechanics.
    Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

I recently finished David Szalay's book - "All that man is"
    It reads more like a collection of short stories than a novel but this in no way reduces the quality of this book.
    There is a subtlety & simplicity to his writing which belies its magnificance.
    Bleak at times but touchingly sensative & funny also.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

Just finished The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtenay. Part 1 of a trilogy. From 19th C London to the convict colony of Van Diemen's Land, a really good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

appledrop wrote:
    Right so finished reading Fatherland. I did really enjoy it but disappointed with the ending. Anyone else feel the same?

It's on the list!! Just finished Conclave which wasn't bad, intriguing ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ferney, by James Long.

I appreciate a lot of work went into the historical research for this novel, and the writing is quite beautiful at times, but I just couldn't get on board with the central love story. I didn't identify with the characters and
    I found myself sympathising with the husband.
    I don't think I'll bother with the sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The complete Sherlock Holmes.

I only really got into reading as a twenty something. I was a nerd reader as a teenager and didn't read a lot of fiction. Only getting around to most of the classics now.

Still better late that never. Almost finished reading outliers by your man Malcolm Gladwell and am just about to start a book on fifa corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman, the follow-up to the His Dark Materials series.

I'm always surprised at how well Pullman captures the world from the point of view of a child. It feels very real.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Malari wrote: »
    Ferney, by James Long.

I appreciate a lot of work went into the historical research for this novel, and the writing is quite beautiful at times, but I just couldn't get on board with the central love story. I didn't identify with the characters and
    I found myself sympathising with the husband.
    I don't think I'll bother with the sequel.

I absolutely LLLOVE that book!!! I read it back in 1998, mind you. I agree with what you're saying about
    the husband
    , but I thought the story was so brilliant I was completely hooked (again, this was 20 years ago).

The sequel ("The Lives She Left Behind"), which is set something like 15 years later (I can't remember exactly), answers some of the questions left from "Ferney" and is one of those books you can't stop reading, it's written beautifully and is very well structured, and again the historical part is very well researched, too, but I felt disappointed by the ending, I felt like James Long wanted to put a very definite stop to any chance of a further volume - to me it sounded like the editors forced him to write it - either that or he got fed up and put those characters behind him ages before he had finished to write the sequel.

James Long (who has also written a couple of books along the same lines under the pseudonym Will Davenport - "The Sinner" and "The Painter", if I remember correctly), used to be a BBC journalist. His first few novels were mostly crime/thrillers/espionage type of things, but he has an obvious passion for history. He has also co-written "The Plot Against Pepys" with his historian son Ben Long .

He's one of my favourite authors (and I don't even like history). :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Vojera wrote: »
    I'm reading The Book of Dust[/i] by Philip Pullman, the follow-up to the His Dark Materials series.

I'm always surprised at how well Pullman captures the world from the point of view of a child. It feels very real.

That's on my wishlist. :) Chapters, wait 'till I get to Dublin! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

On Writing by Stephen King
    Read it before, reading it now, and will read it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

New Home wrote: »
    I absolutely LLLOVE that book!!! I read it back in 1998, mind you. I agree with what you're saying about
    the husband
    , but I thought the story was so brilliant I was completely hooked (again, this was 20 years ago).

That's interesting, New Home! I actually found the story not imaginative enough! Not the history aspects, perhaps, but just
    more detail on how they came to find each other repeatedly, more depth of character, more on how they dealt with the practicalities of returning to the same village.

I've read many of Claire North's books, some with a similar-ish theme, and the protagonists are often
    self-centred and morally dubious, which I don't have a problem with because I was interested in them. I just didn't care about Ferney and Gally...I cared about Mike! :D

Just finished reading A Life In Parts by Bryan Cranston. I enjoyed it, great actor and seems like a nice guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

For some reason, I want to go back to reading James A. Michener even though I still have books from Christmas to read. Hawaii is up there with my favorite books.

Business Analysis for Dummies. Interesting and I do feel quite slow in understanding it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Gallery of the Dead by Chris Carter

I love my crime thrillers and his are gruesome, gory and I love his twisted mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

The Iliad. Read it years ago but a recent podcast put me in the humour to read it again. It's excellent, but my god I'd forgotten how bloody it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Business Analysis for Dummies. Interesting and I do feel quite slow in understanding it all.

The wolf's gold(Empire) Anthony Riches,,,,,number 5/6 in the empire series, good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The man in the high castle , Philip K. Dick , enjoying so far ,another troubled genius I’m afraid .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The Welsh Triangle Revisited by Peter Paget.

It's great fun.

Friend request by Laura Marshall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Brave by Rose McGowan.

One of those books you can't put down dread picking up.

Half way through and so far she's just been a bratty narcissist with seemingly zero self awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Running ---- Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Good insight into him, Interesting fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Picked up Colin Bateman's "Mystery Man" for some light reading and loving it. It's about the owner of a book shop who becomes a private detective pretty much by accident when the owner of the agency next door disappears and falls into a case involving murder, nazis and customers who are "a heady mix of silent-but-deadly farters, shoplifters, alcoholics, and students".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Temporarily bookless; rereading some Karin Slaughter. Must download something from Gutenberg ...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement