Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It's a little darker, but he doesn't really look Indian in the real official portrait either. This seems to the photo the real portrait is based on:

So, what are you trying to say. He is trying to hide the fact he is Indian? Perhaps he should change his last name then too.

Regarding the photo It could the flash itself and anyone who knows anything about ISO and the flash of camera will know that that it will whiten out a face. I suppose they should have gotten a PC approved indian flash..:roll eyes: or photoshopped it to make it darker so the precious princess race baiters here and elsewhere don't feel so offended about a stupid picture of some dude on the other side of the world they have never met..!!

Seriously though are we really going to start a discussion on the how red/brown the guys portrait is? Scraping the bottom of a barrel if you ask me. Perhaps you should read Bobby Jindals comments on this incident, the more people go on about it, the more he is right IMO.

I note that you fail to point out that Jindal in his official portrait is still signifcantly whiter, and incidentally has his facial features shaped to make him look more Caucasoid to boot, than in real life.

So, again you proceed to present an epic fail on your own account as a failure of others. Well done, jank.

Not at all, the original photo that was posted was factually not his official portrait as was initially claimed by Robin. Pointing this out means we know now what the official portrait is. Truth wins out does it not. I thought Atheists like truth :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

jank wrote: »
    So, what are you trying to say. He is trying to hide the fact he is Indian? Perhaps he should change his last name then too.

I am saying what I said, the official portrait is a lot paler than the man is in real life. Kind of puts me in the mind of how the standard image of Jesus in the west is also a lot paler than Jesus would have been in real life.
    Regarding the photo It could the flash itself and anyone who knows anything about ISO and the flash of camera will know that that it will whiten out a face.

The flash is so strong that there is lens flair coming off of the guys teeth. I notice that the google image search I linked to earlier contains a lot of portrait photos that manage to avoid any flash issues.
    so the precious princess race baiters here

I see this is going to be a thoughtful and mature debate :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Jindal is Indian. There is no secret, no embarrassment, no reticence about it. He himself frequently calls attention to his heritage and his experiences as an immigrant to the US. His wife, Supriya, is also Indian - born in New Delhi - and their eldest son is Shaan. This is not a family who are trying to pass as WASPs.

Both the portraits shown in this thread look pretty poor to me. I think there are questions to be asked about whether the taxpayers of Louisiana have got value for the money paid to the artist. If Jindal had any say in composing or approving the portraits - and of course he may not have - I think there are questions to be asked about his artistic judgment.

But attempts to parlay this into a suggestion that Jindal is in denial about his ethnicity are just silly. If that's the implication it's not the (very conservative) Jindal who is being half-baked on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Sorry to phone users for huge photos, couldn't make smaller. The only thing the artist did that used his/her artistic license in this portrait was make Jindal's ears charitably smaller (by a touch. 10mm in real life at most), his chin a little rounder, and tbh, that's a pretty common thing to do in portraiture. Most artists will downplay the outstanding features a small bit. Not good, but it happens. However, the artist got the colour from the photo a bit darker if anything, and the skin tones show considerable skill.

Peregrinus, you're right to an extent with this
    I think there are questions to be asked about whether the taxpayers of Louisiana have got value for the money paid to the artist. If Jindal had any say in composing or approving the portraits - and of course he may not have - I think there are questions to be asked about his artistic judgment.
    Whoever picked that photo did not predict a backlash over his colour in the photo compared to a less lit, more true to life one. Can't imagine it was the artist picking the photo personally. Jindal is probably (was probably) very proud of that photo due to his nice composed smile. Somebody overlooked his colour (which is pertinent, I think).

official_headshot_of_gov-_bobby_jindal_.jpg
    B89W2DUIQAEdTg4.jpg:large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was unaware of Jindal until he gave an interview about 'no-go' areas. Was he able to identify any when asked by the journalist? Of course not.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    But attempts to parlay this into a suggestion that Jindal is in denial about his ethnicity are just silly.

:confused: That's presumably why nobody made that suggestion then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

robindch wrote: »
    Bobby Jindal is the Republican governor of Louisiana. Jindal's parents are both immigrants from India, not that you'd guess it from his latest official portrait:
    Epic fail in truth here. Actually that was not his official portrait at all.
    Humble apologies and many thanks for taking the time out to research this issue as you have.

You are quite correct to point out that the "white" picture of Jindal isn't his "latest official portrait" as I'd said in the original post. Instead I should have referred to it as a "completely unofficial portrait hanging in the governor's office, no doubt much to his total bewilderment".

His "official portrait", as the article I linked to makes clear, is the one where his skin is significantly more well tanned than it appears in the "unofficial portrait", probably just a few feet away.

I'm sure Jindal has an excellent explanation for why he's painted as a white guy (though I haven't been able to to find it) And why it's hanging up in his office? Or indeed, why does he have two pictures of himself hanging up in his office in the first place? Is he planning to go all Michael Jackson on us?

I see this is going to be a thoughtful and mature debate :rolleyes:.

Thoughtful and mature debate on what actually? The tonal range of a fecking portrait?

Next week, Bobby Jindal office apologies for the fact his office ran out of black biros. This was not done as a deliberate affront to the african american electorate of Louisiana nor indeed that he wanted to down-play his own blackness. Office manager has been fired and steps have been put in place to never ever ever run out of black biros again.

The tonal range of a fecking portrait?
    In the context of a right-wing political candidate from a racial group not traditionally associated with right-wingers in the USA, the "tonal range of a fecking portrait" is worthy of comment.

• Advertisement

Thoughtful and mature debate on what actually? The tonal range of a fecking portrait?

Next week, Bobby Jindal office apologies for the fact his office ran out of black biros. This was not done as a deliberate affront to the african american electorate of Louisiana nor indeed that he wanted to down-play his own blackness. Office manager has been fired and steps have been put in place to never ever ever run out of black biros again.

When you have no comeback for a post, it's probably better to just stay quiet, rather than remind everyone of the problems with your tonal range.

In other words:
    chief-wiggum-300x225.png

In the context of a right-wing political candidate from a racial group not traditionally associated with right-wingers in the USA, the "tonal range of a fecking portrait" is worthy of comment.

Proving Jindal's point there me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, the FCC has decided to class broadband as a public utility, prompting much bitching from the right. Among them is Mark Cuban, worth about $3bn who has this to say to right-wing blog Breitbart.com:
    Dallas Mavericks owner and investor Mark Cuban predicted that proposed FCC Internet regulations will end up impacting TV and “your TV as you know it is over” on Thursday’s “Squawk Alley” on CNBC.

Cuban began by predicting “the courts will rule the Internet for the next however many years.” He then explained, “let’s just take it all the way through its logical conclusion. All bits are bits, all bits are equal. If all bits are equal, then let’s look at what a stream bit is an example. So when Henry and I do an interview, and it’s streamed lived on the Internet, there’s a camera, it goes through an encoder, it sends it out via server or some manner to the Internet, you click on Business Insider and you watch the stream, right? Now, let’s look at CNBC on Comcast. There’s cameras right in front of you, they go through a switcher, they go through an encoder, it’s put through a server, it goes to Comcast, and it’s streamed in a managed service environment to television. It’s the exact same thing. And if it’s the exact same thing technologically and all bits are equal, then why shouldn’t CNBC and all TV networks that are delivered on cable, and Telco, and fiber like Verizon, why shouldn’t they be part of the open Internet as well? And if they are and all bits are equal, now, let’s take it one step further. It’s the purview of the FCC now. The FCC, right? So, the FCC now has to apply their same standards to content, don’t they, that they do to television content because that’s where it is and there’s going to be certain citizens who think ‘well now, since all content is delivered over the Internet because all bits are bits, and it’s a fair, and open, and equal Internet — decency standards.’ And remember the FCC is the same agency that fought Nipplegate for eight years over a wardrobe malfunction.”

He added, “your TV as you know it is over.”

Cuban further said that due to court and regulatory battles that will ensue if the proposed regulations are adopted, innovation online will be halted, declaring “if you love the Internet the way you know it today, this is what you’re going to have for a long time. But, if you’re like me, and you think the best is yet to come, then you don’t the FCC involved because of all the uncertainty.”

Cuban also commented on the transparency regarding of the FCC’s regulation process, sarcastically remarking “lots of transparency, right? Yeah, Lots of transparency.” And “that’s the FCC, that’s the Department of Internet that we’re going to get, no transparency.”

Excuse me while I go find a sad violin clip on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, the FCC has decided to class broadband as a public utility, prompting much bitching from the right. Among them is Mark Cuban, worth about $3bn who has this to say to right-wing blog Breitbart.com:

Ah Breitbart! They make the Daily Mail look positively ethical in comparison!

This was doing the rounds on twitter from American friends:

B-y3PxJVEAA-I2u.jpg:large

If they posted an article about how water is wet, I'd still look for another source :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I just roll my eyes every time I see companies like verizon and comcast express concern over the poor customers that will suffer. The very same customers which are fed up with their ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Phil Robertson (Expert on ducks) talks STDs at CPAC.
    Duck Dynasty television star Phil Robertson told the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Friday that 110 million Americans were infected with sexually transmitted diseases and that it was “the revenge of the hippies.”“In case one of you gets to be president of the United States, make sure you carry your Bible and your woman,” the reality star advised. “I’m just saying, safety. Safety.”

Philip decided to dress as a member of IS, carrying a gun and holy book as part of his ensemble. His tongue-in-cheek routine got a few laughs from the elderly crowd, who possess neither the eyesight nor hearing to understand what was really going on.

"My eyes and ears are knackered" said one frail octogenarian, who, despite her weak appearance still held some pretty harsh views on race and sexuality. "But I clap anyway." "And there doesn't seem to be any queers, ****, spicks, wops or chinks in here, which is the way it should be", she rambled on. She then said something about Jesus but we had begun moving away at that stage.

One Republican, who wishes not to be named admitted: "For us in the GOP, the election cannot come quick enough. Our voters aren't getting any younger. I don't mean to sound cold but they're dropping like flies."

Bobby Jindal is the Republican governor of Louisiana. Jindal's parents are both immigrants from India, not that you'd guess it from his latest official portrait:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/02/03/notice-anything-odd-about-the-portrait-of-louisiana-governor-bobby-jindal-hanging-up-in-his-office/

338052.png

That's probably as amazing as that Jesus painting.

ht_spanish_painting_jesus_badly_restored_thg_120822_wblog.jpg

It's a little darker, but he doesn't really look Indian in the real official portrait either. This seems to the photo the real portrait is based on:
    official_headshot_of_gov-_bobby_jindal_.jpg
    He is pretty light skinned in the photo (big bright light directly in his face), his skin is not nearly that pale in any of the other pictures that appear in a google image search of the guy.

Slightly lighter than this:

Jindal.jpg

Regarding the photo It could the flash itself and anyone who knows anything about ISO and the flash of camera will know that that it will whiten out a face. I suppose they should have gotten a PC approved indian flash..:roll eyes: or photoshopped it to make it darker so the precious princess race baiters here and elsewhere don't feel so offended about a stupid picture of some dude on the other side of the world they have never met..!!

Seriously though are we really going to start a discussion on the how red/brown the guys portrait is? Scraping the bottom of a barrel if you ask me. Perhaps you should read Bobby Jindals comments on this incident, the more people go on about it, the more he is right IMO.

You have to be extracting the urine. You're taking the Michael. Even by your standards.

Do tell us more about ISO flash, and while you're at it, do a simple Google image search of Mr Jindal. Then look at the painting again, and this time use your eyes to look at it, not your chin.

• Advertisement

I just roll my eyes every time I see companies like verizon and comcast express concern over the poor customers that will suffer. The very same customers which are fed up with their ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

[OUTUBE]M0sAVtOt2wA[/YOUTUBE]

Sums up my view of them perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/04/politics/ben-carson-prisons-gay-choice/

Washington (CNN)Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson apologized for commenting Wednesday that prisoners' changes after they leave jail proves being gay is a choice, but said that the science is still murky on the issue.

And then, in a radio appearance later Wednesday, he criticized CNN for airing the comments he'd made in an interview and said he won't be addressing gay rights issues for the duration of his presidential campaign.

Carson had asserted Wednesday morning on CNN's "New Day" that homosexuality is a choice because people "go into prison straight -- and when they come out, they're gay."

He backtracked in a statement afterward, saying he "realized that my choice of language does not reflect fully my heart on gay issues."

"I do not pretend to know how every individual came to their sexual orientation. I regret that my words to express that concept were hurtful and divisive. For that I apologize unreservedly to all that were offended," he added.

Carson referenced his medical education and his work at Johns Hopkins Hospital and asserted that the verdict is still out on whether people are born either gay or straight.

"Some of our brightest minds have looked at this debate, and up until this point there have been no definitive studies that people are born into a specific sexuality," he said.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

The "neurosurgeon Ben Carson" may be very dexterous and a good problem solver for matters pertaining to the nervous system, but he clearly has no imagination.

In my imagination it isn't too much of a stretch to think that, were I incarcerated for over 6 months among women much, much tougher than myself, I would be clever enough and horny enough to put myself up for a bit of light relief with the alpha female.

But then, being an atheist, I have no morals :pac:;). Plenty of smarts though, and few assumptions (even about myself).

Shrap wrote: »
    The "neurosurgeon Ben Carson" may be very dexterous and a good problem solver for matters pertaining to the nervous system, but he clearly has no imagination.
    The New Yorker looks into Ben Carson and finds that he's the latest in a long, long line of the predictably stupid selling the paranoid to the dumb:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/ben-carson-paranoid

Elsewhere, HuffPo investigates the appeal of UKIP to a similar voting public:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jon-young/ukip-nigel-farage_b_6824018.html

Son of a Cuban immigrant and born in Canada -- anybody remember the republican-promoted birther controversy? -- Republican wingnut, Tea Partier, and all-round fruitcake, Ted Cruz becomes the first to declare a candidacy for next year's Presidential election next year in the USA:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/22/us-republican-ted-cruz-to-announce-presidential-run

Meanwhile, his Cuban father who's a fundamentalist preacher, and in no way "ruled by his instincts", suggests that atheists and secular humanists should be rounded up into camps and shot if they escape:

http://www.newslo.com/ted-cruzs-father-suggests-placing-atheists-in-camps/
    newslo wrote:
    Rafael Cruz, father of Texas Senator and Tea-Party favorite Ted Cruz, spoke recently against atheism and secular humanism at a gathering of an Oklahoma Second Amendment advocacy group. He claimed that the belief systems are two of the main ills facing our society, that they lead to sexual perversion, sexual abuse, and the complete loss of hope, and that people following these two views should be rounded up and placed in special ‘camps’ to keep them separated from the rest of America.

“If there is no God, then we are ruled by our instincts,” he said. “Of course, this leads us, when there are no moral absolutes, leads us to sexual immorality, leads us to sexual abuse, leads us to perversion and, of course, no hope. No hope!”

In the past, Cruz, an evangelical preacher and avowed creationist, has claimed that God endorses the Death Penalty, that evolution is a communist trick aimed at converting people to atheism, that legalizing gay marriage will lead to preachers being arrested for hate speech just for reading the Bible, and that President Obama is a tyrant who needs to go back to Kenya. This is, however, the first time he’s laid out his plan on how to save mankind from secular humanism.

See Also: Cruz: “I’m Ok With Gay Marriage, As Long As It’s Between A Gay And A Lesbian”

He warned that atheists are in danger of corrupting the youth of America and called for action before America was overrun. His solution to what he termed ‘the problem of the Godless’ is the creation of a series of ‘Heathen Zones’- fenced-in camps located mostly in Northern California and Vermont.

“It’s a free country,” he said. “If these people need to practice their holy rites of atheism, they can do so, as long as they are in clearly-marked encampments far away from the rest of us. While they’re in their Heathen Zones, they’re free to dance naked around the fire, brand the mark of the Devil on their flesh or whatever else they want to do,” he added. “Of course, if they step one foot outside the electrified fence we shoot them between the eyes. Two or three times, just to be sure.”

He also argued that any children spawned in these camps would be removed at birth so they would not be drawn into secular humanism via their birth-mother’s tainted breast milk.

• Advertisement

Thread renamed now that the presidential season is now formally open again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Thread renamed now that the presidential season is now formally open again.

Shouldn't we wait until atleast when the fruitcake stalls in the UK are closed down on 8th May next. Surely there's still some Kipper fruitiness to be mined still?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

they’re free to dance naked around the fire, brand the mark of the Devil on their flesh or whatever else they want to do

That's it, I can't be an atheist anymore. Nobody should have to see me dance. Or see me naked, for that matter. And the 'branding on the flesh' bit wasn't in the brochure either (all they had was a photo of Christopher Hitchens hugging a wabbit).

Sad growls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ted Cruz is frightening little girls now.

Via http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/
    "The whole world is on fire."
    -- Sen. Ted Cruz, during a stump speech in New Hampshire

"The world is on fire?"
    -- Three-year-old Julie Trant, sitting on her mother's lap

"The world is on fire, yes. Your world is on fire."
    -- Cruz

Scrap the cap!

Mr Cruz, one need hardly add is a climate-change denier, but one who manages to reconcile this with his position as chair of the Senate Space, Science, and Competitiveness Subcommittee, received a lesson in basic science last week from the head of NASA. Mr Cruz appears to wish to stop any space-based observation of Earth:

http://secondnexus.com/ecology-and-sustainability/nasa-lesson-science/

• Advertisement

Even Faux News is getting in on the Ted Cruz bash along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Mr Cruz, one need hardly add is a climate-change denier, but one who manages to reconcile this with his position as chair of the Senate Space, Science, and Competitiveness Subcommittee, received a lesson in basic science last week from the head of NASA. Mr Cruz appears to wish to stop any space-based observation of Earth:

http://secondnexus.com/ecology-and-sustainability/nasa-lesson-science/

Worried they're takin Gods job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Republican and all round religious nutcase says Transgender people are Driven By A Demonic 'Predatory Spirit Of Sexual Exploitation'

It would be comical if this lunatic wasn't state legislator of Colorado

Links234 wrote: »
    Republican and all round religious nutcase says Transgender people are Driven By A Demonic 'Predatory Spirit Of Sexual Exploitation'

It would be comical if this lunatic wasn't state legislator of Colorado

It's really hard to see how we got from the incident in paragraph A....

"Like other Religious Right activists, Gordon Klingenschmitt is outraged that a Planet Fitness franchise in Michigan revoked the membership of a customer who wouldn't stop complaining after a transgender woman hung up her coat and purse in the women’s locker room and so he is now calling for a national boycott of the fitness chain."

.....to the scenario proposed in paragraph B

"On his "Pray In Jesus Name" program today, the Colorado Republican state legislator said that "there is a demonic spirit of lying" inside of transgender people, whom he said are "parading their parts" in front of small children because they are driven by "a predatory spirit of sexual exploitation."
    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/klingenschmitt-transgender-people-are-driven-demonic-predatory-spirit-sexual-exploitation

Doubtless Mr Klingenshitt has put the usual logic into use and decided to scream "Paedos!!!!" as an answer to every question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nodin wrote: »
    Mr Klingenshitt

I see what you did there, and I approve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Not sure what this guys political leanings are, though I am guessing not democrat. Not sure what his political aspirations are, but he looks like a shoe in.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Sodomite Supression Act.

MrP

Nodin wrote: »
    It's really hard to see how we got from the incident in paragraph A....

.....to the scenario proposed in paragraph B

Doubtless Mr Klingenshitt has put the usual logic into use and decided to scream "Paedos!!!!" as an answer to every question.

The logic is kinda simple to follow when you consider that the right-wing religious nutcases tactics in response to trans people is to scaremonger about potential rapists/paedophiles. Much like when the same people bring up similar comparisons in same sex marriage debates, I'm sure we've all heard the one that goes "If you allow two men to get married, a couple of paedos will marry each other so they can adopt a child and take turns buggering them!"?

Flinginschitt takes it a whole step further and rather than scaremonger that people will take advantage of new laws etc, he just goes ahead and assumes that all trans people really are rapists/paedophiles. It comes down to a basic lack of empathy I think, if you can't see trans people as human beings and really are who they say they are, then you start thinking of other reasons why a person would transition and I guess some will assume trans people are all perverts then. I think it says more about him than it does about us. :)

Oh, and as an aside, I'm always amused that he also goes by the nickname Dr. Chaps. That's always worth a giggle.

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »

Oh, and as an aside, I'm always amused that he also goes by the nickname Dr. Chaps. That's always worth a giggle.

He's no Dave Lee Roth for sure.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Not sure what this guys political leanings are, though I am guessing not democrat. Not sure what his political aspirations are, but he looks like a shoe in.

MrP

Now there's a charmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Mike is not the full shilling.

A vote for him is not a vote for change.

Scrap the cap!

MrP

WTF?! Do they not have some incitement to hatred laws that can stop this guy from advocating "death to gays"?? Some of these people are making Putin look like a bit of a light weight, and that's saying something. The US and Russia have much more in common than you might think at this stage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

He's probably kicking himself that there's no Christian equivalent to IS.

...well, at least on his side of the Atlantic.

WTF?! Do they not have some incitement to hatred laws that can stop this guy from advocating "death to gays"?? Some of these people are making Putin look like a bit of a light weight, and that's saying something. The US and Russia have much more in common than you might think at this stage :mad:
    Presumably he is protected because it is his genuinely held, religiously motivated, bible inspired belief.

There is a petition running to have him disbarred.

MrP

We could have an entire thread dedicated to the sheer insanity that Gordon Klingenschmitt regularly spouts, recently there was a horrific case where a pregnant woman was attacked and the child was cut out of her, he said that this was god's curse on America for abortion. ****ing hell. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He shouldn't be stopped. The more (non fanatic) people get exposed to this sort of lunacy, the faster religion loses it's grip on society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Presumably he is protected because it is his genuinely held, religiously motivated, bible inspired belief.
    Nope, he's protected because (a) Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, and (b) the California Constitution gives citizens the right to bring forward ballot proposals. The Courts may squash the proposal if it's repugnant to the Constitution, but you can't be sanctioned for bringing it forward.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nope, he's protected because (a) Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, and (b) the California Constitution gives citizens the right to bring forward ballot proposals. The Courts may squash the proposal if it's repugnant to the Constitution, but you can't be sanctioned for bringing it forward.
    Yeah, and all that stuff too. :D

MrP

Advertisement